• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

[Rankings] 7 Best Moments From [Insert Character] In VII Remake

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
TLS community has spoken!

Nominations were fielded offering up several distinctive moments for each of the core characters within Final Fantasy VII Remake. We now must decide which of these moments impressed us the most as we rank each character moment in a vicious all out fight to the death (that last part might be a tad exaggerated).

Was comforting Biggs during his touching death scene at the pillar truly Cloud's greatest moment from the game? Does Barret's gruff tones singing the victory fanfare tickle you beyond compare to any of his other scenes? Does Aerith going into full WWE wrestling diva mode encapsulate everything that you love about her?

YOU get to decide!

----- ----- -----

THE COMMUNITY'S NOMINATIONS

Here is the final list of character moment nominations put forward for Cloud, Barret, Tifa and Aerith.

THE 7 BEST MOMENTS FOR CLOUD
  • Cloud-In-A-Dress quickly cutting Tifa off - yes, he nailed it!
  • Reaction to expensive hand-massage session
  • That dance with Rhodea
  • Mowing down soldiers with Hardy Daytona in the Shinra HQ lobby
  • Comforting Biggs - "this isn't over"
  • Facing off against Corneo's thugs in chapter 3 "like I give a shit"
  • "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge
  • Throwing his sword through the glass wall to shatter it during the escape from Shinra HQ
  • Trying to scare Aerith at their first meeting "so keep your distance"
  • Refusing to give Barret false hope with regards to Marlene
We have 10 best character moments, chosen by the community, for Cloud.

THE 7 BEST MOMENTS FOR BARRET
  • Barret's aftermath of the Sector 7 plate
  • Chapter 2 speech
  • Barret's reaction to Marlene remembering not to talk to strangers line to Cloud at Seventh Heaven
  • Climbing the Shinra HQ stairs
  • The "I was wrong about you scene" to Cloud
  • "They were supposed to return ... to us."
  • After the Jenova talk, Barret's "I don't give a shit about any of that" as he is focused on Shinra
  • Chapter 16 - his "a good man is not without sin" during the elevator ride and his "terrible but beautiful" speech about the view of Midgar
  • Singing the battle theme
  • Chapter 18. "Wouldn't be the first time I spit in destinys eye"
We also have 10 best character moments for Barret.

THE 7 BEST MOMENTS FOR AERITH
  • Aerith's "permission to kill" line followed by Cloud's "denied" at the Don Corneo mansion
  • Retrieving Marlene from Seventh Heaven / deal with Tseng
  • Aerith falling from the ladder - shit!
  • The predator and prey banter with Cloud
  • Going all WWE on the Corneo thug with the chair
  • The "in this moment, I need to know I did everything I could" speech. Powerful
  • Gambling habits with Chocobo Sam
  • Aerith attempting to keep it together and remain stoic under Hojo's words before letting it slip when he leaves. Intense!
  • Intro scene. The way the music kicks in as she holds out the flower to Cloud
We have 9 best character moments for Aerith.

THE 7 BEST MOMENTS FOR TIFA
  • Her resolution scene
  • The Chun-Li dress
  • The "lessons from the ground floor" during Sector 7 navigation / orientation
  • Comes back to save Cloud from falling from the top floor of Shinra HQ
  • The drink scene at the bar where she fells 'trapped'
  • "Now the slums should be safe!" goofy moment after her first mission with Cloud
  • Telling the Shinra Manager she doesn't want anyone to be hurt
  • Relationship with Marle
  • The talk in their room before you pick her dress. "do you even have fancy clothes" - felt like a real conversation between friends
We have 9 best character moments for Tifa.

----- ----- -----

THE RULES

To uncover the ultimate best moment for each character, we ask that you rank these moments!

Take a look at each character moment nomination list and dedicate a point to each using a sliding scale from your Least Impressive Character Moment (1 point) to your Most Impressive Character Moment (9 or 10 points respectively). Since Cloud and Barret have 10 moments to choose from, their scale will be out of 10. Since Tifa and Aerith have 9 moments to choose from, their scale will obviously be out of 9.

