• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FF VIII Remaster [Available Now!]

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Hey, you mentioned the bug-ridden ports, not me, lol. That's what they chose to do, and they didn't fix it. SE are more than happy to do that.

And it's not random speculation. The former President of Eidos said as much. It's not speculative they lost the source codes of every FF from the 90s. It's demonstrably true.

Ok, I take back the 'random' moniker from 'speculation'. I'm well aware of this article and discussion. 'Chances are that the source code is lost' doesn't equal the source codes are lost. This has never been confirmed. The only thing confirmed is that source code for games have been lost / misplaced in the past.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Its confirmed by the remasters having the same bugs as the PC releases.

Or do you believe S-E is purposefully remastering past games with terrible game breaking bugs just to rile up the fans for fun?

Then Eidos president Keith Boesky states Square asked him for the master copies for one of their games. The re-releases of FFVII and FFIX are based on their PC versions (done by Eidos), bugs and all. S-E has admitted to losing their source code to numerous titles.

FFVIII's only re-releases were the PC version which is the worst PC version of the three.

It's really doesn't require massive leaps to conclusions to figure out what's obvious. Square wasn't just holding back on VIII for over 10 years just for fun.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
It's really doesn't require massive leaps to conclusions to figure out what's obvious. Square wasn't just holding back on VIII for over 10 years just for fun.

You are free to continue assuming that speculation. It has never been confirmed though.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You are free to continue assuming that speculation. It's not confirmed though.

...Then what would be confirmation to you?

Because primary sourced quotes from parties involved, duplication of known PC bugs, answers from S-E themselves, and Square literally only releasing the worst port of all FFs ports without any fixes whatsoever is somehow... Not proof enough?

And if they lost the master source code and copy of Kingdom Hearts which was released in 2002, why the heck would they have the source code for a game from 1999?

That doesn't even make sense unless you assume S-E likes making broken games for fun.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I remember a girlfriend loved watching me playing FF8 on PC, in 2014, after being bored out of her skull watching FFXII. She said FF8 looked like a “moving collage.” When I showed her the PS version on our big TV, she sighed and said “It’s not the same.” Can’t please everybody! :monster:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
...Then what would be confirmation to you?

Because primary sourced quotes from parties involved, duplication of known PC bugs, answers from S-E themselves, and Square literally only releasing the worst port of all FFs ports without any fixes whatsoever is somehow... Not proof enough?

Does that speculation seem likely? Of course. Does that speculation mean that this is concrete confirmation? No.

And if they lost the master source code and copy of Kingdom Hearts which was released in 2002, why the heck would they have the source code for a game from 1999?

One is not proof of the other.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
... Again what more concrete confirmation do you need?

The FFVIII game on Steam, is the same as the PC version of FFVIII released in 2000.

They share the same bugs, the same horrible midi music, the same low quality backgrounds, the same crash-causing glitches and no other re-master has ever been made since.

It's like you're seeing two identical twins who's parents confirm they're related and siblings to each other, but refusing to believe them because you feel a DNA test is required.

If all visible evidence points to a sole conclusion, and you admit its most likely... What other conclusion or proof do you need?
What's the hidden variable here?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I'm just curious if all the RNG bugs I remember taking advantage of will still be there.

:shifty:

Why yes... I might have totally taken advantage of the crappy RNG in Galbania Prison to farm up on Dark Matters. And I might have used a guide or two to successfully erase the Random Triple Triad rule in a few locations....B

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
... Again what more concrete confirmation do you need?

The FFVIII game on Steam, is the same as the PC version of FFVIII released in 2000.

They share the same bugs, the same horrible midi music, the same low quality backgrounds, the same crash-causing glitches and no other re-master has ever been made since.

It's like you're seeing two identical twins who's parents confirm they're related and siblings to each other, but refusing to believe them because you feel a DNA test is required.

If all visible evidence points to a sole conclusion, and you admit its most likely... What other conclusion or proof do you need?
What's the hidden variable here?

Are you genuinely asking me why it was easier to use the PC version for a port than the original source code?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
No it doesn't, actually. If anything, this looks like a repeat of Kingdom Hearts' re-release for PS3, where they literally had to rebuild it from scratch or use a different engine.

It wasn't exactly rebuilt entirely from scratch, more like reverse-engineered from a retail version.

Which interestingly, is the way Bluepoint Games also does all their HD remaster work because according to them it makes the most sense as that is the final version of the game. They don't even ask for source code or the likes because sometimes there are last minute changes - if I remember correctly that was one of the reasons why the Silent Hill HD remasters were wonky, they were done from source codes that contained bugs and other kinks that were already ironed out in the final retail version.

tl;dr who even needs the source code apparently

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Who needs a source code?

Well, any company interested in not releasing a crappy port based on another crappy port of a beloved money-making classic :mon:.

Different companies can rely on basing ports on retail copies because those copies are polished, and complete.

Eidos had hot garbage. Incomplete, buggy copies based on earlier builds of the game.

To assume Square based their re-masters on those copies by choice assumes sadistic madness towards their fans and a desire to diminish their classics.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Great! The pocketstation thing came with my PC version of FF8 but I never figured it out. Maybe this time it will actually be of use?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Lex

Administrator

You're right but this doesn't confirm the reason behind FFVIII not being ported until now :monster:

Not to reopen this entire argument btw but nothing they say (yes, even Nomura himself) is accurate. I've read the linked interviews and articles and they're mostly talking out of their asses. "We lost the source code" is PR speak for "the dog ate my homework". I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nomura was told that internally and believed it himself, but I seriously doubt its accuracy. By which I mean I'm sure they DID lose the "original code" or "source data", but I'm certain that had nothing at all to do with FFVIII not being ported until now.

That vg247 article talks about how they reverse-engineered the PC version of FFVII for its 2012 release - this is a lie, even though SE themselves seem to have said this. They attached some code written by a fan to a wrapper to get it running (said fan was involved and is the person responsible for a DX9 driver that got the '98 version of the game running at all prior to the re-release).

FFIX didn't have an initial PC release at all so I don't really know what the story is there. Remember that it came out on iOS and Android before being ported to PC a couple of years ago (and more recently the consoles), so it's a different kettle of fish altogether. They ported the original (may or may not have had "source data" to complement that process).

FFVIII was in the exact same state as FFVII. It had the initial PS release, and then a PC port about a year later - both from Eidos. No other mainline FF was ever ported to PC by anyone other than Square, and if we're going sequentially in terms of titles there wasn't another PC port of a mainline FF game until FFXIII. FFIX was never ported until recently.

SO my whole post is really about saying: there is no reason they couldn't have done the same thing with FFVIII that they did with FFVII. They were in a very similar state (both had PC releases sellotaped together to work by fans, both were re-released in 2012-ish, both had their music replaced by fans, modded to death by fans to make them a more playable experience). The biggest shock is that FFIX was ever ported, honestly. The menu is pure hell but it's insane that was done before VIII.

We can't say for sure why it's taken this long, but I am personally 100% certain it's nothing to do with not having the "original data". It doesn't hold up in any way. The only plausible explanation I can come up with is licensing issues (Fay Wong/ Eyes on Me). I think that's the exact same reason one of the PSP's best selling titles (Crisis Core) was never available to download on the PS Store, even though it would have sold shitloads on Vita.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Mako, you say that FFVIII is SE's worst PC port. I take it you're not familiar with the Steam ports of FFV and FFVI? Clashing art styles, wonky mobile menus that were never redone for the PC platform, visible seams in the background images, completely different sprites that look totally washed out and fail to capture the spirit of the original (they'd have been better to follow the FF1/2 PSP Anniversary style instead). I haven't gotten either game yet, but fortunately folks have released mods to address many of these issues that SE should have taken care of themselves before the games were ever released. At least with FFVIII, they added the PS1 music via ogg files later on when it went to Steam and got the FMV's up to HD.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
More details about the "Battle Assistance" feature and PC-exclusive cheats:
  • Triple Speed: Speeds up the entire game 3 times (excluding movies)
  • Battle Enhancements: Max HP & ATB during battles, and always able to use special moves
  • No Encounter: Will no longer encounter enemies (excluding events)
PC-exclusive cheats:
  • Obtain all items
  • Obtain all abilities
  • Maxed G.F. levels
  • Maxed Gil
  • Maxed magic
  • Obtain all special moves
  • Obtain all cards
  • And other detailed customizations in the system settings

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
FFVIIIRemastered website source code hints at the game possibly having English and Japanese voiceover.

vo.png

"FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered","description":"Widely beloved, FINAL FANTASY VIII casts unlikely heroes into a war to save the world. The military nation of Galbadia has declared war on the Dukedom of Dollet, who are left with no choice but to hire a mercenary force for their defense. Enter SeeD and its newest member: Squall Leonhart. Together with his friends, Squall joins Rinoa Heartilly, a member of a resistance group, on an adventure that holds the fate of their world in its balance. FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered marks the 20th Anniversary of its original release with a complete visual refresh and brings the game’s classic story to modern platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. With fully overhauled visuals, see your favorite characters come to life like never before! FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered is an RPG, available in English and Japanese voiceover, and is also text localized into French, Italian, German and Spanish."
With fully overhauled visuals, see your favorite characters come to life like never before! FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered is an RPG, available in English and Japanese voiceove

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Sweet! If Squall's current original voice actor voices him in the Remaster(the same with Selphie, Sefier, Raiju and Fu all from KH1 and KH2) then that's totally awesome! Which also gives Rinoa's new voice actress(both English and Japanese) a larger role than in just one DLC scene in Dissidia NT.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Having voiceover while the rest of the game is really similar to the original release would be a unique experience. I was looking forward to this anyway, so the idea of playing with voices is exciting. Not sure I'll leave them on, but I'll certainly try it.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
That would be really cool if there's a voice cast, FF8 is the one FF where I've always thought a voice cast would have been really good in the original game and I could always imagine voices for them before we started getting voice casts in Dissidia etc.

Top Bottom