FFVIIR at TGS 2019 (NEW TRAILER!)

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
On another note: I really loved the stuff with the Summons and the fact that environment can play a role. In the fight with Aps, you can see Ifrit lighting the boss on fire, but he dives into the water to put out the fire and things like that, so not just the enemy type/weaknesses, but also environmental factors of the battle itself can impact how things work out.

I didn't notice it the first time I watched it, but upon reviewing the footage again, there's some neat stuff like that that I think will make a lot of the fights feel more interesting or unique than they would otherwise.

X :neo:

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
@ForceStealer Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but are you hinting at that the person Cloud sees as Sephiroth, could be someone else? Vyzzuvazzadth already pointed out that the scene happens in the same room, where Tifa says that Clouds way of helping her is not how she imagined it when they made that promise years ago. Is that actually a reaction to Clouds weird behaviour, after he accidentally saw her as intruder and tried to draw his sword against her? This could be a funny scene, wouldn't we know how serious it gets in the later parts of the story.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
On another note: I really loved the stuff with the Summons and the fact that environment can play a role. In the fight with Aps, you can see Ifrit lighting the boss on fire, but he dives into the water to put out the fire and things like that, so not just the enemy type/weaknesses, but also environmental factors of the battle itself can impact how things work out.

I didn't notice it the first time I watched it, but upon reviewing the footage again, there's some neat stuff like that that I think will make a lot of the fights feel more interesting or unique than they would otherwise.

X:neo:
The devs have been talking about this pretty much since PSX 15 I believe, and they’re sure as hell not disappointing us ...

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The stuff with Sephiroth got me thinking. I was originally pretty opposed to him appearing at all in the Midgar segment of the remake, but I've warmed up to the idea of him being Cloud's personal demon feeding into his fear and self-doubt. It can pretty well re-contextualize his appearence in the Shinra building from the OG; Now it's not "Oh shit who's Sephiroth what's happening," its "Oh my God he's REAL, not just in Cloud's head!"

Also, going back to TURK SURNAMES for a second, wasn't there some dumb fan-made last name for Reno at some point? I feel like I remember that being a thing.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but are you hinting at that the person Cloud sees as Sephiroth, could be someone else?

Possibly. Or maybe several inconsistent things, leading to the slow, unsure way Cloud proceeds. Or maybe it's a hallucination that even includes the player, leading you to attack, like the Scarecrow parts of Arkham Asylum. I'm just spitballing, but there are no shortage of options.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
No, I thought about it and came to a conclusion. Have you never given someone else's position due consideration and come to the conclusion that they're wrong? You seem to be saying that every time we think about something with an open mind we must come to the conclusion that it makes sense, since according to you it's impossible to give an argument due reflection and then conclude that it doesn't make sense. I have thought about your argument, I have not changed my original position as a result of it, and you're saying that means I have a closed mind and didn't give your idea a chance. If you think about that for a minute you might see why it's a rather insulting patronising thing to say.

Just to be clear: your liking Cloud/Jessie and wanting a romance to develop between them totally makes sense, and nobody wants to stifle your enthusiasm for it. Claiming that it's the most logical path for the Remake to take and that we should all be onboard with it is what doesn't make sense.

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to say that everyone should want it. I know people have different tastes. I just wanted to show how it could be possible and could work, is all, and not be shouted down. How do I know you weren't predisposed to decide the way you already felt? Is that really an open mind when such an initial bias may exist? And EM, it's you all not letting me be, saying you think it's okay for me to have my view but then going on about all the reasons why it can't work or won't be done in some way. That doesn't help me or the situation. It only makes me feel misguided or wrong, like I want something dumb or mistaken but am tolerated anyway, and makes me more invested in debating it. So if you and others are going to say it's fine for me want and like what I do, then just leave it at that and don't tear down my position because you don't agree with it, especially in the very same post.

And for the record, there is precedent in the FF series for PC/NPC romances of varying degrees past and present - Snow and Serah (FFXIII), Ashe and Rasler (FXII), Locke and Rachel (FFVI), Vincent and Lucrecia (FFVII: DoC), and Laguna and Raine (FFVIII) are a few examples. But that's all I'll say about that. I don't want to go into it anymore. I just wanted to put that bit of information out there.

Will we get another trailer in December, do you think? I'm more curious than excited now. It's just hard for me to be after having my thoughts and ideas torn down, or least feeling that way.

Last edited:

rimavelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
rima
@OdaDaimyO Vyzz meant it's the same building not the same room. Probably the building with weapon store that had rooms to rent at the top. But it could be cool, hmm. A bit like when
Noctis saw Promto as Ardyn and pushed him off the train

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but are you hinting at that the person Cloud sees as Sephiroth, could be someone else?
OOOOH, and the soup thickens.

Cloud sees Sephiroth. He wants to kill Sephiroth. Only it's not Sephiroth.

It's the Watchmen of Fate (maybe). Only it's not the Watchmen of Fate (maybe).

It's AERITH.

Now this thought exercise has layers. I like layers.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Has anyone got a link to that SQE page where you can download the trailers and artwork etc? Sorry I keep losing it and somehow can’t navigate my way back there again. Also while I’m asking, has the TGS stuff been uploaded there yet in super hi-def to download?? Thanks x

Jairus

The E3 trailer from there plays jittery for me, but the others run fine. Any idea why that would be? Doesn't matter which player I use, either.

Also, why does it seem like people think Cloud will be involved with Tifa or Aerith by the end of Part 1? That never happened in the OG, and I've never understood why people seem to think it'll be any different here. Just confused is all.

Jairus

Alright. I guess I was reading too much into things because I was trying to understand how adding Jess would get in the way of a progression for the others that's only just beginning. I don't want to get all that going again, but I just wanted to share a thought I had about how it could be implemented without compromising Aerith and Tifa's arcs. I think SE confirmed that a date mechanic like in the OG would be in the remake, so that could be used to allow player choices to determine how certain scenes play out. The overall gist of the scenes would be the same, but they would go differently depending on which girl the player's actions and choices (such as who to give the flower to) have favored to that point, without necessarily being mean to the others to do it. It doesn't have to be a lot of scenes, just a few maybe, but enough to give a different experience each time you play, with a final Gold Saucer-esque date scene among them and maybe a more tender final exchange between Cloud and Jessie during her end if the player chose actions that favored her. So those that want to focus on Aerith, for example, could favor her with the choices and actions that would do that and get certain scenes that would reflect that interest, while those who prefer Tifa or Jessie could do the same for them with the same results, without affecting the larger story, just as who you end up with at the Gold Saucer in the OG doesn't affect how the larger story plays out. This way nothing is forced, it's all player-decided to a certain degree, so people can have the game experience that they want, and the larger story remains the same.

Jairus

You don't have to be mean about it. I was just sharing that one thing, as I said. That's all.

NibelFire

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Blaze

X:neo:

I'm a huge fan of being able to utilize the battle environments and elemental affinities to your advantage. Loving the fact that they are incorporating visual cues such as that. Even Aps' tidal wave attack had him channeling it out of a nearby storm drain. Even tiny details like that just show that SE is definitely taking their sweet time to make sure nothing is being skimped/glossed over.

Would love to see more fights where even the enemies can use elements on the field against you. That would make for another layer of strategy beyond just stat checks and finding body weaknesses.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
On the subject of surnames, my headcanon (as of only a week ago, as before I never even thought about it) is that Jessie is Jessie Piette, for the obvious joke.

Otherwise, unless it's important, or some other injoke, no surnames. They can be a little ridiculous about thinking up names (first or last) for secondary characters (Fury Caraway, I'm looking at you).

Reactions: Ite
Top Bottom