To reiterate, the higher the score that you give a moment, the more you liked that moment.

At the end of the voting period (Sunday 17th May at 16:30 GMT) all the points will be tallied up in order to discover the final ranking order for the moments, per character, as chosen by the community.

To keep some sense of consistency and fairness in the points total across the board, we ask that you rank all four characters - not just your favourite character. Ranking posts may not be recognised if this isn't done.

Feel free to rally the community behind your favourite character moment and get them to change their votes / minds!

----- ---- -----

THE RANKINGS

Please use this template. Just change the point allocation to your preferred ranking:

CLOUD

Assign 10 points. 10 = Best Moment. 1 = Least Favourite Moment.

(8) Cloud-In-A-Dress quickly cutting Tifa off - yes, he nailed it!
(6) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session
(5) That dance with Rhodea
(3) Mowing down soldiers with Hardy Daytona in the Shinra HQ lobby
(10) Comforting Biggs - "this isn't over"
(2) Facing off against Corneo's thugs in chapter 3 "like I give a shit"
(7) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge
(4) Throwing his sword through the glass wall to shatter it during the escape from Shinra HQ
(1) Trying to scare Aerith at their first meeting "so keep your distance"
(9) Refusing to give Barret false hope with regards to Marlene

BARRET

(10) Barret's aftermath of the Sector 7 plate
(4) Chapter 2 speech
(9) Barret's reaction to Marlene remembering not to talk to strangers line to Cloud at Seventh Heaven
(8) Climbing the Shinra HQ stairs
(2) The "I was wrong about you scene" to Cloud
(7) "They were supposed to return ... to us."
(3) After the Jenova talk, Barret's "I don't give a shit about any of that" as he is focused on Shinra
(1) Chapter 16 - his "a good man is not without sin" during the elevator ride and his "terrible but beautiful" speech about the view of Midgar
(6) Singing the battle theme
(5) Chapter 18. "Wouldn't be the first time I spit in destinys eye"

AERITH

Assign 9 points. 9 = Best Moment. 1 = Least Favourite Moment.

(7) Aerith's "permission to kill" line followed by Cloud's "denied" at the Don Corneo mansion
(6) Retrieving Marlene from Seventh Heaven / deal with Tseng
(5) Aerith falling from the ladder - shit!
(9) The predator and prey banter with Cloud
(3) Going all WWE on the Corneo thug with the chair
(4) The "in this moment, I need to know I did everything I could" speech. Powerful
(2) Gambling habits with Chocobo Sam
(8) Aerith attempting to keep it together and remain stoic under Hojo's words before letting it slip when he leaves. Intense!
(1) Intro scene. The way the music kicks in as she holds out the flower to Cloud

TIFA

(9) Her resolution scene
(1) The Chun-Li dress
(5) The "lessons from the ground floor" during Sector 7 navigation / orientation
(7) Comes back to save Cloud from falling from the top floor of Shinra HQ
(6) The drink scene at the bar where she fells 'trapped'
(2) "Now the slums should be safe!" goofy moment after her first mission with Cloud
(8) Telling the Shinra Manager she doesn't want anyone to be hurt
(4) Relationship with Marle
(3) The talk in their room before you pick her dress. "do you even have fancy clothes" - felt like a real conversation between friends

To reiterate, the higher the score that you give a moment, the more you liked that moment.

Want more? Then there is also the Other category...

----- ----- -----

This segment isn't compulsory!

We had quite a few nominations for other characters featured within the Remake. If you want, you can also do rankings for...

THE 7 BEST MOMENTS FOR OTHER CHARACTERS
  • Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith
  • Cait Sith - The one and only scene he is in!
  • Jessie - holding onto Cloud during the motorcycle segment
  • Jessie - kissing Cloud and causing his brain to shut down for a few seconds
  • Sephiroth - killing President Shinra
  • Biggs - his death scene
  • Wedge - When he confronts the guards to let people evacuate
  • Wedge - Supporting his cats during platefall
  • Red XIII - Making fun of Barret
  • Red XIII - his introduction to Heideggar
  • Red XIII - trying to smile
  • Heideggar - trying to smile
  • Scarlet - kneeing the news reporter in the balls
  • Reeve - turning spinelessness into a fine art
  • Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection
  • Rufus - every scene he is in
  • President Shinra - the museum!
  • President Shinra - dialogue with Avalanche at Mako Reactor 5
  • Palmer - chasing the Honeybee staff with a net
  • Johnny - the sauce!
  • Johnny - ass kicked in the colliseum
  • Roche - second duel "push it past the redline"

Because there are so many nominations in this category, simply pick your Top 7 moments from out of the above list, then rank them.

7 = Your Favourite Moment. 1 = Least Favourite Moment.

(7) Biggs - his death scene
(6) Red XIII - Making fun of Barret
(5) Johnny - the sauce!
(4) Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith
(3) Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection
(2) Rufus - every scene he is in
(1) Scarlet - kneeing the news reporter in the balls

----- ----- -----

Happy ranking!

Last edited:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
For the Other category (why couldn't some of those characters have had their own separate categories btw instead of being lumped together? Certainly some characters had enough moments in the game overall that they could've had their own categories instead of giving that honor to only the PC's), how does the scale work? 1 being worst and 7 being best? Or the other way around?

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
For the Other category (why couldn't some of those characters have had their own separate categories btw instead of being lumped together? Certainly some characters had enough moments in the game overall that they could've had their own categories instead of giving that honor to only the PC's), how does the scale work? 1 being worst and 7 being best? Or the other way around?

A. Please don't make this about Jessie.
B. As stipulated in the Nominations thread, I offered the chance for anyone in the Other category to get their own dedicated video IF they could somehow receive 7 distinctive nominations from within the Community. As you can see from the compiled list of nominations that came in, no one reached that limit. This is the reason why I offered a grouped 'Other' video
C. Please don't make this about Jessie.
D. The Other category works with the same sliding scale as the main character rankings, but this time, you are only choosing your top 7, not having to rank the entire list. Best Other Character Moment (7 points) down to Least Impressive Other Character Moment (1 point)
E. Please don't make this about Jessie.

Jairus

Did I mention her? No. But if it had been laid out from the start that other significant characters also each had their own dedicated category, then I'm sure people would've thought of more moments for them, but because it was made both optional and a collective group thing, people naturally put less thought into it than they otherwise might have. It's just an example of the often-subconscious differentiation people make between PC's and NPC's that I've pointed out before, often unknowingly and unintentionally putting them on a lower tier just because they don't have playability. I just have to wonder how differently this would've turned out if all the characters involved had been treated exactly the same regardless of whether they were PC's or NPC's.

For instance, all characters could've been limited to 5 moments to make it easier for those who aren't PC's to have the same number of them as those who are rather than giving the PC's way more and grouping the rest together. Just an example. Or, if groups must be used, having categories for individual subgroups like the Turks or the Shinra Execs (as an example) since some characters get more screen time than others could've also worked. Reno and Rude might have enough to get their own separate categories, but as Rufus doesn't appear as much as they do, grouping all three together might've been a better choice for them. As for the trio, they could've had their own group category, but they each also have enough screen time across five chapters that they could've each had their own individual categories instead, unlike most other NPC's. So there's that. But this is all just examples and hypothetically showing an alternate way this could've been done that would've treated the NPC's as more of a part of it rather than just an afterthought, encouraging people to think of them just as much as the PC's.

Last edited:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Did I mention her? No.

Jairus, please don't play dumb. You are too intelligent for that. You never need to mention her by name. We all know who you are talking about. It is the same person who you always talk about. It is the consistent point of discussion that you engage with on these forums. Do I really need to highlight all the specific posts which you've raised about SE's lumped marketing of the trio, her elevation as a main playable character, both in this part and in further installments, and how we could firmly cement her as a love interest for Cloud going forward?

I mean, I literally just saw a post about you wanting her to be a new main playable character after Aerith leaves the group.

Seriously, let's not play games here. There is only one person who you ever allude to within all of your comments. You don't even need to mention her by name.

But if it had been laid out from the start that other significant characters also each had their own dedicated category, then I'm sure people would've thought of more moments for them, but because it was made both optional and a collective group thing, people naturally put less thought into it than they otherwise might have. It's just an example of the often-subconscious differentiation people make between PC's and NPC's that I've pointed out before, often unknowingly and unintentionally putting them on a lower tier just because they don't have playability. I just have to wonder how differently this would've turned out if all the characters involved had been treated exactly the same regardless of whether they were PC's or NPC's. For instance, all characters could've been limited to 5 moments to make it easier for those who aren't PC's to have the same number of them as those who are rather than giving the PC's way more and grouping the rest together. Just an example.

Thank you for your input.

Yes, there is a clear differentiation between what constitutes a main playable character and a NPC. For the end objective of what was supposed to be a simple and fun exercise for a video series, I provided a moments category for each of the four main playable characters that SE allows us to use within the Remake. Notice that Red XIII wasn't featured among them.

No, there will not be a separate video series for every single "significant" character featured within the Remake. And no, I will not be asking people to somehow dig deep and find 5 distinctive moments for each of those characters.

Now, feel free to provide your rankings for the 'Others' category or I am kindly asking you to leave this discussion out of the Rankings thread.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Thanks for all your work organizing this Claymore, I can't wait to see the final results. Happy voting y'all!

CLOUD

(9) Cloud-In-A-Dress quickly cutting Tifa off - yes, he nailed it!
(7) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session
(4) That dance with Rhodea
(10) Mowing down soldiers with Hardy Daytona in the Shinra HQ lobby
(1) Comforting Biggs - "this isn't over"
(8) Facing off against Corneo's thugs in chapter 3 "like I give a shit"
(6) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge
(5) Throwing his sword through the glass wall to shatter it during the escape from Shinra HQ
(3) Trying to scare Aerith at their first meeting "so keep your distance"
(2) Refusing to give Barret false hope with regards to Marlene

BARRET

(5) Barret's aftermath of the Sector 7 plate
(4) Chapter 2 speech
(9) Barret's reaction to Marlene remembering not to talk to strangers line to Cloud at Seventh Heaven
(6) Climbing the Shinra HQ stairs
(8) The "I was wrong about you scene" to Cloud
(3) "They were supposed to return ... to us."
(10) After the Jenova talk, Barret's "I don't give a shit about any of that" as he is focused on Shinra
(7) Chapter 16 - his "a good man is not without sin" during the elevator ride and his "terrible but beautiful" speech about the view of Midgar
(1) Singing the battle theme
(2) Chapter 18. "Wouldn't be the first time I spit in destinys eye"

AERITH

(4) Aerith's "permission to kill" line followed by Cloud's "denied" at the Don Corneo mansion
(6) Retrieving Marlene from Seventh Heaven / deal with Tseng
(8) Aerith falling from the ladder - shit!
(9) The predator and prey banter with Cloud
(5) Going all WWE on the Corneo thug with the chair
(3) The "in this moment, I need to know I did everything I could" speech. Powerful
(1) Gambling habits with Chocobo Sam
(7) Aerith attempting to keep it together and remain stoic under Hojo's words before letting it slip when he leaves. Intense!
(2) Intro scene. The way the music kicks in as she holds out the flower to Cloud

TIFA

(7) Her resolution scene
(1) The Chun-Li dress
(4) The "lessons from the ground floor" during Sector 7 navigation / orientation
(3) Comes back to save Cloud from falling from the top floor of Shinra HQ
(8) The drink scene at the bar where she fells 'trapped'
(6) "Now the slums should be safe!" goofy moment after her first mission with Cloud
(2) Telling the Shinra Manager she doesn't want anyone to be hurt
(5) Relationship with Marle
(9) The talk in their room before you pick her dress. "do you even have fancy clothes" - felt like a real conversation between friends

THE 7 BEST MOMENTS FOR OTHER CHARACTERS

(7) Red XIII - trying to smile
(6) Rufus - every scene he is in
(5) Red XIII - his introduction to Heideggar
(4) Red XIII - Making fun of Barret
(3) Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith
(2) Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection
(1) Johnny - the sauce!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
CLOUD

(10) Cloud-In-A-Dress quickly cutting Tifa off - yes, he nailed it!
(5) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session
(6) That dance with Rhodea
(3) Mowing down soldiers with Hardy Daytona in the Shinra HQ lobby
(9) Comforting Biggs - "this isn't over"
(8) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge
(4) Throwing his sword through the glass wall to shatter it during the escape from Shinra HQ
(7) Refusing to give Barret false hope with regards to Marlene

BARRET

(10) Barret's aftermath of the Sector 7 plate
(4) Chapter 2 speech
(8) Barret's reaction to Marlene remembering not to talk to strangers line to Cloud at Seventh Heaven
(6) Climbing the Shinra HQ stairs
(7) The "I was wrong about you scene" to Cloud
(9) "They were supposed to return ... to us."
(3) After the Jenova talk, Barret's "I don't give a shit about any of that" as he is focused on Shinra
(2) Chapter 16 - his "a good man is not without sin" during the elevator ride and his "terrible but beautiful" speech about the view of Midgar
(5) Singing the battle theme
(1) Chapter 18. "Wouldn't be the first time I spit in destiny's eye"

AERITH

(4) Aerith's "permission to kill" line followed by Cloud's "denied" at the Don Corneo mansion
(5) Retrieving Marlene from Seventh Heaven / deal with Tseng
(6) Aerith falling from the ladder - shit!
(2) The predator and prey banter with Cloud
(7) Going all WWE on the Corneo thug with the chair
(9) The "in this moment, I need to know I did everything I could" speech. Powerful
(1) Gambling habits with Chocobo Sam
(8) Aerith attempting to keep it together and remain stoic under Hojo's words before letting it slip when he leaves. Intense!
(3) Intro scene. The way the music kicks in as she holds out the flower to Cloud

TIFA

(9) Her resolution scene
(2) The Chun-Li dress
(6) The "lessons from the ground floor" during Sector 7 navigation / orientation
(8) Comes back to save Cloud from falling from the top floor of Shinra HQ
(7) The drink scene at the bar where she fells 'trapped'
(1) "Now the slums should be safe!" goofy moment after her first mission with Cloud
(5) Telling the Shinra Manager she doesn't want anyone to be hurt
(2) Relationship with Marle
(4) The talk in their room before you pick her dress. "do you even have fancy clothes" - felt like a real conversation between friends

OTHER

(2) Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith
(7) Jessie - holding onto Cloud during the motorcycle segment
(3) Biggs - his death scene
(4) Roche - second duel "push it past the redline"
(6) Wedge - When he confronts the guards to let people evacuate
(5) Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection
(1) Rufus - every scene he is in
(4) Johnny - the sauce!

Last edited:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Just to make sure, the higher the number we give a moment, the more we like it, right? So the 10 moment for Barret is our favourite and the 1 moment is our least favourite?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
CLOUD

(7) Cloud-In-A-Dress quickly cutting Tifa off - yes, he nailed it!
(9) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session
(3) That dance with Rhodea
(5) Mowing down soldiers with Hardy Daytona in the Shinra HQ lobby
(8) Comforting Biggs - "this isn't over"
(1) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge
(6) Throwing his sword through the glass wall to shatter it during the escape from Shinra HQ
(4) Trying to scare Aerith at their first meeting "so keep your distance"
(10) Refusing to give Barret false hope with regards to Marlene

BARRET

(8) Barret's aftermath of the Sector 7 plate
(10) Chapter 2 speech
(4) Climbing the Shinra HQ stairs
(3) The "I was wrong about you scene" to Cloud
(7) "They were supposed to return ... to us."
(2) After the Jenova talk, Barret's "I don't give a shit about any of that" as he is focused on Shinra
(5) Chapter 16 - his "a good man is not without sin" during the elevator ride and his "terrible but beautiful" speech about the view of Midgar
(6) Singing the battle theme
(1) Chapter 18. "Wouldn't be the first time I spit in destinys eye"

AERITH

(1) Aerith's "permission to kill" line followed by Cloud's "denied" at the Don Corneo mansion
(9) Retrieving Marlene from Seventh Heaven / deal with Tseng
(6) Aerith falling from the ladder - shit!
(8) The predator and prey banter with Cloud
(3) Going all WWE on the Corneo thug with the chair
(5) The "in this moment, I need to know I did everything I could" speech. Powerful
(2) Gambling habits with Chocobo Sam
(7) Aerith attempting to keep it together and remain stoic under Hojo's words before letting it slip when he leaves. Intense!
(4) Intro scene. The way the music kicks in as she holds out the flower to Cloud

TIFA

(9) Her resolution scene
(6) The Chun-Li dress
(8) The "lessons from the ground floor" during Sector 7 navigation / orientation
(4) Comes back to save Cloud from falling from the top floor of Shinra HQ
(7) The drink scene at the bar where she fells 'trapped'
(3) "Now the slums should be safe!" goofy moment after her first mission with Cloud
(2) Telling the Shinra Manager she doesn't want anyone to be hurt
(1) Relationship with Marle
(5) The talk in their room before you pick her dress. "do you even have fancy clothes" - felt like a real conversation between friends

(2) Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith
(1) Jessie - holding onto Cloud during the motorcycle segment
(4) Biggs - his death scene
(5) Red XIII - Making fun of Barret
(7) Rufus - every scene he is in
(3) President Shinra - dialogue with Avalanche at Mako Reactor 5
(6) Roche - second duel "push it past the redline"

Last edited:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Just noticed there could be a mistake with the Others Ranking. Everyone seems to be using my list, just re-organised, but you are free to choose your own Top 7 out of the entire Other nominations!

Apologies if my wording confused the matter.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Just noticed there could be a mistake with the Others Ranking. Everyone seems to be using my list, just re-organised, but you are free to choose your own Top 7 out of the entire Other nominations!

I knew I didn't need to use yours, I just liked the ones you picked. I swapped two out though. The real mistake is that you picked 8 choices, you have two #4s.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Thanks for the spot! Once I start compiling the rankings I'll make sure to prod anyone for a fix when I spot any mistakes.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

Oof! Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't thinking! Fixed my list now

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
This was surprisingly difficult.

CLOUD

(10) Cloud-In-A-Dress quickly cutting Tifa off - yes, he nailed it!
(8) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session
(5) That dance with Rhodea
(4) Mowing down soldiers with Hardy Daytona in the Shinra HQ lobby
(6) Comforting Biggs - "this isn't over"
(7) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge
(3) Throwing his sword through the glass wall to shatter it during the escape from Shinra HQ
(9) Refusing to give Barret false hope with regards to Marlene

BARRET

(8) Barret's aftermath of the Sector 7 plate
(6) Chapter 2 speech
(2) Barret's reaction to Marlene remembering not to talk to strangers line to Cloud at Seventh Heaven
(7) Climbing the Shinra HQ stairs
(10) The "I was wrong about you scene" to Cloud
(4) "They were supposed to return ... to us."
(9) Chapter 16 - his "a good man is not without sin" during the elevator ride and his "terrible but beautiful" speech about the view of Midgar
(1) Singing the battle theme
(5) Chapter 18. "Wouldn't be the first time I spit in destinys eye"

AERITH

(3) Aerith's "permission to kill" line followed by Cloud's "denied" at the Don Corneo mansion
(4) Retrieving Marlene from Seventh Heaven / deal with Tseng
(9) Aerith falling from the ladder - shit!
(1) The predator and prey banter with Cloud (only because I can't remember it lol)
(7) Going all WWE on the Corneo thug with the chair
(8) The "in this moment, I need to know I did everything I could" speech. Powerful
(5) Gambling habits with Chocobo Sam
(6) Aerith attempting to keep it together and remain stoic under Hojo's words before letting it slip when he leaves. Intense!
(2) Intro scene. The way the music kicks in as she holds out the flower to Cloud

TIFA

(8) Her resolution scene
(1) The Chun-Li dress
(4) The "lessons from the ground floor" during Sector 7 navigation / orientation
(3) Comes back to save Cloud from falling from the top floor of Shinra HQ
(6) The drink scene at the bar where she fells 'trapped'
(2) "Now the slums should be safe!" goofy moment after her first mission with Cloud
(5) Telling the Shinra Manager she doesn't want anyone to be hurt
(7) Relationship with Marle
(9) The talk in their room before you pick her dress. "do you even have fancy clothes" - felt like a real conversation between friends

(7) Johnny - the sauce!
(6) Rufus - every scene he is in (Yes, even Rufus loses to The Sauce)
(5) Red XIII - Making fun of Barret
(4) Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection
(3) Wedge - Supporting his cats during platefall
(2) President Shinra - the museum!
(1)
Wedge - When he confronts the guards to let people evacuate (I really like Wedge as a character)

Jairus

Jairus, please don't play dumb. You are too intelligent for that. You never need to mention her by name. We all know who you are talking about. It is the same person who you always talk about. It is the consistent point of discussion that you engage with on these forums. Do I really need to highlight all the specific posts which you've raised about SE's lumped marketing of the trio, her elevation as a main playable character, both in this part and in further installments, and how we could firmly cement her as a love interest for Cloud going forward?

I mean, I literally just saw a post about you wanting her to be a new main playable character after Aerith leaves the group.

Seriously, let's not play games here. There is only one person who you ever allude to within all of your comments. You don't even need to mention her by name.
Posts in other threads don't have anything to do with the current discussion. And I brought up other characters in my response specifically to show what I was trying to say and not limit it to the one you think I mean. Not as a cover, but to actually use them as actual examples of another approach that could have been taken.

Thank you for your input.

Yes, there is a clear differentiation between what constitutes a main playable character and a NPC. For the end objective of what was supposed to be a simple and fun exercise for a video series, I provided a moments category for each of the four main playable characters that SE allows us to use within the Remake. Notice that Red XIII wasn't featured among them.

No, there will not be a separate video series for every single "significant" character featured within the Remake. And no, I will not be asking people to somehow dig deep and find 5 distinctive moments for each of those characters.

Now, feel free to provide your rankings for the 'Others' category or I am kindly asking you to leave this discussion out of the Rankings thread.

I guess you missed my alternate idea to use subgroups dedicated to different sets of characters such as the Turks and Shinra execs instead of a separate one for each character of said group since they don't all have a lot of screen time. But subgroups/categories specifically for such groups would give those groups their own bit of attention without being lumped together with all the other characters in one big Other group.

PC and NPC might be different by definition, but that doesn't mean they have to be treated differently in things like this. Rather, there could be something put in place to nullify that advantage of playability so that all involved characters (or their dedicated subgroups) are treated equally. PC's don't have to be given preference and privilege all the time. They are not the only characters in the game, nor the only ones worth remembering.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
yZTmxzK.gif

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Posts in other threads don't have anything to do with the current discussion. And I brought up other characters in my response specifically to show what I was trying to say and not limit it to the one you think I mean. Not as a cover, but to actually use them as actual examples of another approach that could have been taken.

I guess you missed my alternate idea to use subgroups dedicated to different sets of characters such as the Turks and Shinra execs instead of a separate one for each character of said group since they don't all have a lot of screen time. But subgroups/categories specifically for such groups would give those groups their own bit of attention without being lumped together with all the other characters in one big Other group.

PC and NPC might be different by definition, but that doesn't mean they have to be treated differently in things like this. Rather, there could be something put in place to nullify that advantage of playability so that all involved characters (or their dedicated subgroups) are treated equally. PC's don't have to be given preference and privilege all the time. They are not the only characters in the game, nor the only ones worth remembering.
But screentime isn't (and can't nor should it be) distributed equally, even a Top 5 of moments for Reeve, Red XIII and Rufus means pretty much just listing all their scenes, Don Corneo is basically one scene. You have to make a cutoff point somewhere and playable to not playable is the most obvious. And whether you wanted to talk about Jessie or not, the members of AVALANCHE are nearly the only ones that are around long enough for another approach really makes any difference for.

AKA
Alex
Very fun challenge! It actually took a lot of thought to sort out some of these:

CLOUD

(3) Cloud-In-A-Dress quickly cutting Tifa off - yes, he nailed it!
(7) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session
(8) That dance with Rhodea
(1) Mowing down soldiers with Hardy Daytona in the Shinra HQ lobby
(6) Comforting Biggs - "this isn't over"
(9) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge
(5) Throwing his sword through the glass wall to shatter it during the escape from Shinra HQ
(10) Trying to scare Aerith at their first meeting "so keep your distance"
(4) Refusing to give Barret false hope with regards to Marlene

BARRET

(2) Barret's aftermath of the Sector 7 plate
(4) Chapter 2 speech
(8) Barret's reaction to Marlene remembering not to talk to strangers line to Cloud at Seventh Heaven
(3) Climbing the Shinra HQ stairs
(7) The "I was wrong about you scene" to Cloud
(5) "They were supposed to return ... to us."
(9) After the Jenova talk, Barret's "I don't give a shit about any of that" as he is focused on Shinra
(6) Chapter 16 - his "a good man is not without sin" during the elevator ride and his "terrible but beautiful" speech about the view of Midgar
(10) Singing the battle theme
(1) Chapter 18. "Wouldn't be the first time I spit in destinys eye"

AERITH

(6) Aerith's "permission to kill" line followed by Cloud's "denied" at the Don Corneo mansion
(4) Retrieving Marlene from Seventh Heaven / deal with Tseng
(7) Aerith falling from the ladder - shit!
(8) The predator and prey banter with Cloud
(5) Going all WWE on the Corneo thug with the chair
(2) The "in this moment, I need to know I did everything I could" speech. Powerful
(9) Gambling habits with Chocobo Sam
(3) Aerith attempting to keep it together and remain stoic under Hojo's words before letting it slip when he leaves. Intense!
(1) Intro scene. The way the music kicks in as she holds out the flower to Cloud

TIFA

(1) Her resolution scene
(9) The Chun-Li dress
(7) The "lessons from the ground floor" during Sector 7 navigation / orientation
(4) Comes back to save Cloud from falling from the top floor of Shinra HQ
(2) The drink scene at the bar where she fells 'trapped'
(8) "Now the slums should be safe!" goofy moment after her first mission with Cloud
(6) Telling the Shinra Manager she doesn't want anyone to be hurt
(3) Relationship with Marle
(5) The talk in their room before you pick her dress. "do you even have fancy clothes" - felt like a real conversation between friends

(7) Cait Sith: Existing
(1) Roche: The second duel/"Push it past the redline!"
(2) Marlene: Seventh Heaven rescue.
(6) Jessie: The motorcycle "kiss" scene
(4) Red XIII: Trying to smile
(3) Biggs: The death scene
(5) Wedge: When he confronts the guards to let people evacuate

I also just want to say I was here when the Jessie ship wars began. Never forget.

Jairus

But screentime isn't (and can't nor should it be) distributed equally, even a Top 5 of moments for Reeve, Red XIII and Rufus means pretty much just listing all their scenes, Don Corneo is basically one scene. You have to make a cutoff point somewhere and playable to not playable is the most obvious. And whether you wanted to talk about Jessie or not, the members of AVALANCHE are nearly the only ones that are around long enough for another approach really makes any difference for.
That's why I suggested subgroups as an alternate approach - such as Turks and Shinra Execs. 5 moments collectively for the Turks, for example, shouldn't be hard to come up with. Why does that keep getting overlooked?

Oh and Ry, you've just shown you seem to be completely unable to separate a character from those talking about him or her.

Also, if 5 is to high for an NPC to have enough moments like you said, Roger, then Claymore should never have set the bar that high for an NPC to get their own video.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Not when virtually every interaction with the rest of the forum, always regarding the same character, results in a massive argument, no.

Top Bottom