• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Voice Actors Announced

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'm thinking that it may also be related to the fact that FFVII's famous translation means that they're really owning the characterization of the English localization for Remake, which means that they might be looking for some slight departures from what they were getting from the English voice cast, but not from the Japanese voice cast.

I'm curious how this works out for other languages' VAs.

X :neo:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
According to maximilion dude's insider report, the compilation actors will be used for non-remake roles in the future. They just wanted a very specific style of line reading for this remake series alone. So say if Cloud ends up in ReMind, it'll be Burton.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Not meaning to sound too cynical, but maybe the newer VAs are cheaper too? There’s a hell of a lot of recording to be doing over the next however many years ...
I wonder if the new cast actually is cheaper though. Some of them are a lot younger, but a quick look at their imdb pages makes it seem like they have similar acting backgrounds.
All the rationale of wanting the remake to be its own thing and representing characters at a different point in their journey is all fine and good. Though still leaves the fact that the seiyuus haven't changed hanging out there, haha.
I don't think that's a fair comparison, really. English voice casts are changed up all the time, so if they wanted a different sound they could easily get it. On the other hand, any time I hear about a single seiyuu change there are entire articles about it with producer explanations and whatnot. So changing that cast would be much more difficult, and potentially not worth the effort and fan backlash. While I think English voice actors are treated too lightly, I think the insistence on keeping the same seiyuu no matter what has problems too.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
According to maximilion dude's insider report, the compilation actors will be used for non-remake roles in the future. They just wanted a very specific style of line reading for this remake series alone. So say if Cloud ends up in ReMind, it'll be Burton.

Could be, and if so, then that's understandable. But to me, there's something odd and a bit suspicious about that Twitter video. I mean, I'd be more than happy if Steve continued to voice Cloud outside of the Remake and whatnot(though I am disappointed that Quinton Flynn will never play Reno again unless they make a Remake of Before Crisis and/or a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus that are not FFVII Remake related*which will never happen*), but it's not a good idea to expect this unless Square makes it official.

And I'd be happy for Cloud to appear in ReMind too(though I doubt that'll happen too like how Agrabah was not included, due to either Jafar not being in the final Aladdin film or
due to the new Princesses and Jasmine is no longer a Princess of Heart).

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Maybe Max was wrong, and assuming, but apparently they hired the original crew to do a LOT of the script first, and made the decision to change casting later on? So it might not be a money thing.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Well, not all of the Japanese cast are returning. Remember, Hojo's voice actor is dead, so there's one exception to that rule. But you're right, almost all of the Japanese cast are in the remake.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
That's what I meant. Due to his death, a replacement is needed for Hojo in the Japanese version.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
When it comes to voice acting, the seiyuus are on another world-level of quality! YES, I AM TOTALLY BIASED! :P

But seriously, do you think someone like Ali Hillis could be voicing a character like Aerith? :nah:

Last edited:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Maybe Max was wrong, and assuming, but apparently they hired the original crew to do a LOT of the script first, and made the decision to change casting later on? So it might not be a money thing.
I don't know that they had the original cast do "a lot" of the script. I would guess that they did Bombing Mission. Either way, it's obvious that they made a decision at some point between 2017 and now to completely overhaul the script and bring in new voice actors.

At the time, they were pretty much word-for-word recreating the original English game script. In general, the 2017 cutscenes are much closer to the original game in terms of pacing, staging, direction, and script.

In the current version, the dialogue is greatly expanded and far more natural, and the general tone is considerably more dynamic and thrilling, with more action and urgency.

I think it's probably safe to assume that a lot of the design choices changed around the time they cut CC2 loose, because combat has also clearly evolved since then, and the characters became more stylized and the lighting and colors more vivid.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
But seriously, do you think someone like Ali Hillis could be voicing a character like Aerith? :nah:

Personally, if Before Crisis ever did get a remake, Ali Hillis would be a better choice to voice Elfe/Felicia of the first AVALANCHE.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Personally, if Before Crisis ever did get a remake, Ali Hillis would be a better choice to voice Elfe/Felicia of the first AVALANCHE.
Sorry, I should have explained that further.

What I meant with this example, is that someone like Maaya Sakamoto, has the talent to voice both Aerith AND LIGHTNING! Characters that could not be more unlike each other, but she still made it work. That is the gap in quality I was talking about!

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sorry, I should have clarified that further.

What I meant with this example, is that someone like Maaya Sakamoto, has the talent to voice both Aerith AND LIGHTNING! Characters that could not be more unlike each other, but she still made it work. That is the gap in quality I was talking about!

Nah, it's okay. I knew what you meant. I was the one who made it confusing for you, so my bad. I was just agreeing with you that Alis Hillis wouldn't do so well as Aerith. No offense to her, but she's too serious and deep for someone like Aerith.

Edit: I mean, certain voice actors in both English and Japanese can work out in voicing two certain characters in anything. And most of the times they voice more than just one character and even end up talking to themselves while the characters they are voicing are talking to each other. That hasn't changed at all.

Anyway, I do kind of hope Steve's still voicing Cloud in Dissidia NT and future roles outside of the Remake, but I can't trust that video and end up having my hopes crushed again.

Last edited:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Agreed. My pet peeve is when people ask for stuff like this "as an option." To me it implies that it should be simple to implement, when it already seems hard enough to just make a complete game in the first place. I understand the disappointment and wanting to have your voice heard, but it still seems, I dunno, problematic?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...LOL please, Quinton ain't even in trouble, he's gonna just go back and play Axel again in Kingdom Hearts Whatever-the-fuck Re-chain Reverse Rebirth Re-Dead Union Ice X 4/5ths Beginning Final Chapter Epilogue 5.

He needs to sit the fuck down and move on, did he miss what everyone else did in the classiest of ways? That's a dumbass idea for a petition.

Got it memorized, bro?

rimavelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
rima
Also what original cast means? There were so many voice actors in Compilation playing the same characters. So, say, who would return as Aerith? Can you even say return when the game didn't have voice acting at all? Or what about actors schedule, and well, interest in reprising the role?
Not even mentioning the big f-you to new cast that we didn't even get to hear in actual game.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I guess Quinton Flynn enjoyed playing both Reno and Lea/Axel so much that he was so disappointed to have been replaced in the Remake and knows that there aren't any future spin-offs with everyone's favorite red haired Turk in it. Plus in my opinion, while it is a bit childish, but no one can voice Reno like he can.

Top Bottom