• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Translated Interviews from the Kaitai Shinsho (AKA Dismantled) Complete Guide

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
First bit is talking about his physical appearance. Second bit is painting the picture of tseng as a Turk being very professional and serious (also his sense of duty, or giri if you're weeb enough) even when doing dirty work, then contrasts it by saying that as a person hes very kind (or compassionate or whatever word you prefer) to the extent that it sometimes bothers him but of courseee he doesn't show other people see that side of him cause character tropes.

Last edited:
I can't tell you how many different names I've heard from different languages for Tseng's dot, or how many different claims for his Earth ethnicity. Canon doesn't even tell us he's from Wutai. That's mere fanon, but a lot of people think it's canon, on the basis that Wutai = China and Tseng looks vaguely Chinese and has a Chinese name.

Personally, I like to think he's from Turkmenistan.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Hadrian_x_Antinous over in Reddit posted these fan translations of the Mind entries they found floating around somewhere. These were the ones I bulleted interesting bits of in an earlier post. A very fun read!

Edit: It looks like it's missing all the chapters not pertaining to Cloud's romances. Still some good stuff in there. The translator dials up Matsuyama's Cloud–Aerith shipping even more, so be prepared for that!

Edit 2: Looks like OP is going to translate the other half of the entries, so stay tuned to that thread if you're interested!

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Aerith said:
In short, he (Hojo) wanted a hybrid from RedXIII and... Oh forget it, I don't want to talk about it. Anyway Professor Hojo is absolutely a weirdo!

For someone nearly forced to fuck an as of yet to be identified quadruped for interspecies breeding, Aerith surprisingly took the whole experience in stride.

She truly is the strongest party member in the game.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Hadrian_x_Antinous over in Reddit posted these fan translations of the Mind entries they found floating around somewhere. These were the ones I bulleted interesting bits of in an earlier post. A very fun read!

Edit: It looks like it's missing all the chapters not pertaining to Cloud's romances. Still some good stuff in there. The translator dials up Matsuyama's Cloud–Aerith shipping even more, so be prepared for that!

Edit 2: Looks like OP is going to translate the other half of the entries, so stay tuned to that thread if you're interested!
Reddit is banned in my country I NEVER KNOW WHY
Could you please just share it here?

Thenir

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nirnaeth
Reddit is banned in my country I NEVER KNOW WHY
Could you please just share it here?

Disclaimer - I don't own this book (yet?) myself, and I didn't do the translations and am not sure who did. These have been floating around the internet. Someone recently posted a nice compilation, and I added a few I had collected as well. I'm not sure if this is the complete list of diary entries but does seem to go through the game.
For context, Final Fantasy VII Dismantled (Kaitai Shinsho) was released in 1997 and re-released in 2000. It's an official guidebook that was a precursor to the Ultimanias (published before Squaresoft became Square Enix). It's a very heavy book with lots of game info, and also included "diary entries" for the characters at various points in the story. If I've missed any, please let me know, but otherwise, enjoy!
If you know whatever kind fan did these translations, please let me know so I can credit their work.
Cloud: the Shinra Train
I was once a SOLDIER of Shinra Company.​
Five years ago, I was only 16, but having worked inside Shinra, I totally understand what makes this organization dreadful. Producing military supplies at the beginning, Shinra is now a corporate entity affording "Mako" energy, which is necessary for daily life, and has become a mega-corporation.​
Tonight, I'll wage war against Shinra. Hired by the anti-Shinra group, AVALANCHE, I joined the mission of exploding the first reactor in Midgar.​
I'm not interested in AVALANCHE's fanatic faith in “protecting the Planet’. No, I don't know since when, I've lost interest in everything. But what I can ensure you, is the antipathy and hostility toward Shinra that smolders in my mind. Since the day five years ago...​
It's about time to start the mission, let's pray that there'd be no other SOLDIER disposed beside the reactor.​
Cloud: in 8th Street
After successfully blowing up the first reactor, we decided to disperse once and run away separately so as to avoid attention. The rendezvous would be the station in 8th Street, last train form Midgar. People were confused about the news of terrorist attack, and the street was dim because of the unsteady supply of Mako energy.​
Here I met a flower girl. She's a girl with impressive eyes. She's around my age, or elder by one or two years. But the innocent radiance in her eyes simply makes her suddenly look younger.​
Unexpectedly, I came to think of the color of my eyes. Bathed in Mako energy, they shine a pale light, and this is what labels me a SOLDIER. For me, it's the mark of my enemy, Shinra, so I desperately want to erase it.​
"Excuse me, what happened?" She asked me the question, and I bought a flower from her, which is rare in Midgar. Maybe she's pleased that the flower was sold, because the worried look on her face had vanished.​
If this smile costs only one gil, it is a good purchase.​
Barret: in the group's base
Damn I'm so pissed! Surely the mission went well. To be honest, Avalanche is understaffed. In such situation, it really is a great success to break down one of Shinra Co.'s most important installations.​
But what the hell is this guy !? This ex-SOLDIER of Shinra was brought back by Tifa and was a childhood friend of her, but I just don't like him ! It's true he's the man, but all his concern is about money, and money only! Jackass... Have I told him that we're fighting for the sake of saving the Planet's life? I think Cloud is the kinda guy who only works for money. Shinra and Avalanche is no difference to him as long as the money is plenty!​
What pissed me off to the utmost is this Cloud fellow seems to get going now, like he has nothing to do with the second mission. Damn! Tifa went upstairs and seems to persuade him right now...​
Ah, I have to save another 1500 gil as Marlene's tuition... Dammit! I'ma need to subsist on water for a while.​
Jessie: her moment of introspection
Something terrible just happened... Originally, I was confident of passing Shinra's ID scan easily, but who'd know my special-made ID card for Cloud happened to be the only one that missed the accuracy?... I don't know a crush can even make one's fingers out of control. How careless!!​
...Oh no, this is not the right time for babbles. Cloud and the rest of the gang were leaving for the 5th reactor, but soon after their fake ID was verified in the train, Shinra's defense network would dispatch guards to catch them. It's OK if they incriminated us "bomb terrorists", but I hope we won't get any innocent citizens involved.​
Ah, here comes a newsflash: "Bomb Terrorist Again ! The function of 5th Reactor was terminated." Yes they did it! Ah! Barret is back!​
...Huh? Where's Cloud? What? A trap? Cloud fell from the Plate ? What should I do...? It's all my fault!​
Cloud: awoke from a nap
It's quite amazing. Earlier, I met the flower girl, Aerith, in the Sector 5 Slums, and now I was received at her place. I seemed to have fall down, from the 5th reactor to the Slum underneath. The Church's roof and the flowers Aerith grows alleviated the impact of falling, so I survived safe and sound.​
For some reason, Shinra is keeping an eye on her. When we were at the Church, a guy with a strange tone came to take her. The name is Reno, his clothes shows exactly that he belongs to the Turks, a secret troop of Shinra, which undertakes some dirty works that never go public. Why does the Turks want to capture her? They called her "the Ancient"...​
Well, it's midnight already, seems about time to leave for the Sector 7. Aerith said that she'll show me the way. But if I let her, it'll be hard to tell who's the bodyguard. I'm gonna slip out of here.​
Tifa: in Don Corneo's Mansion
Hum... I was in a complicated mood today – I was happy, but somehow, I felt annoyed at the same time. Though I needed to get more information no matter what, it's still risky to visit Don's mansion by myself... that notorious lecher! I knew I should have settled my determination, but I couldn't stop my teardrops.​
Cloud came to rescue me (and dressed like a girl!) when I was thinking that I might not survive this time. Therefore, I was very happy. I thought I had an illusion when I first saw him in the park.​
It's just that... I was displeased at the way Cloud and another girl soon became good friends. Well, Aerith is a very good girl, I was fond of her soon too. No wonder...​
Besides, what really makes me angry is this Don Corneo ! How dare he ignore me and Aerith, and choose Cloud as his partner without a second thought ? How !? Probably because Cloud perfumed himself with cologne and wore a tiara and even a beautiful dress... Anyway he was still rude!!​
Barret: fighting desperately in the pillar
What a crap! Those Shinra bastards had lost their minds ! It's true they're planning to blow up the pillar of the 7th plate. What the hell would happen afterwards ? If the plate of 7th Street falls, everything in the slum over there would be destroyed ! Everything ! Thousands of people, no, they intended to get everyone involved, so as to wipe us out, AVALANCHE ! 7th Heaven, our base, everyone, Marlene, all will be gone...​
Dammit! I would never let it happen! Before the gun on my wrist breaks-no, I'll fight against Shinra till my last breath! Damn I can't hold on this long, where is Wedge ? It seems Biggs and Jessie are fighting as well... Well, I hope at least Tifa is safe, she and that Cloud, I hope they'll survive.​
Oh great... Now I was even struck by hallucinations, cuz I saw Cloud climbing up the pillar. Am I at my limit...? Huh? Is he for real ??​
Cloud: in Aerith's house
The 7th Street was ruined. We couldn't stop the explosion at the pillar's Plate. Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are gone. Though they were nice folks... Besides, there's a large number of deaths, people who believed Shinra, and those who didn't....​
And then, Aerith was kidnapped. In exchange with Marlene's safety, she was taken away by the Turks. If only she wasn't involved in this battle, between me and Shinra...​
Aerith's mother told us that she's a foster child. And because she's the last survival of "the Ancients", Shinra was after her since she's little. So far, it seemed the Turks had never tried to forcibly take her away in violent manner. They just persistently asked for her cooperation. But, Shinra was entirely impetuous this time.​
If Shinra changed the strategy all of a sudden, then no one can guarantee her safety I need to get in Shinra building. I need to rescue her... by all means !​
Barret: in the rest room
Ouch !! The muscles of my feet has stretched to the fullest. The idea of "taking the stairs for 59 floors because the guards there are scarce" is a big mistake! Maybe it's easier if we just raid on the building and smash the enemy right in front... Tsk! Am I this old?​
Anyway, after we reached the 60th floor, the guard security seemed to get loose. They had never expected that we'd be able to break through and came here... Those carefree fools. There are some staffs murmured cuz I don't look like any one of them. But little doubts didn't make them cry for alert.​
Here we met the mayor of Midgar for the first time, and the feeling was bad. Seriously, he's just a dummy administrator who takes care of all sorts of data. He was very discontent with Shinra, so we got the card key without much effort. That's why I can take a break in this rest room...​
Erm, Tifa, can I ask for... a little massage on the legs ? Ah, she left already?​
Aerith: Rescued, being excited now
Cloud, you came !​
When I arrived Shinra Building and was handed over to the man called Hojo, I couldn't help thinking that I won't be able to escape anymore. I don't know why but that man gave me the shivers. The way he looked at me is like measuring a piece of experimental specimen...​
In short, he wanted a hybrid from RedXIII and... Oh forget it, I don't want to talk about it. Anyway Professor Hojo is absolutely a weirdo!​
Although Red told me that "the acting was to throw Hojo off guard”, he seemed quite serious at that moment. He does look like a savage beast, however, he is more human than most of the mankind. Like what he tried to convey, we should cherish this Planet. It's just... I can also feel the excessive strain, he seems to push himself too hard.​
And Cloud really is a hero! To Tifa, and to me as well, he'll come wherever we're in a pinch! Well, as for the one-date payment, I think I should make it two!​
Tifa: while she's waiting for Cloud
Something bad is about to happen, I have a hunch about it... It's like Hell inside Shinra building... From 67th floor where we got caught, corpses were scattered everywhere. "Slaughter" is the only word I thought of to describe the scene.​
I hate Shinra very much. They killed people of the 7th Street like trampling on insects, so I used to wish they'd be gone as well, all of them. But I had never expected to see it happen this way, even though it was the body of the hateful President, Shinra. The Hero Sephiroth - the SOLDIER that changed my fate, is still alive. I know for certain that the sword stabbed into the President's back belongs to Sephiroth. I still remember the feeling of being slashed by the same sword five years ago... Finally, the memory that day was cut short by the pain.​
