SPOILERS Saying farewells to Jairus/Trying to make sense of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
The biggest reason I'm happy he got banned isn't even because I was sick of his rants, it's because I was sick of how you all kept indulging his behavior well beyond what was reasonable. It was clear from ages ago that TLS wasn't helping him, it was only inflaming his behavior. He got pointedly worse as time when on but decisive action wasn't taken, maybe everyone just hoped he'd stop on his own, but here we are.

In all fairness, staff did do a shit load to help jairus out as well as temp banning him when he got really bad. They actively talked to him throughout his time in the board to try and stop his self destructive behaviour but the guy just didn't wanna listen. They couldn't really just ban him for the sake of it really.

The staff here are really good at trying to give folk the benefit of the doubt and tbh he did get better for a little while after his last ban but at the end of the day noone can force him to get outside help especially when he himself doesn't see anything wrong with his own behaviour.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah I know the staff couldn't just up and ban him for no reason, and I don't blame anyone for not exactly knowing how to handle such a situation, but once he started actively disrupting community events and conversations not even Jessie related was when I think it had gone on too long. I was very patient with him too, I defended his actions long after I really should've stopped. It's just a messy situation all around, and I regret not being more proactive.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I dont think there's much more you could've done, Ody. In my experience, the level of gentleness/harshness doesn't really make a difference if the person is ultimately unwilling to help themselves.

Ugh, I just finished the new season of Aggretsuko a few days ago and this situation is making me anxious with that fresh on my mind. Like Glau said, there seems to be some escalation with his behaviour and I hope it doesn't go further than it already has.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I knew this was the tip of the iceberg.
At first I was nice to him and tried to engage with his arguments in good faith, but it was obvious he wasn't going to change his ways.

He was so unhinged that I decided to dig a bit and found all his posts in gameFAQs, his twitter and reddit accounts, and more shit I'm not posting here.
He's mentally unwell. That's not an excuse for his harassment of cosplayers, VAs and even people who left reviews about his fanfics on FF.net!

And all this was a single google search away. Everything was public and for everyone to see.
The question I posed was more rhetorical in nature, but you’re totally right that it was out in public the whole time and that more of us could have looked. Most people don’t randomly search and dig into people’s online footprints if they don’t have reason, but with Jairus, there were plenty reasons and red flags. I don’t know why I didn’t assume harassing VAs and Square Merchandise staff and others was totally up his alley - it seems so obvious in hindsight that’s something he would do.

I dont think there's much more you could've done, Ody. In my experience, the level of gentleness/harshness doesn't really make a difference if the person is ultimately unwilling to help themselves.

Ugh, I just finished the new season of Aggretsuko a few days ago and this situation is making me anxious with that fresh on my mind. Like Glau said, there seems to be some escalation with his behaviour and I hope it doesn't go further than it already has.
For sure - the staff and Odysseus did everything they could practically to put him on a path forward. After all of their attempts, the ball was in his court, and he simply refused to do anything with it. Being more forceful isn’t gonna move an immovable rock. And forcefulness isn’t the opposite of condoning; it’s merely a tactic style.

Lex

Administrator
Hindsight is 20/20 and the eventual reason for his ban is indeed how disruptive he became to the community, but the focus of staff efforts initially was to reach out and try to help him (and just so everyone doesn't think I'm painting myself as an angel here, I'm going to thank Crash and Tres for that, because I was definitely one of the first staff members to put my hand up in favour of a ban).

This is one of these situations where you can look at it and say this is why we deal with things on a case-by-case basis. Someone who isn't this person, who did actually connect with people on the board, would not have been given so much leeway. It's easy to say now that he should have been banned sooner, but I think it's a positive thing that members of the staff and community wanted to put in the effort to help the guy - as far as I know, the staff didn't even know his personal history.

I had one back and forth with him months ago (where I too attempted to convince him to get help and recognise his unhealthy behaviour) and made it a point to stay away after that because I had made up my mind at the time it would end with a ban at some point. But that's not to belittle the efforts of staff who actually continued to reach out, because everyone was holding out hope he could be helped in some way. The other aspect is that if we'd banned him sooner it could easily have been looked on as tyranny or being unfair to some, but now we can at least say we gave it our best shot (and people really, really did). His story is a sad one to be sure, and as someone who has lost a partner in the past I can empathise with the situation. No matter your condition though, one of the first things any psychologist will tell you is that just because you understand the source of your behaviour, you are still responsible for the impact it has on other people.

This is the difference between us and some other communities. As long as the discourse stays (for the most part) mature and respectful, we're not going to boot people unless there's a good reason to do so and it's well justified. Where places like ResetEra are cities, we are a small town. Everyone kind of knows everyone, and maybe there's a small village pub with an old drunk guy that's a bit of a pain sometimes but you put up with them to a point. On another (larger) board the old drunk guy gets booted the first time he's a pain and never gets another chance.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Jarius, if you are still here reading this, please don't let this destroy you! It is never easy to lose a loved one, but do not let it be your life. There are things in life that just don't make sense, but having a negative point of view on this will only bring more pain to you. What I saw on here was pretty concerning to be honest. Like a lot of people here have already said, there was a repeated pattern involving Jessie and aggressiveness I picked up on quickly after I joined. I always avoided most of these conversations because of it. A lot of it makes sense now, but it didn't before. With that being said, I don't have any ill-will towards you and I'm sorry for your loss. I wish you the best and I hope you can find peace with this.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
as far as I know, the staff didn't even know his personal history.
@Lex with all due respect... are you sure about that?

Yeah, I remember reading that and putting two and two together with another post about his fianceé. I just never felt like it would be appropriate to mention outright in relation to the Jessie situation for fear of making things worse or just being plain hurtful. That's not something I wanted to do no matter how frustrating this got.

I'm pretty confused right now.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
To go further, just 思 by itself just has the inherent meaning “to think.” I think us western people as a whole just ascribe all of the character’s connotations in various words to the character itself, which is how we end up with westerners having tattoos of everyday Japanese words on them. When in reality, just the character itself doesn’t always have some deep meaning.

思 itself is made from the radicals for “rice paddy” and “heart.” So it might as well mean Jessie’s gonna be reincarnated in a rice field.

思う - to think (More like “I think that...” rather than “to ponder.” 考える is to ponder)
思い出 - memory
思想 - thoughts
思慕 - yearn
思わず - accidentally

These all have that kanji, but are just normal as hell (albeit pleasant) words.
Not to dig on him too much, but it’s basically just this:
D9DC6C9A-BFF8-4AC3-8689-62A8BC46F174.jpeg

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
To go further, just 思 by itself just has the inherent meaning “to think.” I think us western people as a whole just ascribe all of the character’s connotations in various words to the character itself, which is how we end up with westerners having tattoos of everyday Japanese words on them. When in reality, just the character itself doesn’t always have some deep meaning.

思 itself is made from the radicals for “rice paddy” and “heart.” So it might as well mean Jessie’s gonna be reincarnated in a rice field.

思う - to think (More like “I think that...” rather than “to ponder.” 考える is to ponder)
思い出 - memory
思想 - thoughts
思慕 - yearn
思わず - accidentally

These all have that kanji, but are just normal as hell (albeit pleasant) words.
Not to dig on him too much, but it’s basically just this:
View attachment 7600
Capture.JPG

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
mQFb4Q2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom