• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I'm not sure I recall what you mean.

When Cloud is hit with a Geostigma attack when putting the Buster Sword back up on Zackdeath Mountain, he recalls a line from Sephiroth "Don't pretend you're sad, why tremble with anger that's not even there? Face it Cloud, all you are is an empty puppet." This is an alternative translation of his monologue after Aerith's death, incorporating the part attributed to Jenova.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Ever since Dissidia Duodecim, I can't help but hold onto this idea of JENOVA vs Tifa in Cloud's mindscape. For those who haven't touched Dissidia or it's .5 version, the storylines usually pair a hero and villain in a VERY abstracted version of their original game's conflict. For some reason Tifa has conflict not only with Sephiroth, but also with Ultimecia. That's been very curious to me all these years later.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
What are you confused about?
idk if the memories were made up by cloud himself, were injected or were by zack telling him stories. then i saw another person say they interpreted how cloud 2.0 came to be which told me that there really wasn't any explicit "this is what happened" showing of what happened so now i'll just wait for the RM :monster:

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Roger said:
Zackdeath Mountain

This now canon. :lol:

T@ctic said:
idk if the memories were made up by cloud himself, were injected, or were by zack telling him stories. then i saw another person say they interpreted how cloud 2.0 came to be which told me that there really wasn't any explicit "this is what happened" showing of what happened so now i'll just wait for the RM :monster:

The thing is, everybody interpreted this differently and so did the different parts of the Compilation, so you could argue there is no right or wrong answer because it's so variable. This is why we all have headcanons. :monster: Some of Cloud's memories are definitely Zack's, we know this from the OG. Some of the experiences he shared with Tifa are definitely inaccurate in his recollection, and we know this from when they fell into the lifestream. It's why the discussion about Jenova has been so interesting, we know her cells and mako were used in SOLDIER enhancements, but beyond the Reunion and Ifalna's recollections, we don't definitively know how much she was responsible for. Did she give Cloud bullshit memories? Dunno but it's an interesting idea, even if it doesn't sit with my headcanon. :wacky:

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Open world is fine for where it makes sense - and to be honest, it actually did not in XV considering the road trip theme they were going for. A road trip to me implies a linear journey. Like going from NY to LA for example.
In FFXV you're driving around in circles in Insomnia's backyard for a dozen chapters. It feels like you're never moving forward, just hanging out in the vicinity of your journey's starting point all the time until you go to Altissia.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I could accept semi-open world elements. Basically, for every canonical story moment, throw in two or three sidetowns or dungeons that can expand the lore or just allow the player to extend their time between story beats. But the plot and world design doesn't really lend itself to a true open world experience.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
Open world is fine for where it makes sense - and to be honest, it actually did not in XV considering the road trip theme they were going for. A road trip to me implies a linear journey. Like going from NY to LA for example.
In FFXV you're driving around in circles in Insomnia's backyard for a dozen chapters. It feels like you're never moving forward, just hanging out in the vicinity of your journey's starting point all the time until you go to Altissia.
oh gross. i wouldn't want to do that.

I could accept semi-open world elements. Basically, for every canonical story moment, throw in two or three sidetowns or dungeons that can expand the lore or just allow the player to extend their time between story beats. But the plot and world design doesn't really lend itself to a true open world experience.
wouldn't they be able to take advantage of the open world idea when you finally leave midgar in disc 1?

Reactions: Ite

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Technically yes, in the way people use the term now though, VII would only really qualify once you get the Tiny Bronco. Until then there was really only one option. (2 if you count going backwards).

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
An open world can work, but I've seen it backfire too, it's not automatically a good thing. Beyond the scale of a city, it's something to do only if you can do it right.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
An open world can work, but I've seen it backfire too, it's not automatically a good thing. Beyond the scale of a city, it's something to do only if you can do it right.

If you scale up what they had in FFXII, put more stuff in it, and have seamless area transitions, what you get is open world. They shouldn't shy away from where they naturally headed.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Technically yes, in the way people use the term now though, VII would only really qualify once you get the Tiny Bronco. Until then there was really only one option. (2 if you count going backwards).

Yuffie, Fort Condor, and Gongaga can all occur before the Bronco. CHECKMATE

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Open world basically lives and dies for each person according to the variety of activities the gamer can pursue. The problem for me is that since XII, the majority of side content that is 'open' has kind of been reduced to "Chase X monster to X Location" and "Collect XX items." and...Fishing. For some people, like MMO enthustiasts, that seems to be enough. For me, that tends to become monotonous very quickly.

So either way, Square seriously needs up their mini-game quality if they want to keep my interest across two or more games, or I may seriously end up watching the entire thing on youtube like a TV series.

Mind you Nomura has been showing a lot of promise with the variety of side-content in Kingdom Hearts, so hopefully he brings an equal amount of creativity to Final Fantasy VII R.

This is a small thing, but when we're wandering around the FFVII open world, I would like to see cities and towns in the distance. They don't have to be places you can visit. It would resolve the issue of this world having such an advanced economy (in some ways) with only one actual city (and only one beach resort, only one ski resort, only two railway lines etc....) The lack of anything approximating a town in the so-called 'town' of Galden Quay in FFXV really annoyed me. Again, you don't have to visit it; it can simply become part of the background.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
This is a small thing, but when we're wandering around the FFVII open world, I would like to see cities and towns in the distance. They don't have to be places you can visit. It would resolve the issue of this world having such an advanced economy (in some ways) with only one actual city (and only one beach resort, only one ski resort, only two railway lines etc....) The lack of anything approximating a town in the so-called 'town' of Galden Quay in FFXV really annoyed me. Again, you don't have to visit it; it can simply become part of the background.

Hub worlds, ironically, are usually more immersive in this way. “It’s there, you’re just not going there” is a perfectly acceptable thing for a video game to say, I don’t understand why it’s out of fashion, but I’m no producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom