• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

"Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography: TURKS - The Kids Are Alright"

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
He's right. It's awesome!

Ivette

Donator
OMG! Absolutely amazing! Rennard thank you so much for this! Honestly, it feels like an original concept art for a movie/videogame! *_* I love it!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I actually found this out yesterday but I completely forgot to mention.

Thanks for mention about it Twilight.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Pixel buddy:

tenor.gif

Thanks!

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I plan on reading this all through again someday, so thanks a lot, everyone who helped to translate it, edit it, and bring it to life intelligible English <3 <3

BioTeach

Pro Adventurer
I know this thread hasn't been touched in a while, but I was reading this book again yesterday and this one part always seemed odd to me. Well, maybe not odd, but more like I maybe don't understand what is being referenced? Its this paragraph from chapter 35 where Red XIII has just brought Kyrie to Junon. Tseng and Elena are there and Tseng tells Elena to go see what is happening. Here's the paragraph:

"Go look." Tseng smiled wryly behind his subordinate, as she stood up and left. Her legs, visible below the hem of her light dress, were covered in scars. Anyone who became a Turk was a Turk for life. Even those who were pursuing other interests could be mobilized with a single phone call. Tseng sighed, musing that what he did might be cruel.

The two questions I have here are: 1) Why are Elena's legs covered in scars? Did something happen to her that I'm just forgetting about? And 2) “Tseng sighed, musing that what he did might be cruel.” What did he do that was cruel (outside of typical bad guy Turk stuff)? The first time I read it I thought it was in reference to Elena's scars, like maybe he caused them? But I don't think that's right...

I know these are minor details, but I get caught up on it every time I read it. So... Thoughts anyone????

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I know this thread hasn't been touched in a while, but I was reading this book again yesterday and this one part always seemed odd to me. Well, maybe not odd, but more like I maybe don't understand what is being referenced? Its this paragraph from chapter 35 where Red XIII has just brought Kyrie to Junon. Tseng and Elena are there and Tseng tells Elena to go see what is happening. Here's the paragraph:

"Go look." Tseng smiled wryly behind his subordinate, as she stood up and left. Her legs, visible below the hem of her light dress, were covered in scars. Anyone who became a Turk was a Turk for life. Even those who were pursuing other interests could be mobilized with a single phone call. Tseng sighed, musing that what he did might be cruel.

The two questions I have here are: 1) Why are Elena's legs covered in scars? Did something happen to her that I'm just forgetting about? And 2) “Tseng sighed, musing that what he did might be cruel.” What did he do that was cruel (outside of typical bad guy Turk stuff)? The first time I read it I thought it was in reference to Elena's scars, like maybe he caused them? But I don't think that's right...

I know these are minor details, but I get caught up on it every time I read it. So... Thoughts anyone????
I guess tumbling off the slopes at Icicle Inn and rolling for hours didn't agree with her.

I think the scars on her legs are the legacy of a life spent fighting Shinra's battles. i don't think Tseng put them there, except in the sense that a commander puts scars on the troops he orders into battle. If you're a Turk, you're "scarred" for life; your "scars" will always mark you as a Turk, and you'll always put your Turk committments first.

"What he did might be cruel..." I took that to mean the bad guy Turk stuff. But maybe it means that as their commander, he can never let them leave this scarred life.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
My copy of the book (I bought the official English translation for cheap on ebay a couple months ago) has slightly different text for that paragraph.

Tseng watched his operative go with a wry smile. Below the hem of her sundress, old scars marked her legs. Once you joined the Turks, you were in for life. Even those who tried to get out and build new lives could be summoned back with a single phone call. Maybe it was a cruel call to make, Tseng thought, and he sighed.

To me, it reads like Tseng believes that summoning back the former Turks is what is cruel.

Last edited:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I may buy the official translation. As thankful as I am for the unofficial translation, there were many instances of confusing dialog, and I assume that the official translators had the ability to actually chat with the writers to disambiguate.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I've read the official version a few times now. I don't know how it compares to the fan version, but on its own its perfectly readable. Wasn't any confusing phrasing from what I remember.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Veld/Verdot is "Verdot" in On the Way to a Smile, but I hear he's "Veld" in The Kids Are Alright.

Different translators, but they were both published by Yen Press. I don't expect they had any interaction or instruction from Square.

One curiosity I have about TKAA: How is Under Junon referred? Is it a proper noun? E.g. Does the person at the end of Chapter 41 say "In Under Junon?"

Does anyone know where I can access the Japanese version of this novel online?
Also, in this extract, who is speaking the lines coloured green? I think Tseng is speaking the first one and Rufus the second, but because the translation doesn't follow Ebglish rules for laying out dialogue, it's difficult to know for sure.

Rufus thought about his late father. The man only showed affection with money or objects. In other words, it was believed that Annette Townsend had received more affection than other women. What did Annette give to his father in return. It was a no brainer. It was in exchange for me.

“Yes, but she refused to accept the money.”

Listening to the report from Tseng, Rufus smiled wryly. She hated his father too.

“Her son is 19 years old.”

“Evan Townshend. According to Reno, he runs a detective agency with his friends, based in the slums. It’s not just any detective work, it’s with a girl who claims that she can read the lifestream— which is, of course, a lie— but they seem to be doing pretty well.”

Tseng’s eyebrow rose slightly.

“Something seems strange.”

“They have business acumen.”

“Isn’t this fraud.”

“Certainly, it is risky.”

“Hmm. It’s funny that both brothers would be relying on the Ancients.”

Top Bottom