• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

question about Midgar/concept material

Lloyd Irving

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Lloyd Irving
So I was watching Let's Plays of the game and I came on to this part where the gang escapes Midgar:

9NtrYSN.png

I realized I don't really know how this works. What's up with the glass barrier around the base of the city? Why are there doors running into the slums? What kind of security is on those blast doors?

Do we get any info on this? Is there anything in the concept art or other material that describes this? Sorry if there's a general thread where this should go but I couldn't find one.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I've always wondered what the "proper" entrance to Midgar is, because there has to be one for the upper class/plate to get in and out. Maybe it's just a highway, and the party happened to end up on the wrong highway to actually get out. There has to be another entrance, because you need a physical key to get in from that door and that seems excessive - not to mention there are no customs. It's probably a door only people like the Turks have access to. Later in the story, perhaps the party avoids the "proper" entrance to avoid their movement being tracked.

I would chalk the wall itself up to be simply a dystopian attempt to tightly control access points to the city.

Lloyd Irving

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Lloyd Irving
Hopefully the Remake will flesh it out because I'm curious about that proper entrance too. With the wall and those big doors it's definitely to keep people in the slums. I wonder if people in the slums even know about it.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
The remake should definitely make these walls like a hundred feet higher. Stuff like this definitely works in a game where the characters are SD / chibi, where stuff is just meant to be representative regardless, but in the astounding realism of the remake, would not come across as totally believable...

I've always wondered what the "proper" entrance to Midgar is, because there has to be one for the upper class/plate to get in and out. Maybe it's just a highway, and the party happened to end up on the wrong highway to actually get out. There has to be another entrance, because you need a physical key to get in from that door and that seems excessive - not to mention there are no customs. It's probably a door only people like the Turks have access to. Later in the story, perhaps the party avoids the "proper" entrance to avoid their movement being tracked.

I would chalk the wall itself up to be simply a dystopian attempt to tightly control access points to the city.
I also wonder what the proper entrance is. Something bigger and grand and more tightly controlled, for sure. More of a customs-heavy checkpoint. Midgar isn’t a country (Does Gaia have any countries...?) but it’s a) dystopian enough and b) large enough to where I can’t imagine anything other than a customs-heavy entrance existing.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
We see a couple customs/checkpoints to get into Insomnia in XV. It'll probably be something like that.

And presumably the planet used to have nations, at least Wutai, but Shinra's dominance has made them all but irrelevant. but it would be another valuable lore opportunity for the Remake to explore.

Lloyd Irving

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Lloyd Irving
The remake should definitely make these walls like a hundred feet higher. Stuff like this definitely works in a game where the characters are SD / chibi, where stuff is just meant to be representative regardless, but in the astounding realism of the remake, would not come across as totally believable...

I also wonder what the proper entrance is. Something bigger and grand and more tightly controlled, for sure. More of a customs-heavy checkpoint. Midgar isn’t a country (Does Gaia have any countries...?) but it’s a) dystopian enough and b) large enough to where I can’t imagine anything other than a customs-heavy entrance existing.

Gaia definitely had nations at one point but Wutai is the only surviving one. Would be interesting if they fleshed this out more in the Remake. Crisis Core established that there are more towns and villages than what was shown in the base game. (This makes sense considering how many people there are, there should be more population centers to establish global humanity.)

Top Bottom