• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Where did Tifa stash Cloud after she found him at the train station?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Jenova cells filled in the blanks.

I'm not understanding what the confusion is here.

When Cloud was mako poisoned his psyche was shattered. The real Cloud was lost. The inherent consciousness of Jenova assumed control due to the ego vacuum within his mind.

The Jenova cells pieced together the bits and pieces of Cloud's memories, Zack's memories, and then Tifa's memories through it's mimicry ability and assembled a new composite persona for "Cloud" to operate in, and remain capable of being influenced by Jenova and Sephiroth.

Cloud is not fully himself after that. He's living a lie built on memories not his own and pieced together by Jenova cells.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Jenova cells filled in the blanks.

I'm not understanding what the confusion is here.

When Cloud was mako poisoned his psyche was shattered. The real Cloud was lost. The inherent consciousness of Jenova assumed control due to the ego vacuum within his mind.

The Jenova cells pieced together the bits and pieces of Cloud's memories, Zack's memories, and then Tifa's memories through it's mimicry ability and assembled a new composite persona for "Cloud" to operate in, and remain capable of being influenced by Jenova and Sephiroth.

Cloud is not fully himself after that. He's living a lie built on memories not his own and pieced together by Jenova cells.

I get that, but what I was asking was, at the time of the first mission, did he even remember being sick at all when Tifa found him at the train station, even if he didn't know what that sickness was? When the new personality was formed, what memories did he have from between the Nibelheim incident and Tifa finding him in the train station five years later? Did he just find himself there with no memory of how he got there? Or did Jenova provide some false memory to explain why he came to the city and how?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Dude was pretty comatose from Nibelheim to Midgar...

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I get that, but what I was asking was, at the time of the first mission, did he even remember being sick at all when Tifa found him at the train station, even if he didn't know what that sickness was? When the new personality was formed, what memories did he have from between the Nibelheim incident and Tifa finding him in the train station five years later? Did he just find himself there with no memory of how he got there? Or did Jenova provide some false memory to explain why he came to the city and how?

LOL, naw. Cloud wasn't aware of any of that. If he was, then he'd have to have the self awareness to question why the hell he's in Midgar, what has he been doing for 4 years, and maybe why he's holding his best friend's sword.

Cloud didn't know a damn thing about himself. That's why in the Northern Crater, Sephiroth fucked him up with just some trolling with basic facts.

Cloud was calling himself SOLDIER 1st Class but didn't know when he joined, how or how he even got promoted.

He just got up and moved on about life. None of those thoughts crossed his mind until Sephiroth just started talking and asking basic questions. :mon:

Jairus

LOL, naw. Cloud wasn't aware of any of that. If he was, then he'd have to have the self awareness to question why the hell he's in Midgar, what has he been doing for 4 years, and maybe why he's holding his best friend's sword.

Cloud didn't know a damn thing about himself. That's why in the Northern Crater, Sephiroth fucked him up with just some trolling with basic facts.

Cloud was calling himself SOLDIER 1st Class but didn't know when he joined, how or how he even got promoted.

He just got up and moved on about life. None of those thoughts crossed his mind until Sephiroth just started talking and asking basic questions. :mon:

Alright, so he finds himself at the Sector 7 train station when Tifa finds him. What, then, does he think he's been doing the past five years? Or does he just have a five-year gap in his memory that he may or may not be aware of? By the time of the first mission, he's up and functional and can think, so one would think he might wonder at least briefly why he was there and how he got there and why he can't remember any of it.

Jairus

Hmm... can you remember something you can’t remember? I can’t, unless I’m trying to... Cloud freaks out when he can’t remember how he joined SOLDIER. I feel like the rest of the time, his brain glossed over it. I’m sure ours do that kind of thing all the time.

So he's up and about, and in all the time between when Tifa finds him and he goes on the first mission, which could have been at least a month, he never once wondered how he got there? Or why he didn't know? He admits later in Kalm that he doesn't know how he survived against Sephiroth, so that tells us that he is aware that he has some gaps in his memory. He just doesn't understand what it means or why yet. So couldn't it follow that he may have been aware of those gaps even as early as the first mission but, not knowing what they meant or how they got there, simply didn't think much about them?

