• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Love Triangle Debate: Another Turn in the Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
(despite the game itself pushing Aeris on you pretty strongly, probability-wise)
Nojima wrote both ff7 & 7r so I don't think it's going to change much.
They'll try to balance out the events but the subtlety will still be there. And Aerith is a Cetra (from what I see her role going to be bigger than everyone even Cloud), Tifa is... well girl next door who can punch. It'll be hard.

Reactions: LNK

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I don’t think they are going to change the plot to an extent that Aerith has more focus than Cloud. Cloud is still the main protagonist of the story and Aerith still dies about two thirds of the way through the main narrative. Being important lore-wise isn’t the same as having prominence narratively (e.g. in Lord of the Rings Gandalf is basically an angel of the world’s God and Aragorn is literally Heir to the lost KingS of the realm, but there is no denying that Frodo is the main protagonist of the story).

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I showed my coworker (who has never played ff7 or has any real interest in it) a picture of Tifa and Aeriス and ask who is best girl.

She said she liked Aeriス because she looked dainty n soft. I said tbh, Tifa is probably the more shy one personality-wise. Her response was, "oh dang I was misled by the designs."

FF7 character design subversion; still working in the year 2020.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
OK going back to that interview posted earlier, something that I found interesting:

The social media discourse led to Hamaguchi and the rest of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake development team putting considerable thought into how much screentime they would give Aerith and Tifa. "[W]e have been very conscious about the player’s amount of time with Tifa and Aerith and keeping it equal. Additionally, we would make sure their representation in-game is balanced as well; for example, if there is a special event scene for Tifa, then we would prepare something similar for Aerith as well."

While it's great, I think they do not understand the underlying LTD problem - which means that it's only going to be heightened now and in the next games: this is not about who has the most interactions with Cloud, this is about who Cloud truly loves :D

I also wonder if they're going to change that dynamic of the OG, which pushes Aerith even if you go the Tifa route (I am thinking of when Cait Sith predicts a clerith outcome, even though if we know it's wrong). It's super annoying, when you push CloTi, to have Cloud stuttering to Aerith that he'll always be there for her or something (Cosmo Canyon I think? Haven't really played for years so my memory is playing tricks). I mean that's great but MY Cloud has ALWAYS been a DICK to Aerith, 0 love interest, why would he suddenly be so nice to her? (BTW this was also why I hated her so much, it didn't help at all with my feelings towards her).

Spoiler for what I have seen so far in the game (seen, not played):

It looks like the game you are getting is indeed vastly influenced by your choices so far (if we talk about cinematics and such), so I'm hoping that this trend will continue! It is interesting to think that depending on your gameplay, and who you romance, the game will feel very different from a player to another, while you won't feel that you're losing anything.

billy22

Pro Adventurer
We're still working out what specifics that's going to call for, but I'm of the opinion that for any sort of peaceful and sane discussion to be had going forward, we should start a new thread in which folks need to declare in their first post their terms with regard to what material they're working from/recognizing for their position -- e.g. the Remake? The original game? Both? With or without the Compilation? With or without Ultimanias and other source guides? With or without developer interviews? Cameo appearances in other games?

Where official translations of some material do not exist, are you counting fan translations? Where official translations do exist yet have been identified by fans as faulty, are only the official translations being recognized or is priority given to the corrections?

Does one incorporate marketing materials into their analysis? Amano's promotional illustrations?

Etc.

Participants then need to stick to what they have declared while others -- if not intending to respond to someone on more or less the same terms -- should just not get into an unnecessary back-and-forth of talking past one another for pages on end.

