• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Governments in FFVII

Invitation to speculate:

I wonder who actually makes the laws in the world of FFVII. Obviously, Shinra does whatever it likes with impunity, but I doubt the Board is interesting in spending its days debating poop-scoop bylaws or legal ages for drink and consent. Midgar has a Mayor, who is so entirely under Shinra's thumb that he's forced to exist in the top-security area of their building. So maybe Midgar has a town council, which we never see because it's not relevant to the story, responsible for passing laws and by-laws and always obedient to Shinra's will. It seems really unlikely that their world has no legislative bodies, because the end result of that isn't a well-ordered world for Shinra to dominate, but chaos. Yuffie's dad seems to be some sort of government official in Wutai; Tifa's dad was the mayor of Nibelheim; Junon, I don't know about. Bugenhagen dominates Cosmo Canyon, but he might just be a really rich eccentric old guy who happens to live there, while the Canyon itself is ruled by a council of elders.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Cosmo Canyon seems to have three elders: Bugah, Hargo, and Bugenhagen above them. I’m not entirely sure it’s not supposed to be “Bugen, Hagen, and Bugenhagen.” But what that means I don’t know.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
It's funny, I always just assumed (maybe because of his german name) that Bugenhagen didn't come originally from the Canyon but settled there after parting ways with Shinra.

I assume so as well, with a kind of hand-wavey headcanon that maybe Bugenhagen is a title, rather than a name.

Top Bottom