My First MMO: Tet's Eorzean Adventures [FFXIV]

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Btw my last instance was that one with Alphinaud and Gaius nobody.

Salty as fuck

Lex

Administrator
You go and explore the world, little Chocobro. I'm rooting for you.

You can actually see him out in the open world running around. I think he cycles through set places, but you may run into him now and again now that you've finished the Omega raids.

It was that damned mechanic where one half of the arena is black and the other white and it shows a moon symbol above your character. I'm not sure whether you're supposed to stay on the corresponding or opposite color it shows you because I feel like I tried both and still died every time? :P

A lot of people don't catch this but basically you need to just keep switching sides. Standing on one half too long gives you a debuff that stacks. If you get more than 3 stacks of one of them you die, so you get 1 or 2 then switch to the other side long enough for that to overwrite the debuff with its own and repeat throughout the fight. Just for future reference :)

Eventually I realized - I had it set so that only enemies could be targeted while my weapon is drawn.

And I would recommend you go back to this. When you're healing in this game on controller, you press the D-Pad up/down and it automatically cycles through your party list - this is how people heal on controller (and it feels surprisingly good).

However this doesn't work for NPC's or anyone not listed in the party menu so yeah, it's a bit of a bitch to target specific players on controller.

You can leave "allow targeting NPC's during combat" on - there's a function that allows you to select the priority of who you auto-target when you press X. I have mine set Enemies - NPC's - Other Players or something like that and I never have issues.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
So that Shadowhunter guy that showed up...
My first instinct was to say "That's Gaius van Baelsar!" I don't know how that would be possible but life uh, finds a way. That gunblade certainly looks like it could be his...I think?
Would explain how he knows of the Scions. And also the fact that he seems to have a grudge against Ascians. Considering last time he was in league with one it ended in such devastation (which was not his intention)
Your suspicious are correct.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Well that was faster than expected.

I was just doing a sidequest chain in Mor Dhona and look who I run into

dFl10Am.png

:D

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Okay so that Four Lords questline was enjoyable. Trials were fun but also you get a storyline with a bunch of talking animals and they're all adorable T__T
I'm glad I made sure I checked in on all the animals (or auspices rather) because some of them do funny bits that change with each quest :3
I especially like the adorable Shiba Inu who's like "YEAH I SLAUGHTERED COUNTLESS MEN FEAR ME" or somesuch :P

The plan was to do Ivalice but then got sidetracked by this. I didn't even know there was another questline with more trials in Stormblood and such until Lex asked me whether I had done those already :monster:

According to Lex I'm apparently a decent Ninja. Senpai noticed me UwU
Maybe I can become Hokage after all

We only managed to get the first Ivalice raid done. It got late and I got too tired to have to deal with all the cutscenes so I called it a night
I liked the part where you find this underground city though, looked awesome. Too bad you can't really stop to smell the roses in a 24-man raid lol
Need an explore mode for these stat

P.S.
Ramza is a bit of a cunt isn't he

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The best part of that underground city view for us Tactics fans is it looks exactly like the picture of Lesalia that comes up when you select it on the Tactics world map <3
(The nier raids have explore modes which is nice.)

And yeah this Ramza does not well represent his namesake.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
One of my favorite things about these Ivalice story bits is that they satisfy the chronology misunderstanding FFXII's English localization left many of us with.

The original Ivalice's chronology is meant to have FFXII in the past relative to FFTactics, but the English localization of XII offered an account that dictated precisely the opposite. Meanwhile, the "Return to Ivalice" story in XIV explicitly makes Tactics come first for XIV's version of Ivalice. :monster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
There was no Great Cataclysm that nearly destroyed the Ivalice of Hydaelyn, right?

I think that's another reason why a reversal of chronology works so much better.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
One of my favorite things about these Ivalice story bits is that they satisfy the chronology misunderstanding FFXII's English localization left many of us with.

The original Ivalice's chronology is meant to have FFXII in the past relative to FFTactics, but the English localization of XII offered an account that dictated precisely the opposite. Meanwhile, the "Return to Ivalice" story in XIV explicitly makes Tactics come first for XIV's version of Ivalice. :monster:

If only it solved the actual Ivalice, lol. I did think for a second that Matsuno was using XIV to make a definitive statement and place XIV completely in that timeline. I'm glad it wasn't quite that bold, lol. If only because I think it does make more sense for XII to be in the past relative to Tactics.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
All the Ivalice references go over my head for the most part, I'm just here to kill things :wacky:

...I hope I get to kill Ramza. :awesome:
One of the characters called him an insufferable prick. Good. He seems a bit racist. Even towards moogles. MOOGLES.
how dare he :@

But mostly though I just wanna get to the Nier Automata raids in ShB. Hoping for some good shit. Especially because the inclusion seems a bit bananas compared to something like Ivalice which is at least still FF.

