Let's read... Homestuck!

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Homestuck.jpg

A young man stands in his bedroom. It just so happens that today, the 13th of April, is this young man's birthday. Though it was thirteen years ago he was given life, it is only today he will be given a name!

What will the name of this young man be?

Homestuck is a tale about a boy and his friends and a game they play together. With his friends, the young man enters a universe plagued by a struggle between dark and light; it's a world filled with sprites and grist, consorts and denizens, kids and trolls. Most of all, it's a world where space is unmeasurable and time is relative.

So let's play shall we?

As far as pacing goes, it's hard to measure an appropriate speed which we all should be going. So what I suggest is that everyone goes at their own pace and then sort of "liveblog" as you read. That is, when you have a thought you make a post. To make sure we keep in the same relative section of the story, whenever you get to a the end of an act we'll wait for everyone to catch up. That way if anyone has a question the specific act is fresh in their minds (for act 5 we'll stop after parts 1 and 2).
That said I'm gonna let this thread up for a bit before I start. Anyone who wants to start can go ahead :monster: I know most of the people who are gonna participate are probably people who've already read the story but I think it'd be cool if interested noobies join too.

so yeah guys, where doing this where making this happen.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
TIME TO RELIVE THE MAGIC

but yeah i'd like it if some new people joined too
spread the homestuck ;O;

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
will catch up when finals are over

cries a little

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
i'm so excited for this, if i get the chance i'll try to join in!!

if i ever get the money to get the homestuck book i'll scan some of the pages of the funnier pesterlogs and pages, i hear hussie's commentary is fantastic.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
I tried to get into the online comic, but I'm not gonna lie: it was the boring borefest of boredom in the beginning. "A boy's name?" "Take fake hands"? Wha--?

Then, I learned that yeah, this is how things begin and you have to be patient to get to the good stuff. I don't have a problem with this, but I have to admit, the art does put me off. And it's not like I am overly demanding of art in an online comic; I follow The Order of the Stick religiously. So, pray tell me, where do the good stuff begin? Should I be patient for a long time? I'm asking because with my limited time for online entertainment, I have even less patience.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
The art goes from what it is in the beginning, to something like this:
wwlsY.gif

WhC8m.gif

portrait2.gif

Vriska.png

Not sure if that helps convince you, but take that how you will. :monster: I actually do not mind any of the art in Homestuck, I think the style in the beginning is cute, and I was more focused on the story than the art anyway. It's really a unique style and story, so I can see how that can be off putting when you first start out. I was the same, I thought it was boring and it didn't make much sense. (some parts still don't all make sense, which is one thing cool about a re-read and people posting their views progressively) However once I got through the first 20 pages, I began to grow very interested. Basically once you character switch to Rose and Dave, Act 1 starts to capture you. At least, that was the case for me. Give John a fair chance though, he really is an awesome character. <3 Please at least finish Act 1 before placing any judgements! There are some good moments in act one (some really cool animations still happen iirc) and even if you find most of act 1 boring, you'll love it towards the end if you dedicate yourself to reading it. XD Or, I'd like to hope so anyway.

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The artwork gets really gorgeous fairly early on. The characters never get that detailed but backgrounds, settings and animations are absolutely gorgeous.

tumblr_lmi01lzdlA1qayg9b.jpg

02681.gif

03581.gif

but settings aside, the art gets REALLY pretty later. it's a great mix of super detailed and very minimal.

daveaerialview.png

03493.gif

03680_3.gif

LOOKING AT RANDOM PAGES

I just started Homestuck a few weeks ago (during the last weeks of the semester, which was not smart :awesome: . And now I've got finals to focus on) and I think I'm somewhere in act 4 now. Since it's my first time reading it and I just started I'll probably continue on at my own pace, but as a noobie I'll likely be lurking in this thread. :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I am so up for this. There's so much I must have missed on my first readthrough.

I can't be the only person who really enjoyed the relative innocence of the early acts tomfoolery with the game mechanics, right? You kind of need it to ease you into the whole story really, given how detailed, dark and dense things start getting later on.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I'm already going through it, but if its cool with y'all, may I join in this?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I am so up for this. There's so much I must have missed on my first readthrough.

I can't be the only person who really enjoyed the relative innocence of the early acts tomfoolery with the game mechanics, right? You kind of need it to ease you into the whole story really, given how detailed, dark and dense things start getting later on.

For me it was more of a retrospective thing. When I first started I had this feeling like, okay this is cute and mildly amusing but what the fuck does it all mean what's the point??? D: It's not as easy to charge through those sections of the story as it is the later ones, imo. I had to set it down for a couple of days/weeks before I could pick it up again.

But then, I think that because of that, I have a pretty solid understanding of everything related to the early acts than say, acts 4 and 5. Whizzing past those I know for a fact that I probably missed like... a bunch of things I couldn't have noticed on a first reah-through.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
okay guys it has been three weeks i am doing this.

I'm just gonna cop out and make a discussion on the first page for now.

I have a lot of mixed feelings when looking at the first page. It's the page you see every time you go looking for an update, so it's something that's very familiar to the entire lore of the comic. The first page is something that gets invoked time and time again throughout the adventure. I can't really put into words exactly how important it is, but I think it's a very interesting topic to consider and I'd really like all of you to comment on it in some way.

That said, when I say mixed feelings I mean mixed feelings in regards to John. Through the adventure, the kids experience a lot of misfortune and tragedy and just lots of bad things. John's character is something that just... confuses me a lot. He has some real genuine moments of great character depth (the first thing that comes to mind is when Jade's dream self dies) but seeing him in this panel just makes me think... how much has he really changed? After all that has happened, how does he still manage to come off as this unassuming little boy? It just perplexes me I suppose.

but yeah I'll talk a bit more when I start actually reading through the comic but I thought that a discussion on the first page would be kind of interesting.

Last edited:
AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
If your looking for one reason and one reason alone to read Homestuck...all im gonna say is that it is fucking
awesome_id_by_meteorkid-d3hd3wn.gif

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Going to start this later tonight. Watch this space.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
okay guys it has been three weeks i am doing this.

I'm just gonna cop out and make a discussion on the first page for now.

I have a lot of mixed feelings when looking at the first page. It's the page you see every time you go looking for an update, so it's something that's very familiar to the entire lore of the comic. The first page is something that gets invoked time and time again throughout the adventure. I can't really put into words exactly how important it is, but I think it's a very interesting topic to consider and I'd really like all of you to comment on it in some way.

That said, when I say mixed feelings I mean mixed feelings in regards to John. Through the adventure, the kids experience a lot of misfortune and tragedy and just lots of bad things. John's character is something that just... confuses me a lot. He has some real genuine moments of great character depth (the first thing that comes to mind is when Jade's dream self dies) but seeing him in this panel just makes me think... how much has he really changed? After all that has happened, how does he still manage to come off as this unassuming little boy? It just perplexes me I suppose.

but yeah I'll talk a bit more when I start actually reading through the comic but I thought that a discussion on the first page would be kind of interesting.

I actually have mine bookmarked on the archive page to check for updates. :awesome: I pretty much agree with you though, John's gone through a lot of shit but he hasn't really made a huge change like Rose and Dave who have grown in major steps as characters. And I think that's just how his character is - sort of naive and perplexed by things. That's why I am really wondering what his reaction to
Vriska being all dead and stuff would be
. Not just because lol!I totally ship that! But because even without that clouding my vision he obvious has some sort of affectionate (as in caring, concern) feelings there and it would be nice to see him show it! In some sort of sad!stuck way. Instead of just going 'oh okay what well lets move on here'.
also this icon reminds me of him :geek:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
i remember first reading this and thinking okay yay this poor boy just needs a pair of arms he'll get them from his chest and

00007_1.gif

oh

he's holding his arms with his arms

it's armception

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Its a relatively common criticism of Homestuck that the first few hours are incredibly slow and difficult to get into. I, for one, will never understand that :( Rereading the first few hours of the comic, its really hard not to be drawn in by the extremely clever dialogue and the amount of thought that went in to designing both the Homestuck game mechanics and all the various funny ways that they can be fucked around with.

I found that I had more trouble liking John at first though. Which was a bit of an obstacle. Compared to Rose or Dave, John just comes across as a braying jackass at first and is nowhere near as funny or interesting. Thankfully, this does change quite dramatically after another few hours. But it did pose a bit of a challenge when I did my first read-through.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
"This is the dumbest idea you've had in weeks!!!

STUPID STUPID STUPID.

And yet the polished surface of your desk...

It beckons"

v2_blanksquare2.gif
PUT THE BUNNY BACK IN THE BOX.

I SAID, PUT THE BUNNY BACK IN THE BOX.

WHY COULDN'T YOU PUT THE BUNNY BACK IN THE BOX?

TG: oh hell that is such a coincidence i just found an unopened container of apple juice in my closet it is like fucking christmas up in here

v2_blanksquare2.gif
You decide to consult with the Colonel's bottomless wisdom. Good grief this thing is huge. It could kill a cat if you dropped it.
rip jaspers

TG: maybe you can play with TT shes been pestering me all day about it
TG: shes mackin on me so hard all the time i start to feel embarrassed for her
TG: i mean not that i can blame her or anything
EB: yes, it is understandable because you are really attractive. i am attracted to you.
TG: thank you
EB: jk haha.
kawaii best friends uguuuuu

00042.gif
IRL BRO

Sometimes at night you pray for burglars
. (I understand Jonh)

No one will be the wiser.
Except maybe for people with eyes.

TT: I understand you have recently come into possession of the beta release of "The Game of the Year", as featured in respectable periodicals such as GameBro Magazine.
EB: that's an ugly rumor.
EB: whoever told you that is a filthy liar.
EB: and you should probably stop hitting on him all the time or whatever.
TT: I can't control myself.
TT: I must have a weakness for insufferable pricks.
EB: anyway i still haven't checked the mail, my dad has it.
EB: i'm trying to go get it from him, so brb
TT: John.
EB: what?
TT: You're wearing one of your disguises now, aren't you?
TT: You are typing to me right now while wearing something ridiculous.
EB: no, why would you even think that??
EB: that's so stupid.

00065.gif

i loved this panel then I LOVE IT NOW god i just... laughing wildly

A severe peanut allergy is a terrible affliction to cope with. oh shit i forgot about this line john has a peanut allergy too woah.

also
00051_2.gif

random thoughts

all the notes from dad to John are retroactively very depressing :(

i'm surprised rose isn't tiff's favourite character i can never unread her pesterchum handle as TentacleTheRapist :awesome:

speaking of rose i remember first reading and finding her a bitch of a bitch but now i just love her doki doki feelings

anyways I'm going to end this post at the first flash
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001982
so haunting, so beautiful

I think Chels mentioned this before but what Hussie says about this panel in the book (in relation to Vriska) is really neat.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I found that I had more trouble liking John at first though.

Same here, and I think that's one of the reasons why people will say it's kinda hard to get into at first. For me it was the fact that I had no idea what the fuck was going on, why John had no arms, why there was a captchalogue blah blah blah etc. Re-reading it now it seems a lot easier and more fun now that I know who John is and wtf is going down. xD

I really started loving Homestuck the first time Rose was introduced, that's when I was officially hooked. She had lots more personality than John, she was very interesting I guess, I actually cared about her from the start whereas with John it took awhile.

i loved this panel then I LOVE IT NOW god i just... laughing wildly

u know what panel makes me just cry?
YOUTH ROLL

i'm surprised rose isn't tiff's favourite character i can never unread her pesterchum handle as TentacleTheRapist

hahaha and I love that about her. >=D But I do love Rose to pieces. ;w; I love all dem kids to pieces.

Oh that's a good topic, Rishi! I'll put it in the other thread, though. c:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
You decide it's time for less meta, and more beta. random unconnected thoughts as follows.
That title screen flash was cool in that it references wind and pickpockets (thief!) and it's just... aaaah Hussie.

John why are you so mean Dad is so nice WHY DON'T YOU LIKE CAKES CAKES ARE AWESOME. In all seriousness though I always really appreciated the relationships between the kids and parents. It was one of the first things I picked up on and really appreciated. John has this complicated adoration and simultaneous annoyance with his dad, while Rose has this resentment towards her mom and it just... it's the first instance of really great character development. The way the kids interact with their guardians is just really substantial and true to how kids and parents interact at that stage of life.

John and Rose's pesterlogs are so cute.

TT: There's a cake in the toilet.
EB: yes. there is.
TT: I'm tempted to clean it up for you.
EB: ok, if that will satisfy your weird ocd complex then go ahead.

The harlequin doll is the first instance of the one arm/one eye motif (shared later by Nana/Spades Slick/Vriska). INTERESTING.

TG: sir im afraid the comet is the size of your moms dick
goddamnit Dave I'm gonna piss myself.

Anyways I just finished act 1. It's an important moment because it's the first time you get this oh shit moment and you realize how much is actually at stake playing this game. It was an important moment for me because it was at that moment when I truly got enthralled by the story. It's only just a small piece of everything that is to come but man... it just really strikes me as a poignant moment.

It's funny how before I couldn't wait to get through all the gag stuff and get to the actual meat of the plot. On reread I would readily welcome more gags in the first act :( probably because I know what's to come

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Dragging this shit up from the grave.

I don't know how many people have suffered through Andrew Hussie's magnum opeous here on the forum, but I wanted to bring some attention to a fan project that released a few days ago, The unofficial Homestuck collection

It's an offline database of every homestuck related work you could want. It has all of homestuck complete with a built in flash player so all the animations and interactive pages work just like they used to, which they don't on the actual site anymore, it's got problem sleuth, jail break, bars quest, Swewt bro and hella Jeff, and any other comic Hussie has made. Built in play lists of all the homestuck songs, a ton of convenience options and forbidden materials... there's so much shit in this. As somebody who has dabbled in web comic preservation myself, this thing brings a tear to my eye lol.

I've been reading it in its "new reader" mode, which unlocks things as you progress through the comic (such as hussie's news updates and the music tracks) and it really breathes a new life into the comic. I'm honestly blown away at how good this is, an official team could not have done it better.

Top Bottom