The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Endwalker - 6.45]

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
It's the classic translation mix up. The Japanese word used for the Planet, "hoshi", is also used for *any* heavenly body. Including stars. So "traveling the Planet" and "traveling the "stars" would use the same Japanese words. And the context would indicate what to use. And in the case of FFVII, it's very obvious it means "Planet" when it comes to the Cetra.

It's worth pointing out English started out with only one word for all heavenly bodies and well (star) and then added in another word for the "wandering stars" from French (would become "Planet"). So there is precedence in English for this too.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It's the classic translation mix up. The Japanese word used for the Planet, "hoshi", is also used for *any* heavenly body. Including stars. So "traveling the Planet" and "traveling the "stars" would use the same Japanese words. And the context would indicate what to use. And in the case of FFVII, it's very obvious it means "Planet" when it comes to the Cetra.

It's worth pointing out English started out with only one word for all heavenly bodies and well (star) and then added in another word for the "wandering stars" from French (would become "Planet"). So there is precedence in English for this too.
Yeah, maybe they aren't taking context into account.
Cetra didn't travel the stars, no. They traveled the planet.
That's what I thought/think too, but the other person seems to think otherwise. Maybe they think the theory described on FFVII Citadel ( http://www.ff7citadel.com/secrets/s_space.shtml ) was confirmed (along with misunderstanding the context use of Hoshi).

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Basically what Obs said, but also:

"We who are born of the planet, with her we speak. Her flesh we shape. Unto her promised land shall we one day return. By her loving grace and providence may we take our place in paradise."

There's a few passages like that which speak of the Cetra as born of the planet or being children of the planet.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Holy fucking shit

Holy fuck

Holy fucking shit

That was me in the entire trailer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the melee dps is an Ascian-like job

and lol those race of humanoid elephants are a great nod to Romancing Saga III.

Also the music gave me strong Batman trailer vibes.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It was never even really a translation mix-up. It was just flat-out misinterpreting "Cetra was a itinerant race. They would migrate in, settle the Planet, then move on..."; Aerith tells us "All I know is... The Cetra were born from the Planet, speak with the Planet, and unlock the Planet."

Now, I suppose the translator could have written "settle the land" or "settle the area" -- but folks could have also just taken into account the context of the rest of the game. XD Even supposing that the story was meaning to contrast that understanding against what Aerith said ... Aerith was the one who was shown to be an Ancient, not Sephiroth, so deferring to her would make the most sense.

Lex

Administrator
I randomly downloaded the game on PS5 today because I forgot I had a Shadowbringers code for PS4 and wanted to see how it ran.

I haven't logged in on console since 2015. I'll still primarily play on PC but it's kinda hilarious because its allowed me to get the platinum trophy (counts for things like "craft x number" are retained on the ffxiv server).

So you have this really hilarious disparity in my trophy list where I obtained half of them over the course of a year from the game's release in 2013-2014 when I beat coil T5 while it was current, and the other half (the grindy ones) today in the space of an hour.

Because the game's in-game achievement system keeps track of all this, you have to do one of each thing to kind of prompt the system to realise you've passed the number. So for example I had to do one fate, which got me the trophy for 1000 fates. Gather/ craft one thing with each class, which got me the trophy for doing 1000 of those things - so on and so forth. I've screenshotted my first and last trophies:

18:35 on the 27th of August 2013 to 21:05 on 14th February 2021.

Longest time to platinum ever? :3

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Heh, that's funny because a while back I was looking at your trophy list and wondered whether you'd have fulfilled the platinum requirements by now and if you'd get them all at once if you ever logged in on console again. Now I know :awesomonster:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
That was actually pretty well done.

It has Viera's tits, quality content.

Honestly, seeing people doing all kind of activities together while we are on covid era is depressing...

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Stop making me cry. I was about to go replay the Dark Knight quests from start to finish (yey for New Game+ which means I don't have to do that on an other character).

In all seriousness... Ishikawa is one of the best writers at SE when it comes to making a new story out of old concepts/references. All without making the old concepts feel like they *needed* to be "updated" or the new story feel like it's being new for the sake of being new.

This is going to be good...

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
After getting to 5.1 by the start of March, it was suddenly decided that I'd have to go to Denmark for work with no date to come back (could be in a couple of weeks or a couple of months... and even then, I'd be home for 10 days at most). I had 6 days to prepare my stuff and accomplish my primary goal of reaching 5.4. I'm caught up with the story, but I still need to unlock Bozja and finish Eden... I'm sure there's other stuff, although I've done most if not all of the sidequests since I usually did everything that popped up that was available to me. I think the only things I've unlocked which I haven't finish are those I mentioned, plus the Moogle letter delivery and the Scholasticate.

Anyway. So I'm in Denmark now and naturally, I didn't take my TV or my PS4 with me. Missing FFXIV a lot, actually. No time to play, too, because of all the work. So that means investing in the game on computer may not make that sense. Besides, took a laptop with me so I'm not sure how much I'd suck playing wth keyboard and mouse pad (spoiler: a lot). Ahhh, I just want to get back home and play!!

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
All this time I've played a ninja and only now did I get the most obvious idea for a glamour.

GET OVER HERE!

BqR5oti.png

QmeVEo5.png

z8zHxjX.png

n6K31Bl.png

Top Bottom