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
So he's up and about, and in all the time between when Tifa finds him and he goes on the first mission, which could have been at least a month, he never once wondered how he got there? Or why he didn't know? He admits later in Kalm that he doesn't know how he survived against Sephiroth, so that tells us that he is aware that he has some gaps in his memory. He just doesn't understand what it means or why yet. So couldn't it follow that he may have been aware of those gaps even as early as the first mission but, not knowing what they meant or how they got there, simply didn't think much about them?
I think so? I've always thought of Cloud's memory jank as only being a problem when he thinks about it. For example, when he says he doesn't know how he survived against Sephiroth, I don't think that thought had crossed his mind until that moment. So he knows that Sephiroth is strong, and as he recites the story that the Jenova cells made for him* he realizes, "Wait, I fought this super soldier who is way stronger than me and lived. That seems impossible, but I'm alive now, so I did it somehow." Same with being in Midgar; he doesn't think "How did I get here?" because its more important that he's thinking "This is where I need to be to be a mercenary."

As a bit of a sketchy analogy, it's like talking to a drunk person. Even stuff that should be really important doesn't cross their mind until you mention it to them, and sometimes they'll just say what their drunk mind is thinking with complete conviction. So they go from having that gap in their memory to filling it in very smoothly.

*I know that's not the right phrasing but I didn't know how else to say it so...

Jairus

I think so? I've always thought of Cloud's memory jank as only being a problem when he thinks about it. For example, when he says he doesn't know how he survived against Sephiroth, I don't think that thought had crossed his mind until that moment. So he knows that Sephiroth is strong, and as he recites the story that the Jenova cells made for him* he realizes, "Wait, I fought this super soldier who is way stronger than me and lived. That seems impossible, but I'm alive now, so I did it somehow." Same with being in Midgar; he doesn't think "How did I get here?" because its more important that he's thinking "This is where I need to be to be a mercenary."

As a bit of a sketchy analogy, it's like talking to a drunk person. Even stuff that should be really important doesn't cross their mind until you mention it to them, and sometimes they'll just say what their drunk mind is thinking with complete conviction. So they go from having that gap in their memory to filling it in very smoothly.

*I know that's not the right phrasing but I didn't know how else to say it so...

Thanks, I think I'm starting to understand. Sorry about all the questions, it's just that I have a story I'm working on and I want to be sure I have Cloud's early game persona right since it's a novelization of the OG, though done with a different approach than what I think most people use. I just wanted to be sure I got the right idea of how he saw things at that time from his point of view is all.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Thanks, I think I'm starting to understand. Sorry about all the questions, it's just that I have a story I'm working on and I want to be sure I have Cloud's early game persona right since it's a novelization of the OG, though done with a different approach than what I think most people use. I just wanted to be sure I got the right idea of how he saw things at that time from his point of view is all.

It's not stated but I'm under the impression he thought he was working either as SOLDIER or mercenary for the five years when he was actually captive in Shinra Manor, he never references having a five years gap in memories, just that he doesn't remember how he survived Sephiroth.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Good luck with your writing!

And don't apologize for asking questions, we gotta talk about something for 8 months :monster:

Jairus

Good luck with your writing!

And don't apologize for asking questions, we gotta talk about something for 8 months :monster:

Thanks, I've got a few chapters done so far along with the foreword, but I want to wait until I have a few more of them finished before I start posting since I want to have a good lead and not have to worry about rushing anything. I know it's a massive project but I've finished a long epic-sized fanfic before, albeit many years ago, so I'm sure I can do it again.

Yeah, it's gonna be the longest 8 months any of us have known for a long time, lol.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Thanks, I've got a few chapters done so far along with the foreword, but I want to wait until I have a few more of them finished before I start posting since I want to have a good lead and not have to worry about rushing anything. I know it's a massive project but I've finished a long epic-sized fanfic before, albeit many years ago, so I'm sure I can do it again.

Yeah, it's gonna be the longest 8 months any of us have known for a long time, lol.
If you want a proofreader or beta reader I'd be happy to help! If not, I look forward to giving it a read whenever you post it.

Jairus

Thanks, I appreciate it. How would I get you the chapters for beta reading? And while we're on the subject of questions, I was also wondering how long before FFVII started did Barret form AVALANCHE? I've checked TLS' timeline and it doesn't really say. I'm just trying to flesh out the backstories for Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie and knowing when it was possible for them to join would help with that. From what I've read, the old AVALANCHE was gone not long before FFVII started, but I thought Barret had formed his before that. Of course I'm surprised that BC is even considered canon given its release was so limited, but oh well.

Oh, also, when I do post it, do I upload elsewhere and just link to it, or is it alright to just put the content of a chapter right in the message post? I'm not sure if it matters either way, I just wanted to be sure I followed whatever rules you guys have here for that sort of thing. Sorry for getting off topic a little, btw.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
TLS Series Timeline said:
11/3
· A “reborn AVALANCHE” led by Barret begins carrying out anti-Shin-Ra activities
I think this implies Barret formed AVALANCHE either on or just before November 3rd. But my timeline is shaky so someone else might have a better answer. At this level of pedantry though, I think you can just do whatever is best for your story.

