NEW TRAILER: State of Play May 2019

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but I really liked the range of expression you see on Cloud's face after he says "I'm fine" to Aeirth. You can see a whole thought process go through his mind before she gets in front of him again. It really stood out as impressive to me.

Thank you for reminding me of this. That really stood out to me as well. The emotion coming across is not just in your face, but layered. This is going to be so fantastic for a variety of scenes.

Ariga

Sephiroth's Best Friend
I'm so happy we got a trailer last night!

Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this but I'm sure there was a shortcut menu like in KH series in the trailer.

Also, Aeris looks amazing. She looks more like I imagined her than in Crisis Core and Advent Children. And do Cloud and Sephiroth have different voice actors?

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Thank you for reminding me of this. That really stood out to me as well. The emotion coming across is not just in your face, but layered. This is going to be so fantastic for a variety of scenes.
Totally agree with what you both say. That bit made me think of the intensity of Aerith's line "I want to know the real you," later on - just from that first interaction between them, you know that she's going to be hunting for the real him for that first third to half of the game. Gah, this is all going to be ... so ... so emotional and epic in so many ways. Not just these two of course, but all over the goddamn park.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but I really liked the range of expression you see on Cloud's face after he says "I'm fine" to Aeirth. You can see a whole thought process go through his mind before she gets in front of him again. It really stood out as impressive to me.

YESSSS!! I was thinking that the entire trailer, like, Cloud looks so alive you know? It's a far cry from the stiff faced brooding we get in most of Advent Children. Haha, even the way his eyes popped wide open in response to Aerith presenting a flower to him was great!

1557486746185.gif

Whaaat?? Expression?? From Cloud??

I'm just sooooo sooo happy and reassured by this trailer and seeing a range of emotion from Cloud Strife is one of the many reasons why. ? I was totally afraid that we were gonna get that flanderised, angsty grump bump you see in KH lmao. Can you imagine?

"Are you okay?"
*turns head away, eyes closed*
"...Whatever."

1557486556575.gif

Ugh!! My heart!! NOTHING can bring me down today!! AAHHH!! I LOVE YOU ALL!!

*continues to twirl around with glee*

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Why is Sephiroth appearing at the reactor explosion? Is Cloud hallucinating? Did they intercut footage from Nibelheim?

Yeh, I just had a think. Cuz OG Cloud blacks out and sees Tifa and her dad in the reactor eh? So maybe Seph's presence is related to that event? With Nibelheim burning? But then (as you mentioned in the discord lmao) why would he bring up the Planet when Cloud cares fuck all at this point? Maybe Cloud is projecting present-day problems onto the hallucinations from the past? Like when folks have dreams of a someone they knew long ago that either passed on or whom they no longer associate with, but those ghosts bring up shit relevant to their present life despite that being impossible cuz it's all in your subconscious and things get all mixed up there. Interesting. I really hope they have fun with that!!

That being said, I also hope they still keep the reveal of Nibelheim's burning a surprise for later in the game!

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm pretty sure Sephiroth is just Cloud hallucinating. After an explosion and surrounded by flames it puts him in mind of Nibelheim. A manifestation of times when he hears his voice in the original. They could still hide Sephiroth's face in this moments. Also also, it's not like there's anyone who doesn't know what he looks like at this point :lol:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So I found a few images that clearly weren't taken from the YouTube'd trailer on an article for IGN Spain (haven't found a counterpart on IGN US).

Direct link to the gallery: https://es.ign.com/final-fantasy-vi...make-imagenes-del-primer-trailer-con-gameplay (it should go without saying that images without "screenshot" in the filename are those that SE must've given out for article purposes)

Comparing them more, especially the one of Aerith (note the hair, shadowing, etc) these are either pre-rendered to look the best they can, or perhaps from a more advanced, more polished version from however long after the yesterday's teaser was made (hoping for the latter)?

Trailer:
4BCZd9u.jpg

IGN:
mKkyVMv.jpg

I wonder if the differences are related to just the quality of the video file itself. Especially when it comes to video compression and the max YouTube trailer resolution being 1080p vs. the game itself almost certainly running at 4k, if you're screen capturing anything from the raw game output vs. pulling out those frames that were rendered in the trailer's resolution after whatever you get from the video conversion. That seems most apparent in the Cross Slash image, since you can see the motion blur effect just being a part of the swing of the attack, and other things like the little light blooms from the sparks.

X :neo:

I'm pretty sure Sephiroth is just Cloud hallucinating. After an explosion and surrounded by flames it puts him in mind of Nibelheim. A manifestation of times when he hears his voice in the original. They could still hide Sephiroth's face in this moments. Also also, it's not like there's anyone who doesn't know what he looks like at this point :lol:

Yeah, no doubt - it's the taunting about the Planet that makes no sense from the POV of the original narrative.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, no doubt - it's the taunting about the Planet that makes no sense from the POV of the original narrative.
I don't really see why Sephiroth's "Can you bear to see the Planet suffer, Cloud?" precludes it being an hallucination from an early part of the game? Given Cloud's reluctance to give a shit at this stage, it could just be Sephiroth messing with his mind and asking the question sarcastically (if not a projection of Cloud's own oscillation at this point).

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I think the thing that really does strike me the most now is the expressive faces. In particular, the sequence of Cloud and Aerith meeting. There's a whole complex range of emotions in microseconds. You can absolutely read how dazed Cloud is and how he's trying to shake off probably a monster migrain from whatever vision or mental glitch he just suffered. Meanwhile with Aerith you can see her expression go from puzzlement to concern, to determined optimism in one fluid change of expression.

Final Fantasy XV was really good at facial expressions, but this is a whole new level of expressiveness for me.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Any references to sephiroths in the trailer won't be from nibelheim, the game is gonna be segmented which more than likely means we're only gonna see a reveal for the first segment of the game. I doubt they have even completed making the nibelheim segment.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't really see why Sephiroth's "Can you bear to see the Planet suffer, Cloud?" precludes it being an hallucination from an early part of the game? Given Cloud's reluctance to give a shit at this stage, it could just be Sephiroth messing with his mind and asking the question sarcastically (if not a projection of Cloud's own oscillation at this point).

Bingo.

I wouldn't be surprised if the story uses a Sephiroth hallucination to portray the mental angst and instability within Cloud at this point.

The whole issue Cloud had in the original (aside from the obvious Jenova mimicry, of course) was his inability to tell reality from illusion. Between his false memories, repressed insecurities, and fear of confronting the truth, it is not surprising to see Cloud having moments where he's not just having fits and hearing voices.. But even seeing ghosts from his past as well. Ghosts from a past he doesn't understand and is afraid to confront at this point.

I think the real interesting question to consider however, is whether the mental hallucination of Sephiroth is originating from Cloud's own tumultuous subconscious, or is it in fact a mental projection Sephiroth is using to manipulate him on his path to Reunion?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

If my theory is correct, this takes place right after Cloud has his first mental recall in the game about Sephiroth. The setting's weirdly broken pavement is very reminiscent of the road leading to Sector 5 park (Which oh my god, they missed an opportunity to show that here, whyyyy?), and that's where that scene happens.

So I predict that Cloud has a hallucination that melds the reality of where he is with the burning Nibelhiem that he associates so strongly with Sephiroth in the first place.

I'm very curious how prevalent these "Mental Glitches" are going to be, since now he's getting them even at times when he did't in the original game, what with his behavior when meeting Aerith for the first time.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
If my theory is correct, this takes place right after Cloud has his first mental recall in the game about Sephiroth. The setting's weirdly broken pavement is very reminiscent of the road leading to Sector 5 park (Which oh my god, they missed an opportunity to show that here, whyyyy?), and that's where that scene happens.

So I predict that Cloud has a hallucination that melds the reality of where he is with the burning Nibelhiem that he associates so strongly with Sephiroth in the first place.

I'm very curious how prevalent these "Mental Glitches" are going to be, since now he's getting them even at times when he did't in the original game, what with his behavior when meeting Aerith for the first time.
Indeed, and also if they keep that mental glitch he suffers from PSX 15, when confronted by the Shinra soldiers just before jumping on the train. Which is extremely shortly after meeting Aerith here. So we could see a hell of a lot of this in the very first part of the game, perhaps until he falls into the Church and maybe then it calms down a bit for a while.

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
I wonder if the differences are related to just the quality of the video file itself. Especially when it comes to video compression and the max YouTube trailer resolution being 1080p vs. the game itself almost certainly running at 4k, if you're screen capturing anything from the raw game output vs. pulling out those frames that were rendered in the trailer's resolution after whatever you get from the video conversion. That seems most apparent in the Cross Slash image, since you can see the motion blur effect just being a part of the swing of the attack, and other things like the little light blooms from the sparks.

X :neo:

You can download this and others HD imagen from official PlayStationBlog Flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/sets/72157662070285225

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm under the impression that they're going to play-up Cloud's "mental episodes" more than the original game did, if this trailer and the previous one are anything to go by, so I'm fairly certain that Sephiroth's appearance here is related to those. Judging from cloud's surroundings in the trailer, it looks like he's still in the Mako reactor, maybe after the guard scorpion fight of after the bomb has gone off. I'm guessing being surrounded in flames triggered a flash-back. The whole "Can you bear to see the Planet suffer, Cloud?" could relate to Barret's insistence on AVALANCHE's goals being met with Cloud's disinterest, "Not interested." It might be to show that Cloud does care more than he's letting on, and his subconscious is reflecting his guilt back at him with the visage of his enemy. As for why Sephiroth is being shoehorned in this early, I'm really thinking at this point that part 1 of the remake will JUST be Midgar, which by the original game would leave Sephiroth's reveal for part 2, so they probably wanted to include him in part 1 in some capacity. I'm hoping we don't see his face full-on until the Niblehiem flashback.

Top Bottom