Oh. My. GOD. This new trailer!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I love the Eligor. Ifrit and Shiva look great -- looks like Shiva creates an aurora around her. In the english gameplay footage, looks like Ifrit and Cloud share the battlefield, and Ifrit has his own ATB gauge.

As for the scenes, everything is cut so fast, nothing can breathe. Hope that's just the trailer, and not the game.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Also, I don't know who mentioned this, but I'm pretty sure Eligor only appeared in the OG train graveyard... someone was mentioning they hoped that would make another appearance. I think that's a pretty strong indicator.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Yeah gameplay wise we're getting so much new stuff. At the end of the trailer you can see a yellow materia in Tifa's glove. I immediately was like "Oh yeah it's Steal, the only command materia you have at that point..." but in the remake there's absolutely no reason to assume that.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
First Class SOLDIERS had the freedom to individualize their uniform, I would say the blonde guy on the motorcycle is one of them, and hopefully not the last one we'll see.

The battle scene where Cloud turns into toad, happens in the sewers, right? I'm asking, because Barret is the third member in the party. Maybe an indicator for exploring the sewers further, outside of the main story?

This trailer raises more questions than answers, but first and foremost, I want to know how much "freeroam" this game will actually offer. I can't wait to see more gameplay, REAL GAMEPLAY on the Famitsu and PS streams in the upcoming days.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Also, who DA EFF is this guy?

he was giving me heavy recycled Loz vibes, especially considering the fact that he pulled a similar move on a motorbike that Loz did in advent children iirc?? I'm not sure I've only been able to half watch the trailer twice cuz I'm stuck at work with screaming kids, sooooob sob

Ite

AKA
Ite
My collected thoughts after about 20 passes through the trailer:

-----First, the good:

Ifrit and Shiva look exceptional. The eligor you're fighting with Shiva also looks incredible (as have all the updated monsters). I like that summons seem to have their own ATB gauge, kind of a mix between FFX and FFXII summons. That's what I did for my D&D variant with summons and I think it's gonna work really well, and give summons a reason to be a distinct color of materia (whereas in the OG they were just powerful/MP-draining AOE spells).

Overall, I am really liking the english VAs. Heidegger's "Gyaa haa haa" was perfect, and Tifa's performance in both trailers so far is really great.

I love that AVALANCHE has more members - you can spot at least three more in this trailer and its great. I'm loving that there are segments where you control Tifa or Barret alone. The minigames look fun (I can't believe they've EXPANDED the Wall Market gym lol)

------Things I don't like:

Shinra Sr.'s whole deal was the illusion of peace and prosperity. He'd conquered the world, the only thing left to do was to maintain the order. In this version, he's spinning AVALANCHE to be "allies of Wutai" for the end goal of....? what exactly? In the OG, Wutai had been crushed by the SOLDIER program and was now basically a theme park. This change to the setting is obviously commenting on the political events of the last 20 years (good lord 9/11 was 19 years ago today) but it seems like an attitude better suited for a prequel. If it's still happening, the sense of hopelessness against Shinra isn't as biting. I mean, why *doesn't* AVALANCHE ally with Wutai? It's because Wutai lost

There are too many living things in Midgar. The sunlight reaches too far under the plate. I'm glad it's not all grey, but I think they could have livened up the place without changing what the city's supposed to be like.

I hate the ghosties. I will never like the ghosties. Fuck the ghosties. Fuck Sephiroth. Get out of the Midgar section you scenery-chewing fuck.

------Nitpicky things:

Aeris VA is a noob and it shows, but I’m more likely to notice subtle things others don’t, so I’ll hold off judgement for the full game.

The biker SOLDIER guy reminds me too much of Advent Children and other douchey S-E titles. The action cinematics are a bit too quick for my slow 1986 eyeballs.

This is a weird thing, but both Red XIII and summons are a major step away from the baseline 'reality' of FF7. The fact that we'll be suspending our disbelief to accommodate summons before we meet Red XIII feels a little wrong to me, can't quite put my finger on it. The fact that they join you on the battlefield makes this feeling somehow worse. Do they upstage him? I'm not sure what exactly it is, but I don't feel good about it.

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Shinra Sr.'s whole deal was the illusion of peace and prosperity. He'd conquered the world, the only thing left to do was to maintain the order. In this version, he's spinning AVALANCHE to be "allies of Wutai" for the end goal of....? what exactly? In the OG, Wutai had been crushed by the SOLDIER program and was now basically a theme park. This change to the setting is obviously commenting on the political events of the last 20 years (good lord 9/11 was 19 years ago today) but it seems like an attitude better suited for a prequel. If it's still happening, the sense of hopelessness against Shinra isn't as biting. I mean, why *doesn't* AVALANCHE ally with Wutai? It's because Wutai lost

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the giant Holo-President idea for similar reasons.

In the original, part of what made President Shinra so effective as a bad guy was how completely disaffected he was with everything. He was always unemotional and understated. During the KING VERMIN conversation in the reactor, he never reacted to Avalanche as if they were anything more than a minor inconvenience.

Turning that conversation into a booming light-show spectacle observable for miles makes it something very different. Although, given the number of real-life countries with loud-buffoon-type politicians in charge at the moment, I guess that might be the point.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
How is Shinra surmising that they're working on behalf of Wutai equate to him "spinning" AVALANCHE to be for Wutai?

Also, assuming a tiny terrorist group is inspired by Wutai hardly means the war is still going.

Top Bottom