As for links to your work, I was thinking you could just message me a link to a Google doc for the work in progress (if that works for you). For the content of the finished chapter, I think there's a fanfic thread somewhere on here. A link to where you've posted it would probably be best, so people could follow/comment on your story on that website, maybe generating more interest for other readers.

Jairus

I think this implies Barret formed AVALANCHE either on or just before November 3rd. But my timeline is shaky so someone else might have a better answer. At this level of pedantry though, I think you can just do whatever is best for your story.

As for links to your work, I was thinking you could just message me a link to a Google doc for the work in progress (if that works for you). For the content of the finished chapter, I think there's a fanfic thread somewhere on here. A link to where you've posted it would probably be best, so people could follow/comment on your story on that website, maybe generating more interest for other readers.

Sounds good, thanks! I've been using LibreOffice to write in, but I can upload what I have once I finish the current chapter I'm on. Which would be the better site to post the finished chapters on, fanfiction.net or A03? I've used FFN before but I don't know how active it still is. I just want to be sure folks from here can find it without any trouble.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
When Tifa finds Cloud, he's a hot mess. Head flopping all over, moaning like a zombie on ecstasy. Then he sees Tifa and pops up, in full Cloud/Zack glory. She decides to take him in to keep an eye on him. Ok, so far so good. My problem is that there's like a 1-2 month gap between that scene and the bombing of reactor 1, according to the timeline. And in the bombing mission at the start of the game, everyone is interacting with Cloud like they only just met him a period beforehand.
Thanks for raising this question! It has been seriously bothering me recently. If there's a statement somewhere that Tifa finds Cloud in September, I believe it must be the editor's mistake, because things just don't add up.

One thing for sure, everybody in Sector 7 slums treats Cloud as if they've only just met (which should be true, because the remake doesn't leave much room for doubts either). I also agree with the idea that Jenova-related illnesses tend to disappear pretty much without a trace of physical damage. My headcanon is that Tifa found Cloud, took him to the bar, introduced him to Barret (he didn't bother to remember Cloud's name though), Cloud spent the night in the local inn, checked his gear in the morning, maybe met Biggs, Wedge and Jessie in the afternoon, got filled in on the mission, and Avalanche set off to Reactor 1.

The most intriguing part is what Cloud had been doing during that 2-month gap. :huh:

He might've been semi-catatonic all this time like he was right after he got the buster sword.
He might've recovered, gone oblivious and started doing some mercenary work in the slums in another sector.
He might've collapsed at the train station because he experienced one of his breakdowns.
He might've run out of money and food and was getting ready to die in the street like a stray dog.

So I'm gonna hope the final part of the remake will eventually shed some light on this plot hole in a few years...

S-O

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Zetaflare!!!
They didn't really show the part where Tifa shows him to his room after the reactor mission in the OG game so i'm guessing it didn't really matter. In the remake however I have no clue, maybe the bombing mission happened the same night as he was found but that could only work if it was changed up in the remake.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
In my headcanon, in 7th Heaven's cellar. :lol:
In the OG, we don't know. The most reasonable explanation would be that Cloud arrived to the train station, exhausted and confused but semi-coherent, and Tifa found him and after a meal and some rest Tifa asked him to work for Avalanche. Tifa would have find a room somewhere for him (a cheap inn nearby, maybe), pretty much like in the Remake.

Last edited:

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
They didn't really show the part where Tifa shows him to his room after the reactor mission in the OG game so i'm guessing it didn't really matter. In the remake however I have no clue, maybe the bombing mission happened the same night as he was found but that could only work if it was changed up in the remake.
Well, I've just replayed the first few hours in the OG. After the mission, Cloud wakes up in the corner of the hideout on the underground floor, so... I quite like the idea that he was found and asked to join Avalanche on the same day.

In my headcanon, in 7th Heaven's cellar. :lol:
In the OG, we don't know. The most reasonable explanation would be that Cloud arrived to the train station, exhausted and confused but semi-coherent, and Tifa found him and after a meal and some rest Tifa asked him to work for Avalanche. Tifa would have find a room somewhere for him (a cheap inn nearby, maybe), pretty much like in the Remake.
Hello Cloud, haven't seen you for ages, you look kinda pale, are you all right? Here's a super-duper dangerous mission for you just round the corner. :desu:

You might say that he was in "Cloud storage."
This is hilarious :D A storage for him and all his alternative timeline incarnations (if any).

Top Bottom