• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII REMAKE Official MODS Thread

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm a bit skeptical about this.

The modder doesn't seem to read/speak Japanese. Instead, they've opted to run the game script through a few translation tools like DeepL, then give select lines to an experienced Japanese speaker for review. I find calling this method a "faithful translation" to be problematic.

Literal sure, but too much of each character's personality will be lost through the translation tools to be called "faithful", in my opinion.

I also feel that there's a growing distrust of translators in the gaming landscape and the wording here will do nothing to calm that battle.

wow. Can you give us any sense of what the wild and mysterious scenes are saying from this?

It's only the first chapter so far.

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Literal sure, but too much of each character's personality will be lost through the translation tools to be called "faithful", in my opinion.
I feel like the localization doesn’t get enough credit in this regard, although there are some details I wish weren’t lost in translation, I feel like the spirit of each character’s personality was handled so well that I would almost forget this is a Japanese property. Probably one of the more natural-sounding scripts I’ve ever heard from something translated from Japanese to English.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
I'm a strong believer in localization over transliteration. That said, it would be nice if the game had real subtitles (vs dubtitles) if only for comparison purposes.
You meant “translation” and not transliteration. But yes, I agree. I really want to see these, cuz I believe some nuances were lost in translation, despite the stellar effort.

LegendarySaiyan

AKA: SalihGuclu
At least, someone took their time and energy and actually tried to make a direct subtitle from the Japanese dubs. IT is a PROJECT after all.

I will happily keep recommending and posting others work or projects even if they are not perfect, these are just mods made by simple gamers/players for others to enjoy. Just appreciate their effort.

ForceStealer: Yeah, a real non localized translation would have been nice. Check out TurquoiseHammer's translations, closest you will get :D

Last edited:

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
Fantasy Raider at it again, this hair mod is actually pretty slick! Best one yet (I still like his Remake haircut but this one looks very great)

This just proves that Nomura did a better job with Cloud’s design the second time around lol

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The bodies are a nice touch on this one. If the particle emitter issue is ever addressed, this will be another must-have from FantasyRaider.

I’m really curious as to how he put the bodies there. I feel like this is a significant step in environmental hacking, cause I haven’t seen any other mod add assets to a level. His church swap mod is the only other thing I can think of and it’s a whole asset replacer.

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I think the placement of the bodies in relation to the blood might be something that some people overlook in recalling this scene. If it’s supposed to be the blood of dead Shinra employees, then the area surrounding some of those bodies themselves probably shouldn’t look so clean.

Even the OG is like this. The blood trail is a lot messier in the room where Jenova was kept and the first few bodies are placed in a way that implies that they’re the source of the blood:
19C2715B-EF7C-4E36-9CBB-1324D29CA0BF.jpeg

But outside of that, the lack of blood on the floor immediately around the bodies kind of changed the effect for me from bloody massacre to feeling more like I was following a wounded animal spilling blood. Still creepy, but not quite the massacre I’d expect from how some people remember it.
3454F67E-A958-4E56-B06A-2FEEDD6481B1.jpeg
B8925723-4E35-4B8A-9B5E-56C628E71C9A.jpeg

The design of the blood itself in the remake still looks too much like a consistent straight trail leaking from a singular source, so changing from a glowing purple to red will only do so much for me unless if they can add a lot more bodies strewn directly along the trail.

Top Bottom