Square Enix trademarks Ever Crisis, The First Soldier, and Shinra logo in Japan

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
something that not only doesn't need it, but would actually be nothing but noise to the story and a distraction from what people legit want.
Funny. From where I'm sitting, this already happened with Remake. So much new stuff got added to an overly complicated plot didn't need it.

But it was added.

In fact. The Compilation as a whole is this. "Noise" is what Nojima and Co. seem to love adding to the OG. They've never liked it "simple".

Which so much "noise" in Remake already, more "noise" isn't going to hurt the "OG plot" anymore than it already has.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's a sweepingly broad and biased generalization right there.

I mean, equating Genesis who narratively has zero reason to appear in the Remake at all (because they essentially wrote him out) and who's inclusion would require another ridiculous tie in promotion with a scandled star who's alleged to have evaded taxes, fled to Malaysia and had an illegitimate child with a fan...

...To the FFVII Remake including relevant Compilation elements in Midgar... While still sticking true to it's roots and remaining one of the most critically acclaimed and successful FFVII titles is a pretty hot take I can't say I've heard before. Gackt doesn't even live in Japan anymore.

Pretty sure Nojima and Kitase even specifically said they carefully considered which characters and concepts from the Compilation they would include because they said they wouldn't include all of them, only the ones relevant which would compliment the main story. A man specifically fridge'd during FFVII doesn't sound like he'd apply.

And keep in mind they cancelled Olaf's Japanese dub voice actor for simply smoking weed lol so yeah

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
TIL the ONTD LJ is still active, what the fuck o__O

edit: I don't really have a coin in this discussion. I don't think the devs care about having everything fit together neatly - Genesis coming back is more or less dependent on whether they feel like it's cash or not.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
As far as I'm concerned, @Makoeyes987 can stop bringing up Gackt. Genesis is a supervillain. Supervillains have been getting deformities and/or facial scarring from burns, slashes, power-ups, or general accidents for literally decades.

Give me five minutes consulting my memory archive of comic, Super Sentai, cartoon, etc. characters, and I'm sure I could pull out a dozen of them. Hell, for quite a few characters, scarring incidents are part of their origins.

For that matter, it would take Nomura five minutes to pencil up a new generic anime pretty boy wearing the same clothes. And if they really are that concerned about another bishounen design looking too much like Gackt, there's the tried-and-true trope of the facial scarring. No one will care.

Hell, outside the CG cutscenes in CC, Genesis doesn't even appreciably resemble Gackt there more than he does several other FF characters. There's a reason people used to joke that all of Nomura's male leads are just Gackt with slightly different clothes and hair styles.

If they decide to utilize Genesis, they will. Whether they "need to" is as irrelevant as his face given the existence of the Whispers. Players would have accepted a remake with some plot alterations or updates related to more modern sensibilites just fine without bringing in time ghost plot police; if the developers weren't concerned with whether we'd accept that, I can't fathom them being concerned with whether we would accept the inclusion of an already established character who has been in two games already.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I see, so now you want Genesis to become The Red Skull Coat Nightmare, huh?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I was kidding, since you made the comparison of Genesis being a supervillain and getting around the face-thing, by either gaining a facial scar or new face.

You know, like Red Skull :monster: And both of their colors are red.

Oh yeah, and he's also a prototype Super Soldier.... That's actually kinda funny.

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Just you watch. Not only will Gackt return in his own spinoff game as the protagonist, but he’ll even be referred to as “Gackt” in-game. The story will center around him trying to make a career comeback.
AC - Advent Children
BC - Before Crisis
CC - Crisis Core
DC - Dirge of Cerberus
EC - Ever Crisis
FC - ???
GC - Gackt’s Comeback/Career/Crisis

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I mean, equating Genesis who narratively has zero reason to appear in the Remake at all (because they essentially wrote him out) and who's inclusion would require another ridiculous tie in promotion with a scandled star who's alleged to have evaded taxes, fled to Malaysia and had an illegitimate child with a fan...
Gackt's wikipedia pages don't mention anything like this at all, so I didn't know what you were talking about before. Coincidentally, I was just listening to Gackt's Last Moon and discovered one of the album's bestest songs was the theme song for Square Enix's mobile game Sangokushi Eika (3594e), where he also voices a character. Even if Gackt were cancelled, this game was released in 2014, after the dates of both those linked articles.

I'm not really interested in arguing this. I just think that if Square did want Genesis back, without much difficulty Square will bring in Gackt to continue his portrayal. Probably.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Trademarks have been filed yesterday in Europe

qNwVM4C.png
FBDssye.png

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
If they decide to utilize Genesis, they will. Whether they "need to" is as irrelevant as his face given the existence of the Whispers. Players would have accepted a remake with some plot alterations or updates related to more modern sensibilites just fine without bringing in time ghost plot police; if the developers weren't concerned with whether we'd accept that, I can't fathom them being concerned with whether we would accept the inclusion of an already established character who has been in two games already.

:joy:

waw

Pro Adventurer
I mean, equating Genesis who narratively has zero reason to appear in the Remake at all
...To the FFVII Remake including relevant Compilation elements in Midgar....

Re: Genesis Discussion

I get that Gackt helped design and develop Genesis... that whole dinner and everything. But does he actually have ownership of the character? Has that ever been stated clearly? Are we assuming American copyright laws?

I've never seen anything officially stating as such. So when it comes up that someone says "The red coat is coming" people respond with "Gackt cancelled!" my initial response is: So? No one said Gackt was coming back....

Can anyone clear this up?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Re: Genesis Discussion

I get that Gackt helped design and develop Genesis... that whole dinner and everything. But does he actually have ownership of the character? Has that ever been stated clearly? Are we assuming American copyright laws?

I've never seen anything officially stating as such. So when it comes up that someone says "The red coat is coming" people respond with "Gackt cancelled!" my initial response is: So? No one said Gackt was coming back....

Can anyone clear this up?
There's no reason to believe Gackt has any ownership of anything related to the character except his own (animu generic) face. Square Enix has even used Genesis in no less than three mobile titles over the past few years, as well as in the FF trading card game. We have zero indication that Gackt's authorization was required for any of those.

Truth be told, the copyright info on the card would have been an ideal place to mention Gackt if he had any legal claim to ownership of the character, but he's not mentioned:

3qelR60.jpg

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
at first i thought they were the same image until i realised there were two

so has the 'first soldier' one not gotten trademarked in europe yet?

square-enix has a lot of comic ip under their belt so i wonder if any of these might relate to that
Ok this explains it. It’s two pictures lol.

Top Bottom