• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Which version of FFVII to re-play

EzzyDzzy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
So, I've recently rediscovered my love for the final fantasy series. I've been slowly working my way through the series starting from the 1st instalment.

Yesterday I finish FFVI, so I am pretty excited because it's time to re-play FFVII, which in my opinion is the best of the series (I must admit, I've only played up to FFX to date). I guess the reason its my favourite is because it was the first FF I every played. I was fortunate to get a copy on the ps1 for my 13th birthday back when it originally released in 1997 - that was a great winter!

Anyway, the reason for this post is to ask for peoples opinions of what version/ platform I should re-play it on. I've been playing all the other FF games on a phone which isn't the best way to experience the games, so I don't really want to play it on a phone. I've still got my original ps1 version I got all those years ago, but sadly my ps1 died a long time ago - that said I am considering getting another one, but sourcing an old compatible tv may be a pain? I've also got a pc version on steam, and the ps4 version in my libraries.

So, which one should I go for? I think I already know the answer............

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Steam is probably the most accessible imo. You could probably wait for a FF bundle and get a few of the games for a decent price.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
We are launching a ticket-based draw shortly whereby you can win a Playstation console and a mint original copy of the game to mark the tenth birthday of thelifestream.net. I mean if you fancy a punt and don't mind waiting until September for the draw that is.....

EzzyDzzy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
We are launching a ticket-based draw shortly whereby you can win a Playstation console and a mint original copy of the game to mark the tenth birthday of thelifestream.net. I mean if you fancy a punt and don't mind waiting until September for the draw that is.....

Nice! Will definitely buy a ticket

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I recommend playing the original PS1 version in some way. In the PC/Steam/smartphone/PS4 release, battles are capped to 15fps. To describe them as "slideshows" is not an understatement. In the PS1 version, battle menus are 60fps and camera movement is 30fps. While it may seem like fps is no big deal in a turn-based rpg, having a higher frame rate allows for a more fluid visual experience. Remember, this was Square's first 3D release and they had a lot of fun panning the camera around the battlefield during spell animations. Cutting that frame rate in half is unfortunate. Likewise, since the battle menu fps takes a huge hit, nailing "Yeah!"s during Tifa's limit break is significantly more difficult in 15fps as opposed to 60fps. Mods do exist on PC/Steam to fix this issue, but they also cause a number of other animation errors.

The PC/Steam/smartphone/PS4 release also has a music bug that causes the wrong background track to play during certain story events. The biggest offender being that Mako Reactor plays instead of The Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII when Cloud throws Sephiroth into the Lifestream. This error pains me to this day.

If I were to play FFVII today, I'd go with emulating the PS1 version with a patch to fix the MDef bug.

Lex

Administrator
^

Mods do exist on PC/Steam to fix this issue, but they also cause a number of other animation errors.

The PC/Steam/smartphone/PS4 release also has a music bug that causes the wrong background track to play during certain story events. The biggest offender being that Mako Reactor plays instead of The Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII when Cloud throws Sephiroth into the Lifestream. This error pains me to this day.

I don't remember it happening in the PS4 version but I could easily be wrong. Some adjustments were made from the PC version, but very few.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
There's a 60fps mods for the PC version :monster:

Yep. However, like I said the 60fps mod for Steam/PC causes some minor graphical errors. Examples would be duplicate numbers during status effects or flickering summon animations.

I don't remember it happening in the PS4 version but I could easily be wrong. Some adjustments were made from the PC version, but very few.

The PS4 version didn't fix the music bug, espically not in the scene I pointed out. I know because I recorded the scene with my PS4 and edited the correct track back in with SHAREfactory. Here it is.

Haha, admittively I'm very picky about version differences. If what I brought up sounds insignificant then just play whatever version works best for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Lex

Administrator
Oh no I'm super picky about that one aswell, I probably posted about it in the thread when the PS4 version came out. That scene in particular the music is sooooo important to get right. I'm actually amazed I don't remember it.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage

This is like bonking someone and they say someone else's name. It's like where do you even go from that? :closedmonster:

Top Bottom