• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge's Roles in the Remake Thread

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I'm fine with a deathbed confession like you were saying, EM, and I do want to see her expanded on as a person like you. I've just always believed that could be done while also doing what MelodicEnigma was saying. Add the deathbed confession on top of that (with Cloud being affected by her confession and loss enough to give her some small amount of reciprocation, even if it's just holding her for a moment without saying anything as she's laying there) and it works just fine. I agree her death is likely to be the big emotional gut punch of Part 1, and rightly so. And having her fatal wound(s) come from taking a blow/shot meant for Cloud and thus, saving his life at the cost of her own, would lead in nicely to that confession and final moment together.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I don't understand. Why does he HAVE to reciprocate her feelings / crush? Why can't we get all this brilliant Jessie development, delving into her past, exploring her present, uncovering how she got into electronics and Avalanche ... really expand her and make her prominent and an even greater female character who leaves a bigger mark than she did in the original ... why can't we have all of that without Cloud needing to have or show feelings for her?

Jairus

How about this question - why can't we have all that and have Cloud have some small reciprocation for her feelings? The two are not mutually exclusive. They can happen at the same time.

Jairus

I do care about her development, Claymore. I want all that you said for her. I want to know more about her background and where she came from, all the stuff you said. I just think that can be done and developed while also letting her and Cloud have a small amount of mutual attraction that he may not even recognize for what it is until the deathbed confession EM suggested. Jessie's feelings for him are a part of her character, and giving her at least a small moment of reciprocation with him would be a way to actually address that part of her character rather than just leaving it hanging and forgotten like they did in the OG.

It's okay, Ody. I know you're just trying to help out, and I appreciate it.

Jairus, you're doing the same thing to Biggs and Wedge that you say other people are doing to Jessie: relegating them to relatively unimportant status. It's not Jessie's death that should be the big emotional punch, but the deaths of all three of them, fighting for what they believe in and trying to save Sector 7. Wedge and Biggs' deaths should carry equal weight with that of Jessie; it should hurt just as much to lose them.

Jairus

Of course I want theirs to hurt, too - it's just that Jessie is the last one you see and the last one to die (and she's the girl of the group), so it should naturally hurt a bit more. And her feelings for Cloud add an extra dimension to hers that isn't there in that of the guys.

Jairus

Where did you hear he had a crush on her? That was never mentioned in the OG, just that he likes her cooking. And about Jessie being the girl, I understand what you're saying, but I think there's a natural impulse in people to take the death of a girl a bit harder than the death of a guy. Maybe it shouldn't make a difference, but I think sometimes it does.

Jairus

We don't even know if he'll have that fall this time. It may happen differently. He was lower down in the tower when Barret and Jessie left him behind to go higher up in the TGS trailer.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Do you mean the GS thing actually being referred to as a date or Cloud and Aerith actually proclaiming themselves to be dating each other?

I'm … not sure? Maybe something like Aerith mentioning their Gold Saucer date in the forest of the ancients scene/dream if that takes place or maybe when Cloud says he remembers Aerith a lot it flashbacks to times they spent together including the date ... maybe something just casual or natural like when Aerith mentions the date in Dissidia Opera Omnia and other medias ... perhaps just something that makes their relationship stand out a little bit more so that scenes like Cait Sith's prediction or "what about us ... what are we supposed to do scenes" might carry even more impact than usual for people especially new players (again if scenes like those still take place) . Perhaps Cloud and Aerith or both seem more invested or involved in the prospect of the date happening or in dating or in each other or that the game really empathises the impact Aerith has had on Cloud and how important she is becoming to him. Maybe even just simple things like other characters referring to Aerith as Cloud's girl like Balthier does in FFXII about Penelo.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
I think Wedge's death gets the most attention and pathos. It's more dramatic with the fall, and all his dialogue before then is the most starry-eyed. Wanting to be famous for saving the planet etc etc

He's also the only one Cloud has forced dialogue with, you don't have to talk to the others. So many times I have had Cloud walk past Biggs and Jessie without chatting. It was only recently when playing the game on a better TV that I noticed they were even there! Poor Biggs and Jessie, ignored by Cloud as they're dying. There he goes, casually strolling up the stairs to help Barret. Never occurred to me that I should be looking out for them.

Jairus

You actually walk right on top of Jessie since she's kneeling on the stairs.

"Ooops! Didn't see you dying there, Jessie, sorry. Thought I felt something underfoot.."

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Wedge has always had something of a crush on Tifa. Maybe more could be made of that?

You may be thinking of Johnny, but your point remains all the same.

For that matter, though, if we would be unreasonable to base our narrative expectations or character assessments on the original game, there's no reason a mutual attraction between Wedge and Tifa shouldn't get the same treatment as Jessie and Cloud, or even Biggs and Cloud.

Jairus

I never said the original game should be ignored, Tres. Of course it should be taken into account. It's just that many things in the OG were left up to player interpretation, which leaves the remake room to be flexible.

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
Cloud was never interested in Jessie romantic-wise. Suggesting that now in the Remake would totally put me off. It has always been kind of the center of the tragedy that Jessie began to develop one -sided feelings for Cloud and then died. I cannot picture at all Cloud starting to develop feelings for her, death or no death. This simply wouldn’t have happened. There was never a hint of it anywhere.
I want to see more of Jessie and the gang, as well, but not like this. And I’m pretty confident this won’t happen. It would totally alienate Cloud´s character.

Jairus

That's not true, Sasseli - Cloud had the ability to flirt with her in the OG, and you don't usually flirt with someone you're not attracted to. Also, he treats her very differently than the guys in the leaked demo and does nothing to dissuade her interest in him, among many other things. There's possible mutual attraction there. And it wouldn't disrupt Cloud's character to give Jessie a small moment of reciprocation. There's no point to her having her feelings for him if they're not directly addressed in some way, and turning her into a female Zidane as an excuse to avoid giving her feelings any real depth or closure isn't right. Leaving them hanging without doing anything about them isn't right.

Jairus

She did have those feelings, though. They're as much a part of her character as anything else and should be addressed just as much as every other part of her character. I don't understand why people say they want her developed when what they really want is to have every part of her developed except one. That's inconsistent. There should be a purpose for feelings and they shouldn't be ignored or forgotten like they were in the OG.

Last edited:

Jessie Rito

Useless Lesbian
She did have those feelings, though. They're as much a part of her character as anything else and should be addressed just as much as every other part of her character. I don't understand why people say they want her developed when what they really want is to have every part of her developed except one. That's inconsistent.

I dont have a problem with her having feelings for cloud, jairus. I just dont think that should be the main part of her character

Top Bottom