FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

I downloaded the 1080p 30fps version of that video before it got set to private. (I rarely try to download the 60fps version of videos since the end result is always a terrible mess that for some reason typically caps at 45fps and always desyncs the audio)

If anybody wants the video file just send me a private message. :monster:

EDIT: The respective Italian gameplay videos by GamerDex and Multiplayer.it respectively are set to private. I have download links to both for anyone who is interested.

Last edited:
Loving the addition to Barret's profile on the official English website.

When not fighting against the corporation, he and his comrades serve in the neighborhood watch and keep the people safe─including his daughter Marlene, who he dotes on as a loving father.

I think making Barret and his group more community-smart in this way is a good choice. At the same time they are very much not ignoring Barret's extreme-ness with this part in his profile:

The leader of an independent Avalanche cell in Midgar, Barret was disavowed by the old guard for his extreme methods that attracted too much attention.

So many neat nuances and changes/additions to the canon!

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Yeah, I like what they did with him, too, Shad. Fits his character very nicely and still feels fresh at the same time. Curiously, though, I noticed that neither Aerith nor Tifa's profiles make any mention of their feelings for Cloud even though in the original FFVII manual it was quite blatantly laid out in both of them. Could be nothing, but still curious nonetheless.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Right now, I'm most excited to see Barret's story in the remake. I liked him in the OG, but I never really used him much because I liked other characters more. I'm really happy he gets this chance to shine, and just based on the bits off the website, it looks like there could be a lot of interesting story to tell.

Jairus

Well in 2019 female characters aren’t assumed to exist for the benefit of male characters.......................................... as much.

Oh, I understand that. It's just that it was part of the original story, is all, so it was a little conspicuous that it got left out when it was included so prominently in the original's manual.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Maybe they don't want to prime anyone before they've played the game? Leave it up to them to discover as they go through the story, ya know?

Oooh, maybe there won't be a triangle at all, maybe Aerith and Tifa will have their own special relationship while Cloud broods by himself, like he does so well.

Jairus

That's possible - about not wanting to prime anyone, I mean. I guess we'll see how it all unfolds. Should be interesting, in any case. Dang, March seems so far away...

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite

Jairus

What's always irked me about people complaining about English VA's is that they never explain what they dislike about them. What particular tones or inflections or whatnot are setting them off. It just seems like an instinctual reaction just because it's in English, like they don't like their own language or something. Not saying that's the case, it's just how it seems to me sometimes. Like any VA that isn't in Japanese seems to automatically get bashed sometimes no matter what its actual quality might be, just because it's not in Japanese.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Is PS4 datamining a thing? Because if it is, I hope they don't put out a bombing run demo (as fun/cool as it'd be). It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Reactions: Ite

pxp

Pro Adventurer
What's always irked me about people complaining about English VA's is that they never explain what they dislike about them. What particular tones or inflections or whatnot are setting them off. It just seems like an instinctual reaction just because it's in English, like they don't like their own language or something. Not saying that's the case, it's just how it seems to me sometimes. Like any VA that isn't in Japanese seems to automatically get bashed sometimes no matter what its actual quality might be, just because it's not in Japanese.
Not everything has to be explained, sometimes it's nothing more than just preference.

In my case though, it's two things: Japanese VA recalls my youth when I watched Manga and Anime with Japanese VA and English subtitles. It just works for the genre, I think. Secondly, I'm British so the American accents kind of irk me when they're implanted onto my fave characters. Just something about the American accent that can be really annoying (but not offensive or anything) when it's not an American world, you know? I realise it's kind of irrational but there we are. You see, I really like DQ English VAs because they're British and even regional with dialects ;)

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
With just subtitles or something?

Yeppo. I'm shocked at how much I love Cloud's new VA, but the supporting characters... are just so much more smooth-sounding in my mind. For me, it's about not wanting to replace those inventions of my imagination. I can't read Lord of the Rings anymore without seeing the cast of the film, hearing their performances when I read the dialogue. It's not that the performances were bad, it's just that the written dialogue lost a little bit of its magic. I just don't want that to happen to FFVII. I know it's not really rational, and as an actor it perhaps doesn't behoove me to reject the good work of all those fine people. But, that's how I feel :3

edit: I also like subs for the same reason -- especially not knowing Japanese. I get a lot of the emotion of the performance without fully getting a line-reading, and its also the intended voice-visual match, so the facial expressions and body language match the emotional vocals. FFX's english dub was laughably bad (one of the first scenes of the game, Tidus and Rikku are talking on the ship, and he says "Star player of the Zanarkand Abes!" and the character gesticulates for a solid ten seconds after the english line is done.... cringe) and I really, really don't want to cringe at FF7R, especially when it's no fault of the game itself.

Last edited:

Jairus

I get that, pxp, but much of the audience is American (including me), so they can't just ignore them. Nor would it be realistic to have everyone have the same accent (British, for instance). America is part of the world, too, and forms a good chunk of FF's Western fanbase. So naturally the English VA's will reflect that. Incidentally, when I play the OG, I don't hear everyone's voice in my head in an American dialect myself despite being American. Cait Sith, for instance, I hear as Scottish, partly due to his portrayal in ACC but also because of where his name comes from. And there's a good chance his VA in the remake will also have an accent like that. And I've always imagined Quistis from FF8 speaking in a crisp British accent, just seems to fit her character, at least to me.

So don't think us Americans think that every VA should have an American accent in English. But sometimes that's what fits the character, and that's what they've got to go by. What fits the character. Midgar was inspired by an American city, New York, so it follows that the English VA's, at least in that part of the story, would mostly reflect that. It just feels like you're disparaging us just because of where we happen to come from. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry and feel free to correct me. That's just how it came across to me.

Ite, you don't have to worry about the voice-visual match in the remake because the models are being completely reanimated for the English dialogue. So it'll be a smooth experience. I get what you mean about FFX, though, but remember it was their first time doing any VA, I think, so they were still learning how to do it. People shouldn't expect perfection on a first attempt. And some of it, like in ACC, may have been due to having to be forced to match the Japanese mouth movements because SE couldn't be bothered to reanimate the models for English dialogue back then. They didn't even translate the kanji in ACC for the English release, so it still feels a little incomplete to me.

Top Bottom