Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I always thought Rufus was definitely dead...before AC that is. That blast just didn’t seem like something anyone could survive. And since seeing
the actual scale of weapons
in Kingsglaive...nah...I just can’t understand how he’d survive. :nah:

As I was correctly reminded when I started complaining about Jessie's character model - it's a fantasy! If Tifa can survive being submerged in liquid lifestream for half an hour, and if Shera can survive being fried alive by the rocket engines of a launching spaceship, surely Rufus can survive being blasted by shoulder bullets from a gigantic organic semi-sentient WOMD.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I would not be happy if they changed the plot so that Shinra are no longer trying to do something productive about Meteor. In fact I would not be happy if they reduced the moral ambiguity of all the various agents in any way, such as reducing the casualities of the first reactor bombing, or eliminating Reeve's involvement in Marlene's kidnapping, etc...
Oh I agree, I think it's a good think that Shinra is/was trying to do something productive about Meteor. I just think that their should be better motivation/justification for Avalanche to try impede Shinra's Huge Materia quest, because as its stands in the OG the reasoning they gave is rather weak and makes Avalanche look kinda stupid for trying sabotage a viable solution to stopping Meteor.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
If Tifa can survive being submerged in liquid lifestream for half an hour, and if Shera can survive being fried alive by the rocket engines of a launching spaceship, surely Rufus can survive being blasted by shoulder bullets from a gigantic organic semi-sentient WOMD.

giphy.gif

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well in the case of Rufus it was very coherent, which made AC incoherent for bringing him back. I will admit, it isn't really necessary to underline the point, bold it, and have an exclamation point after it....but I don't want them making it ambiguous either, for the sake of maybe bringing him back.
All they need do is render it as they did in the original, because the ambiguity is built in.

Even in the original, you can see his reflection on his desk after he's disappeared from sight in the explosion -- it almost looks like he's been blasted backwards over the desk. The explanation about his survival ended up describing things precisely as that. :monster:

Speaking of "bringing him back": wasn't also Don Corneo alive in one of the novellas, despite falling to his death in Wutai?

Rufus surviving can make sense with that secret door in the floor narrative, even if unlikely. But the Don? That one bothers me.
Corneo was still severely injured and permanently crippled by it, though, and he was at least put to good use in "The Kids Are Alright."

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
All they need do is render it as they did in the original, because the ambiguity is built in.

Even in the original, you can see his reflection on his desk after he's disappeared from sight in the explosion -- it almost looks like he's been blasted backwards over the desk. The explanation about his survival ended up describing things precisely as that. :monster:

Corneo was still severely injured and permanently crippled by it, though, and he was at least put to good use in "The Kids Are Alright."

Needs scars, Rufus does. And I don't mean geostigma either. Actual burn scars. That is assuming he can't just stay dead.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
The secret door thing always felt kinda pointless to me. The original scene has him face WEAPON unflinching...and then he scuttles of to hide in his super duper panic room? What does that gain over the Turks just climbing the building and finding him at his desk?

Re the rocket, I think why they did it is made clear enough afterwards, when they're on the bridge of the Highwind and the Planet starts screaming in pain. Last time they needed Bugenhagen's equipment to hear it, but it was so badly hurt by losing the Huge Materia that it can now just by heard on their airship by themselves.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The secret door thing always felt kinda pointless to me. The original scene has him face WEAPON unflinching...and then he scuttles of to hide in his super duper panic room? What does that gain over the Turks just climbing the building and finding him at his desk?

For me, that sub-plot added a lot to Rufus's characterization, his father's, and their relationship.

Clement said:
Re the rocket, I think why they did it is made clear enough afterwards, when they're on the bridge of the Highwind and the Planet starts screaming in pain. Last time they needed Bugenhagen's equipment to hear it, but it was so badly hurt by losing the Huge Materia that it can now just by heard on their airship by themselves.
It isn't required that the Huge Materia be lost, though, so this happens either way.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I feel like it could be accomplished differently easily enough. He sees the L plate on his desk, next to the keypad, and figures out how to get into the supplies using his birthday the same way.

