CULT OF THE POTATO (Girls' Last Tour Club)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Not quite how it ends but eah pretty much.
I just finished the show. It was eh.
No taste, no taste at all smh. Get outta my cult.

Just kidding, I know the series has a limited appeal. You're fine. I dunno, it really struck me in a lot of the right emotional cords.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
I don't know when I'll watch the anime, but I'm reading the manga again. I'm going to work on an essay about Art History and Girl's Last Tour, because it seems the anime left some of the best parts of the story out and it deserves more recognition than it got.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm looking forward to that essay a lot, I really am.

To give the anime some credit, the manga wasn't done when the show got made. It's possible they might adapt the rest eventually too, and I do think the material that isn't present is some of the best. The problem is that there isn't enough manga for a full cour of anime. At most there's enough for 6 episodes. Maybe as an OVA it could work.

EDIT:
See, people still talk about this series, I'm not weird.
(Spoilers)

Last edited:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Ok, answer me this, because it's probably my biggest issue. Does the manga go more into detail about the origins of the 'Cut"? It felt too rushed and hand-wavey to me in the anime.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Ok, answer me this, because it's probably my biggest issue. Does the manga go more into detail about the origins of the 'Cut"? It felt too rushed and hand-wavey to me in the anime.
No it doesn't. From the statues of them you see earlier in the series, you can tell they had some kind of cultural significance, but it never goes deeper than that.

If I had to speculate, I'd say they were probably created in an attempt to end whatever cataclysmic war left the world in the state it's in. Their purpose is to consume weapons, after all. Seems like it was too late to matter though.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The rain song is definitely one of my favorite moments. It's kinda just the whole show in one scene. They're in a crummy situation and make something wonderful out of it.

Thoughts after having watched the anime

Initially I found that the grey, monotone environments were holding the anime down. Many other meditative animes I've watched have had the benefit of colorful, diverse environments, but Girls' Last Tour holds the challenge of making monotone industrial complexes into a thing of beauty. Thankfully from episode four and onwards I found the anime became better at finding interesting environments to show.

Most post-apocalyptic stories tend to get centred on cruelty and gore. The lack of any- and all human corpses and skeletal remains
(which I assume is due to the moomin-style "gods" having devoured the remains)
adds to the other-worldly atmosphere while also becoming escapist from its own genre: It is post-apocalypse but in an idealized world where survival is indeed a priority but it never feels like the characters are going to die anytime soon. There is (almost) no fighting over resources, no human threats, no overwhelming despair. Even the topic of despair ends up treated as a source of wholesome resignation as Yuuri sings "setsubou, setsubou", in a beautifully tied together episode that both begins and ends with this light-hearted song.

What is life? What makes us happy? What makes us sad? What is motion? What is time? The young main characters Chito and Yuuri manage to touch on- and explore these profound questions with a surprising amount of depth, despite the limited knowledge these girls have to draw on. I experience a deep beauty as the spectrum of human thought and emotion is explored in this idealized post-apocalyptic world.

In summary...

Girls' Last Tour is post-apocalyptic coziness, wholesomeness and simple yet profound reflections. As I grow older I become more fond of pieces of art that communicate deep philosophical topics but without getting weighed down by complicated terminology and the code-ridden talk of old philosophers. That's why I find Chito's and Yuuri's musings on the emotions- and mechanics of life to be so refreshing and even eye-opening. These girls' knowledge of the world is primitive, yet they are able to tap into so much by feeling their surroundings and asking the right questions. The Socratic method in wonder-filled motion, coupled with an appreciation of the internal world of emotions and the external world of both the natural and the artificial.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Wow, I wasn't expecting that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts Shademp! The way it handles heavy topics with a sort of irreverent detachment was a big part of the appeal for me too. I'm happy you enjoyed.

I'll say, the series doesn't achieve its thematic resolution until the very end, so I highly reccomend reading the last two volumes of the manga as well if you have the time.

The way that the series indeed remains detached and innocent for so many episodes makes the emotions hit so much harder when things get serious in the two final episodes.

I felt genuine discomfort when the robot (controlled by Yuuri) caused all that destruction in episode 11. There was no longer space for detachment and innocence. The tone of the anime changed and it was well-deserved.

Yesterday marked 75 years since the atomic bomb ”Little Boy” was dropped on Hiroshima. As years go by I feel that the terror of atomic warfare is understood more and more intimately in my mind. You hear about the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki so many times in school but my first instance of truly grasping the horror was when I was 18 years old and watched a documentary on the topic. It showed footage of a baby scarred from atomic fire and it was in this moment that it viscerally dawned on me how all these photos and videos from victims of war are REAL. You may know intellectually that all these events happened but it may take years before the fact settles in on an emotional level, no matter how much horror that history books and documentaries may have already shown.

In the same vein, places and technology can feel like fiction on an emotional level even though you know intellectually that they are very much real. I have seen atomic warheads in photographs (and in fiction) depicted many times before. Because of the sudden shift in the tone of Girls’ Last Tour it meant so much more when they came across the (oddly placed) nuclear submarine and the atomic warheads stored within. For the first time I asked myself ”What would it feel like to actually stand right next to a nuclear missile?”

My immediate reaction was…aversion. Distaste. An urge to cry and to dismantle these monstrosities as quickly as possible. Although the words of J. Robert Oppenheimer has resonated with my soul on many occasions before, the sudden visualization of standing next to nuclear warheads made his words echo in my brain on yet another level of profoundness. I got another glimpse into how awful it would be to be involved in the creation of WMD.

Context of course matters a lot. It is possible that one day we will use nuclear bombs as propellants in space, as a means of achieving high velocities and travelling between star systems. The context of the technology thus changes from the terrors of war to that of inspiring space exploration.

There is also the never-ending question of whether the potential of nuclear war is a deterrent. Is it because of atomic bombs that we haven’t had another world war? If total nuclear disarmament was achieved, would it remove a deterrent that has prevented WW3 from breaking out? There are many strong opinions on the topic and all I can say is that I can’t disprove the notion of atomic bombs as deterrent. That alone makes me uncomfortable. True, nuclear weapons almost triggered WW3 during the Cuban Missile Crisis and there were other times when technological errors almost caused either side to unleash the nukes. But two things can be true and who knows what our world would have been like without these weapons.

If I had to choose I would (probably) still disarm every atomic bomb. One is a world that risks total annihilation of human civilization by a few human commands and the other is not such a world.

I'm sure Girls' Last Tour did not intend to evoke all these thoughts and emotions within me. Even so, that is precisely what it achieved as I watched those two final episodes in this era in time, in this time of my life.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
Don't worry, all the automatic systems are obsolete. Nuclear silos are offline more often than not.
Now, you should know that nuclear ICBMs exist and ICBMs are the norm, to the point that they have their counter-measures designed to destroy them. So an old fashioned full-blown nuclear warfare is not possible these days.

If I had to choose I would (probably) still disarm every atomic bomb.
I guess you're talking about warheads, tight? You can't really disarm them, it's better to just store them in tight containment.

Last edited:
oeBeq3O.jpg

I found it. I found my potato profile pic. This potato is me in the morning.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I like how there are apparently non-weebs who bother to check this thread occasionally. Lookin at you ER and Ry.

Flying potatoes

gtewzsmsqti51.gif
zq1xdoviqti51.gif

Top Bottom