• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Star Trek: Picard

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
So in the season 1 finale (god how did this crapfest get renewed?) they dug deep into their creative depths and KILL OFF......
Picard
himself.... yep. But of course because you can't kill the character the show is...
named for
, his consciousness is uploaded into an android body. Speaking of androids, another beloved character gets the axe, even though
he was already dead
.... well apparently he sorta lived on... but requested to die.... so the plug gets pulled on him.

Bravo. Really bravo. It's amazing how shitty this series it.

CinemaBlend interviewed Michael Chabon, who was apparently very surprised that people cared about the characters he killed off.... I'm not sure how he can call himself a lifelong Trek fan if he formed no attachments to any character...

kRa0l7s.png

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Finale was decent outside of
Picard dying but not dying (but isn't the real Picard technically dead now and this is just a digital copy?) because what is even the point of that

Also uh, why is that doctor sticking around? The one who murdered Maddox? Are we uh, just gonna let that slide?

Series overall was...okay. Just okay. *shrugs*

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Finale was decent outside of
Picard dying but not dying (but isn't the real Picard technically dead now and this is just a digital copy?) because what is even the point of that

I don't see it as being any functionally different from when Shi'ar technology was used to create a clone body for the consciousness of his alternate universe counterpart, Charles Xavier, to be transferred to following Xavier's original body being fatally infected with a Brood egg.

:monster:

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer

Here's an excellent, if quite long, video summing up the failures of PIC's writing team. And no, I don't love to hate on this (seriously, it does hurt me to see what modern-day Trek has become)... but there are many valid points brought up about why it's just... bad.

I love the bit at 48min where he has a clip from TNG that proves the writers didn't care to do much, if any research:

TNG Romulan: "I know a host of Romulan cyberneticists that would love to be this close to you"
PIC Romulan: "we don't have androids and we don't study cybernetics"

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Oh god it's the time traveling trope again :flipmonster:

I never poasted in this thrad after actually seeing it, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought it was a bit cack. They lean on nostalgia for TNG but make it feel forced and awkward, like someone staring and grinning for a little too long after asking "'member such and such". Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed seeing the old characters back again, but at the same time I feel like Generations and First Contact should have been the last instances of the TNG crew. Insurrections was forgettable (I didn't remember that it existed), Nemesis was all over the place.

As for this show, they introduced new characters with either an air of "you are supposed to like this character" or "you are supposed to know / remember this", and neither worked. Elnor was a cringey mix between "noble savage" and "born yesterday" character (while you studied warp technology, I studied the blade... what is a female?). The plot had potential but was all over the place and cringe. None of the characters were convincing, not even Picard himself who just came across as permanently pained, wistful and supposedly wise, frequently staring into middle distance while trying to say something wise or profound, neither of which does the character or its actor any good.

Tl;dr wasted potential. Tune in next time when I'll open up a thesaurus on Discovery.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Can't wait to see how many they violently murder because the writers have no other ideas about how to make drama.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
They've been pretty restrained about it in season 2 so far. Of course, season 2 in general is a notable improvement over season 1 imo.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I hope that holds. Haven't watched any of it, discontinued that sub after that S1 trainwreck and they're really gonna have to earn me back at this point.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
That's fair enough. I can't say I hated season 1, but I probably wouldn't have finished it if my wife hadn't wanted to see it through. I probably wouldn't have given season 2 a chance if John De Lancie wasn't reprising his role.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Wesley, Genesis... round just gravitates to all the fan favorites.

but no that is weird given how involved Wheaton is with the promotional materials

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I guess I can bump this thread for the S3 trailer that came out last month:

The remaining TNG cast coming in like a defibrillator on an already dead corpse :monster: For them alone I'll try to watch this one despite my inability to force myself to suffer through S2. $20 says they weren't able to come up with any idea for Picard and Crusher other than "they're divorced." I see we still can't tell a personal story, needs to be a galaxy-ending threat - which would actually be fine for the TNG crew's last hurrah IF the first 2 seasons had been able to restrain themselves from doing so twice already.

Some positive thoughts so I'm not a total curmudgeon:
1) I genuinely didn't expect the appearance at the end. It would be cool if the mood of the trailer there is a fakeout and he actually is coming as a friend, but that's probably giving these guys too much credit. I'm sure he'll have a violent death somehow despite being a hologram. Oh wait, positive, right. Very cool to see Daniel Davis back in this role :)

2) Though I would have preferred that they simply use the Enterprise-E, this new ship isn't bad. Looks like the E and the Voyager had a baby. Apparently it's a ship from Star Trek Online. Ascended canon :P

3) Minor thing, but I liked seeing a return to the TNG-era animation style of the ship going to warp. (the engines flash, the ship stretches, and then zooms off into the distance and disappears in a flash) All the other shows have been sticking with the JJ Abrams movie style of a sonic boom instantaneous kind of effect which I don't like as much as this one.

Ghost X

Shows up as "video unavailable" for me. Doesn't even have one of them region locked things, so I don't think it is that.

Top Bottom