Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Lex

Administrator
Who is playing this incredible nonsense?

It's 60-person battle royale meets Takeshi's Castle with fun little cute blobs and honestly it's just incredible fun. I'm not really that into modern multiplayer unless it's a franchise I like (Uncharted, Mass Effect, FF) but this is crazy fun. It was free on PS+ a few days ago (I don't know if it still is?) - definitely pick it up if so.

This is as good an intro as any if you're just curious:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
me!!!!!!

I was thinking of posting a community thing for this, because its seriously the perfect drinking game. I've been having an honest blast with this game. Its brought me so much joy that I might go to say that its my GOTY. Small beans!!!

Also putting this here because it's my current jam

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I was following this game a few months before release and managed to get into the beta.
I'm so happy it got as much popularity as it did cos I was massively excited!

It was free on PS Plus from it's release at the beginning of August but its sadly not anymore. Though if anyone wants to play I have it on PS4 and PC :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's fun for a little while, nice pick up and doodle kinda game, where winning is both unlikely and not really important. Unless you're one of those people who get super frustrated and want to win all the things and shit. It'll likely get ruined by tryhards etc. I wonder if you can actually get good at it and if newer / inexperienced players will be left far behind.

I do think they'll be able to make it a long lasting franchise if the popularity doesn't suddenly tank. Right now it does kinda feel like it's popular for a couple weeks before it dies slowly. They can do a ton with the formula though, they can add new levels fairly quickly (because the design / assets aren't too complicated), as well as new game modes.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Probably will never play it, but when I saw the trailer I instantly cried out "Takeshi's Castle" (well, in Spain it went by another name). And I'm just happy that I'm not the only one remembering that show. It was my favorite when I was a kid.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It delights me immensely to see that more of us than just myself are playing this. Either myself, my son, or my wife (or all three) are on this every day. It is The Shit -- fun, challenging, and completely absurd.

I wonder if you can actually get good at it ...

Absolutely. I've become pretty damn good, if I do say so myself (winning any of the standard first-round races is just an outcome I expect at this point), but there are those who have become so good it's ridiculous. Like, "has won 200-300+ crowns good."

I've only won 3. :wacky: But if I had one for even half the times I've made it to the final round, I'd probably have over 100 by now myself. =/

Anyway, some or all of you should feel free to join me for a few rounds sometime. PS4 handle: GHMorrow

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
If you plan to play it on PC. Please don't make the same mistake as I did.
Was on sale, bought it for cheap. Game was fun for awhile then It's hard to ignore its bad optimization, server issues, plus cheaters on top of that.

Still a fun game if you don't try hard though but I can see people will abandon this hype train if they don't address the problems. For steam at least.

Last edited:

Ghost X

Gotta agree with Game Theory on some things. The levels where you have more agency are more fun. Team levels suck. I enjoy watching the tail stealing game, so am surprised it was the least popular. I think they should develop more agency-focused levels though.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The levels where you have more agency are more fun. Team levels suck.
This is absolutely true. The only certain exception (for me) is Fall Ball. That one can be a lot of fun, and is definitely more so than at least a couple of the solo modes (i.e. Door Dash and Block Party).

I would also say that of the possible fourth-round options, I would much rather Fall Ball get selected than Tip Toe, despite that being a solo game. Tip Toe is frustrating because, as a late-session race, the number of players who can qualify is low, so it's unforgiving towards mistakes -- which it requires you to make in order to find the correct path. :wacky:

Tip Toe is primarily luck-based, I guess is what I'm saying. The only ways in which you get more "skillful" at it is recognizing that:

- You never have to take a turn away from the finish line to find the safe path; in other words you will never have to go "backwards" to go forward

- if you're on the third row from the finish line and the path of the solid tiles takes a turn towards the finish line, then there's a 100 percent chance the next two tiles are safe

It just really sucks to get this game mode when you're that close to the final, because chances are you're getting eliminated. =\

Jinxed and Hoopsie Daisy are two other team games I can say I don't completely despise, but I would much rather get Fall Ball, especially if we're talking fourth-round options (Hoopsie Daisy occasionally gets selected as the fourth round).

Jump Club is another possibility for the fourth round, and this would be my top choice -- but if I understand correctly, getting Jump Club as your fourth round means you won't get Jump Showdown for your final round, and it's my definite preference for the final. So the ideal sequence is probably Fall Ball for the fourth round followed by Jump Showdown as the final.

Of course, on the rare occasion, if eliminations have gone slowly (typically because mostly everyone survived a round of Perfect Match or Block Party as the second and/or third round), you might get saddled with a round 5 that is basically a round 4.5. :wacky:

I enjoy watching the tail stealing game, so am surprised it was the least popular.

Once you play it you will understand: the tail games, in all their forms (solo, team, and especially as the final) suck a whole fucking watermelon. The milliseconds of lag that unavoidably exist with the server trying to reconcile what's on the screen of various players adds up to a lot of frustration for those without the tail and those with it.

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
Yea Tail Tag is my 2nd least favorite because everyone runs at the same speed and lack of communication. It's so annoying chasing gooses
Team game is fun when you play with friends. Rock and roll is the kind of game that you need voice chat but generally I still like team levels.

Hex-a-gone is my least favorite because I've never won on this map ?.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Oh, I forgot about Rock 'N' Roll! Yes, I do like that team game. It's another fourth-round possibility too. I'd still rather get Fall Ball, but I don't get mad about Rock 'N' Roll as long as I have a team that works together (instead of getting idiots who run for the goal at the start and just try to disrupt the other teams' boulders without even first making sure their own is in a position to get to the goal if they do successfully slow down another team's ball ...).

Rock 'N' Roll is home to a rather insane glitch, though, in that if the second team to get its ball into the goal does so at precisely the same moment as the third team, the team who already made it will shift from "Qualified" to "Eliminated," even if their boulder has already been in the goal for over a minute. :wacky:

Lex

Administrator
the way people grab me in this game invokes my indignance at real life breaches of space

Speaking of this, it's a really good tactic in Fall Ball. When my team starts to lose/ give up, I like to disrupt random players from the other team who are trying to hit the ball. Intensely satisfying.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
There are definitely circumstances in which grabbing is acceptable (team games, mostly), but the jerkholes who stand at the finish line on Slime Climb trying to push people who actually made it back towards the slime should legit take one IRL kick to the nuts for every such attempt.

Ghost X

Managed to actually play this last night. A lot harder to control than what pro-gamers would have had me believe. Whodathunkit. Almost got first after about 4 tries though... got fifth instead :awesome:. Was my first try of Hex-a-gone, and it took me a few layers to correctly perform the jumping strategy, but by then it was too late :P.

Top Bottom