So I'm planning on doing a playthrough of FF7...but for the blind. Looking for volunteers.

Nistin

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Nistin
Hello all.

So I used to play FF7 periodically throughout my life. Played it when it first came out and played it every few years for about 10 years then stopped.

Kinda forgot about it as I grew older. Fast forward to the present. I'm playing the remake and hear Aerith theme song. Instantly, started to tear up. "Holy shit" was the first thought to come to my mind. Even after all these years, I still have deep emotions attached to this game. Emotions that just went dorment, waiting for me to play again.

What a fantastic game, and after finding 4-8 lives, found out there is a bigger...more fantastic community out there.

Now that I'm older and have some skills under my belt. I want to give back to a game...and in a sense it's community. For being such a part of my life.

So I wanted to do a playthrough. But so many have been done. Another drop in the bucket. Which is fine, and I started to schedule it out. Then it came to my mind...has there been a playthrough designed the Blind? Completely narrated, all dialogue spoken.

I looked, couldn't find one. Which is kinda a shame. An amazing story like this, not being told to a whole sect of people. That's when I decided. I wanted to a complete walkthrough of the game, narrator for the blind.

My voice is not the best but will do. But I feel it would help out the listener if the main characters where voiced by other people. Help give them an identity.

That's why I'm looking for volunteers. If enough people where interested. We can start a discord and start working on how we want to go about the project. How to break up each episode. How much we want to complete the game (side quest?). Everything.

It would not be my project, it would be our project.

Let me know any input or if your interested in chatting about working on the project.

If this actually becomes something the blind community is listening too, other JRPGs could sprout from this. I just feel it's time, with our resources to make free content, to tell this story to people who have no way of experiencing it any other way.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I know there was an organized effort for an audio book series for the On the Way to a Smile novellas. Kind of a similar idea.

I think this is fantastic. I unfortunately cringe st the sound of my own voice, but maybe some of the people from the audio books would be interested in reprising?

Last edited:

Nistin

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Nistin
I know there was an organized effort for an audio book series for the On the Way to a Smile novellas. Kind of a similar idea.

I think this is fantastic. I unfortunately cringe st the sound of my own voice, but maybe some of the people from the audio books would be interested in reprising?

I did not know about that audio book. Interesting. Do you know of a way to contact any of them?

Thank you so much for the tip. I really do hope this plays out. Even only like 10 people listened to it. That's 10 people who couldn't experience it before.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

Bahaha I'm the same as you! My friend asked me to rap on one of his songs years ago. I hated my voice lol

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I did not know about that audio book. Interesting. Do you know of a way to contact any of them?

Thank you so much for the tip. I really do hope this plays out. Even only like 10 people listened to it. That's 10 people who couldn't experience it before.
The series is still posted on youtube. Should check em out, they did a good job!

Nistin

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Nistin
The series is still posted on youtube. Should check em out, they did a good job!

I will, thank you!

Also I hate my voice too. I was thinking about it when I was editing some talking heads I did for a vlog.

I think it's the disconnect of what our voice sounds like in our heads to how it actually sounds. It creates an eerie almost.

I felt the same feeling when I was drunk and shaved beard off of 4 years. I looked in the mirror the next morning, forgetting what I did. I was so shocked and honestly disgusted by the person I was looking at. That was because I didn't recognize them. It felt so weird. For me, hearing my voice is the same feeling.

But if you ever wanted to volunteer to something like this. Just know, it's not about having high quality voice actors. It's about creating different voices so the listener has the better way of keeping track of dialogue.

For that purpose, maybe your voice is perfect for that role. Who knows. Just saying.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I felt the same feeling when I was drunk and shaved beard off of 4 years. I looked in the mirror the next morning, forgetting what I did. I was so shocked and honestly disgusted by the person I was looking at. That was because I didn't recognize them. It felt so weird. For me, hearing my voice is the same feeling.

Lol makes me think of this video

But if you ever wanted to volunteer to something like this. Just know, it's not about having high quality voice actors. It's about creating different voices so the listener has the better way of keeping track of dialogue.

Lol no thanks. I'd want to be able to listen to your end product, without skipping over my parts.

Lex

Administrator
This is a great idea! I got your email last night Nistin. The people involved with the audiobooks were paid VA's (as in, they're not members here for the most part) so I can't be of much help there.

However if you want to put this project together I'd be happy to put up a post on our front page and social media looking for volunteers?

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I don't mind my own voice (probably because I've heard it on recording so many times), but I'm not sure if others would like it or if it would fit any of the characters. :monster: It's youthful but very boyish.

Nistin

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Nistin
This is a great idea! I got your email last night Nistin. The people involved with the audiobooks were paid VA's (as in, they're not members here for the most part) so I can't be of much help there.

However if you want to put this project together I'd be happy to put up a post on our front page and social media looking for volunteers?

Lex,

Thank you for getting back to me.

That's good to hear they where paid VA. Even if I had the money, I would rather it be voiced by people who genuinely love this game. I feel it should be a community project that anyone who wants too can work on.

I joined the discord. I might message you later on there to see what you need for this project to be put together.

Thank you again, this community just seems to be fantastic with little salt. I love that

I'd be willing to try out, be warned my voice is like
:(

I would LOVE that!

Are you on the discord? You can message me @ Nistin#9498

Nistin

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Nistin
I know I do.

I'd be willing to do a more minor role, not one of the main characters. I conveniently already own a decent microphone and know how to use audacity.

Fantastic. There are good amount of reoccurring characters that I feel could use a voice. Are you on the discord? I just joined. Nistin#9498

Nistin

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Nistin
I don't mind my own voice (probably because I've heard it on recording so many times), but I'm not sure if others would like it or if it would fit any of the characters. :monster: It's youthful but very boyish.

If you want to try out, please do so!

This isn't about having the perfect voice for the role. Its about the community, lending a hand, to help a sect of people to experiencing a game they couldn't otherwise.

Please hit me up on Discord, if you are part of it. Nistin#9498

Nistin

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Nistin
I'd also be willing to lend a voice, if suitable. Not that I'm much of an actor, or have particularly dulcet tones :monster:

Still, sounds like fun and that is much needed these days :monster:

Perfect!!

As I was saying earlier. Its not about having professional voice actors. Just voiced by people who love the game. And want to help tell that story to people who can't see it.

Feel free to message me on Discord. Nistin#9498

Thanks again

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
If you want to try out, please do so!

This isn't about having the perfect voice for the role. Its about the community, lending a hand, to help a sect of people to experiencing a game they couldn't otherwise.

Please hit me up on Discord, if you are part of it. Nistin#9498
I do have a discord but I haven't used it in years. I'd have to check what my name was.

As for what I sound like, well I made this abomination three years ago:

Top Bottom