Original Final Fantasy VII players: did you get the game new for PSX?

Original Final Fantasy VII players: did you get the game new for PSX?

• I bought a genuine, unopened copy for PSX (or someone bought it for me)

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • I played the game some other way

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I was a solid 5 months old when FF7 originally came out in the US, so I was pretty lacking in the mental capacity to appreciate the game at that time. For one reason or another in 2012 I decided to play the game, got a PS1 copy on ebay, and the course of my life was irreplaby altered from then on. I'm starting to realize how much older a lot of the userbase here is than me...

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I would have been nearing four when the game was released. I don't know exactly when the game was purchased, nor whether it was new or used, or even whether it was original/Platinum (the EU version of Greatest Hits, but less ugly), however it was my brother's game.

After he invested hundreds of hours into it, he got to Disc 2, and... the game froze. Consistently. That copy of the game was lent to a friend and was never seen again. A new copy was eventually purchased, and I do know that this copy was the Platinum version, and is currently in my bed drawer. I didn't buy any of those PS1 Final Fantasy games, but they're mine now.

My brother got the PC versions of FFVII and FFVIII and just decided to give them to me sometime prior to 2012, presumably because they showed up at the shop he worked at. I finally gave SE my own money when I bought the 2012 PC version from the SE store day 1. The version they abandoned for Steam, and now can't be redownloaded...

Legend

Rookie Adventurer
'96 here. Started in '13 (I had no idea what I was doing with my life for seventeen years) with ACC and watching random cutscenes of CC, didn't play FFVII until the year after. Played on PC. Explored the shit out of the Compilation throughout my university degree. I'm graduated now.

I've got the Greatest Hits version. I think it was new, rather than a used/second hand copy, but I got it in 2003, so I'm not positive. Seems a bit strange that new copies would've still be around 6-ish years after release, but it was a very popular game and the PS2 had backwards compatibility so maybe it wasn't that unlikely?

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Mine actually came from a garage sale. I'd never even played a Final Fantasy prior to that (I was more of a Mario/Legend of Zelda type back then). So... yeah. It was the PSX version (original release, not greatest hits), but it wasn't a new copy.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Bought my OG copy on the first week of release, on a Saturday. I was 17 back then, 1st year student. Oh boy, I can even track that back! Saturday, November 22, bought it from a Fnac store in Toulouse (France). Met up with a friend to share my playthrough, started playing at 5pm and kept playing till 4 am. Good times.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
It was a boring day in spring of 2005 when I first played FF7. I was eleven years old and looking for something to do as my older brothers were occupying the PS2. I remembered that FF7 was tucked away somewhere, my middle brother had borrowed it from a friend but got stuck in the Temple of the Ancients. I decided to give it a try for two reasons: the videogame magazine we were subscribed to made a big deal about Aerith's death and I wanted to one-up my brother by completing it. Ended up being the defining "tastemaker" in my life.

Last edited:

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
December 25th, 1997. It was wrapped up under the tree addressed to me from my mom (who the year earlier got me a PlayStation for Christmas). I didn't exactly ask for the game for Christmas, but at the same time, I didn't ask not for it either. I hesitated a few days before playing it, because I had a bad experience playing RPGs when I rented one at Blockbuster for SNES (in short, I got lost pretty quickly), so I ended up getting a crash course in RPG 101. Now, it's one of, if not my absolute, all-time favorite video games.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
giphy.gif

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Thanksgiving vacation, 1997, my dad took me to Best Buy to get a Nintendo 64. The Sony PlayStation section was on the way to the Nintendo section, and they had rows of kiosks running trailers for Final Fantasy VII, Bushido Blade, etc. Left the store with a PlayStation and those two games instead. The Final Fantasy VII trailer was just so cool to me, I still remember the scene of Cloud coming down the stairs on the Hardy Daytona. That's what sold me.

I had already been a Final Fantasy fan, I played Final Fantasy II on the SNES back in the second grade (1992), after which my mom got us the original for NES, and naturally I played Final Fantasy III, too. I grew up playing RPGs, Dragon Warrior 1-3 were frequent rentals at my house. My mom was into RPGs too, so she'd often get them for herself (years later she even learned how to use emulators and apply translation patches so she could play all the SNES games that never got released in English).

I can't recall why I didn't seem to really be aware of Final Fantasy VII at the time, before seeing the kiosks. I remember the soda promos at the grocery store around the same time, but for some reason it was off my radar. I think during that time period I might have switched from a GamePro subscription to Nintendo Power... all of my friends at the time were super into Nintendo and N64.

Anyway, it worked out really well. PlayStation games were generally way cheaper, so I was able to amass quite a collection. And all my friends had N64s and the same exact library of games, so I didn't miss out on anything there.

Last edited:

clowd

Pro Adventurer
My sister was 26 at the time. She enjoyed watching us play the game when we rented it, so she put up the money to buy it new at SEARS during Christmas break 1997. Games were $49.99 new back then.

I remember holding the case and just being so happy we owned a masterpiece. And I was only halfway through the game at the time.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
I bought mine in January, 1998. It was a late Christmas present i gave myself. I didn't have a Memory Card at the time, so I replayed the Midgar far too many times, up to the point that i could reach Kalm in about 2 hours of gameplay. Those were the days.

Then i bought a Memory Card and that was one of the best summers of my life :monster:

Top Bottom