Again, this is all still being ironed out. I know I'm still overlooking something.
I was more or less wondering if this would be the topic to discuss it, or if there will be a different topic for it since the Remake is technically a 'new' series. From the sound of it, I guess you guys are leaning towards the latter?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
tumblr_oosjcicAnp1tkm4qao2_500.jpg

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
The remake only covered the Midgar part so hmmm... I was VERY surprised to see the amount of screentime and relevance a certain ship has already received in part 01..... I'm not complaining tho :mon:

I wonder if SE is heading towards finally put an end to this discussion or just want to stir things up more (probably the latter). I'm not gonna lie... I'm kinda excited about the revival of the LTD (has it even died in the first place? lol) Seeing that people have already started to complain about discrepancies in translations...... Feels like old times! Very nostalgic :P

(btw, I'm been lurking around here since 2015, but this is my first post here so Hello!)

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I think discussing the LTD right now may be way too early and useless. The game only covers 3-4 days, and they've made sure that the girls would be even, so no matter who you ship, you will be happy with what you're given.

Everyone is given a seamless experience, not aware that other options exist, and soon everyone will fight over what makes the most sense, what is more romantic, etc. I already fear those upcoming days, I already saw people arguing that Aerith was better because a tragic love gives a better story - and I was like a bit WTF lol.

billy22

Pro Adventurer
I think it would be pretty tame tbh. Because at the end of the day you can only speculate about what future titles will bring, so it's hard to bring that into this.

There is plenty to talk about with this remake and I think it could be interesting, but I will wait for a proper topic on that.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
I think discussing the LTD right now may be way too early and useless. The game only covers 3-4 days, and they've made sure that the girls would be even, so no matter who you ship, you will be happy with what you're given.

Everyone is given a seamless experience, not aware that other options exist, and soon everyone will fight over what makes the most sense, what is more romantic, etc. I already fear those upcoming days, I already saw people arguing that Aerith was better because a tragic love gives a better story - and I was like a bit WTF lol.

Yeah! you do have a good point here, but this alone is already a big change for the OG game, no? Since Midgar part was heavenly focused in one ship than the other.

But that's probably SE wanting to make things even for both ships as you said. It could also mean that they're favoring a ship from the beginning .... but idk.. I don't want to bring myself to believe SE will finally give an 'in game/non-questionable' definitive answer for the LTD.

Like really...make Cloud end up with Jessie if that's what they want to...but just end this discussion once and for all pls....:wallbanger:

(btw, I'm not naming ships bc is related to the remake...so it may be spoilers for some people I guess.)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Like really...make Cloud end up with Jessie if that's what they want to...
Yes, I find this line of thinking most agreeable. :P

I was actually surprised by how neutral the remake played things. There was no more clear animosity between Tifa and Aerith like there was orginally. "Is Tifa... a girl? A girlfriend? Oh, how nice..." or "That's right, with Cloud" or "EXCUSE ME?" It was pretty refreshing to see that done away with if I'm being honest.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Yes, I find this line of thinking most agreeable. :P

I was actually surprised by how neutral the remake played things. There was no more clear animosity between Tifa and Aerith like there was orginally. "Is Tifa... a girl? A girlfriend? Oh, how nice..." or "That's right, with Cloud" or "EXCUSE ME?" It was pretty refreshing to see that done away with if I'm being honest.

I'm on the team who actually really liked remake Jessie, she's was fun! So I wouldn't really mind CloudxJessie at all lol

Tifa and Aerith's friendship and cute interactions were literally one of the best things from the remake. It's "Cloud who?" every time they're together... as it should have always been :relieved:

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
They removed Mukki (and Big Bro to an extent). Instead, we got Andrea Rhodea (and Madam M). This saddens me most profoundly.

New LTD in my mind:

Mukki + Big Bro vs Andrea Rhodea + Madam M

Are Andrea and Madam M supposed to be a reverse amalgamation of Big Bro?

But it still really saddens me that there's no Mukki character in this remake.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
They removed Mukki (and Big Bro to an extent). Instead, we got Andrea Rhodea (and Madam M). This saddens me most profoundly.

New LTD in my mind:

Mukki + Big Bro vs Andrea Rhodea + Madam M

Are Andrea and Madam M supposed to be a reverse amalgamation of Big Bro?

But it still really saddens me that there's no Mukki character in this remake.

Jules = Big Bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom