Prism's Art and GameDev Thread

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I'm really glad to hear that, thanks. Especially coming from someone with Hylian in their name, ha.

The workflow has a few different programs in it: the Hylian Shield and Master Sword were made in 3ds Max and textured in Substance Painter.
Link's head, legs and arms were sculpted in zBrush. His hair, tunic, gloves, hat, and boots were made in 3ds Max, and will be brought into zBrush to have sculpting detail put over them. Mainly for clothing folds. Then, they'll be textured in Substance Painter as well.

Link shot in full so far:1599340824878.png

Last edited:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I had a commission job where I had to make some VN-formatted Darkstalkers portraits in the in-game style! (man...Capcom's art style is insanely intriguing to study - after doing these portraits, I have more questions than answers for how Capcom's artists in the 90s pulled off the work they did)

1602378043320.png

A glass study I did:

1602378076522.png

An anime pixel painting:

1602378224296.png

And lastly, the newest WIP I have for my next anime pixel painting thing:

1602378438814.png
(this one still has a while to go, this work in progress will be outdated in no time)

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Is there a story for the suited payphone using beach-goer? :awesome: Pretending to work from home is my guess. :monster:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Is there a story for the suited payphone using beach-goer? :awesome: Pretending to work from home is my guess. :monster:
Ha, I intentionally didn’t think it out completely to leave the imagination running, but the one I leaned the closest to was “dude went out to go to work, decided to skip it on a whim and call up his friends”
That makes it sound like some kind of bored salaryman’s fantasy. Keeping one’s youthful freedom is important in that way.

But y’know, maybe he is just pretending to work from home :P

Your work is always so good Prism, I'm a little jealous lol. That Glass study is amazing!
Thank you Ody. Rest assured, your work offers qualities only you can bring to the table! But nonetheless, that is flattering. I love glass and stuff with weird light properties.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
1602916027734.png
Some more progress on the Link piece! We're getting into the fun stuff now: clothing folds. The body is starting to feel more HD, though as usual there's more detail to go. Ocarina of Time Link's design relies quite a lot to how the tunic folds go, more-so than many other Link designs. So I've been anticipating this step for a while.

Additionally, I've made some very subtle tweaks to the hair so it looks a little more alright from the front.
1602916256310.png

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Now THAT is a compliment of a high order, I'll tell ya. I appreciate it 'cause Remake was the inspiration at multiple points during the project.

1605082122894.png
This is where he's at currently. Getting there, yet again - but not outta the woods quite yet. Expect more shots from this exact same angle later on

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I watched Porco Rosso for the first time (only Miyazaki movie I hadn't seen) and had a nice "ooooh" moment at the end :D

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Now that's fun! Needless to say, I have that frame burned into my memory.

...The ironic thing is that it is the only frame from Porco Rosso that I know, because it's also one of the handful of Miyazaki movies that I haven't seen - I was just so stricken by the composition that I wanted to study it. I will probably share that "oooh" moment.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The frame is a lingering shot at the end of the movie. I'm sure you can imagine that the ending is par for course Ghibli-bittersweet.

You picked a good one!

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I'm glad I lucked out on a meaningful frame, then. That's a pretty beautiful notion - I love sentimental lingering end shots. Now I bet the end would be something special for me, after doing that study.

1605667990646.png

1605668206774.png
1605668290126.png

In other news, I think I'm finally calling Link done! It's been a long process (and some of those earlier WIPs are really outdated, looking back - that's the nature of WIPs though)
He's no longer an eye-less demon.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Congrats! The finalized version looks amazing. Are you going to do anything with the model further on, like, posing him somehow or adding the environment?
Thanks Torrie, it’s been a long road! The funny thing is rigging a model for posing is one of the 3D skills I don’t currently have, lol. But scenery and poses are on the table for the future, as well as more character models. I have a few scenes from OoT I’d wanna recreate sometime.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I've come to this thread a number of times, and just now realized I've never said anything. Allow me to remedy that.

I love your art. The pixel art in particular. I've always been a big fan of pixel art, but yours really scratches that itch, you know?

Are you still working on that game you mentioned?

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I've come to this thread a number of times, and just now realized I've never said anything. Allow me to remedy that.

I love your art. The pixel art in particular. I've always been a big fan of pixel art, but yours really scratches that itch, you know?

Are you still working on that game you mentioned?
Thanks! I still have gratitude for the appreciation from afar, but hearing specific comments is also nice - those are pretty kind words. I gear my own pixel art to be the kind I'd always like seeing in games, and a lot of my inspiration comes from the SNES / GBA era. Thanks again!

I am still working on it, though I'm putting a lot of time into making sure the fundamentals are right. The engine will be pretty demanding for an amateur programmer like me, but I'm optimistic. (platforming will be a huge focus, so I'm trying to get a sustainable way to do 3D gameplay geared for a 2D projection...my current programming focus is getting raycast collisions to work, as they're more reliable than Unity's base physics)

To prepare for it, I programmed a small Apple Archery game that uses a third axis, though it was done through a different method than the one I'm trying to implement for the big RPG project.
5imga7O.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom