New Trailer Incoming @ Concert

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Looks like ghosts are definitely being included in the remake now :mon:

Weren't there ghosts in Cosmo Canyon where Nanaki learned the truth about his father, though? I mean, I know there were never ghosts in Midgar, but unless I'm mistaken, there were evil spirits in the tunnel in Cosmo Canyon too.

The gameplay looks so amazingly fluid and thankfully NOT floaty and weird like KH. I love the way the aerial combat looks and the zoom in on character limit breaks. This is hype.

My guess is they wanted to avoid in making the Remake having the same gameplay like in KH and in FFXV.

I don't see how that would indicate that, he's just alerting the President what the group is calling itself.

And the fact that the iteration of AVALANCHE of FFVII isn't the first group of Planet protecting eco-terrorists to bear thst name wasn't exclusive or a plot point that originated from FFVII. Barret reveals he was inspired to use that name for his group from hearing about a scholar of planet life from Cosmo Canyon who wanted to stop Shinra. There were always 2 AVALANCHEs in the original FFVII. Barret wasn't the first to create it.

Not only that, but Before Crisis is one of the two origin stories with the other being Crisis Core. Before Crisis was basically revealing who the first AVALANCHE was as well as some of the back stories of the main characters(despite them being more guests than anything with the Turks being the main protagonists as the game also told the back-story of their Organization too).

But yeah, Barret's not the first guy to have started AVALANCHE.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Another thought, since the swirly black stuff reminded me of the SHM in AC:

This was Sephiroth's attempt to make remnants of himself, and is trying to practice harassing Cloud, (or grab the holy materia from Aerith) and it isn't until AC he gets the hang of making remnants or something. :monster: Crack theory, but it's a nice way to tie in to AC.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I don't see how that would indicate that, he's just alerting the President what the group is calling itself.

And the fact that the iteration of AVALANCHE of FFVII isn't the first group of Planet protecting eco-terrorists to bear that name wasn't exclusive to the Compilation or a plot point that originated from BC. Barret reveals he was inspired to use that name for his group from hearing about a scholar of planet life from Cosmo Canyon who wanted to stop Shinra and formed a group by that name. There were always 2 AVALANCHEs in the original FFVII. Barret wasn't the first to create it.
Yeah, that dialogue can be easy to miss, if you don't to all the party members in Cosmo Canyon when first visiting.Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 9.56.49 PM.png

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Weren't there ghosts in Cosmo Canyon where Nanaki learned the truth about his father, though? I mean, I know there were never ghosts in Midgar, but unless I'm mistaken, there were evil spirits in the tunnel in Cosmo Canyon too.

No.. The ghosts are literally only found in Midgar. Specifically the Train Graveyard.

The only other "ghost" you fight in the Cave of the Gi, are Gi Spectors, and Gi Nattak with the Soul Fires. The rest are undead zombie-like enemies.

So yeah, ghosts are quite at home in Midgar, so to speak.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Another thought, since the swirly black stuff reminded me of the SHM in AC:

This was Sephiroth's attempt to make remnants of himself, and is trying to practice harassing Cloud, (or grab the holy materia from Aerith) and it isn't until AC he gets the hang of making remnants or something. :monster: Crack theory, but it's a nice way to tie in to AC.
My guess is that these shadows are actually deseased people, who had Jenova cells in them, logically they can be manipulated from Sephiroth out of the Lifestream (or from his Mako Crystal). It's a similiar concept from AC with the Black Lifestream. That's what these men with the black capes are for, to be killed off and sacrificed to make him stronger.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
No.. The ghosts are literally only found in Midgar. Specifically the Train Graveyard.

The only other "ghost" you fight in the Cave of the Gi, are Gi Spectors, and Gi Nattak with the Soul Fires. The rest are undead zombie-like enemies.

So yeah, ghosts are quite at home in Midgar, so to speak.

That explains why I got confused.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
My guess is that these shadows are actually deseased people, who had Jenova cells in them, logically they can be manipulated from Sephiroth out of the Lifestream. It's a similiar concept from AC with the Black Lifestream.
That's what I was thinking, but brain too tired from hype. :monster:

Purple

Charmed
Guys. Something is really messing with my brain

a lot of folks over on Twitter are saying that it’s not Steve Burton...am I the only one who thinks it’s him?

And if that previous tweet is true about the concert being 2/3 Midi then that sucks for all those who attended

Anyway, I hope they release a longer trailer tomorrow. I can’t wait

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
My guess is that these shadows are actually deseased people, who had Jenova cells in them, logically they can be manipulated from Sephiroth out of the Lifestream (or from his Mako Crystal). It's a similiar concept from AC with the Black Lifestream. That's what these men with the black capes are for, to be killed off and sacrificed to make him stronger.

But why would he do that?

In FFVII, Sephiroth needs a physical, solid body to get him the Black Materia. That's why he took control of Jenova's body, made it take his form, and used Jenova as his physical means of enacting his plan of acquiring the Black Materia, and summoning Meteor.

Sephiroth doesn't need spirits or souls to manipulate in FFVII. He needs solid, living people.

Furthermore, Sephiroth only created the Negative Lifestream after FFVII in order to further his influence on the planet and complete his resurrection. Geostigma and the Negative Lifestream were meant to make people, specifically Cloud, remember him and Jenova as scourges of the planet, so that their memories of him, would give him form and memory of his appearance. Those spirits were cursed with his 'stigma' and made to be unable to join the planet properly.

Jenova's cells aren't corroding the Lifestream in FFVII because they aren't a massive presence in it. Jenova's sitting in the Shinra Building at this time. So how would Jenova's mimetic legacy be a threat in the Lifestream?

Honestly, those things swirling around Aerith are evil spirits/ghosts of some sort that are harassing her. Because she can hear and see spirits as a Cetra. It just makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

In FFVII, Sephiroth needs a physical, solid body to get him the Black Materia. That's why he took control of Jenova's body, made it take his form, and used Jenova as his physical means of enacting his plan of acquiring the Black Materia, and summoning Meteor.

Sephiroth doesn't need spirits or souls to manipulate in FFVII. He needs solid, living people.

Maybe it's to make it easier to absorb the souls from the Lifestream to give them false leads and not just focus on Cloud this time? It was his ultimate goal to destroy the Planet and reform it as it's God and have the Lifestream and all of the souls become one and part of him in the OG.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Maybe it's to make it easier to absorb the souls from the Lifestream to give them false leads and not just focus on Cloud this time? It was his ultimate goal to destroy the Planet and reform it as it's God and have the Lifestream and all of the souls become one and part of him in the OG.

...Wait what are you talking about?

How would Sephiroth making ghosts to torment Aerith and Cloud make it easier for him to absorb souls in the Lifestream?

And why would he give false leads to Cloud? Sephiroth wants Cloud to find the Black Materia so he can puppet Cloud and make him hand over the Black Materia.

I don't see how Sephiroth making spirits or remnants early in FFVII would make any sense or serve a purpose at all.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
...Wait what are you talking about?

How would Sephiroth making ghosts to torment Aerith and Cloud make it easier for him to absorb souls in the Lifestream?

And why would he give false leads to Cloud? Sephiroth wants Cloud to find the Black Materia so he can puppet Cloud and make him hand over the Black Materia.

I don't see how Sephiroth making spirits or remnants early in FFVII would make any sense or serve a purpose at all.

Well, number 1; I said maybe, so it's just a guess.

Number 2, wouldn't it make sense for Sephiroth to lead Cloud on a false path to slowly make him his puppet to hand the Black Materia in the Remake? Like how Ansem lead Riku down the path of Darkness in KH1 and ten years earlier Xehanort did the same with Terra in both attempts to make them his vessels...Without the Materia part, I mean.

Finally, number 3, Sephiroth revealed his plot to Tseng in the Temple of Ancients. Not making remnants per se, but this is the Remake and already it's different compared to the OG.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover

Honestly, those things swirling around Aerith are evil spirits/ghosts of some sort that are harassing her. Because she can hear and see spirits as a Cetra. It just makes the most sense.
Maybe I forced this connection with Sephiroth, because his new Key Art shows him besides this creepy shadows, and one of them looks like it has a hoody on? But now that I think about it, they were used by Hojo to make the search for Sephiroth much easier, because of the reunion effect they would lead him directly to his beloved son (subject)... argh, I give up, hopefully we get more info about the more drastical changes tomorrow!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Weren't the Sephiroth clones wearing black coats and hoods though?(and no, I'm not talking about Organization XIII, lol) Maybe these are the new designs of those guys, considering how they all acted like Zombies in Nibelhiem, only they were trying to reach Sephiroth and the Black Materia.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well, if we're going by the original unused ideas for Sephiroth copies, they weren't ghosts at all.

They were literal bits and pieces of Jenova. With cloaks. Not spirits, just hidden parts of Jenova, and definitely solid since Jenova was literally tearing pieces of itself off to fight Cloud.

If these ghosts/spirits/wraiths are connected to Sephiroth, I literally have no idea what they're going for. Why would they be harassing Aerith or trying to harm her? What would he gain from that? She only becomes a threat to him when she learns about her origins and tries to use Holy.

I'm not seeing how that'd make sense.

Maybe I forced this connection with Sephiroth, because his new Key Art shows him besides this creepy shadows, and one of them looks like it has a hoody on? But now that I think about it, they were used by Hojo to make the search for Sephiroth much easier, because of the reunion effect they would lead him directly to his beloved son (subject)... argh, I give up, hopefully we get more info about the more drastical changes tomorrow!

Yes, exactly. That was the experiment that Hojo enacted to test his Jenova Reunion hypothesis.

I dunno what the spirits represent. Maybe the ghosts are representations of malicious forces or evil spirits that Sephiroth is using or awakening?

In another early material idea that was scrapped, Sephiroth's very presence caused evil spirits and monsters to be born and marshal themselves around him.

Maybe due to Sephiroth finally stirring, Aerith is being plagued by evil spirits or ghosts that serve as some sort of omen of his return.

That's my best guess in trying to find a connection between the two.

Weren't the Sephiroth clones wearing black coats and hoods though?(and no, I'm not talking about Organization XIII, lol) Maybe these are the new designs of those guys, considering how they all acted like Zombies in Nibelhiem, only they were trying to reach Sephiroth and the Black Materia.

You do realize that the Sephiroth copies/clones in FFVII were living, breathing people, right?

They were the survivors of the Nibelheim Incident. They were those who didn't die when Sephiroth went on a rampage and Nibelheim got burned to the ground. Hojo took those survivors, injected them with Jenova cells, showered them in Mako and let them loose to see if they'd go and try to find Sephiroth.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yes, exactly. That was the experiment that Hojo enacted to test his Jenova Reunion hypothesis.

I dunno what the spirits represent. Maybe the ghosts are representations of malicious forces or evil spirits that Sephiroth is using or awakening?

In another early material idea that was scrapped, Sephiroth's very presence caused evil spirits and monsters to be born and marshal themselves around him.

Maybe due to Sephiroth finally stirring, Aerith is being plagued by evil spirits or ghosts that serve as some sort of omen of his return.

That's my best guess in trying to find a connection between the two..

I actually think, as ForceStealer said in another thread, Cloud is the one being plagued by the specters but he can’t see them until he touches Aerith. So perhaps they are taking the Sephiroth/Jenova causing evil spirits ideas and adding that they are imbued with Jenova/Reunion instinct/will and are following/attracted to Sephiroth Clones and Cloud.
I see your thought process, but it's weird that only Aerith can see them. It seems like Cloud can't see them until she touches him. But he's the one with the Jenova cells.

UNLESS they're manifesting around Cloud and only Aerith can detect them, which is why it freaks her out, because she's never seen them before?

Isael

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Just saw the new trailer.... Finally a release date!! Interested to see what these black swirls/ghosts are.

Hopefully more info tomorrow and an extended trailer or actual gameplay footage and not just snippets

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
On unrelated note...

Did Nomura seriously fucking incorporate Sephiroth's Dissidia outfit into his FFVII Remake one?

Sephiroth's now wearing a belt on the outside of his coat.

Sephiroth_Dissidia_Artwork.png

He doesn't have the beads here, but that belt looks just like the one in Dissidia.

He's even got the Compilation of FFVII SOLDIER emblem too. Straight up the same.

LOL what the fuck. Nomura doesn't make sense.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I actually think, as ForceStealer said in another thread, Cloud is the one being plagued by the specters but he can’t see them until he touches Aerith. So perhaps they are taking the Sephiroth/Jenova causing evil spirits ideas and adding that they are imbued with Jenova/Reunion instinct/will and are following/attracted to Sephiroth Clones and Cloud.

No, Aerith is shown first to be plagued by the spirits.

At 0:46, Aerith drops her flowers and flails her arms as if fighting off something that's trying to grab her.

Cloud is calmly holding a flower, staring at Aerith confused, as if wondering why she is suddenly freaking out.

Aerith then yells "Help me!" And grabs Cloud's arm.

Upon having physical contact with Aerith, Cloud's eyes widen as the spirits tormenting Aerith become apparent to him.

So no, Cloud's not the one being tormented. Aerith is.

Top Bottom