• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Playstation 5

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So my console arrived a few hours ago and it's one thing seeing those unboxing videos and comparisons with other consoles and a whole different thing seeing it in person. It's like "yeah yeah I know, this thing is huge" but still it was a shock actually seeing it with my own two eyes. Even now I look at it sitting on my shelf and I'm flabbergasted and in awe with how stupidly, enormously, ridiculously LARGE this thing is. :faint:

Been playing Astro's Playroom and tested a few PS4 games so far. Astro is a very cute game and way better than it has any right to be.
The Dualsense haptic feedback is weeeeeiiird. I can...FEEL things. The surface I'm walking on, a bunch of bots tumbling around the controller etc. It's something that is hard to describe and you really need to experience it for yourself.

Tested KH3 and FFXIV as well, higher res due to PS4 Pro modes and stable 60fps due to PS5 boost, baybeee~
The Dualsense haptics emulating standard PS4 rumble feels different. Might take some time for me to get used to that.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I think Spider-Man: Miles Morales will be my first PS5 game because it's only 6 hours long. And it uses all the dumb next-gen features like haptic feedback, 3D audio, and ray-tracing. Demon's Souls looks amazing but I can't budget for a 30 hour game right now. Not alongside my ongoing FF12 playthrough.

I thought my first next-gen game would've undoubtedly been DMC5 Special Edition (it's my favorite series). But that game has some whack display issues. The big one is that if your TV has a 120hz mode, either the game or the PS5 will find that mode and use it, even if the resolution isn't ideal. For example, my TV has a 4K/60hz mode and a 1080p/120hz mode. DMC5SE will always display in the 1080p/120hz mode on my TV, even though the game itself outputs a 4k image. What's worse is that there isn't an optional 60fps cap nor does the game ever stay at its 120fps target. It'll be blurry and not smooth, the worst of both worlds.

This isn't an issue on Xbox because you can select what hz mode to prioritize on a system level. Super frustrating.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I thought my first next-gen game would've undoubtedly been DMC5 Special Edition (it's my favorite series). But that game has some whack display issues. The big one is that if your TV has a 120hz mode, either the game or the PS5 will find that mode and use it, even if the resolution isn't ideal. For example, my TV has a 4K/60hz mode and a 1080p/120hz mode. DMC5SE will always display in the 1080p/120hz mode on my TV, even though the game itself outputs a 4k image. What's worse is that there isn't an optional 60fps cap nor does the game ever stay at its 120fps target. It'll be blurry and not smooth, the worst of both worlds.
Putting my ignorance on display here, but what does all that mean in terms of results?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Astro's Playroom is so cute T_T

It's a fun trip down PlayStation memory lane and full of easter eggs and allusions to games that shaped the PS history.
This of course is my favorite one so far:

5RpYpMM.jpg

:awesomonster:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Putting my ignorance on display here, but what does all that mean in terms of results?

Yeah, so say you're walking down the street and things are silky smooth (solid 120fps). Then a bunch of enemies appear that kick up a lot of dust (i.e. alpha effects). Suddenly things aren't so smooth (~100fps). The dust settles, you rev your sword, then move the camera so only one enemy is on-screen (i.e. reduce on-screen models). Now things are pretty smooth, but not as smooth as when you were walking alone (110-120fps). The other enemies aren't having any of that and get in your face. You're fighting in the middle of all of them. Things are about as smooth as when the dust was present (100-110fps).

And this is on the high framerate mode. Some modes bring the framerate down to 40-50fps.

For an action game this isn't ideal. Give me a locked framerate, even if it's lower than what's possible. At least as an option.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

This isn't an issue on Xbox because you can select what hz mode to prioritize on a system level. Super frustrating.

Good news!

petalsbloom

Lv. 25 Adventurer
So my console arrived a few hours ago and it's one thing seeing those unboxing videos and comparisons with other consoles and a whole different thing seeing it in person. It's like "yeah yeah I know, this thing is huge" but still it was a shock actually seeing it with my own two eyes. Even now I look at it sitting on my shelf and I'm flabbergasted and in awe with how stupidly, enormously, ridiculously LARGE this thing is. :faint:

Been playing Astro's Playroom and tested a few PS4 games so far. Astro is a very cute game and way better than it has any right to be.
The Dualsense haptic feedback is weeeeeiiird. I can...FEEL things. The surface I'm walking on, a bunch of bots tumbling around the controller etc. It's something that is hard to describe and you really need to experience it for yourself.

Tested KH3 and FFXIV as well, higher res due to PS4 Pro modes and stable 60fps due to PS5 boost, baybeee~
The Dualsense haptics emulating standard PS4 rumble feels different. Might take some time for me to get used to that.

I, too, had the first impression of it.:lol: The only tiny wee-bit complaint I have is the price hike of ps5 games. It's just absurd for me.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I, too, had the first impression of it.:lol: The only tiny wee-bit complaint I have is the price hike of ps5 games. It's just absurd for me.
Truth be told, it's long overdue. New games are still cheaper now than they were in the 90s despite costing way more to make, and it's been in no small part due to pushback against the industry raising its prices that we've seen a proliferation of other practices consumers decry (e.g. games released in an incomplete state, development crunch, DLC that's vital to understanding the main game, pay-locked "DLC" on the disc itself, etc.).

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Truth be told, it's long overdue. New games are still cheaper now than they were in the 90s despite costing way more to make, and it's been in no small part due to pushback against the industry raising its prices that we've seen a proliferation of other practices consumers decry (e.g. games released in an incomplete state, development crunch, DLC that's vital to understanding the main game, pay-locked "DLC" on the disc itself, etc.).

And if raised game prices meant the end of that stuff, maybe I'd buy that. But we know that won't be the case.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Games are also going more digital meaning both less cost in production and fewer lost sales to a second-hand market. One thing that's also increased with the cost of development is the marketing budget, which is usually about as much to create the game itself (this might be necessary, I just think it's interesting).

Microtransactions have been great for increasing publisher's revenue (see Activision Blizzard), but I honestly don't think that's going to change the hardships of developers in the industry.

I'm especially cynical because I just don't care about modern 40+ hour action games or realistic graphics.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Exactly. Saved money from digital distribution and the fact that the market itself is an order of magnitude larger than it was in the 90s before even getting into the money raked in from micotransactions and crappy collectors editions makes me extremely dubious of any publishers crying poor over the static game prices.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm thinking since you can just detach the plates I might just spraypaint them myself. Maybe I'll get creative and try some stencil art. Could be fun. :D

So I actually did the thing I said I was maybe going to do and eh, you know, could be better, could be worse. :wacky:
It's a first attempt alright.

bTE5Bph.jpg

I went with a simple Buster Sword silhouette. The original plan was to use the meteor logo but, y'know, try cutting out a stencil for that shit and see how you like it. :watchingu:
It was hard and in the end I gave up and settled for something simpler :P

I used liquid rubber coating so if I end up not liking it anymore, I can literally just peel the whole thing off again:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I know Astro's Playroom is PlayStation propaganda, but so far it's the PS5 game that's made the biggest impression on me. Beyond being a charming and solid platformer, the real joy comes from stumbling across the iconic PlayStation character recreations in bot form. You basically look like this guy the whole game:

tenor (3).gif

Plus, I'm willing to bet it'll remain the best implementation of the DualSense's features for the rest of the gen lmao. The wildest parts for me were feeling the rain drops across the controller and the trigger resistance when firing the ball gun.

The level "SSD Speedway" had references to Gravity Rush, Final Fantasy VII, Vib-Ribbon, and Devil May Cry. As a fan, I felt well serviced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom