SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
So could you handle the fate if the canon couple isn't the one that you like? That is why I don't think there will ever be a conclusion to the LTD.

What is Barrets favorite line, " Ain't no getting of this train that we are on"

With the speed things are going, there's nothing to handle when I'm already dead by then. :sadpanda:

And I thought it was obvious I was joking. My soul won't not rest from this. I have no soul in the first place.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
I think that even though the developers have their favourites, they will never, ever provide a canon answer to this question. Partly out of respect for the fans, and partly because of the way they set up the game and its relationships in the first place. Why go to all that trouble only to undercut your own work?

Somewhere (well, Japan I reckon), Nojima is smiling.

(IMHO the canon answer is, Cloud loved both, but one died and one lived).

Yeah I gotta second this. Seeing this sentiment more often in the wild, too. The times, they are a changin'.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Man this thread exploded overnight. Anyways, in re: Just the remake, Aerith is attracted to Cloud. Cloud is attracted to Aerith, Tifa, and even Jessie. As he has a pulse, this is normal and doesn't mean much of anything.

In Re: who softened Cloud? Literally everyone. Even the landlady helps soften him and gets him to consider be a better person (For Tifa's sake).

In Re: Jealousy, Tifa being Jealous of Aerith's connection doesn't mean Cloud loves her. My fiancee is jealous of my rapport with one of my best friends (and feels terrible about feeling jealous), doesn't mean I'm gonna leave the fiancee for the friend.

In Re: the actual ship dynamics? Aerith is trying to play matchmaker. She is pushing for Cloud and Tifa herself. If this were a highschool comedy, she'd be Tifa's supportive older friend that keeps doing stuff to try and get Tifa to admit her feelings.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Pockets of discussion in this thread dipped into a lack of civility and even open hostility over the past 10 hours. Reminders of the expectations for this sub-forum have now been sent to the relevant parties. Everyone, please take this moment to apprise or re-apprise yourselves of this sub-forum's rules.

If we all do our part, the discussions held today won't be something we have to look back on with shame.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Pockets of discussion in this thread dipped into a lack of civility and even open hostility over the past 10 hours. Reminders of the expectations for this sub-forum have now been sent to the relevant parties. Everyone, please take this moment to apprise or re-apprise yourselves of this sub-forum's rules.

If we all do our part, the discussions held today won't be something we have to look back on with shame.

All's I know is that Chair/ Aerith is the one true C/A ship and I will fight people to death about it. With a chair. But yeah, we are all nominally adults here, even the people who aren't yet can act like it. We can leave the past in the past and be better people arguing about which group of polygons wants to bang which other group of polygons (Spoilers, they all do.)

a_apple

Pro Adventurer
AKA
orange
Man this thread exploded overnight. Anyways, in re: Just the remake, Aerith is attracted to Cloud. Cloud is attracted to Aerith, Tifa, and even Jessie. As he has a pulse, this is normal and doesn't mean much of anything.

In Re: who softened Cloud? Literally everyone. Even the landlady helps soften him and gets him to consider be a better person (For Tifa's sake).

In Re: Jealousy, Tifa being Jealous of Aerith's connection doesn't mean Cloud loves her. My fiancee is jealous of my rapport with one of my best friends (and feels terrible about feeling jealous), doesn't mean I'm gonna leave the fiancee for the friend.

In Re: the actual ship dynamics? Aerith is trying to play matchmaker. She is pushing for Cloud and Tifa herself. If this were a highschool comedy, she'd be Tifa's supportive older friend that keeps doing stuff to try and get Tifa to admit her feelings.
This reminds me, Cloud gets jealous too when the Item shopkeeper from sector 7 tries to hit on Tifa, I mean does that proof that Tifa and the item dude are mutually interested in each other?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I am gonna go to bed so consider this a closing statement. From my point of view, and I can easily see this being erroneous, you guys were ganging up on BlankBeat for milquetoast, uncontroversial opinions about Aerith affecting Cloud's character development and romantic underpinnings to certain scenes. And many of these takedowns were just based on the personal standards of the poster masquerading as an objective judgment.

I can't speak for everyone else that disagreed with BB. For me, my only disagreement was the fact that they pushed Tifa moments to the background, while putting Aerith on a pedestal. That's not needed to decide on which "ship" you like.

To me, it seems like SE (and Square) intent was to give both heroines "ship" moments with Cloud. It's up to the player, to go one way or the other.

So could you handle the fate if the canon couple isn't the one that you like? That is why I don't think there will ever be a conclusion to the LTD.

What is Barrets favorite line, " Ain't no getting of this train that we are on"
I know I could. And I'm on Tifa's side. I like her character more, but I can't deny that Aerith gets "ship" moments just like she does. It just depends on how the player wants to look at it. If SE decided Aerith was canon, so be it

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Wow.. what happened here overnight? ( and I was so happy this thread was moving slowly so I could keep up :sob:)

There are a few things I'd like to comment about what was previously discussed here, but right now I don't see a point.

As Aerith said:

89ce56e0fd5b4800fcd7e896e174d4bd818e2ab0.png

Thanks @BlankBeat for the picture! I'll probably be using it a lot here :mon:

No, they must put an end to this LTD conclusively so that my ghost will not haunt the planet once I'm finally in my grave. I don't care what it is, just end this so I can rest in peace. :ffuuu:

I'll personally fight these devs if they don't give an irrefutable answer for this trainwreck that is the LTD this time :monstersmash: jk jk

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
Re: disagreement with BB

I can speak for myself. My main gripe with her posts isn't so much that she ships Clerith (seriously, happy sailing from the bottom of my hypothalamus). It's that when I see most of her posts, they read something like this:

Question: "So does Cloud love Tifa?"

BB: "Yes, but actually no."

And Graymouse, my preferred 'ship' (that is, the ship that I like) is actually Tifa-Rufus (sorry, Lic, we're going our separate ways here), and yet I'm still well and able. I'm pretty sure I can handle it. My life does not revolve around ships. I prefer submarines myself.

What's already under water can no longer sink.

PS
The Next City is a really good Tifa/Rufus fic. I stopped reading it because there were such big lacuna between updates, but when she's finished I'll sit down and read the whole thing in one sitting
https://archiveofourown.org/works/729036/chapters/1354043

Out of the Blue is a fic I enjoyed a lot
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5843914/1/Out-of-the-Blue

Emerial wrote some good Rufus/Tifa, but never really finished anything. They're all more like mood pieces.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Emerial/pseuds/Emerial

BlankBeat

Pro Adventurer
But Cloud, Aerith, and Tifa are in an established love triangle (as stated in the OG gaming manual).

The reason Tifa isn't jealous of Cloud's continued feelings for Zack is because Zack isn't in the love triangle.

It is specifically stated that Tifa is jealous of Cloud's feelings for Aerith because Aerith is Tifa's "love rival."

Until other people are added to this love triangle, it only takes common sense to know why Tifa is jealous of Cloud's continued feelings for her "love rival" Aerith Gainsborough.

As we all know, the hero is stated to "waver" between both heroines. Tifa is jealous because Cloud continues to "waver" to Aerith, even in death.

Is the friend your wife is jealous of a member of your love triangle?

Is your friend called your wife's "love rival"?

Unless you start to "waver" between your wife & friend, your example is irrelevant.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
What if the Remake abandons the rivalry part completely?

Did anyone else notice that the game completely omitted the scene where Tifa flashes that moment of shock and jealousy when Cloud and Aerith were talking in the prison cell?

In fact, even in the train graveyard when Aerith claimed Cloud as her bodyguard, Tifa didn't react jealously at all.

They literally shared Cloud there.

There was.. Not actual conflict between the two over Cloud. The story actually went the opposite route and brought Aerith and Tifa together.

This is clearly a purposeful omission and given what Nojima said about how he wrote the two women for the Remake, I honestly don't think we'll see the Remake going in that rivalry direction this time.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
But Cloud, Aerith, and Tifa are in an established love triangle (as stated in the OG gaming manual).

The reason Tifa isn't jealous of Cloud's continued feelings for Zack is because Zack isn't in the love triangle.

It is specifically stated that Tifa is jealous of Cloud's feelings for Aerith because Aerith is Tifa's "love rival."

Until other people are added to this love triangle, it only takes common sense to know why Tifa is jealous of Cloud's continued feelings for her "love rival" Aerith Gainsborough.

As we all know, the hero is stated to "waver" between both heroines. Tifa is jealous because Cloud continues to "waver" to Aerith, even in death.

Is the friend your wife is jealous of a member of your love triangle?

Is your friend called your wife's "love rival"?

Unless you start to "waver" between your wife & friend, your example is irrelevant.
You make a good point as it pertains to the OG. But the remake is not following the OG 1:1

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
What if the Remake abandons the rivalry part completely?

Did anyone else notice that the game completely omitted the scene where Tifa flashes that moment of shock and jealousy when Cloud and Aerith were talking in the prison cell?

In fact, even in the train graveyard when Aerith claimed Cloud as her bodyguard, Tifa didn't react jealously at all.

They literally shared Cloud there.

I mean, there was definitely a reaction there I would call momentary jealousy, but your overall point is still on point.

And yeah, it's entirely possible for the remake to change the nature of this thing. As it is, Jessie was given way more romantic prominence than I could have guessed.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
I think Rude might be jealous about that

You know what the sad part of that is, I can almost agree to that. Tifa with Rude. Almost.

Perhaps that is what Tifa needs, instead of a mentally unstable 16 year old in a 20 year olds body.

I don't think it would work out being that Tifa hates everything Shinra. Perhaps they can work it out. Rude can quit t he Turks right?

What the hell am I saying! Tifa and Cloud for Life! :D

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
You know what the sad part of that is, I can almost agree to that. Tifa with Rude. Almost.

Perhaps that is what Tifa needs, instead of a mentally unstable 16 year old in a 20 year olds body.

I don't think it would work out being that Tifa hates everything Shinra. Perhaps they can work it out. Rude can quit t he Turks right?

What the hell am I saying! Tifa and Cloud for Life! :D
Lol I think they would be very interesting. It would definitely have to be post remake that they end up together though

Top Bottom