• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FF VIII Remaster [Available Now!]

Claymore

3x3 Eyes

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I knew they'd find a way to remaster FFVIII again, because they couldn't simply leave it out. Though the question is, will it be for PS4, or PS5? Either way, this is another great news. FFVIII is another one of my favorites.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I feel so bad with how overshadowed this is by the remake of FFVII. FFVIII's remaster has been a long time coming and FFVIII's anniversary recently passed with no mention by S-E. I honestly thought they forgot about it.

Thankfully they didn't! I never have purchased a re-master of a previous FF but I think I may start with this one. The graphics upgrade is incredible.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I feel so bad with how overshadowed this is by the remake of FFVII. FFVIII's remaster has been a long time coming and FFVIII's anniversary recently passed with no mention by S-E. I honestly thought they forgot about it.

Thankfully they didn't! I never have purchased a re-master of a previous FF but I think I may start with this one. The graphics upgrade is incredible.

There's no need to feel bad about it. FFVII Remake just hyped most people so much that it overshadowed almost everything that was shown this year, with Avengers new game also being the most talked about. Hell, KH3 ReMind isn't talked much either.

But nah, they never forgot about FFVIII. Otherwise they wouldn't have included Rinoa in Dissidia NT. I knew they'd eventually do a remaster for FFVIII. Because they can't just leave it out due to FFVII(the Remaster of the Original), FFIX and FFX being on Switch and PS4. You can never have 8 after 7 and before 9 and 10.

But gosh, 20 years already...WOW!

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
graphic_ph03.png

graphic_ph02.png

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Everything looks better except for Squall's head. I liked his longer, horsey face and longer, less-quaffed hair. He had a more severe brow and less generic bone structure. Now he's kind of interchangeable with any other anime school boy. The fur on his collar is a little puffier as well, it looked longer and more luscious with the cheaper graphics (look at those long lines).

1560531180150.png1560532750450.png

Big ol' meh from me.

1560531301167.png

Quistis lookin' good

1560531337214.png

Rinoa lookin' derpy as ever

1560531405484.png

Looks like this is just a texture mod, and they haven't fixed clipping issues

Last edited:

Ite

AKA
Ite
Double poast because picture limit:

1560531989271.png1560531642552.png

Zell also looks a bit too pretty. They've definitely gone for more anime eyes than the original FF8, which is a shame. But hot damn does this look smooth.
1560531679235.png1560531739164.png

Come on Square, give me Irvine's wide-set eyes and squat face.

More generic-ifying. They both look far too gentle. They've been given anime eyes, particularly at the outside - they curve up into points. I'm honestly not interested, would rather try a Steam mod.

Last edited:

pxp

Pro Adventurer
What version are they basing this remaster on, or are they working from the ground up? Sorry haven’t really done any research on this.

FF8 has never been much of a love for me (apart from the OST!), but I think I’ll pick this up as I’ve found I’ve wanted to play through it again recently. Esp. if they tack the 7R Bombing Mission onto it ;-)

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean... They always looked anime to me.

But I love anime and see no problem with the aesthetic at all, lol

I like Squall having a younger face and less wild hair. He actually looks his age and not like a hardened adult :mon:

Ite

AKA
Ite
*fiddling around with MS Paint for 30 minutes...*

Aaaaand there
1560543590112.png

It's super sloppy I know

In the hands of a capable texture artist, the facial textures could well reflect the FMV characters we're used to. It's strange they went all Advent Children with it.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I just realised, this completely blows both the 'they lost the source code' and the 'licensing issues with Eyes on Me' that people have been speculating about for YEARS in regards to anything being done with VIII.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You'll take your anime, and love it :mon:

I just realised, this completely blows both the 'they lost the source code' and the 'licensing issues with Eyes on Me' that people have been speculating about for YEARS in regards to anything being done with VIII.

No it doesn't, actually. If anything, this looks like a repeat of Kingdom Hearts' re-release for PS3, where they literally had to rebuild it from scratch or use a different engine. Here, they probably are using bits and pieces of the PC release and then they decided "fuck it, we're in this deep,might as well go all in on model updates."

They've had to rebuild a lot from the looks of it. That means this isnt some tweaked port that's a simple emulation.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
No it doesn't, actually. If anything, this looks like a repeat of Kingdom Hearts' re-release for PS3, where they literally had to rebuild it from scratch or use a different engine. Here, they probably are using bits and pieces of the PC release and then they decided "fuck it, we're in this deep,might as well go all in on model updates."

They've had to rebuild a lot from the looks of it. That means this isnt some tweaked port that's a simple emulation.

Losing the source code has always been mega speculation and enhancing the character models - which they do for every remaster - doesn't prove that at all.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well... If it took them this long, and the only re-release of FFVIII that's been done was a port of the crappy, crash-prone PC version that's literally an incomplete version of the PsOne game that's emulated, what else is the reason? I definitely don't think Square wants to release crappy, bug-ridden ports based on incomplete versions of their signature games.

Square literally had to hit up Eidos to ask for the source code cause they lost it. They didn't have any of the source codes from the 90s.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Do you know SE? Lol. I mean, most recently, the Android and Switch versions of VII still contained the music bugs from the Steam release. They are all about releasing bug-ridden ports of their signature games.

Again, there's nothing to hint that the source code was lost. I'm more than happy to speculate on the Eyes On Me licensing issues (since it is still not on Spotify) but the source code? That's just random fan speculation.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Well... If it took them this long, and the only re-release of FFVIII that's been done was a port of the crappy, crash-prone PC version that's literally an incomplete version of the PsOne game that's emulated, what else is the reason? I definitely don't think Square wants to release crappy, bug-ridden ports based on incomplete versions of their signature games.

Square literally had to hit up Eidos to ask for the source code cause they lost it. They didn't have any of the source codes from the 90s.

Well, on the bright side, at least it's finally getting a much better remaster and I agree that the PS4 Remaster version of FFVIII is much better than the original PS1 and the PC versions(still loved the game none the less).

And plus, all games have glitches and bugs and what not, no matter how hard developers try to fix them.

Top Bottom