• Start date

Sephiroth Crescent

Way Ahead of the Plot
tumblr_o3chxs2BLq1uetr35o4_400.gifv
tumblr_o3chxs2BLq1uetr35o1_400.gifv
tumblr_o3chxs2BLq1uetr35o3_400.gifv
tumblr_o3chxs2BLq1uetr35o2_400.gifv

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The Dark Messenger is one of the best final boss tracks.

Kuja fucking slaps.

Really surprised you didn't comment on the revelation of how "the cycle of souls" work in FFIX. I'm sure it sounded familiar. :monster:

It's a very real and interesting thematic link between FFVII and FFIX that was purposefully done because Sakaguchi really loved the concept as an expression of how life, death and experiences pass on and are never forgotten. That fantasy mechanic and lore exists in another game in the series, and it's one that's extremely popular.

FFVII, FFIX, and FFX are the trio of games that represent the expression of the importance of life, death and it's cycling into one another to create new life. FFX is another amazing game and it's one that carries a lot of real emotion that not even a thousand words could convey. I love IX and others a bit more than it but it'd be wrong to say it's not extremely good and touching. You'd enjoy it and what comes after a lot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13557

Finished.

Watching these credits, and remembering everything I went through in this game... While this beautiful song is playing.

That ending, man! I said to myself during the ending performance, "that cloaked dude is so Zidane", and even still, the reveal was super impactful. They embraced, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Vivi isn't only my favourite FF character so far, but he's favourite character in gaming period. That series of text, followed by the unveiling of his children, followed by him saying goodbye. Vivi stopped, but he found his purpose, learned about himself, grew, and his memories will live on, dammit!

Do I have any issues with this game? Eh, not really. Besides Amarant being a bit whatever story wise, he was fine enough in the gameplay department. I guess it'll get pretty grindy as I go to 100% it, but I don't really mind.

I like this a little bit more than FF VII. Shoot me. It's funny, because I prefer Sephiroth to Kuja, and I prefer the gameplay mechanics from FF VII, but the big picture of FF IX ultimately beats out any materia combination, or any alien bullshit VII could ever throw at me. I still adore VII, don't get me wrong, but I feel like IX has earned a very special place in my heart.

I can't wait to 100% this.

The inclusion of a movie gallery rules.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You really do wear your heart on your sleeve, don't you? :awesome:

Hehe, if IX and Vivi touched you this deeply I eagerly await to see you play the other games. I can't imagine what you'd think of FFVI or FFX. You've got a lot of ground to cover. :monster:

Vivi is one of the most popular and memorable FF characters out there for a reason. His end was touching and painful. But, his.... Legacy is quite amusing and mysterious. No one really knows to this day how the fuck he created "children" but it's cute and a nice epilogue to his life.

I'm really, really shocked you didn't comment on the actual final boss. Usually people comment or rather ask questions about it xD

100% FFIX is rough given the numerous collectibles and instances of missable items. Oh, and are you gonna shoot for Excalibur II? Good luck if you do, cause you gotta go fast. :monster:

D

Deleted member 13557

You really do wear your heart on your sleeve, don't you? :awesome:
Yes. Game made me feel things.
Sometimes I express said feelings so much that it's more like my heart is at my feet, Jenova style.

Hehe, if IX and Vivi touched you this deeply I eagerly await to see you play the other games. I can't imagine what you'd think of FFVI or FFX.
Looking forward to it!

100% FFIX is rough given the numerous collectibles and instances of missable items. Oh, and are you gonna shoot for Excalibur II? Good luck if you do, cause you gotta go fast. :monster:
I'll do it all eventually. That goes for every game.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah... what the hell was that thing?

I know, right? What the hell is it?

It's... Necron! It's the embodiment of death that exists in opposition to life and wishes to return everything to "zero." Kuja's strong feelings of despair as he attempted to break the Crystal woke it up and it just wanted to throw down because why the fuck not. :monster:

That's it. Originally Hades would have been the final boss but they thought his design wasn't striking enough for a final boss so they did Necron instead.

It's a Giant Space Flea From Nowhere.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
One thing you'll learn about Final Fantasy final bosses from VI and up is they all love to become divine beings.

Sephiroth did it best. Ironically, he was not the first but let's just say he stole the show quite effectively and ran with it. But yes, that's a recurring... Theme of final boss designs in a lot of games. Not all modern ones, there are memorable ones that subvert it and go somewhere... Else.

In FFs 1 to 5 you'll notice a different type of aesthetic which is sorta interesting and fitting. The classics are all about killing the devil. And the modern era is all about killing god :monster:

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Finished.

Watching these credits, and remembering everything I went through in this game... While this beautiful song is playing.

That ending, man! I said to myself during the ending performance, "that cloaked dude is so Zidane", and even still, the reveal was super impactful. They embraced, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Vivi isn't only my favourite FF character so far, but he's favourite character in gaming period. That series of text, followed by the unveiling of his children, followed by him saying goodbye. Vivi stopped, but he found his purpose, learned about himself, grew, and his memories will live on, dammit!

Do I have any issues with this game? Eh, not really. Besides Amarant being a bit whatever story wise, he was fine enough in the gameplay department. I guess it'll get pretty grindy as I go to 100% it, but I don't really mind.

I like this a little bit more than FF VII. Shoot me. It's funny, because I prefer Sephiroth to Kuja, and I prefer the gameplay mechanics from FF VII, but the big picture of FF IX ultimately beats out any materia combination, or any alien bullshit VII could ever throw at me. I still adore VII, don't get me wrong, but I feel like IX has earned a very special place in my heart.

I can't wait to 100% this.

The inclusion of a movie gallery rules.

MY BROTHER!

My friend preferred it as well, ONE OF US!

My guess is an amalgamation of souls?
I still like the idea that it's the true form of the Lifa tree, makes sense to me.
One thing you'll learn about Final Fantasy final bosses from VI and up is they all love to become divine beings.

All JRPG'S have to end with you killing god afterall.

Nier: Automata did it best.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Okay.

So.

Necron.

Necron is what there was before the universe was created, not death, but rather, the complete absence of life.

Necron’s function in the universe is to remind it that it was not always so. And one day, all will revert and be as it was. Necron is entropy itself.

Necron is the anti-crystal, and thus is the true final boss for the Final Fantasy multiverse. When Kuja sought to hasten the death of existence by destroying the crystal, Necron saw that as proof that existence ultimately longed for its own demise, and sent his avatar to finish what Kuja began.

Necron remains undefeated in the end, but destroys his own avatar when Kuja saves the party, because Kuja is choosing life. Necron returns to wait out his inevitable victory. Your victory, meanwhile, is pyrrhic. Much as the personal step of choosing to live, and suffer, instead of choosing death, doesn’t stop you from dying one day.

Think of the fight against Necron as a thematic struggle against your own existential despair. Even though you will eventually go. You cannot ever give up.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Okay.

So.

Necron.

Necron is what there was before the universe was created, not death, but rather, the complete absence of life.

Necron’s function in the universe is to remind it that it was not always so. And one day, all will revert and be as it was. Necron is entropy itself.

Necron is the anti-crystal, and thus is the true final boss for the Final Fantasy multiverse. When Kuja sought to hasten the death of existence by destroying the crystal, Necron saw that as proof that existence ultimately longed for its own demise, and sent his avatar to finish what Kuja began.

Necron remains undefeated in the end, but destroys his own avatar when Kuja saves the party, because Kuja is choosing life. Necron returns to wait out his inevitable victory. Your victory, meanwhile, is pyrrhic. Much as the personal step of choosing to live, and suffer, instead of choosing death, doesn’t stop you from dying one day.

Think of the fight against Necron as a thematic struggle against your own existential despair. Even though you will eventually go. You cannot ever give up.

giphy.gif

only kidding :desucait:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
giphy.gif

only kidding :desucait:

Ha! I knew you’d make some kinda fart noise but that was *chef’s kiss*

FFIX’s “problem” with the final boss gauntlet is that there’s no plot-based reason to have one. The only thing wrong with the world is a flying furry twink having a temper tantrum. The “boss gauntlet” includes a random snake monster that doesn’t even get its own boss theme. Kuja’s all “I can’t believe you killed Deathguise!” Like lol fuckin who?

If I could redo the boss gauntlet, I would replace Deathguise with a Neo-Soulcage to start. Soulcage was the Iifa tree’s guardian who taunts the party: “I have seen my death, and it is not here.” You then proceed to kill him (lol) and stop the mist, but the mist comes back with a vengeance at the start of Disc 4. The explanation is that without Terra around anymore, the Iifa tree is... going berserk? Having a Neo-Soulcage who knows he is about to die, but fights on anyway, would be a good way to start the gauntlet because that’s essentially what the party decides to do with Necron (yes I would keep Necron).

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The boss gauntlet in Memoria are past memorable monsters of FF. Including, the Four Fiends from Final Fantasy.

Lich, Kraken, Maliris, and Tiamat. The Four Guardians of Terra were weaker, pre-evolution forms of the original Four Fiends from the first Final Fantasy, reborn from the Crystal by Kuja to serve as his guardians. They do carry significance given FFIX is a huge love-letter to the entire series and draws on all the past FFs as inspiration for its setting.

Deathguise is actually a mistranslation of Deathgaze, one of the sealed demons of FFVI. The precursor to Ultima Weapon's role in FFVII, being too strong to kill in one battle, so you gotta chase it in the airship and fight it over and over, until you kill it for good. Kuja pulled that out of the Crystal's memories too. Another strong monster that's meant to represent past memorable monsters of FF.

The Nova Dragon that stood guard of Memoria proper is actually named "Shinryu" in the Japanese release. I'm sure it goes without saying who and what Shinryu is in FF lore.

Memoria is basically one big past reunion of memorable and powerful FF creatures uniting to crush Zidane and co.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The boss gauntlet in Memoria are past memorable monsters of FF. Including, the Four Fiends from Final Fantasy.

Lich, Kraken, Maliris, and Tiamat. The Four Guardians of Terra were weaker, pre-evolution forms of the original Four Fiends from the first Final Fantasy, reborn from the Crystal by Kuja to serve as his guardians. They do carry significance given FFIX is a huge love-letter to the entire series and draws on all the past FFs as inspiration for its setting.

Yeah that's great and all, but Pandemonium reusing the fiend models for a third time was a little :hohum: Come on, guys, lol.
It's not even like IV where the fiends have some character to them.

Top Bottom