It isn't required that the Huge Materia be lost, though, so this happens either way.

True, but then the rocket itself just hurts the Planet futilely?

Maybe we could have multiple outcomes. the More Huge Materia you save, the bigger the blast for Meteor is, but the more damaged the Planet is.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
True, but then the rocket itself just hurts the Planet futilely?

How so?

Clement said:
Maybe we could have multiple outcomes. the More Huge Materia you save, the bigger the blast for Meteor is, but the more damaged the Planet is.
Wouldn't the blast be bigger for having extracted fewer Huge Materia?

In either case, I like this idea of having multiple outcomes, but it would require a creative incentive to get players to just sacrifice the Huge Materia rather than retrieve it.

So, do you think that Rufus should get more characterization?

I'm confident that he will (because I expect everyone will), but I think what he got in the original game was sufficient.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
How so?

Wouldn't the blast be bigger for having extracted fewer Huge Materia?

In either case, I like this idea of having multiple outcomes, but it would require a creative incentive to get players to just sacrifice the Huge Materia rather than retrieve it.

I'm confident that he will (because I expect everyone will), but I think what he got in the original game was sufficient.

I also think he will go back to being an only child again.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Actually, I wouldn't mind siblings existing myself....but legitimate ones, so that there is some sort of succession crisis subplot within Shinra or something. Or uncles or cousins or.....

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Actually, I wouldn't mind siblings existing myself....but legitimate ones, so that there is some sort of succession crisis subplot within Shinra or something. Or uncles or cousins or.....

They will probably make President still a horndog. Or make it more clear if his wife is dead or not.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of 'deaths you don't 100% confirm but were pretty damn strongly implied until AC', what's your guys thoughts on Tseng? If I recall correctly, there was some issue about the translation, the English is something like "I'm done for...", with the Japanese implying he was just badly wounded. But I always thought he was fucked. Like with Rufus, I'm not saying they have to like, show his funeral or something, but I prefer him being 'dead'.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of 'deaths you don't 100% confirm but were pretty damn strongly implied until AC', what's your guys thoughts on Tseng? If I recall correctly, there was some issue about the translation, the English is something like "I'm done for...", with the Japanese implying he was just badly wounded. But I always thought he was fucked. Like with Rufus, I'm not saying they have to like, show his funeral or something, but I prefer him being 'dead'.

It's not just that. The way Elena accuses you at Icicle Inn also makes implications as well that can easily confuse the player.

Reactions: Ite

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
With Tseng, you last see him alive, and had made it to the entrance of the pyramid. I assume his helicopter was already on the way while you were talking to him. I'd be happy to consider him alive all along. Don Corneo, Hojo and Rufus, not so much.

Last edited:
Rufus4ever

That's cool that you prefer him being dead. I don't see why he can't be dead to you. It's like this: if they leave it ambiguous, then all the people (like me) who want to believe that Rufus and Tseng and Palmer survived, can happily go on believing it, and all the people who want to believe they bought the big one can believe that. If you insist on making them unambiguously dead, then half the fandom is disappointed. Is that fair? I don't see why we need to insist on these definitive answers. It's like the LTD. So many people demanding to know "but which one does he reeeaaallly love?" and totally ignoring all the other things these two pairings are telling us about relationships. We need to learn to tolerate uncertainty.
:desucait:

Last edited:

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
If I have learned anything from the fantasy genre, it’s if their heads don’t roll, they ain’t dead...but also they might be, which is irrelevant because they can still come back. :monster:

Also, ambiguity leaves room for speculation and debate, which this forum is rife with, and which I love.

P.s. “rife” is a new word for me. Hopefully I used it right. I’m just testing it out to see how I like it. :monster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom