Final Fantasy XVI

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Wait a minute, is Joshua the main villain!?!?
Yes, I think he's the villain. And I don't think he's all that cool or imposing, especially when you think of this as the series that brought Kefka and Sephiroth into being. He's underwhelming in a similar way that Ardyn is.

I know it's still too early to tell, but I think I like VIIR's combat more than what's on display here.
I concur.

....Not to flood the thread with too many critical comments, I apologize about that, aha. I really am still curious and will still play it.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The fashion and architecture on display is to my taste, it’s got an Amano/FFIX vibe, and the chocobos don’t look like ass. Seeing one of the mains (THE main?) with a white chocobo is just lovely.

(I’m just watching this over and over thank god for wireless headphones at work lolol)

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
OMG!!!!! The director of The Last Remanent is the director of this!!!! And Yoshida is producer!!!! Yey!!!!

The Last Remnent is one of my favorite non-FF SE games. I really liked the story and world of that one and it's cool to see that director getting to do a proper FF game. Really want to see the rest of the production team but it's good seeing some of the new SE blood getting to work on mainline titles.

Ite

AKA
Ite
i'm going to level with you all, i could not tell what the combat was like from watching the trailer except that i guess there's no menu. unless they just hid the hud for the trailer

It looks like shortcutsville, and yeah no HUD to speak of. From what I can tell, ppl attune to Icons (eidolons) and from them get a move set — you saw the main guy whap ppl with a Phoenix wing. Maybe that’s what “dominant” means.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Unless the soldiers at the beginning were the other party members, I wonder if they will try to implement multiplayer and have the game be a hybrid of both on and offline. The game does seem to be pretty focused on the MC himself, so I wonder if it will be like FFXI's Trust system where you can recruit mercenaries to join you on your quest or bring in real friends to play with you at anytime. It would be the closest to an action-based Final Fantasy Tactics system!

The story seems to be pretty Matsuno-like though. I hope to god he is writing this.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
The people transforming into eikons (ie summons) kinda reminds me of FF Tactics and the Lucavi. Hope even if there aren't other permanent party members that there will be some form of character switching to other playable characters.

Interesting that Phoenix and Ifrit are the main Amano illustration subject for FFXVI, have any franchise summons been a logo illustration before?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Eikons is one of the names the Primals have in FFXIV. Actually, mothercrystal, eikons... heh... lots of FFXIV terminology thrown around here.

It feels like this is a "rage against the gods" kind of story with the twist that some of the people fighting the gods are like... hosts to them. And that's got some crazy implications for them, like other people using them for things.

I wouldn't be surprised if Matsuno was working on this in some way. He's been invited to write major side-stories for FFXIV twice and he and the FFXIV team have a lot of respect for each other. Which... Hiroshi Takai was also on at one point. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of FFXIV dev names attached to this... given that the same business division is working on both games.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I think I'm getting over the fact that this isn't the FF that I was hoping for, and more just looking at what it has to offer. (will probably hop back-and-forth on that for a bit though)

The story's focus on summons is really intriguing and some of the environments look gorgeous. A few of the outfits are cool, and I like the white Chocobo. Here's also hoping for an interesting party system.

Ite

AKA
Ite
“Shiva’s Dominant” or “The Shiva’s Dominant” is a girl — the target of our godkiller hero. So yep, sounds like Summoners are kind of like Lucavi, or else Summoners can empower others with those moves (I also saw the hero boffing ppl with spectral fists — Titan? More evidence that you attune to an esper for your fight). I also saw him spamming fire on that Marlboro like freaking Link, so yeah this might be a completely HUD-less combat system... holy shmloley, I didn’t think they’d mix things up in terms of removing hit points.

“Eikons”? Oh for heaven’s sake.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Wow!! I love that we're back to a medieval style FF its been a long time since we've had one (FFXI and FFXIV non withstanding)

Looks like an interesting story and it looks like Summons play quite a big part of that.

I am quite optimistic based on the setting of the world, and what i've seen of the trailer, I rather like it

Early days though, let's hope it doesn't suffer XVs development hell.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I think I'm getting over the fact that this isn't the FF that I was hoping for, and more just looking at what it has to offer. (will probably hop back-and-forth on that for a bit though)

The story's focus on summons is really intriguing and some of the environments look gorgeous. A few of the outfits are cool, and I like the white Chocobo. Here's also hoping for an interesting party system.
And dat logo, so classy. Love the colors.

Top Bottom