• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

New Ghostbusters film

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I'll be the oddman out: I hate the original movies. I like the concept, but the characters are colossal assholes that I can't root for at all. Entitled white academic dudes , one of which is a massively creepy asshole towards women. The others don't have any charisma, and it lampshades a lot of other crap too.

I'll pass if that's what this legacy-sequel is aiming to model itself on.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
So going by your comments you dislike any movie with people who are smart and white?
Also are you missing the fact that Winston isnt white or an academic?

You left out the "Entitled" bit.

And Winston is such a non-entity that he barely counts as a character, which is another major flaw of the film to be frank. Why focus on the only actually funny and relatable character when you've got three white dues to focus on, right? It's aged poorly from it's time.

Also these guy's aren't smart. Eagon is highly intelegent and probably the only character I can forgive, but even he's a grifter and most of his 'joke' moments fall flat for me. Stantz is just a collosal super nerd with no real purpose and no social awareness. Venkman is an absolute fraud, and the reason they got kicked out (Rightly so), and a womanizer that Dayna should have kept the door shut on. Who brings tranquilizers on a date? : /

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Totally your interpretation of the film there mate. I just find it ridiculous to state your dislike of a film is based on the fact they are old, apparently entitled (besides all being broke asf) and white.
Eagon is the brains and understands the science behind the technology.
Ray is a tech genius who puts the theory into practice.
Venkman is their people person, he himself knows he is a fraud but capitalises on the fact until ghosts are a proven fact. Sure he's a womaniser but let's be frank so are numerous thousands of other male leads across numerous films be they white, black, Asian or any other ethnicity.
Finally Winston has zero involvement with the paranormal scene right up until being hired, he had no prep whatsoever except looking for a job and essentially went from normal Joe to ghostbusting hero in a very short period of time so once again his character is hardly marginalised.

Just out of curiousity but do you like ANY film with a primarily white cast?

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I'll be the oddman out: I hate the original movies. I like the concept, but the characters are colossal assholes that I can't root for at all. Entitled white academic dudes , one of which is a massively creepy asshole towards women. The others don't have any charisma, and it lampshades a lot of other crap too.

I'll pass if that's what this legacy-sequel is aiming to model itself on.

I never saw Venkman as an asshole towards women. Creepy, probably, but an asshole, not. He just likes the ladies. The reboot on the other hand, most of the men are assholes towards the female ghostbusters. Steve Higgins birdflipping multiple times was very cringeworthy.

You left out the "Entitled" bit.

And Winston is such a non-entity that he barely counts as a character, which is another major flaw of the film to be frank. Why focus on the only actually funny and relatable character when you've got three white dues to focus on, right? It's aged poorly from it's time.

Also these guy's aren't smart. Eagon is highly intelegent and probably the only character I can forgive, but even he's a grifter and most of his 'joke' moments fall flat for me. Stantz is just a collosal super nerd with no real purpose and no social awareness. Venkman is an absolute fraud, and the reason they got kicked out (Rightly so), and a womanizer that Dayna should have kept the door shut on. Who brings tranquilizers on a date? : /

Winston is the everyman, our point of view, thrusted himself into a crazy job if it has a steady paycheck. A character in the film that was supposed to be there in the beginning, but Eddie Murphy wanted to do Beverly Hills Cop instead.

They are smart, but the funny thing is that some of the things in what they do is not very smart at all.
Umm, Dana was possessed by the Gate Keeper. Even if Venkman didn't know at the time, it was smart of him to bring tranquilizers for protection.

Totally your interpretation of the film there mate. I just find it ridiculous to state your dislike of a film is based on the fact they are old, apparently entitled (besides all being broke asf) and white.
Eagon is the brains and understands the science behind the technology.
Ray is a tech genius who puts the theory into practice.
Venkman is their people person, he himself knows he is a fraud but capitalises on the fact until ghosts are a proven fact. Sure he's a womaniser but let's be frank so are numerous thousands of other male leads across numerous films be they white, black, Asian or any other ethnicity.
Finally Winston has zero involvement with the paranormal scene right up until being hired, he had no prep whatsoever except looking for a job and essentially went from normal Joe to ghostbusting hero in a very short period of time so once again his character is hardly marginalised.

Just out of curiousity but do you like ANY film with a primarily white cast?

It's been said that Egon is the brains, Ray is the heart, Venkman is the mouth, and Winston is the muscle. I think it's fun to see them bounce off each other, but I guess others don't see it that way.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
While I'm not a Ghost Busters fan, I have seen both movies when I was a kid with my mother who loves them. Think the only thing funny about the first film was the giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man accidentally summoned. Though the reboot was a terrible idea. Honestly thought when they did that the original franchise was over, especially since the death of...what's-his-name that I can't remember.

Another thing, I heard a rumor that three of the surviving members-including Bill Murry-will return for this installment for 2020. Though the way how movies go these days, I bet this movie will be out by 2022, or 2021 at the earliest if we're lucky.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
While I'm not a Ghost Busters fan, I have seen both movies when I was a kid with my mother who loves them. Think the only thing funny about the first film was the giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man accidentally summoned. Though the reboot was a terrible idea. Honestly thought when they did that the original franchise was over, especially since the death of...what's-his-name that I can't remember.

Another thing, I heard a rumor that three of the surviving members-including Bill Murry-will return for this installment for 2020. Though the way how movies go these days, I bet this movie will be out by 2022, or 2021 at the earliest if we're lucky.

Your mother has good taste in movies. The original film focused on the story than the comedy. The actors didn't try to outdo each other in being funny all the time, and the dialogue came naturally and got to the point. The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was great, unlike the reboot's version of using the Ghostbusters logo; then shooting him in the crotch. I'll admit the only thing that GB2016 did that at least made me smirk was the weak proton stream test where Kate McKinnon goes "wah-wah". Everything else I've seen was a mess.

Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd tried to get Bill Murray to do another Ghostbusters in the 90s, but he didn't want to do it anymore. Sony hack leaks revealed e-mails saying that if Bill refused to do a cameo in the reboot, the studio would sue him. We'll see what happens this time around. Hopefully Jason Reitman was/is able to persuade him. Kevin Smith talked to Jason on his smodcast a couple months ago before the announcement, and said from the details he was able to get out of him should make lots of folks happy.

The untitled Ghostbusters 3 film has gotten a July 10, 2020 release date.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I like Akroyd and Murray, but never really found Ghostbusters anything special. Cool premise, but but I think there are a collection of other films from that era that do the things Ghost Busters for me better than Ghost Busters ever did.

The newest film with the all female cast was definitely... not good. It honestly felt like the man-baby, anti-feminist response was something the marketing team chose to focus on so as to try and get audiences receptive to the script. The problem being, the script wasn`t particularly clever, or very funny. It felt like it was written in response to an imaginary backlash of ``female Ghostbuster team.`` I`m sure there was a huge portion of the fanbase that was dismissive of a female-Ghostbusters. Choosing to incorporate that voice into the plot was not the best choice at the end of the day. It`s not the worst idea, but the writers weren`t able to handle the subject matter with a good sense of humour. The result was cringey and hard to watch. Which... sucks, because itinadvertently ends up giving a platform for those whiny man-babies to say I told you so. Even more so if this new film succeeds.

I still feel really bad for Leslie Jones, who definitely got the worst deal out of all this.

If they`re gonna do anything with this franchise, they should revive the cartoon or video game /opinion :monster:

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I like Akroyd and Murray, but never really found Ghostbusters anything special. Cool premise, but but I think there are a collection of other films from that era that do the things Ghost Busters for me better than Ghost Busters ever did.

Movies that were similar to Ghostbusters or 80s movies in general? There were definitely a lot of great movies during that time; really hard to pick favorites. Back to the Future and Ghostbusters are like 1 2 for me.

The newest film with the all female cast was definitely... not good. It honestly felt like the man-baby, anti-feminist response was something the marketing team chose to focus on so as to try and get audiences receptive to the script. The problem being, the script wasn`t particularly clever, or very funny. It felt like it was written in response to an imaginary backlash of ``female Ghostbuster team.`` I`m sure there was a huge portion of the fanbase that was dismissive of a female-Ghostbusters. Choosing to incorporate that voice into the plot was not the best choice at the end of the day. It`s not the worst idea, but the writers weren`t able to handle the subject matter with a good sense of humour. The result was cringey and hard to watch. Which... sucks, because itinadvertently ends up giving a platform for those whiny man-babies to say I told you so. Even more so if this new film succeeds.

