• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

What kind of house is the Gainsborough residence?

Ghost X

Chances are, who ever designed it just hodge-podged it based on real world buildings. Those triangle-peaked windows in the roof probably have technical names, along with the style of roof itself which looks familiar. Closest I can find is that it appears similar to a "mansard roof", akin to some found on old fast food restaurant franchises. Any architects on the board? :mon:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I'm surprised there were no comments from NPCs in the remake about how nice/ostentatious it is compared to every other dwelling in the slums.

Word spreads fast in communities like that, surely there's gossip about all the Shinra suits that keep going to the Gainsborough residence, and disenfranchisement breeds resentment.

Where's all the bitter cynicism I ask ya?! :monster:

Hi there - I asked what kind of house it was to someone in the fandom who knows architecture. She said it's an "Octagon House"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octagon_house
However, while you can find octagonal houses with mansard roofs all over the world, and certainly in Europe, the "Octagon House" was a turn of the 19th/20th century North American phenomenon. We don't know whether the person who designed the Gainsborough was directly inspired by American Octagon Houses, or by something else.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm surprised there were no comments from NPCs in the remake about how nice/ostentatious it is compared to every other dwelling in the slums.

Word spreads fast in communities like that, surely there's gossip about all the Shinra suits that keep going to the Gainsborough residence, and disenfranchisement breeds resentment.

Where's all the bitter cynicism I ask ya?! :monster:

s/o : elmyra says she would never allow a dying man on the streets, but she's clearly the most privileged person in the slums

me: well, I mean... her daughter seems to be the one doing everyone else's jobs so...

s/o: all of sector 7 is dead and she has a whole ass giant property that's sheltering like 3 people!

me: maybe because she uh... is housing the... only flowers in Midgar?

s/o: I bet she's charging rent to refugees

ForceStealer

Double Growth
s/o : elmyra says she would never allow a dying man on the streets, but she's clearly the most privileged person in the slums

me: well, I mean... her daughter seems to be the one doing everyone else's jobs so...

s/o: all of sector 7 is dead and she has a whole ass giant property that's sheltering like 3 people!

me: maybe because she uh... is housing the... only flowers in Midgar?

s/o: I bet she's charging rent to refugees

In the OG it seems like she basically abandons it and moves to Kalm. I wonder what became of it. (I know if you go back there's no change, but you know what I mean.)

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
It's gonna become A Thing, I'm sure. Looking forward to it.

As to why her place is so nice vs the slums, we don't actually see (in the remake, that is) other residences apart from the orphanage in Sector 5. For all we know, where the other people live could also be nice (sans flowers anyway, since thats particular to Aerith). Whether that also means the same land area for everyone, I'm assuming not, but I also assume Aerith gives a good bit of her money away (she works "for fun" a lot of the time after all) so people are less likely to be mad.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
^ I think so yeah. But I'm quite prepared for someone to say Elmyras real surname is Peritonitis or Theodolite or some shit.

On topic yet tangent - I've seen pics online of the remake house, is there an in game map that indicates how the house/garden fits in with the rest of sector 5? It perplexed me even in the OG

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It's a bit of a walk to their house, and the plants slowly get more plentiful as you get towards it.
Her house is the far left of this map: (the cluster of icons in the right-middle is the main part of town from the OG)
original

So it eases into it a bit, but it is still pretty striking

Top Bottom