Faith v. 3.0 (Cloti Club)

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Last edited:

Phantasia

Pro Adventurer
Will this new information about our favorite couple finally, finally, FINALLY squash the LTD?

I really hope so. I am exhausted.

It should at least at a minimum put to rest a lot of misinformation bad translations that caused the LTD in the first place. Or it could get worse. *shrug*

After 24 years, I don't think so. People just not let go.

Katrak

>.>
There's a lot of mental gymnastics that goes on in certain sectors of the LTD. It doesn't matter what becomes canon, they'll always cry foul. The remake can make Cloti 100% undisputed fact as a canon, and there will still be people to say it's open to player interpretation, or they'll call it a retcon and not the "true" story, and cling to the OG as proof of their ship. As Phantasia says, it's been 24 years. People will see what they want to see at this point, and deny deny deny whatever sinks their ship.

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
I always thought it was a strange mix of friendship and more romantic feelings, the fact that the devs already confirmed earlier that Cloud was struggling against his awkward self to comfort Tifa because he wanted to do what Barret was able to is crucial. He wants to be there for her and if a friend like Barret can give emotional support showing physical affection, why wouldn't he do the same?

Also, he was quiet for most of the scene, and it can be also because of he being a dumbass AND because he already told her that he was willing to listen to her if she needed to talk. The scenography, on the other side, I interpreted it as an attempt to show that it wasn't only a cutscene where Cloud was just a friendly shoulder to cry on.

@Eerie with that info about their mothers, Nojima just screwed what I see as a recurrent Clerith point: Cloud's mom asking him to find an older woman that treats him like a silly goose.
It's actually very simple you just have to compare Barret and Cloud's hugs. The Barret one is a platonic hug, show it to any normal person who doesn't even know the context of the scene and I promise you most people would say it's platonic, because the way it's framed and how both acted you can tell that there is nothing sexual between them or any lingering touch etc. Now show them the Cloud and Tifa scene. I PROMISE you, 99% of people would say it's romantic, from the way it's shot to the music to Clouds expressions to him actually losing himself so much in their embrace that he "squeezes" her to hard like only our weird ass fandom would see that shit and be like "just two buddies hugging it out"

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
It should at least at a minimum put to rest a lot of misinformation bad translations that caused the LTD in the first place. Or it could get worse. *shrug*

I think all this new info will at least wipe out a bunch of mischaracterisations, especially those about Tifa, that came out from the dodgy translations in the past. It's undeniable now that Tifa was never a childhood bully, she never ignored Cloud, and the promise between them was never about her being a damsel in distress.

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
Glad to see some of the old people back! I too had to reset my password lol
Where is @JT77fp !
Shadowfox said:
I think all this new info will at least wipe out a bunch of mischaracterisations, especially those about Tifa, that came out from the dodgy translations in the past. It's undeniable now that Tifa was never a childhood bully, she never ignored Cloud, and the promise between them was never about her being a damsel in distress.

I think this is pretty much why I'm so happy to have these short stories. After so many years of following this story since childhood, with mistranslations / misinterpretations / differing opinions, I was starting to question my own ability to grasp plot points. I had to ask myself, "Is my comprehension that bad to not be able to see the C/A here?" :lol:
It then feels nice to be validated that my take on the story is in line with the creator's intent. And I kinda like that absolutely none of this information (unlike CC/LO) changes the plot in the OG / Remake. You can choose to accept it or not, but if you do, it lends to the character motivations. If you don't, the main story can chug on

Phantasia said:
After 24 years, I don't think so. People just not let go.
I'm already seeing comments on reddit - the cries of retcon / reads like a bad fanfic / boring cliche bland. Just like when Crisis Core came out - terrible writing, every Cloud moment was given to Zack / Zack is bland / Aerith's characterization is off

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer

I really enjoyed looking at the deeper emotional side of their relationship that at first wasn't really clear, but with all the added information that we are getting in recent times really allows fans of the Cloud X Tifa pairing to really understand what makes Cloud and Tifa not only as a couple but as individuals "tick".

Reading about their emotional ties not only with each other but how they both share a tragic past are much deeper than what was previously thought really makes me happy.

villains23

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
v
I like how the novel respects a lot of the elements from their childhood relationship in the OG.

There is still distance between the two of them. They get nervous around one another. Tifa felt that they drifted apart after her mom died. Cloud still has his issues with social anxiety. Tifa only finds out that Cloud was a normal boy during their date at the water tower, which shows that she didn't know him that well before that. Tifa admired Cloud's beauty and her mom thought he was probably more charming than Sephiroth, and in the OG Tifa told Cloud that she thought he was cute during the lifestream scene.

Again, I just like how it respects the relationship that they had in the OG. It shows that there was distance between the both of them and it was that distance which allowed their interests towards one another to grow.

Here are some fun translations if anyone's interested from twitter.com/hayashinagisa
Cloud asks Tifa out to the water tower: https://fusetter.com/tw/di7EiFWc#all
Tifa's reaction after Cloud asks her out: https://fusetter.com/tw/2Y1ABoTG#all
Tifa's thoughts about Cloud: https://fusetter.com/tw/NqZjgpcA#all

Eerie

Fire and Blood
There's a lot of mental gymnastics that goes on in certain sectors of the LTD. It doesn't matter what becomes canon, they'll always cry foul. The remake can make Cloti 100% undisputed fact as a canon, and there will still be people to say it's open to player interpretation, or they'll call it a retcon and not the "true" story, and cling to the OG as proof of their ship. As Phantasia says, it's been 24 years. People will see what they want to see at this point, and deny deny deny whatever sinks their ship.

I've even seen clotis lately who think there is no real answer to the LT and it makes me wonder what the hell are all those quotes. Do people really look at what SE did with cloti? They're the most developped pair but they are denied the canonicity they have been given *many times* at this point just because of the LTD? I think it's really bad when you look at it like this. And clearly Nojima is out to hunt those kind of thoughts in Remake.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Well, I would say that Nojima clearly favours cloti and zerith. It's really interesting because you can see it in his writing, he intertwines the characters of both ships as much as he can to give them a solid foundation - that's something he only did for those two ships in FFVII Compilation.

Also, seeing how this book answers all the attacks thrown at Tifa, my guess is that he did see them and wanted to answer them to protect Tifa just like he did in CC with Zack's proposition of a date to Aerith to protect Aerith from the attack of lacking thoughtfulness when she proposed that date to Cloud.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
That's the thing though, this book only just came out. There was a good 24 years where it didn't exist. So despite the overwhelming evidence it presents, they can just call it all retcons and dismiss the whole thing as Nojima pandering to the Clotis to sell books. They'll say he's betraying his original vision because he's greedy and the rally their fellow Cleriths together to write their own Clerith Novel that's totally what Nojima originally intended.

All of that is what happened in AoT anyway. I'd like to think FF7 fans have more chill.

Shadowfox

It's kind of amusing that this book really doesn't beat around the bush. In the past, so much of the story was all about subtlety, the ol' "the answers are all there if you pay attention" type of approach. But after 24 years and having to endure so many bad takes caused by either inattention or insistence that that very subtlety means that there is no actual answer, I wonder if the creators finally decided to just hit everyone over the head with the canon hammer.

JT77fp

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Hi @Katrak, I definitely remember you from long ago! I used to have the username Frying Pan on various forums. I don't post much now, rather just keep an eye on the interesting things that pop up from time to time in the FF world.

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
@Shadowfox Nojima did warn before Remake was released that with the new visuals, everything would be more explicit, that less would be left to the imagination we had to use with the OG. I think they have decided, since the new tech doesn't allow for so much subtlety, to just use that to their advantage and hammer down what truly happens. So some people are going to be comforted in their vision of FFVII, others will cry retcon, with a mix in between :D

Shadowfox

@Shadowfox Nojima did warn before Remake was released that with the new visuals, everything would be more explicit, that less would be left to the imagination we had to use with the OG. I think they have decided, since the new tech doesn't allow for so much subtlety, to just use that to their advantage and hammer down what truly happens. So some people are going to be comforted in their vision of FFVII, others will cry retcon, with a mix in between :D

From reading the various reactions to the new novel, it does seem like some members of the FF7 fandom are going through a version of the grieving process.

Anyway, I guess the creators will keep on making things explicit for the rest of the remake? I'm kinda hoping that they do, so that the perplexing interpretations of Cloud behaving like a selfish, womanising asshole to Tifa during COT and ACC can also be done away with.

Phantasia

Pro Adventurer
I'm already seeing comments on reddit - the cries of retcon / reads like a bad fanfic / boring cliche bland. Just like when Crisis Core came out - terrible writing, every Cloud moment was given to Zack / Zack is bland / Aerith's characterization is off

I've seen those comments too. It baffles me how persistent people can be, deliberately rejecting any kind of new information, holding onto their already established belief system.

If Attack on Titan taught me anything about shipping wars, this is when people start screaming "RETCON!" and accusing Nojima of being biased.

Looks like we went to the same school.

It's kind of amusing that this book really doesn't beat around the bush.

Neither does the game, especially after disc 1, yet here we are.

Top Bottom