• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

NEW TRAILER: State of Play May 2019

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
They do it for non-fantasy things too though, don't they?

Is it just kind of appropriating it in the same way we appropriate roman numerals?

I remember having this conversation with my Japanese teacher.

Me: What's door?
Her: Do-a
Me: What about table?
Her: Ta-be-ru
Me: OK, how about bed?
Her: Bed-do
Me: No! No! I refuse to accept that you didn't have beds before World War II. I refuse to accept that you don't have a real Japanese word. You're just hiding it from me!
Her: Refrigerator is reizouko.
Me: That's better.

I've been watching a Chinese crime drama, Original Sin, and they pepper a lot of little English words into their speech.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Having english words for western inventions definitely makes sense.

It seems weird for a Japanese invention though. Surely Final Fantasy at some point went by its japanese name? Whatever that is.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
They think English is cool in general, but you're more likely to see it in a fantasy title then a drama set in Japan.

It used to be written ファイナルファンタジー in the logo, but that was only the very early titles (its katakana/phonetic name is now shown under the Latin-lettered logo). I.e. Fainaru Fantajī, "Final Fantasy" rendered into Japanese phonetics.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
They think English is cool in general, but you're more likely to see it in a fantasy title then a drama set in Japan.

Are most japanese people actually reading the english words with something like this? Or are they just seeing it as a set of symbols that they know represents Final Fantasy (but not because they're reading it)?

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Are most japanese people actually reading the english words with something like this? Or are they just seeing it as a set of symbols that they know represents Final Fantasy (but not because they're reading it)?
I think most are able to read English, as they do learn that language in school. And there are some signs, company and store names written only in English. More so in big cities and less so in rural areas. Not an expert on this, just an observation I made during my trip to Japan in April.

A question to anyone able to read a good amount of Kanji: What do the Kanji on the train station time table in the new trailer say? You know, the green and red terms on the left.
Train Timetable SoP2019FFVIIRTrailer.png

I was thinking of departure and arrival at first, but those are written in different Kanji. I do recognize the left red one as the one used in 行く (いく) as in to go.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
That just makes me hope we can ride the trains around Midgar. As part of the open-world exploration, not just during the story.

I have some kind of weird fascination over transport systems in open-world games. (I wish there were a lot more of them, and a lot less fast-travel warping)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
In regards to Tifa’s design, I expect either no change from her AC/Dissidia opening renders (though with like modesty/dark sport shorts under the miniskirt), or secondly the skirt gets a slit for extra mobility but the modesty/sport shorts are even longer making it almost skort like, or thirdly, they give her black leather shorts.
I don’t really care much either way as long as they avoid a panty shot/tighty-whitey fetish aesthetic for the mini-skirt.

I dunno, the default Miqo’te outfit from FFXIV is panty-shot city. Pretty sure the fandom is hard divided on this one, and Square’s track record is to cater to the pervs.

Edit: whoa! The conversation has long since moved on. These threads update so quickly lol, I should refresh before replying.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
A question to anyone able to read a good amount of Kanji: What do the Kanji on the train station time table in the new trailer say? You know, the green and red terms on the left.

I was thinking of departure and arrival at first, but those are written in different Kanji. I do recognize the left red one as the one used in 行く (いく) as in to go.

I want to say that the green one is 普通 but the last kanji is a little too blurred to be sure. As far as I know for trains it basically means 'as usual.'

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I dunno, the default Miqo’te outfit from FFXIV is panty-shot city. Pretty sure the fandom is hard divided on this one, and Square’s track record is to cater to the pervs.

Edit: whoa! The conversation has long since moved on. These threads update so quickly lol, I should refresh before replying.
Eh, I don't know if what FFXIV does will be super indicative of what the Remake does, especially since the crux of character creation in FFXIV is doing almost anything you want with your character.
And even then the default female hyur/miqo'te/etc. design aren't super fetishy; the fetish aesthetic I was thinking of in my comment was more Dead or Alive levels of fetish.

How long would it take an express train to get from sector 1 to sector 8 which is, unless I'm much mistaken, right next door to sector 1? Wouldn't that be like taking an express train from Waterloo to Victoria? I mean I'm just wondering why they have an express train. I think it indicates just how big they conceive Midgar being.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
How long would it take an express train to get from sector 1 to sector 8 which is, unless I'm much mistaken, right next door to sector 1? Wouldn't that be like taking an express train from Waterloo to Victoria? I mean I'm just wondering why they have an express train. I think it indicates just how big they conceive Midgar being.

There's probably a central station in the middle of each sector, versus other trains that might have more stops at different points. Express means non-stop.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I know express means non-stop, I'm just saying they don't even have 'express' trains from one part of London to another, so if you have an actual call for an express train then that is some big city you've got there.

Ah. This is true. I mean we already know it's a big enough city that it has it's own elevated highway system somewhere near the border that can't be seen from elsewhere.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I know express means non-stop, I'm just saying they don't even have 'express' trains from one part of London to another, so if you have an actual call for an express train then that is some big city you've got there.

Express trains (and busses) are also largely put in place to mitigate transportation needs explicitly around common peak hours.

Example: Lots of times you'll have cities where large numbers of people work in one area, live in another, and they all work roughly from 9-5. Most frequently that means that those express lines are usually just one direction in the morning and the other direction in the evening between those stops, and they just ignore other stops. That way they can go between the regular ones to supplement the regular schedule, rather than actually being separate "lines" or routes from one location to the other.

They're less about a city's overall size, and more about an analysis of its of population density, and specifically having a predictable movement of exceptionally dense parts of that population with an increased need for movement between a small number of locations within known times.

It's also worth noting that each Sector in Midgar is likely to have multiple stations that they can stop at along the way, and the Sector 1 to 8 Express line would likely just be hitting the major hubs of those places, and bypassing all of the other stops. Because of my earlier point, even relatively short travel distances can have express lines if they have the density to necessitate them.

X :neo:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Having english words for western inventions definitely makes sense.

It seems weird for a Japanese invention though. Surely Final Fantasy at some point went by its japanese name? Whatever that is.
English is used heavily in Japanese media. I would say a majority of Japanese video games have English titles, Final Fantasy among them.

Within the Final Fantasy series they also use a ton of English. Obviously most of the character names are written in katakana and/or based on English words (Cloud = Kuraudo, Aerith = Earisu, etc.). However, the same is also true for many of the items and abilities in the series (Potion = Pooshun, Fire = Faia, Blizzard = Burizaado, etc.), as well as core game systems (Active Time Battle System = Akutibu Taimu Batoru Shisutemu, Limit Burst = Rimitto Baasuto, etc.).

All Japanese people learn English in school and it's heavily incorporated into pretty much everything outside of actual conversational speech. For product and company names, signs, key terms, etc. it's very common to use English.

Top Bottom