• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

"Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography: TURKS - The Kids Are Alright"

I think it's Rufus she invited, and Rufus who's saying he doesn't envy Evan. At first glance it's an odd thing to say, since Rufus is the acknowledged son and heir and the one with all the money. Evan, however, has freedom and doesn't carry the burden of the Shinra legacy. Evan also had a mother around who loved him dearly; he grew up in the certainty that he was loved. Rufus denying envy of Evan implies that in many ways it would be better to be Evan than to be Rufus.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I agree with you - Kadaj is more terrifying, and the Turks are more frightening, in this story than in AC. I wonder if that's because written fiction can do something video can't so easily do: take us inside a character's head.
I wonder if he can get away with more in novels becuse they aren't aimed at such a wide market. AC is the weakest part of it's own little trifecta of OTWTAS, TKAA, and itself because it feels much more obligated to fulfill a checklist of criteria.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I think it's Rufus she invited, and Rufus who's saying he doesn't envy Evan. At first glance it's an odd thing to say, since Rufus is the acknowledged son and heir and the one with all the money. Evan, however, has freedom and doesn't carry the burden of the Shinra legacy. Evan also had a mother around who loved him dearly; he grew up in the certainty that he was loved. Rufus denying envy of Evan implies that in many ways it would be better to be Evan than to be Rufus.
Seems like he’s also being snarky since he knows Evan is tremendously jealous of him.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo

So, I have the novel with me and it is explicitly referring to Reno, not Rufus, just to clarify.

Attachments

• 20210420_152444.jpg
    20210420_152444.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210420_152518.jpg
    20210420_152518.jpg
    885.4 KB · Views: 9

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
I wonder if he can get away with more in novels becuse they aren't aimed at such a wide market. AC is the weakest part of it's own little trifecta of OTWTAS, TKAA, and itself because it feels much more obligated to fulfill a checklist of criteria.

I sure hope so. I really REALLY enjoyed the novels. I couldn't put it TKAA down once I started reading it. The only problem I see with more novels is it may be financially difficult for Nojima to publish them. For the amount of effort it takes to write a novel, I can't imagine Square gets much of a return for the very same reasons that the novels are great - because it doesn't feel obligated to fulfill a checklist of criteria. In other words, the novels aren't probably a huge money maker for Square so they probably won't invest too much time in them. I sure hope I'm wrong though.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It's Rufus saying he's not jealous.
"Reno said it was a great idea. And then he actually called me. Your brother I mean." He/brother meaning Rufus. Everything "he" says after that is from Rufus.
Correct. Also, Rufus is quoting Evan himself back at Evan there, as Evan previously told Rufus that he doesn't envy him at all (while it was obvious to both of them that he did).

So Rufus is acknowledging -- with an inside joke -- that they actually envy one another.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
Correct. Also, Rufus is quoting Evan himself back at Evan there, as Evan previously told Rufus that he doesn't envy him at all (while it was obvious to both of them that he did).

So Rufus is acknowledging -- with an inside joke -- that they actually envy one another.

It's Rufus saying he's not jealous.
"Reno said it was a great idea. And then he actually called me. Your brother I mean." He/brother meaning Rufus. Everything "he" says after that is from Rufus. From there I have to agree with Lic's analysis on the meaning behind the envy.

Ohh!!!! Thanks that makes a whole lot of sense now!

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo

Now that I realize that "brother" was referring to Rufus, what you said makes total sense. Thank you!

Chocobo Eater

Pro Adventurer
I wonder what Rufus really thinks of Evan. I mean... it's sort of implied that he envies him in the end, and he seems to care about him more than the Turks do, excluding Reno. But on the other hand, he's perfectly okay risking Evan's life to get what he wants (Jenova).

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I wonder if Evan reminds him of a younger self.

I wonder what Rufus really thinks of Evan. I mean... it's sort of implied that he envies him in the end, and he seems to care about him more than the Turks do, excluding Reno. But on the other hand, he's perfectly okay risking Evan's life to get what he wants (Jenova).
I think that’s because he’s a true risk/benefit kinda guy. Evan will die anyway if that head gets into the wrong hands.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I bought the English edition of this three years ago and only just now got around to reading it whoops :monster:

This was a pretty decent read tbh. I know Kyrie and Leslie originated here but the Remake was kind of my first proper exposure to them, it's interesting how different they are in this. Kyrie is such a brat in Remake, good to see she cleans up her act and becomes likeable :P

Kadaj was actually kind of scary in this. Well, until Kyrie and Evan "killed" him by playing "Go fetch!" lmao
I'm convinced if you yelled "Look behind you, it's Mother!" at Kadaj, it would work as a distraction every single time. Use Mother against Kadaj. It's super effective.

RIP Fabio and Keough. Such a weird anticlimactic way to go out. Rude shoulda taken that dynamite stick to the face. Surprising that they don't get dynamite thrown at them every day considering what they did in the service of Shinra. All Shinra Are Bastards, I'll never not be convinced otherwise. :monster:

The Red XIII cameo felt super random and kind of unnecessary.

Top Bottom