FFVIIR Official Concept Art & Twitter Whatnots

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Anyone notice a certain sky blue truck in that render of the Shinra HQ lobby? Maybe that's the one we use in the final bike chase?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
It looks like the non-Cloud party members will be able to wander around and interact with the environment, as shown by Tifa and Aerith wandering around the train graveyard. I can only imagine how much environmental context-based dialogue there must be in this game.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Omg.. Tifa on the water tower.. :excited:

Looks like they are trying to make President Shinra look more like his children. He looked nothing like them in the OG’s concept art.

Him and Heidegger both went on an adaptation diet. Maybe they are saving all the fat for Palmer. :monster:

No render for Tseng, either. But seeing renders for President Shinra and Heidegger gives me hope that everyone will get one eventually.

Hopefully because they realized they kinda made him look younger than Aerith and are revising. :monster:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I wonder if you'll be able to switch control of party members outside of battle and not just within it? So you could control any of the characters in your party while you wander around and not just Cloud. That would be nice and make each trip through the game unique because you would never pass through the same area in quite the same way.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Looks like Famitsu has some exclusive content, as usual, with renders for all the characters in this batch of reveals.

The Japanese articles also list the Japanese voice actors and include a quote from each character, which isn't the case on the official English blog post from Square Enix.

Sephiroth (CV: Toshiyuki Morikawa): "This planet will die. Peacefully, gently, without so much as a scream."

President Shinra (CV: Genzō Wakayama): "You complain about not having enough because you wasted too much."

Heidegger (CV: Katsumi Chō): "Those who rise up fully must be put down utterly. Isn't that the Shinra way?"

Roche (CV: Kenta Miyake): "Wanna ride to the end of the world with me?"

Last edited:

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
On the subject of Heidegger and Shinra not being as fat, I kinda see it how I see Tifa's OG CGI model; unable to control the proper proportions they had in mind. The artwork for the old man is closer to how he is now than how he was then. I do miss that Heidegger's beard is shorter now, though it does make sense. Dude looks like a cold war era South American generalissimo....

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've held on to that hope after seeing Tifa crossing those monkey bars.

We've also seen control of Barret outside of combat in the TGS trailer. He's shooting debris, but it's not in combat, the button prompt in the corner says "search." I think it will be searching through wreckage of Sector 7.
Now, whether controlling other characters like that will be context dependent or not remains to be seen.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
It looks like the non-Cloud party members will be able to wander around and interact with the environment, as shown by Tifa and Aerith wandering around the train graveyard. I can only imagine how much environmental context-based dialogue there must be in this game.
I bet a lot of these instances will tie into any affection system that might be present. Whoever you talk to first gets affection points, just like the sewer in the OG.
Looks like Famitsu has some exclusive content, as usual, with renders for all the characters in this batch of reveals.

The Japanese articles also list the Japanese voice actors and include a quote from each character, which isn't the case on the official English blog post from Square Enix.

Sephiroth (CV: Toshiyuki Morikawa): "This planet will die. Peacefully, gently, without so much as a scream."

President Shinra (CV: Genzō Wakayama): "You complain about not having enough because you wasted too much."

Heidegger (CV: Katsumi Chō): "Those who rise up fully must be put down utterly. Isn't that the Shinra way?"

Roche (CV: Kenta Miyake): "Wanna ride to the end of the world with me?"
I love that quote from Sephiroth. And I can already tell that I'm going to mutter "Shut up Roche" a lot and I'm totally okay with that. I'm ready to hate this guy.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
So much love.

This..

This is the One-Winged Angel.

A SOLDIER named Sephiroth, who was better than the rest. Who found out the truth of the experiments that created him, and began to hate Shinra.

And then, he began to hate everything.

What's incredible is Sephiroth's quote is concise yet so chilling. He speaks of the death of the planet, killing the planet, in such non-violent, gentle language.

Peacefully.

Gently.

Completely contradictory to an act of murder.

But the last point really shows his true colors.

"Without so much as a scream."

... Because apparently, screaming before impending death is completely normal to Sephiroth. :mon:

Nevermind we do hear the planet screaming.

I love it. Sephiroth can be so creepy and horrifying in so few words.

Last edited:

youffie

Pro Adventurer
Yes, that's a really creepy line, with a very distinct "quiet murderer" vibe. Reminded me of when he reveals his plan in the Temple of the Ancients, or of his little speech after murdering Aeris in cold blood. Deceivingly soothing. I can't explain it very well :wacky: but it made me remember all of a sudden that I was terrified of him as a child, so it must be doing something right.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Every villain has their own aesthetic of evil.

Comical madness and murder.

Burgeoning hatred and solitude.

Theatrical malice with poetic destruction.

Sephiroth's has always been seething hatred and cruelty. A beautiful figure juxtaposed with murderous, and mocking malice. He will calmly and cooly destroy you.

The fact he speaks of his intention with such calm and assuring words illustrates his character, perfectly.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer

I love these..... but I have to wonder... why are they upscaling lower resolution images to 5002x5002?

When you view it full-size:

RuEfQSk.jpg

Yeah.. that's pretty ugly. It also affects how the image looks overall, even when not viewed at full resolution. The strands of hair aren't as nice as they would be if this was released as-is, without upscaling. I know I've mentioned this before, but it still puzzles me. I would understand keeping them 1000x1000 to prevent people from making un-official prints with super hi-res renders, but resizing smaller images to larger just makes your presentation not as good as it could be.

Strange upscaling aside, I'm really impressed with how they recreated the Nibelheim sky:
geHNoGq.png

Last edited:

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
Whoever is uploading these on the press website has to realize the quality is terrible. Is there some reason behind this? The only thing that I could think of, which is me reaching, is that SE is trying to prevent unofficial posters/wall scrolls/whatever from being made using the nicer quality images.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Whoever is uploading these on the press website has to realize the quality is terrible. Is there some reason behind this? The only thing that I could think of, which is me reaching, is that SE is trying to prevent unofficial posters/wall scrolls/whatever from being made using the nicer quality images.

Have to assume that's the reason. But it's inconsistent. The Aerith and Barret keyart releases weren't upscaled, and while they had JPEG compression issues, it wasn't too bad compared to Scruffiroth's hair. Tifa's "full" keyart is only 1000x752 (the other two resolutions appear to be scaled up/cropped from this), while Aerith and Barret's are 3900x3056/3900x2928. However Reno and Rude's profile shots are upscaled, and of course there were the initial hi-res profile shots of Cloud, Barret and Tifa that were replaced with resized versions. But the replacements were scaled down, which results in a smaller but MUCH better looking image overall. I don't see why they're not just releasing the new profile shots at 1000x1000 resolution from the larger originals. It would look better but also discourage "bootlegs".

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I just spent entirely too much time trying to figure out if the Shinra Building would place in the rankings of tallest in the real world (at 70 stories, it'd be in the top 100 in the world), but then I went down a rabbit hole trying to figure out how thick the Shinra building's storeys are (and then there is the whole thing of the top ten floors being physically separated from the rest of the building by quite a distance or so).

I think with the architectural flourishes in mind, It would place in the top 50 for sure and possibly top 25....but it would not come anywhere close to Burj Khalifa....which makes sense given that most of the current top tall buildings were built only after the original game came out.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Going by DoC, there's even more secret floors inside the main support pillar, extending far below the slums. I guess the stuff beneath the ground would be a basement technically, but at the very least I think you could count the support pillar as an extension of the building (in the compilation anyway.)

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Even if you only count whats above the plate, the Shinra Building is on a platform and a jumble of pipes, so that just makes one wonder if you count it or start only at the entrance level.....

My inner architect is going mad.

Top Bottom