I wonder if Yoko Taro will make you delete your account or something :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The FFXII and Tactics stuff in FFXIV has nothing to do with the actual FFXII and Tactics. Mainly because everyone's relationships are... a lot different. As are their loyalties. Return to Ivalice is basicly Matsuno writing fan-fic of his own games.
Ashe and Rasler are twins... and they both died when Garlemald took over Ivalice.
Ba'gamnin was loyal to the Ivalician royal family and Ashe died in his arms (which is why he hates Garlemald so much).
Bash was Noah's *father* and swore loyalty to the Garlean Empire and ruled Ivalice during the ocupation.
Fran is a major leader in one of the Ivalician resistance groups.

Ramza and his fellow Zodiac Braves don't exactly die... they instead stick around as Lucavi to make sure no one can get to Ultima, the High Seraph who can't defeat her.
Historical Ramza and Delita were genuinely good friends and Delita *hates* that he had to declare Ramza a heretic in the end.
Alma and Orran Durai are in a romantic relationship by the end and have a kid together. It's implied the church never finds out what they think because Delita got Ramza declared a heretic instead.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
The FFXII and Tactics stuff in FFXIV has nothing to do with the actual FFXII and Tactics. Mainly because everyone's relationships are... a lot different. As are their loyalties. Return to Ivalice is basicly Matsuno writing fan-fic of his own games.
Ashe and Rasler are twins... and they both died when Garlemald took over Ivalice.
Ba'gamnin was loyal to the Ivalician royal family and Ashe died in his arms (which is why he hates Garlemald so much).
Bash was Noah's *father* and swore loyalty to the Garlean Empire and ruled Ivalice during the ocupation.
Fran is a major leader in one of the Ivalician resistance groups.

Ramza and his fellow Zodiac Braves don't exactly die... they instead stick around as Lucavi to make sure no one can get to Ultima, the High Seraph who can't defeat her.
Historical Ramza and Delita were genuinely good friends and Delita *hates* that he had to declare Ramza a heretic in the end.
Alma and Orran Durai are in a romantic relationship by the end and have a kid together. It's implied the church never finds out what they think because Delita got Ramza declared a heretic instead.
Though it’s later revealed by the end of the Ivalice raids that
FFXIV!Ashe actually survived and is part of the resistance with Fran (also making her somewhat older than her FFXII counterpart).

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
*tilts hand*

Kinda.
We have no idea who the actual leader is... only that she's young.... and inexperienced... and female. Which suggests that she *isn't* Ashe... but rather someone claiming to be Ashe's descendant.

Ramza
I still do not understand. Why would Lady Fran send Forename on this wild paissa chase if she knew from the start it would be for naught?

Linamewrilah
Bwagi mentioned something about Fran proving a point to their leader...whomever that may be.

Jenomis
People in positions of power can prove both naive and stubborn creatures. Simply telling a leader she is wrong may not convince her of the fact. Seeing one's own plan fail, however, is oft the best medicine.

Linamewrilah
Naive and stubborn? Then the resistance is doomed!

Montblanc
If a person as imposing as Fran is taking orders from her, then chances are this “leader” is even worse, kupo!

Jenomis
I would not be so certain, Montblanc.
My guess is that the individual in question is still quite young and inexperienced, and that Lady Fran is trying to teach her to be an effective leader through example.
By allowing her to make her own mistakes, Fran is granting her the ability to learn and grow from them─an experience that will ultimately benefit her when the time comes to make some truly difficult decisions.
Now, I seem to recall reading that one of the many faces of the resistance before the recent quelling was a young girl of royal blood. Do you suppose─

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
*tilts hand*

Kinda.
We have no idea who the actual leader is... only that she's young.... and inexperienced... and female. Which suggests that she *isn't* Ashe... but rather someone claiming to be Ashe's descendant.
Hmmm
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Ashelia_B'nargin_Dalmasca_(Final_Fantasy_XIV)
Except there is also dialogue during the Ivalice quests that discusses rumor of someone claiming to be the princess leading the rebellions and Fran even refer's to the leader of their group as "Princess".

While that doesn't disqualify it from being FFXIV!Ashe's daughter, I think Occam's Razor points to it being Ashe herself, as while FFXIV!Ashe would be older than her FFXII counterpart, I don't she would be considered "old" either age-wise.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I did the Hildibrand quests :awesomonster:

While enjoyable and ridiculous as usual I think I'd rate the Stormblood quests lower than the previous ones. Needed more Godbert, honestly. :monster:
Jim turning out to be Greg was kind of spoiled for me in advance but the trial was good fun anyway. "The time has come and so have I!" Gilgamesh knows DMC4 memes confirmed lol

As for the MSQ, the Ascians are back in focus and I love it. Of course they'd essentially be the la-li-lu-le-lo of Garlemald, pulling the strings and shit

And oh, would you look at that. Person I assumed to be Gaius turns out to be Gaius. I still feel his explanation of survival was a bit handwavey, lol.
The place blew the hell up! Like what, did you have an asspull escape tunnel like Rufus Shinra?? :awesome:
Anyway...

Convenient that the energy barrier didn't actually destroy the airship that delivered Alphinaud. That...would have been embarassing. :monster:

All the Scions are falling unconscious with their souls seemingly getting pulled somewhere. I've already been aware that you visit the First in Shadowbringers so it's not exactly a mystery what's happening here, heh. :P

The scene where they all parlay with Emperor Varis was so tense. It's also a bad look when the bad emperor guy calls you out on your own hypocrisy. Like when Merlwyb was saying something about not attacking other people for their shit or whatever I immediately remembered how she herself admitted being the instigator of the Kobold conflicts back in ARR.
And of course, the emperor shut her down because he knew this too. Whoops! :monster:

The Ghimlyt Dark was a cool dungeon to end things on. Well not really a dungeon so much as an actual warzone! There was tons of shit happening in the background and other main characters fighting alongside the player party, pretty dope.
And then also getting a one-on-one duel against "Zenos" afterwards (but not before briefly giving you control of Hien. That seems to be a pattern now and I like it)

The whole thing with the splinter worlds and the warriors of darkness fighting against a deluge of light, the Ascians, all that stuff from the Heavensward patches was actually way more intriguing to me than the main story of HW itself so I'm excited that this is seemingly coming back into full focus now. I've been playing all through the night just wanting to see the story continue here. When I had to queue for the dungeon, normally this is where I would've called it a night because I don't wanna deal with the middle-of-the-night queue times but this time I was like "no, I wanna see where this goes *now*!"

The ending credits displaying character art was a nice touch. Making ending credits look nice is underappreciated tbh :monster:

So that's a wrap on Stormblood. And with that, my sprout icon is now officially gone...
It only took nine months for me to not be considered a "new adventurer" anymore :wacky:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The Shadowbringers opening CG is rad. Pretty different vibe from the other ones.

Immediately enjoying the feeling of being in a completely different and alien world. Trippy colors everywhere! Swirly skies!

I meet the Crystal Exarch who is totally absolutely not G'raha Tia and he lets me into the Crystarium and dang, what a city. Actually kind of reminds me of some kind of fancy mall :wacky:
Love the way the light shines through the glass domes and the way shadows are cast onto everything. I spent half an hour just slow walking through this place in first person, taking it all in.

Now off to find the rest of the Scions who've been chilling here for years apparently due to timey-wimey shenanigans which conveniently are currently not happening although I already suspect upon completion of the story and returning to Eorzea for the next expansion or something it'll be like "oh it's been ten years since you left, everything's gone to shit in the meantime" or something.

Lex

Administrator
Tets I can't believe you've finally made it to Shadowbringers, I'm so excited!

The Crystarium is still set as my home point, it's my favourite city in the game now. I tend to run around and idle there while I'm waiting for things to pop or if I'm crafting.

We'll finish off the Ivalice 24-mans soon - Carlie has also unlocked them so she can do the first one then join up with us for the other two :)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I did ping ya on Discord at least :awesomonster:

Posing with a moogle, because why wouldn't you

HIdThHU.png

Mature humor in Castrum Meridianum:

tUSNhU4.jpg

That makeup does not go with that outfit, sorry Hildi.

4bdIN1g.jpg

Jim!

UyTWTvi.png

No wait, it was Greg all along!

CiPVpOX.png

Okay, the sleeping under the bench bit is pretty funny...but how tf did they get underneath though?

HpHHwza.jpg

Tomestones really are just smartphones, aren't they.

z1EO2po.png

(I lol'd at my characters look of utter despair upon seeing those are a thing in the First as well. "What, I gotta grind for this shit here too??")

For my first MSQs here I chose Ahm Araeng (no idea if I spelled that right). At first I just thought "cool crystal mountains in the background" until I got closer and realized the "Flood" of light was quite literally a tidal wave.

hXnvqPC.jpg

Kde510B.jpg

The vertical images were actually taken by tilting the camera 90°, so for the optimal viewing experience, rotate the image to the side and tilt your head accordingly. Or your display :wackymonster:

I reunited with Alisaie and uh, damn at that Tesleen person getting turned into one of those sin eaters. That was actually kind of horrifying?
The sin eaters and their angelic appearance are giving me slight Bayonetta vibes. When's part 3, Nintendo?? D<

Also, I assume I'm two years late with this joke, but...

Can we say that Shadowbringers is literally First World problems? :desucait:

Top Bottom