SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 1 Spoiler Discussion

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yeah what struck me about it was really how far west Nibelheim looked. Now Tifa's outfit as a cow girl makes sense! I'm also very curious because it does look like they are adding layers to Cloud and Tifa's friendship as kids (she looked bummed he ignored her when in t he OG they never really talked?).

Lex

Administrator
Same! I'm wondering if we'll maybe control Cloud there in a dream or something. It seems unusual they'd recreate it like that just for cutscenes? But equally likely I suppose.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I mean they might as well do the whole thing, it's one map less they'll have to do for part two then.

I was just thinking about that out of bounds video of the demo and how you could see the president's office there. I assume if you do that in the full game you'd have Nibelheim hovering somewhere right next to the Mako Reactor map as well...
Even if it's not playable, people will likely find a way to traverse Nibelheim at some point...

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
Yeah in the OG it was kind of ambiguous but you got the impression that Tifa ignored Cloud and not the other way around :monster:

It'll be an interesting dynamic to watch.
Didn't Cloud say he was the one avoiding them in the Lifestream event?

At first I thought the flashback was Jenova's mindtrick but it was in-line with the OG' plot so not sure what that cut scene was all about. Maybe they just wanted an excuse to show loli Tifa early.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Cloud never hung with Tifa and the other kids, and when he tried, Tifa fell in the mountain (after her mother's death), and her father forbade him to talk to her so uh.

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
In the lifestream event. He said he wanted to play together but never could open his mouth to ask.

All I'm saying is this flashback is his real memory. Just find the timing is weird

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Ah yeah but I never said otherwise tho, I do think it's his real memories, which will make the whole thing later on really more interesting "but I saw his memories with Tifa as a kid, how can he be a clone?" etc. As a player, we learn more about who Cloud is and who he was when he was a kid, so I think that's neat.

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
I actually agree the timing is weird - I prefer the glitch-effect-only version from the demo. The final scene would work better during downtime, like right after returning to 7th Heaven. Maybe after greeting Tifa at the entrance but before the bar conversation.

ExampleZ

Pro Adventurer
I don't remember Tifa actually trying to talk to Cloud with all her other friends around, or Cloud just straight up ignoring her like that. I thought him not being able to talk to her or make friends with anyone else was one of the reasons he wanted to join SOLDIER.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It’s obviously part of the expansions to the narrative that SE has repeatedly stated will be part of the Remake. And the brief flashback is perfectly inline with previously established characterization of Cloud as a child, he was antisocial and shy as a kid. Tifa attempting to be social with Cloud as kids doesn’t contradict that.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm keeping a log of my thoughts after each chapter. Here's Chapter 1!
  • I like and don't like the addition of names in opening. I get what they're doing, showing the lead developers before the logo, but I wish they had crammed them all in the new Midgar shots and left the original opening untouched
  • Love seeing the inside of the train terminal. In the original the terminal was only used as a transition between fields. Little things like this are what really stick out to me in the remake
  • I think it's great that Avalanche treats Cloud like a real mercenary. They rely on his skillset and it gives him a special purpose in the group
  • Why do you need to hold triangle to pull levers? Cloud doesn't even exert extra effort as you hold it down, he just stands there. That's AAA game design bullshit #1
  • You can't see the slums below the bridge connecting the sectors, though you could see it in the original. As a trade off, you can pan the camera over to view the Shinra building now
  • Cloud and Barret's exchange in the elevator is great. Barret's "while you shit" line always gets me
  • Dodged some lasers, then turned around to see Barret getting caught in them. That's AAA game design bullshit #2
  • Between Barret being able to shoot at distant enemies and characters being trapped by enemies, there's a lot of good incentives to switch characters
  • I LOVE that the Scorpion Sentinel boss fight is so punched up. And judging from previews, future bosses will be the same way. As someone who loves a good fight, this is an exciting realization
  • The damage sustained to the mako storage room was great to see as you escaped. Again, environmental details like that make me the most happy
  • Cloud saves Jessie twice in this chapter, which happens in the original scenario as well, and I'm just realizing how ridiculous that is

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Are you talking about this bridge from the OG? Because I don’t think that’s supposed to be the Slums at the bottom. I am pretty sure that’s just more machinery/architecture from the reactor/upper plate.View attachment 5254

I figured it was the slums since Cloud falls off a similar bridge later and lands in Aerith's church. So below is the slums area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom