FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
First of all, this game is 23 years old. Don't think for a second that we haven't had this debate before. And please, this will be so much nicer if you speak respectfully, especially when we disagree.

I'm all for personal interpretation (Team Jenova since '01 baby) but if you want to change my mind I'll need some text evidence that Aeris meant to die. Text evidence was provided that she hasn't, and you brought up the counterpoint that the facts could be distorted by the character's interpretation (although you didn't have to diss Tifa to do it </3 ). Regardless, a good point (it's the same one I use to stay Team Jenova lol).

After you posted that, youffie made a good point about its implications on Aeris's behavior:

… Am I the only one who thinks it'd be slightly concerning if Aeris knew she was going to die and that she was about to scar her mentally unstable crush forever without leaving any sort of explanation behind and in her last moments she was just like

:)

I'd expand this to include Tifa, Barret, and her other friends. I know we got sidetracked by a conversation about decorum, but I'd be interested to hear what you think about this point?

"Word of God" arguments have an uncertain place in literary analysis, but if they move you, consider this quote from one of the the writers:

"Death comes suddenly and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves, not a dramatic feeling but great emptiness. When you lose someone you loved very much you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming I would have done things differently. These are the feelings I wanted to arouse in the players with Aerith's death relatively early in the game. Feelings of reality and not Hollywood."
- Tetsuya Nomura

The story of Aeris's spirit, Holy, and the Planet's Will finds its ambiguity, as so much of japanese media does, in the vague and symbol-laden spectacle of a finale. Since there are now ancillary novels to obfuscate expound on the original text, I'm at a loss as to exactly what to believe. I don't believe Aeris meant to die, but did her death somehow free her to help out in a new (and ultimately successful) way? Or was the last shred of her soul clinging to the white materia like some sort of tortured revenant -- a white materia that failed to work -- but the Planet's interference allowed her to reach that peaceful rest at last? Is this Analysis Fodder a gift from the writers, or a heavy cross to bear?

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I guess I figured that Aerith('s spirit) interceded on behalf of humanity/her friends to the Planet in order to convince it to stop Meteor with the Lifestream while it was previously inclined to perhaps let Holy..fail to protect the humans.

But I don't think she had to die to do that, she speaks with the Planet at the Temple, and could theoretically have done that even if she was still alive when she saw Holy wasn't gonna do it.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I guess I figured that Aerith('s spirit) interceded on behalf of humanity/her friends to the Planet in order to convince it to stop Meteor with the Lifestream while it was previously inclined to perhaps let Holy..fail to protect the humans.

But I don't think she had to die to do that, she speaks with the Planet at the Temple, and could theoretically have done that even if she was still alive when she saw Holy wasn't gonna do it.

By Jove, you're on to something. She has like a back-and-forth convo with the Planet. ndb, just low-key shootin' the shit with a freaking planet. But... then the Temple becomes the Black Materia... so the only place she would be able to speak with the Planet would be... the Forgotten City... She went there too early. :sob:

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Yeah, I feel in the instance of Holy, Aerith would've had the same influence whether she was dead or alive. Her death was just for the theme, and also moved her into a position where she could act figuratively and literally as a personification of the planet. Seeing her flash into the scene at the end adds an extra impact to Holy. Of course everything after the OG is fair game. Different themes, different circumstances, different roles.

S.L.Kerrigan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
molosev
I would really be interested in them including this kind of hint as I consider that the Cetra could be travellers/migrators of the cosmos (willingly or blindly driven by their god). I'll be very attentive to any related information. Maybe more FF universes are connected, it seems like we can see a Diamond Weapon-like entity in XV. People were riding meteors in V apparently and there seems to be similarities between the very endings of V and VII (travel through stars kind of animation).

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The entire dialogue between Aerith and Cloud in Cloud's subconsciousness firmly implies that she intended to put an end to Sephiroth's ambitions in place of Cloud and come back to him. She realized what was needed to counter the Black Materia and since Sephiroth had Cloud give it to him, she figured the best possible way to stop him was Holy.

Cloud
What is this place?

Aerith
This forest leads to the City of the Ancients... and is called the Sleeping Forest.
It's only a matter of time before Sephiroth uses Meteor.
That's why I'm going to protect it. Only a survivor of the Cetra, like me, can do it.

The secret is just up here.
At least it should be. ...I feel it. It feels like I'm being led by something.

Then, I'll be going now. I'll come back when it's all over.

However she didn't anticipate Sephiroth eavesdropping on their conversation and getting a heads up on her plan to stop him. Aerith didn't see or sense Sephiroth's approach at all until she was killed.

However, Aerith's death does turn into a makeshift blessing in disguise, because it is due to her ability as a Cetra and not diffusing into the Lifestream, that she's able to rally Lifestream to hold back Meteor once Holy on its own was insufficient in stopping it.

The ending of FFVII is pretty obvert in revealing Aerith's hand in thwarting Meteor's impact on the Planet. When Meteor begins bearing down on Midgar after Holy fails to shield the Planet from its approach, the Lifestream rises out of the ground out of nowhere and begins to hold back Meteor and works in tandem with Holy to destroy Meteor and preserve the Planet.

Aerith face then appears and smiles. Unless you believe Marlene's sensing of "the flower girl" and her appearance upon the interjection of Lifestream to stop Holy was just elaborate coincidence, there's a very strong implied meaning there.

Furthermore in subsequent guidebooks for VII, it specifically references Aerith rallying the Lifestream to stop Meteor and aid Holy which was not strong enough to stop Meteor on its own. Aerith had a very specific part she played in saving the planet.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I would really be interested in them including this kind of hint as I consider that the Cetra could be travellers/migrators of the cosmos (willingly or blindly driven by their god). I'll be very attentive to any related information. Maybe more FF universes are connected, it seems like we can see a Diamond Weapon-like entity in XV. People were riding meteors in V apparently and there seems to be similarities between the very endings of V and VII (travel through stars kind of animation).
XV used a lot of stuff from past final fantasies though. Same as 9 did

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I never really thought much about the Cetra, but that's a cool way of looking at them. There could be a connection to the fayth

Top Bottom