• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I ship Rufus/Reno and have developed a taste for RufusxElena, but it won’t bother me if neither of these are explored. Don’t necessarily need ships for character development, or even for fan service.

I’m not sure if a scene with Rufus and Sephiroth would end well at all for Rufus. :monster: But the thought of him having to interact with someone who he is actually kind of terrified of does sound interesting. Personally, I would definitely like to see Rufus and Cloud interact more. They have quite a bit in common and I like how their personalities clash.

I’m imagining... during their fight, Cloud gets a slash on him..
“Thought you didn’t bleed?”
“Hmph!”

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
@Jairus, I’m curious as to what exactly you mean by return on her interest? You really ship this hard so I think most of us feel that you are insisting to have Cloud fall for her and then lose her. Is flirtation not enough? Perhaps it could work to explore parts of her character through her feelings for Cloud, but for Cloud, that has always been the role Aerith played for disc one - she’s connected to his fake persona via the backstory and she’s the one who really begins to melt his icy heart. Later, Tifa, his rock in reality, is the one who completes what Aerith couldn’t have finished. I’m not sure how Jessie could really fit in here, aside from allowing Cloud to loosen up a bit and sharing some optional light flirtation/friendship without the baggage of his past or of dating. I really like Jessie, and I would honestly rather her character be developed without the catalyst of a ship that may have a negative effect on the entire narrative of the whole remake, personally. I also don’t want her to be lovesick. There are enough lovesick female characters out there.

Flirtation without addressing the underlying feelings in some way feels incomplete. It just comes off as an excuse to avoid allowing her to have feelings of any depth for him and to share that space with Aerith and Tifa. And with Part 1 covering all of Midgar, there's no reason Jessie can't also do some of what Aerith did at that point since he'll have more time with her than than he did in the original. Any attraction between Jessie and Cloud doesn't have to have a negative impact on the FFVII story. That's just an assumption people make. I don't want her to be lovesick, either. I would just like the possibility between them to be validated in some way as something that could have happened under different circumstances. Unlike most ships that don't feature Aerith or Tifa, this one actually has the potential for such validation given Jessie's preexisting feelings and the precedent of being able to flirt with her in the OG.

I just would like people to be more open to it and allow that they may not know everything or have thought of every possible way it could be done and not just assume it could only turn out badly. But rather, allow for the possibility that it could work and could serve her character and the narrative. It just doesn't seem right for people to push for expanding every other part of her character except that one aspect when it's as much a part of her as everything else and should be addressed just as much as the rest of her character.

Reactions: LNK

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm going to say one thing relating to the current catastrofuck of a discussion, and then Teioh's suggestion becomes policy.

Flirtation without addressing the underlying feelings in some way feels incomplete.

That's all Aerith is going to get, so we should probably expect the same for anyone of less relevance to the overall story/plot.

Now, what Teioh said:
Perhaps a thread could be started solely for the discussion of Jessie (Biggs and Wedge) and whatever anyone wants to debate about them there? And any further discussion could be diverted there instead of going through pages and pages of back and forth with very little progress? This has happened far too many times in far too many different threads now and to be honest I'm starting to feel about certain characters exactly how I feel about the LTD.

Seriously. No more Jessie debates outside the thread specifically for them.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Do we know it's just for half the game? Or will they push the plate collapse back further than that?

Eerie

Fire and Blood
What's really surprising is that all these women are fawning over Cloud and no one is interested in Biggs. In real life that just wouldn't happen.

Other than that, I also agree on Biggs. That reminds me of Star Wars 1, 2, 3 where I was like "how the fuck did Padme fell in love with that idiot Anakin when she's got Obi Wan RIGHT THERE FFS???" That was simply not credible at all lmao, and Biggs having no love interest is super bizarre to me. :shifty:

Edit: sorry I was going back to quote Licorice and missed the warning message oops. /editing things out

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Wonder if there will be anymore Breaking Bad actors voicing characters in the dub besides Wedge’s VA. Maybe Bryan Cranston would be willing to go back into voice acting (fun fact he did quite a number of anime dubs early in his career, like Macross Plus).

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Brian Cranston as Sephiroth would actually be great. He’s dynamic and sounds like an actual human, he can be sweet, authoritative, enraged. I’ve never understood why “velvet sex” is the only quality Sephiroth’s voiced dialogue has.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Wonder if there will be anymore Breaking Bad actors voicing characters in the dub besides Wedge’s VA. Maybe Bryan Cranston would be willing to go back into voice acting (fun fact he did quite a number of anime dubs early in his career, like Macross Plus).

Blew my mind not too long ago when I found out that he was Fei Long in the SFII Anime Movie

Speaking of Breaking Bad, Aaron Paul did the MC voice for that FFXV tie-in movie as well.

Unpopular opinion? I don't follow VAs (or actors) but/and I think a job like this can make an unknown actor's career. That's why I think it's cool when SE hire unknowns to voice major characters. Moreover, VA work is work where the actor's appearance or possible disabilities make no difference to their performance, so I wish such actors could gain more prominence in voice acting.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Unpopular opinion? I don't follow VAs (or actors) but/and I think a job like this can make an unknown actor's career. That's why I think it's cool when SE hire unknowns to voice major characters. Moreover, VA work is work where the actor's appearance or possible disabilities make no difference to their performance, so I wish such actors could gain more prominence in voice acting.
Eh, while it may not be as significant/important as it is with life action, I don’t think it’s accurate to say a VA background/identity makes completely no difference to the performance.

For example, I don’t think it would have gone over very well if either of Barret’s casted English voice actors had not been black guys.
Or the film “A Silent Voice” (a film that is specifically about deafness with one of its protagonists) casted a deaf voice actress for the role, I don’t think one can say that likely didn’t affect the quality/authenticity of the performance.

Last edited:
Omigod I wasn't thinking about colour or ethnicity. Why is that the first thing that springs to your mind when someone uses the word 'appearance'? I was thinking about attractiveness. There's no actual need, for example, for the actors who voice Tifa or Aerith to be as beautiful as Tifa or Aerith. What they need is the right voice. Maybe that's where SE has been going wrong?

Moreover, any of these characters could have been voiced by black actors. Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, Sephiroth... Don't tell me there aren't non-Caucasian actors out there who would have done a great job.I agree that characters of colour shouldn't be voiced by white actors, but that's because black actors already don't get enough opportunities for work. I also think that principle should change once we have complete equality of opportunity in acting, if that day ever comes.

Barret raises so many issues. Why does he have to be voiced by an American? Why not a Jamaican? Or a Londoner? Or a Kenyan? Just out of interest, who does Barret's VA in Japanese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom