How will you be buying yours?

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
I'm torn as to how to buy FF7R.

I'm buying a PS4 just for the occasion so don't know much about how long a download would take. Would it be faster than purchasing a copy from the store down the road?

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any shops in the UK which will be doing midnight releases of the game?

Lifestream.net GET MOSEY!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I pre-ordered the ultra expensive edition because I hate myself I want that Cloud figure. Also promised to get my room mate a copy for christmas, so I have a second copy pre-ordered from the store. Square owns my soul, you see.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I was really thinking of getting it digitally. But i just arranged to lend my buddy Horizon Zero Dawn when the Remake comes out, as Horizon is the only physical game I have for PS4 — I got it for $10 at a used game store. And that got me thinking — even more than having the box art on the shelf and all the aesthetic joy of a physical disc, the actual, tangible, printed version of the game is what I’d rather buy. It won’t just respond to my login information, but who I choose to share it with, or if I (heaven forbid) am not connected to the Internet. I will own the game in a completely different way than I would as a PSN user, although the advantage there is that transaction records don’t get scratched. I dunno, I might do both! But physical first I think. I’ll probably get it digitally when it comes to PC.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
PS4 systems allow for preloads, meaning you can download the data before launch (I think normally a few weeks in advance) ready for it to unlock and play as soon as it hits midnight GMT on 3/3. Realistically digital is the only way you can absolutely guarantee playing it at that time.

That being said, there are a few options in the UK for getting it earlier. High Street shops not so much, independent retailers willing to break street date are hard to come by (the last one I knew was G-Force in Glasgow and they closed a few months back) and the major retailers straight up won't or can't (till systems won't play ball etc.).

Online retailers you may have more luck with though, Simplygames and TheGameCollection I know can dispatch before street date with the intent to arrive by street date, meaning it is possible to get it a day or two early.

I ordered the First Class Edition from Square directly myself. They're saying they'll dispatch for street date but I've a funny feeling they'll bugger it up. We'll see.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
I might keep ear to the ground and see if a shop will do a midnight opening. It's happened with other games, if I'm not mistaken.

That said, I think the download is the only safe option. Do we have any idea on how big the game is going to be? Will a PS4 be able to hold, say, FF7R1-2 and 3?

Lex

Administrator
The pre-load is going live 3 days before release according to the game launch page (I've pre-ordered it on PSN). I did also buy the 1st Class Edition from the Square Enix store.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I tried to order the 1st Class Edition but it was already sold out by the time I did. Got on the waiting list but I have no idea if it'll ever be available again. Pre-orderered the deluxe edition from Gamestop not long after E3 so I at least have that, and I got my PS4 a year or two ago so I'm as ready as I can be.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
^ Pretty much the same for me. I wasn't sure about the 1st Class Edition myself and the deciding factor was the outrageous shipping charges. So I pre-ordered the Deluxe edition from my local EB Games right after they had announced the release date (I think that was the Symphonic reunion event). Got my ps4 back in 2014, back when FF7 remake wasn't even a thing.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I might keep ear to the ground and see if a shop will do a midnight opening. It's happened with other games, if I'm not mistaken.

That said, I think the download is the only safe option. Do we have any idea on how big the game is going to be? Will a PS4 be able to hold, say, FF7R1-2 and 3?
I highly doubt ff72-3 will release on ps4 by the time they come out

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I ordered mine from the Square-Enix store. I went for Deluxe edition since I wasn't too fussed about the bike. I 'd already bought the figure.

In the end, I'm glad I did pre-order it. Back in December, when they sent out the emails to 1st Class Edition buyers explaining how you could pay in advance, there were a lot of suggestions that I could be made redundant from my job (right now, it looks like my job is probably safe, but the threat hasn't gone away entirely). Having it paid for in advance was one less thing to worry about.

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Definitely a physical copy for me, but I’m torn as to whether to rely on the pre-order turning up on the 3rd or whether to just gamble and go and get it from a store on the day.

I’ve taken days off work for this so it’d be a mild form of hell sitting there waiting for the post to turn up, especially when it turns out to be a stack of utility bills...!

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Jeeze, I'm going to have to buy a ps5 too?

Surely they'll release them for both platforms too?

It sounds like PS5 will have PS4 backwards compatibility, so it should work on both platforms. I don't think anything's been said about an actual PS5 release for Part 1.

Edit: sorry, realise I misunderstood the post. In theory, you could just wait until PS5 and just play FF7 on that, but you'd have to be willing to wait. I guess there's a chance they could release later parts on ps4 too, but we won't know until those parts are released.

Last edited:
Reactions: LNK

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Jeeze, I'm going to have to buy a ps5 too?

Surely they'll release them for both platforms too?

PS5 releases at the end of this year. I'd wager part 2 will be out in 2023 at the earliest. Maybe there's a small chance it might still be cross-gen but I definitely don't see that happening for part 3. I think it's safe to say that PS5 will definitely be needed at some point to enjoy the entire Remake.

gapone90

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I pre-ordered 1st Class Edition back in July 2019, I think. Eventually resigned for Deluxe Edition + Soundtrack LP instead. I do not collect action figures, but vinyl - sure. So guys, there is still hope for 1st Class Edition to be available :)

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
It sounds like PS5 will have PS4 backwards compatibility, so it should work on both platforms. I don't think anything's been said about an actual PS5 release for Part 1.

Edit: sorry, realise I misunderstood the post. In theory, you could just wait until PS5 and just play FF7 on that, but you'd have to be willing to wait. I guess there's a chance they could release later parts on ps4 too, but we won't know until those parts are released.
I heard that ps5 was going to have backwards combatibility as well. My hope is they release a compilation of all the parts on whichever console they finish with

AKA
Alex
I'm waiting until it comes out on Steam. Not because I don't own a PS4, but I want the version that's going to have an extra year's worth of updates, patches and (presumably) all future content baked in or able to be bought as DLC alongside it.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I'm not in a hurry to get it because I can't start playing it until spring break. I know that once I start playing, I'll forget all about my students and the marking will go undone, the assignments unreturned. I might even be tempted to pull a sickie.
Didn’t realise you’re a teacher too - damn pulling a sickie may be on the cards, as awful as that sounds ... (@Odysseus)

Top Bottom