I still feel really bad for Leslie Jones, who definitely got the worst deal out of all this.

If they`re gonna do anything with this franchise, they should revive the cartoon or video game /opinion :monster:

There were many haters for sure, but I think most people who complained would've liked to have seen the film connect with the original films, didn't matter if it had an all female team. If it wasn't a remake, it wouldn't have been compared. It ultimately became political and played out like a parody of itself. That whole scene in the movie where they were looking at comments on the internet was filmed after the reaction to the trailer. I get the female empowerment aspect; some do it right, some don't. In this case, it didn't. At the end of the day, the fans just want a good movie that took itself a bit more seriously. After many years, we're getting what the majority have been waiting for in the first place. A sequel. I believe it's in proper hands this time.

I feel bad for all the actresses. Some of them are funny if given better direction and script.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
Wow, I am surprised that some people have such negative feelings towards Ghostbusters. Not to say that they're wrong or anything, I just always thought of it as sort of a fun-loving movie. Cheesy, but fun. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but I loved the original as a kid. To be honest I can't even remember if I watched the sequel, and I definitely didn't watch the reboot. Not that I have any issue with the cast change, but it just looked to be too far off from the original that I didn't think I'd enjoy it.

That being said, if there's demand for the reboot to continue I don't see why they couldn't keep that as a spin-off and continue it. I thought the reboot didn't do too well critically, but I am not that knowledgeable on that stuff so I could be wrong, it's just something I seem to remember hearing about.

I'm all for them continuing with the original story, though, and honestly a bit excited to see how it turns out. I need to also rewatch the original and the sequel since I don't think I ever even watched the sequel.

P.S. That giant Michelin Man scared the you know what out of me as a kid!!! Pretty sure I had a nightmare where he was walking past my window and he smiled at me and kept walking. Creepy...

Attachments

• a09ba5d0cda34e1de8b60872bd1e8d1e.png
    a09ba5d0cda34e1de8b60872bd1e8d1e.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 3

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Wow, I am surprised that some people have such negative feelings towards Ghostbusters. Not to say that they're wrong or anything, I just always thought of it as sort of a fun-loving movie. Cheesy, but fun. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but I loved the original as a kid. To be honest I can't even remember if I watched the sequel, and I definitely didn't watch the reboot. Not that I have any issue with the cast change, but it just looked to be too far off from the original that I didn't think I'd enjoy it.

That being said, if there's demand for the reboot to continue I don't see why they couldn't keep that as a spin-off and continue it. I thought the reboot didn't do too well critically, but I am not that knowledgeable on that stuff so I could be wrong, it's just something I seem to remember hearing about.

I'm all for them continuing with the original story, though, and honestly a bit excited to see how it turns out. I need to also rewatch the original and the sequel since I don't think I ever even watched the sequel.

P.S. That giant Michelin Man scared the you know what out of me as a kid!!! Pretty sure I had a nightmare where he was walking past my window and he smiled at me and kept walking. Creepy...

I remember watching the original Ghostbusters when it came out on home media. I was probably 4 or 5 at the time. That music cue that was used in the Ghostbusters 3 trailer was the same as the opening library sequence, and I remember hiding under the kitchen table crying the first time hearing it because of the eerie vibe. My Dad was trying to tell me not to be scared and come back over. The tv was still in sight and I was peaking as I was crouched over. After the tense scene with the librarian, the Ghostbusters title and theme song showed up, and I felt a complete change in my mood. I came back to the sofa and watched the rest of the movie and while I didn't understand some of the jokes, I took interest in seeing the guys catch ghosts. Something I was scared of at first, I quickly became a fan of and it didn't need to be action-heavy. I think the reboot tried to have more of that, but come on, they're not supposed to be action heroes. The female ghostbusters only caught ONE ghost throughout the movie and then released it. That's pretty lame to me.

My family and I saw Ghostbusters 2 in a drive-in theater. I still liked it even though it had similar beats to the first one. I'm looking forward to see what the third story will be like. I've seen a couple of Jason Reitman's films(Up in the Air and Tully) since the announcment, and they were pretty good.

Top Bottom