• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

How do you pronounce Nibelheim?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Nih-BELL-hime

But then I still read "Tseng" as "Tih-seng" :monster:

Glad people stopped calling Reno "Reh-no" though.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I know we all have inconsistencies in our pronunciations, so this isn't meant as a "gotcha!" but I am curious if you pronounce the T is tsunami? I would say even after altering my pronunciation from seng to sung, I still do pronounce the T in some fashion the way I do with tsunami. Certainly not it's own syllable, but as a more abrupt S.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I know we all have inconsistencies in our pronunciations, so this isn't meant as a "gotcha!" but I am curious if you pronounce the T is tsunami? I would say even after altering my pronunciation from seng to sung, I still do pronounce the T in some fashion the way I do with tsunami. Certainly not it's own syllable, but as a more abrupt S.

I think I say Soo-nah-mi ?

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Haha you want to play that game. Be careful now, as I, being French and half-JP, pronounce things between a French, JP and sometimes... EN accent? :wacky: Keep in mind two things: the French "u" doesn't exist elsewhere, but when I note it down, it's the French pronunciation! Likewise, "th" doesn't exist, so I'll write it down either "ss" or "tt" depending on how I pronounce it (not that I double it, it's to show that I pronounce it OK because it bugs me as a French person to see a word ending by a letter that I'm supposed to not pronounce... bref, French grammar). Also, French so NO EMPHASIS (French sounds very monotonous). And "a" is always in French/JP pronunciation, like in apple, just like "i"="ee".

I think I mostly pronounce like the official French localisation, although I'm not sure for a few.

Edit: because I'm French I'm realising that when I write "e" I mainly mean ""é", not "ee". Sorry about the confusion.

Aerith - Aéreess
Tifa - Teefa
Barret - Barrette (I'm sorry, it's like a "barrette" in French so if you want to hear it, you totally can google it and yes he's a hair accessory)
Cloud - EN pronunciation
Cait Sith - Kèt sitt < I'm sure it's one that they'll pronounce correctly and I'll probably adapt to that
Hojo - Ojo (hahaha)
Sephiroth - Sefeerott
Rufus - Rufuss
Corneo - Cornéo
Cetra - Setra (note that in French C = S when followed by an "e" so it was easy to follow the JP pronunciation)
Yuffie - Yufee
Junon - Junon (like the Roman goddess, so you can google that too)
Wutai - Wuta-i
Mideel - Meedeel
Midgar - Midgar
Mako - Mako
Bugenhagen - Bu-gen-a-gen (hard G, unlike the French, but French so I don't pronounce the "h" lmao)
Seto - Seto and I will FIGHT everyone who dares say "seeto"
Jenova - Jenova
Lucrecia - Lukressia
Red XIII - Red Treize
Elena - Éléna
Tseng - Tseng (I clearly say the "en" there, though IDK if it's the right pronounciation, I should check that out lol)
Corel - Korèl
Mythril - Meetreel
Masamune - Massamune with the JP "u"
Nibelheim - Neebelheim > honestly sounds like an Alsacian name lol

I think French speaker will understand what I mean immediately lmao.

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I should check but I'm pretty sure his name is localised in Red Treize, everyone calls him like that in France (or Nanaki, which is, as you guessed, Nanakee).

RhinoKart

Pro Adventurer
Back in the day, Nibble-hime. I've switched to Neeble-hime since the compilation games came out.

I always pronounce Masamune as Mass-a-moon.

I've been told Canadians pronounce it Mass-a-moon-eh?
:awesome:

Thank you! I'm here all week!

I know this was a joke but I'm Canadian and that is actually exactly how I pronounce it.....

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
I still think "may-ko" in my heart.
Eh why not, here’s everything I say, regardless of accuracy:

Midgar - MID-gar
Mako - MAY-ko
Barret - BEAR-it
Tifa - TEE-fa
Aerith - AIR-iss (like Heiress)
Reno - REE-no
Tseng - TSENG (almost like “sang”)
Kalm - KALM (like California)
Mythril - MYTH-rill (as in myth like legend)
Junon - joo-NON
Corel - ko-REL
Gongaga - gone-GAH-gah
Bugenhagen - BOO-gun-HAA-gun
Yuffie- YUFF-ee (like tough-ee)
Wutai - WOO-tie
Cetra - SEET-ra
Materia - ma-TEE-ree-ah
Mideel - mid-EEL
Shera - SHEE-ra
Cait Sith - kate-SITH (I know, I know)
Jenova - je-NO-va
Sephiroth - SEF-ih-ROTH
Back in the day, Nibble-hime.
I always pronounce Masamune as Mass-a-moon.

As a kid I said masamune "MASS-uh-myoon," since gaining some familiarity with Japanese I have said "ma-SAH-moo-neh"

And I'm here wondering if phonetics for English was invented by drunk cavemen rolling down a hill.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I should check but I'm pretty sure his name is localised in Red Treize, everyone calls him like that in France (or Nanaki, which is, as you guessed, Nanakee).
What's funny is that in the OG, his named was actually localized as "Rouge 13", but everyone I know and myself were calling him "Red Treize" anyway :mon:
I don't know how his name was localized for the remake, though.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The first time I heard a lot of FFVII specific terminology pronounced was in the Japanese version of Crisis Core. So...

mah-ko
mah-ter-ee-a
etc.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Im a strange fellow in that I got into FF7 after norse myth, so i do odd shit like say Midgard and Nifelheim half the time instead of the FF7 versions. Do the same for A Megami Sama too

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
The kana for Nibelheim is read out like “Niburuheimu”

NEE-bool-HA-im is how I say it.

Most of these are the same as Ite’s, with some differences:
Midgar - MID-gar
Mako - MAH-ko
Barret - BEAR-it
Tifa - TEE-fa
Aeris - AIR-is
Reno - REE-no
Tseng - TSENG
Kalm - Like the word “calm”
Mythril - MYTH-rill
Junon - joo-NON
Corel - KO-rel
Gongaga - gon-GAH-gah (like how Zack says it in Crisis Core)
Bugenhagen - BOO-gen-HA-gen
Yuffie- I alternate between the two popular ones, YOU-fie and YUFF-ie
Wutai - WOO-tie
Cetra - SET-ra
Materia - ma-TEE-ree-ah (like material without the l)
Mideel - mid-EEL
Shera - SHEE-ra
Jenova - I alternate between je-NO-va and je-no-va (no stresses at all)
Sephiroth - SEF-ih-ROTH

Remake has mostly been in-line with what I say.

BARE-et with a long a seems so weird to me. In my neck of the woods, if you wanted someone to be called BARE-et, you'd have to spell his name Bairet.

Top Bottom