• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Shin Megami Tensei series

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
New SMTV trailer:
Simultaneous worldwide release for 2021.

Nocturne (SMTIII) is also getting a Switch/PS4 remaster!
Looks like it's the Raidou version and so it will no longer feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series :monster:.

Great news, all around. I was hoping Nocturne would get a remaster, it's great and it's also one of those games, like The Windwaker and Okami, where the art style holds up wonderfully.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Nocturne (SMTIII) is also getting a Switch/PS4 remaster!
WHAT

WHAT

this is the most exciting news of the year

edit; are they adding voice acting?? i am having a freakout

edit 2;

it looks like they are adding voices (i thought it might just be a trailer thing), plus a new 'merciful' difficulty setting as free dlc

Last edited:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
As an avid Persona fan, I probably should acquaint myself with these games. Ngl tho, I kinda have the urge to buy P4G which just came out on Steam.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i wanted to get the special edition boxset for the smt3 remaster, but it seems like everywhere is sold out and the only one i've seen is from a proxy service and it's selling for like £70 more than the base price

which sucks, because i kinda feel like some of those were bought by scalpers to sell off later at, say, a £70 mark up

edit; am i a dumbass for actually considering paying an extra £70 just for this.

XX1KnFP.jpg

the aroma lamp looks cool and i always wished i could have gotten the original game's boxset

i can afford it right now, but i don't feel like i should and i don't want to reward scalpers

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i thought the narrator in the longer trailer sounded funny, like he was doing a strange accent so i wondered if it was character. it sounded like jouji nakata so i checked if he was listed there thinking it would be the old man, who isn't on the character page but jouji nakata is. but as gotou-douji, the cat from the raidou kuzunoha games. which was not the voice i was expecting at all for him, i imagined him sounding like a young adult guy.

they've uploaded two videos showcasing the different demons, with another one going up tomorrow. it's literally just small clips of the character models and nothing amazing, but the demon designs were one of the things that made me interested in the game in the first place.

they show barong but they don't show the cute little trot he does, so i'm afraid i have to dislike the video

also kinda salty that kazuma kaneko isn't doing character designs any more

smt3 was the first one i managed to play after being aware of the series for some time before, but it was also the first time playing anything like it and i was playing it in japanese with a lot less proficiency (i could understand the battle commands and i'm sure i got the basic through line of the story but some characters i remember not understanding at all). i didn't understand how you were meant to use demons like flaemis or the mitamas. if i could summon the will to hook up my ps2 i'd be tempted to check my old save for the original maniacs version with dante (who i never managed to get on my team iirc)

in the meantime i am playing the 3ds version of strange journey and i have digital copies of smt4 and 4 final, which are the only numbered mainline entries i've not played (idk if you'd count final as mainline or spin-off). and hoping this does well and they release remasters of the avatar tuner games. and the raidou kuzunoha ones because i never got to finish the second one of those.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
FEATURING DANTE FROM THE DEVIL MAY CRY™ SERIES*

*as paid dlc

I guess I'm just happy they didn't cut him altogether

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
the end of the video has some little text saying once you buy it all of raidou's scenes are replaced with dante ones, which made it sound like it just cuts raidou out altogether which would suck. the official blog says it adds a 'new game -maniacs-' option to the title screen and raidou's scenes will be replaced with dante's, but i don't know if that means only if you select that new game option. ng maniacs is 'based on the contents of smt3 maniacs' but the hd version was already based on the chronicle edition, which is the same as maniacs but with a few fixes and changes.

anyway i hope there'd be some way to turn off the dlc if it isn't separate because i feel bad for raidou

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
SMT3 had 3 releases:

Vanilla: japan only (no Dante)

Maniax: (called "Lucifer's Call" for the NA & PAL release, this features Dante)

Chronicles: japan only (replaces Dante with Raidou)

Now this HD release is based on the Chronicles version of SMT3.

Raidou is the MC from another SMT spin-off.

Last edited:
lol the meme will live on, I guess. I'm kind of surprised they bothered to pay the license to get Dante back in, guess that's why it's paid DLC.

I don't really care either way about Dante - I think Raidou fits in with the world better - but it's cool for the people that want him. And it seems they've added a Pierce effect to one of his skills, so at least he's viable for the TDE boss now. The original title screen intro is FAR superior to the one with him in it, though, IMO.

And who tf is raidou
He's the MC of some of the Devil Summoner games.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
oh no

my ps4 copy is currently travelling to me and will take a while. i don’t really mind the frame rate being 30 or the aspect ratio changing, i can understand that. the lagging looks disappointing if that happens a lot

the dante dlc always gets brought up but they have actually added more. i went to get the merciful difficulty yesterday and there’s iirc 4 music dlc to change the overworld and battle themes to those of past smt games (1, 2, 4 and 4 final), plus two extra levels that drop items for levelling up and making money respectively. that reminds me of deep strange journey’s dlc. all these are paid (¥350 for each level and ¥255 for each music dlc i think)

while i appreciate adding stuff to speed things up, not too thrilled on making that something you have to buy separately for a game that’s 17 years old. and that’s on top of the ¥900+ dante/maniacs patch. it’d be less annoying if it were a single dlc with it all and they just charged ¥1000 or something

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
so this arrived a couple of weeks back and i have been slowly going through it. i am currently at the nihilo organisation

in general i haven’t really had noticeable performance issues that bothered me. when i saw the slowdown during the matador cutscene ngl i forgot that tweet and just thought it was meant to look like that for drama. idk if i am just not noticing but i haven’t really encountered much else. the most consistent annoyance is that there’s a screen flash where the screen will quickly go black then go normal again. this happens after interacting with an npc or treasure chest where the screen fades to black to show and then leave a closeup on the object, after you’ve finished and start moving away the screen often goes black for a second. it’s a minor complaint but i hope they patch it out. but as i said, other than that i haven’t had too much trouble

while struggling to beat the matador fight (though i did daisoujou in one attempt), i bought the levelling up dlc with the money i had left over in my psn account. and i have comments.

first off, there is a small bit of dialogue text when you enter the area (shinjuku eisei hospital but it’s been tinted blue). one when you first visit that explains what it is, and then one on subsequent visits that recaps it. the latter is 5 text boxes long and i wish you could skip it.

i said it reminded me of the dlc for deep strange journey and honestly, it’s a bit of a downgrade if i am being frank. if you’ve not seen it, in dsj it adds a selectable ‘sub app’ (basically boosters or mods) which when activated will cause enemies to drop items you can sell or items that give you a certain percentage of exp. there are three types (one gives a quarter of the total exp to your next level, the next gives half, and the third puts you up at 1 exp to the next level up). these are dropped by any enemies at any location.

here, only enemies in the dlc area (“where the demi-fiend was born”) drop these. that’s fair enough, but the thing is they don’t always drop them. you regularly see mitamas and at first i thought these were the only ones that dropped the items, but others do too although it feels less frequent. there is multiple levels to explore so maybe as you go up from the basement where you start they drop more

except even the basement was pretty tough to do when i first went there at level 17. at one point i actually got a game over trying to go up to the next floor. so it’s not like dsj where all enemies will drop stuff as part of your regular play and you can get stuff from low level enemies. it will probably be tricky if you went there at the start of the game to get anything. i can do it alright now with whirlwind and force booster but it was hard getting much out of it at the start

also mitamas will run away from battle meaning no drops. i didn’t give you money for this. they have high defence and agility so you do single digit damage (they only have 6hp though) and will dodge attacks so you might be close to beating them then they bounce. also they sometimes do that as their first move.

there also is only two types of item. one which gives you all but 1 exp to the next level, and one which just says it gives a certain amount. it doesn’t seem to be a quarter, definitely isn’t half. maybe a fifth or sixth? or actually just a couple hundred exp??? you use them from the item menu and you can’t see when using them how much exp you’re getting and i have not checked the numbers in detail. all i know is boo, not happy about this.

also the enemies only give you 5-10 exp. that’s fine if you’re 1 exp from next level but you could be more generous. you took my money for this.

in conclusion:
- make the items more like dsj’s
- make it more generous with the drop rate
- make some enemies at the starting corridor at least be lower level so even at early stages it’s not frustrating
- show how much exp someone has when you are using the items

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
even though he seems to have moved away from design work, after playing smt3 on a modern console i would have really liked to see new character and demon designs from kazuma kaneko in a 3d game. i think strange journey was the last time he did main design work and that was over 10 years ago now

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
The music during the battle scenes was great.

I hope this takes advantage of the inevitable Switch Pro.

V is SMT's best chance yet at breaking into the "mainstream". Widespread platform? Check. Full 3D? Check. Boosted awareness due to the success of Persona? Check.

Hopefully this will be Altlus's next big hit. It'll undoubtedly be my GOTY lol.

Looks good. I'm not really feeling the UI, but it's not really a big deal. I love the main character's pre-transformation design with the floral print on the school uniform, but I'm not really sure how I feel about the transformation... the tokusatsu kind of feel isn't necessarily what I expected for a SMT protag, but maybe it'll grow on me. I do really like the long hair, though.

I'm really looking forward to this. I wonder if there's any chance Nintendo will put up SMT I and II on Switch online outside of Japan?

Top Bottom