Cloud knows what happened that day. Therefore he's also confused at Sephiroth's appearance here. But... What confuses me even more...​
Cloud, is something I can't recall no matter how. At that time, were you...?​
Aerith : in Gongaga
I was a little surprised that this village was Zack's birthplace !​
Although called my first love, that doesn't mean that we became particularly intimate. I encountered him by chance as a flower vendor in Midgar. It was good for a little while, so I thought A friendly, childish SOLDIER, who gave kindness to girls. I encountered Zack and began to think that even a good natured person can work for Shinra. Therefore, 5 years ago, when Zack departed somewhere on a mission and he seemingly disappeared, I cried considerably. Yeah, I call this first love. Mother got angry at Zack when she saw me like that. That matter made him completely at fault.​
At first when I met Cloud, I believed he was similar to Zack. Little actions, the way he spoke... His kindness. But Cloud is Cloud. I, now undoubtedly, love Cloud much more than Zack.​
But Cloud is clueless.​
Tifa: Gold Saucer
I, hadn't known about this. Barret had lost his hometown...​
North Corel is a horrible place. This small town fell into ruin and was swallowed up by the dry sands of the desert... Anyone still living there now must have lost their sense of feeling. At least in the slums of Midgar, people had energy and the ability to dream---​
When ShinRa's army attacked Corel Town, Barret blamed himself for what happened. It was he who agreed with ShinRa to have a Mako Reactor built. The survivors of the town also blamed him and called him 'death'.​
But, they were all wrong. It's so terrible, ShinRa even blamed the destruction of the town on a Mako Reactor explosion.​
Right now, I understand Barret's feelings a little. When the Sector 7 Slums were crushed, I also knew it was because AVALANCHE was there. I couldn't stand having nothing to blame...​
Barret still loves Corel. He was the bad guy for trying to get people to understand... But, it's so hard...​
Aerith: Inside Cloud's dream before she leaves
Cloud... can you hear me? I'm talking to your heart while you sleep right now. I hope this reaches you okay, like when I hear the voice from the planet.​
Sephiroth is trying to summon Meteor by using the Black Materia... He's trying to wound the planet badly. If Meteor really does fall, then everyone's going to die. People, animals, flowers... The life on this planet will disappear completely. The only one who can stop it is the last surviving Cetra. Me. I realize that. That was the duty of the Cetra.​
So, leave Meteor to me. You just think about yourself, Cloud. Remember your own ways... So you don't have a breakdown. Well, I'm off. When it's all over, we can meet each other again.​
Oh, Cloud... I enjoyed our date at the Gold Saucer. The view from the gondola that night was really beautiful. I'll never forget it. I'll never forget you, Cloud...​
Cloud : The Icicle Area~Forgotten Capital
Aerith is dead. Right in front of my eyes...​
I couldn't stop Sephiroth. She was in my reach, and all I could do is stand there and watch as his sword ran through Aerith.​
Aerith used to smile all the time, like a flower. But, Aerith won't smile anymore. I won't be able to hear her innocent laugh again. What did she do? Why did Aerith had to be killed ? What am I supposed to do about this anger, it's like endlessly boiling up and burning up my body. Yet at the same time, I'm afraid. Like a chill coming from the core of my body.​
When I found Aerith there, offering up some pray, what did I try to do? If my friends hadn't stopped me at that moment, I would have struck my sword down onto Aerith. It was something separate from my own will... It was like when I gave Sephiroth the Black Materia...​
Who am I? I'm ex-SOLDIER Cloud... right?​
Tell me, Aerith!​
Tifa: In Prof. Gast's house
Since then, Cloud didn't say much. He was never the type to be talkative, only spoke when necessary traveling through the north. I don't know what to say to him now. Cloud doesn't seem to have lost Aerith only, a piece of him also seems lost.​
We saw an old video document in this house. Here is the house where Aerith was born. It was the place that Prof. Gast was living in the shadow with Aerith's mother after he severed his connections with Shinra. We also saw the moment that peaceful time was torn apart.​
Hojo of Shinra...he is crazy. He is a satan of science that clings to his desire of research and has lost his heart. Hojo knew Prof. Gast's whereabouts, but waited for a long time until a child was born between them. Then, he kidnapped Aerith and her mother right after birth and killed Prof. Gast... Without any guilt. Aerith's fate might have spiral down from here.​
I can't forgive Hojo. As Aerith's friend. As a human. Never.​
Tifa: In the Lifestream
I have something which I have not been able to talk about for a very long time... Every time I try, my chain of thoughts is broken and words are lost. Just like Cloud's and my own memories, they're all---​
But, I won't turn my back on this, I can't. Cloud will never be himself again if I continue to avoid opening old wounds.​
So I talk...​
On that day 5 years ago, I waited for a long time. I believed the SOLDIER who was sent to Nibelheim from ShinRa would surely be Cloud. However, another SOLDIER came with Sephiroth and he was not Cloud. His hair was black. He was young and cheerful... He talked a lot with me, too. He told me that he was born in Gongaga, which was far to the south. His name was--- Zacks.​
Cloud's memories were different from reality. No matter what, I believe in him. He must be Cloud of Nibelheim. I'm sure of it because he still holds tender memories from our childhood...​
Try to remember, Cloud. I won't run away anymore—​
Cloud : Sea Bed, Forgotten Capital
When she died, Aerith's expression was calm. Finally, I was able to know the reason why. Why did Aerith braved the dangers all alone and go to the Ancient's Capital, what for? We couldn't even think about it. We were so sad at her death, we didn't even try to find out the meaning to it. Even though, Aerith told me, I'm the only one who can stop Sephiroth...​
"Holy", the ultimate white magic to combat the destructive magic "Meteor". The only way to save this planet from being destroyed by a meteorite. Aerith had already called Holy. In exchange for her own life, she left us... She left the planet the hope for a future.​
But Holy still haven't activated yet. Because somewhere, he's stopping it. Aerith ... will your life be lost in vain ? You'll see, we'll defeat Sephiroth and release Holy's power. I'm sure of it.​
We'll save the life of this planet you loved.​
Cloud: before the last battle
I can feel it... from up north. He's storing up some unbelievably powerful energy. The path of destruction might be the only one left for us, no matter how much we struggle. We might just die a little before the planet, without Holy activating...​
Even so, I have to fight. To settle my past. To be myself. And, above all – to free her frozen smile.​
And Tifa's here with me. I'm not fighting alone, that's what Tifa taught me. Everyone came back. Barret, Cid, Red XIII ... Cait Sith taking part by remote control, while evacuating the citizens of Midgar. Vincent, who despite his cold attitude is really hiding a burning fighting spirit. Yuffie, who put up with her motion sickness and came back. Everyone each has their own reasons to fight. And they're all tied to the life of the planet.​
Let's go, to the Northern Crater! She left us hope, now we'll release Aerith's wish!​
Edit to add Ultimasamune was able to confirm there are indeed many more diary entries! Unclear to me so far if anyone has translated them or if they are available online. (Ultimasamune kindly posted a list of the full glossary of diaries, so please refer to their comment!)
Edit again I was provided with the raw Dismantled pages so I can work on translations for the missing pieces! I don't know how long reddit will let me make comments but I'll add them here until it stops me lol. Note - my Japanese is all right but I'm not a native speaker and definitely not a professional translator, so these translations are for your guys' enjoyment only!
Barret: On the Loading Platform [Escaping Shinra HQ, Disc 1, Midgar]
Ugh! That asshole Cloud has to do things so flashy. Outside the building were swarms of Shinra armed forces. They took one glance at me and started firing like a gaudy orchestra. Apparently, that bastard Rufus said we were the ones to arrange the murder of President Shinra. Easier to blame the terrorist organization AVALANCHE than the officially-dead Sephiroth. That shithead. As expected, this time, there's no way out. At least if Aeris can escape this siege..​
Just as I decided to go on the offense, Cloud showed up. Using the display bike and cars, we jumped down from the second floor onto the highway. Haha! I thought I was used to things getting rough but this is the first time I've been this fired up! You don't care at all, Red XIII!​
Huh? Behind us.. what the hell? Bikes and some huge asshole are chasing us!​
Cloud: Recollections of Nibelheim [In Kalm, Disc 1]
Sephiroth was alive...​
I will never forget the sight of that horrible day 5 years ago, when my hometown Nibelheim was destroyed. The fire engulfing the town. Everywhere I look, the corpses of people I've known since I was little. My mother, who was always worrying about me, was dead... no, murdered. All from his, Sephiroth's, madness and hatred.​
Sephiroth lost his mind at an old research facility in Shinra mansion, located on the outskirts of town. No, maybe I should say he woke up? Sephiroth was an Ancient, artificially manufactured based on the life-form JENOVA, which was discovered in an ancient layer of rock strata.​
Naming himself the Planet's ruler, Sephiroth abandoned his humanity, burned down the village, and slaughtered everyone. I pursued him and confronted him in the Mt. Nibel Mako Reactor... and from there, my memory ends. Relying on the fact that I'm still alive, I wanted to believe that Sephiroth was dead. However, he is still trying to exert domination over this Planet. He is humanity's enemy...​
We have to settle this, once and for all.​
Aeris: Being bounced atop a Chocobo
I wonder what happened to Cloud. Since he talked about the man called Sephiroth, and sometimes his face becomes frightening. When I talk to him he seems to return to his normal self quickly, but...​
Since then, Tifa is also somehow acting strange. After thinking about it for awhile, she suddenly shook her head and seemed to forget something. But no wonder. Both of them watched their hometown burn down and their loved ones get killed... Both Cloud and Tifa are frustrated. So we are pursuing a black-cloaked man that apparently resembles Sephiroth.​
At first, we didn't buy a materia for catching chocobos at the Chocobo Farm. It was naturally expensive... but thanks to that, we were able to be chased by Midgar Zolom in the wetlands. It's such a huge snake, it's impossible to defeat, so we all gotta relax.​
I wonder if the wetlands are about to end... Wait, what is that? A dead Midgar Zolom? Is this really Sephiroth's doing?​

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Taking a break from other translations to circle back around to the character info section of Dismantled. I'm thinking I'll do one each day since they're a pain to transcribe with the god damn grainy background textures!

Quick note: it seems like these are approached from the perspective of a new player, so they don't contain any late-game spoilers... at least I don't think so. Maybe that will change.

Cloud Strife

Height: 173cm
Blood type: AB
Birthday: August 11
Hometown: Nibelheim
Weapon: Sword

(See p. 67 for weapons; p. 99 for Limit Breaks)

A former member of SOLDIER (Shinra’s elite fighting force) and childhood friend of Tifa who aspired to be like Sephiroth. There are several key phrases used to describe Cloud’s past, but it may be that not all of them are true. The Nibelheim incident he was involved in five years ago is what set everything in motion. Cloud’s journey to regain his true self is also the main story of Final Fantasy VII.

Eyes
His eyes have a bluish tinge—the mark of someone who’s been bathed in mako. This is because Cloud is a SOLDIER, a specially selected person whose capabilities have been drawn out well beyond those of ordinary humans thanks to the power of mako and a certain something else.

Initial Equipment
Weapon: Buster Sword
Armor: Bronze Bangle
Materia: Ice, Lightning

Hair
“When I first conceived of Cloud, he had a swept back hairdo, but I decided I wanted it to be more fitting for a protagonist, so I changed it to the spiky hairstyle you see now.” - Tetsuya Nomura (Character Designer)

The Mysterious Voice
From time to time, a mysterious voice will speak to Cloud, uttering such things as: “Open your eyes! This isn’t just any old power plant”; and “Back then, I only scraped my knees… how about this time?” Just whom does this voice belong to? It would seem several characters fit the bill….

The Bracelet
In the early stages of development, Cloud's left arm was sealed with the bracelet [on his left wrist]. When he escaped from the spirit world, the seal would be broken and he’d be able to use both arms, increasing his powers.

Costumes
Cloud’s wardrobe changes are one of the highlights of the game. He dresses as a woman in Corneo’s Mansion, dons a Shinra soldier’s uniform for Rufus’s welcome parade in Junon, and in one scene even [goes nude].

Selected Quotes
“Not interested.” - In various early scenes
“There’s something here I need for crossdressing. I feel it in my bones…. Here goes!” - Outside the Honeybee Inn
“Sephiroth is alive. I… I have to settle our score.” - At the edge of Midgar Expressway, gazing out at the view before him
“Heh, heh, heh… The Black Materia.” - At the Temple of the Ancients
“My fingertips are tingling. My mouth is dry. My eyes are burning! - In the Forgotten City
“Alright, everyone. Let’s go.” - Before the final showdown

Dialogue-Based Character Analysis
In the early stages of the game, Cloud comes off as a cool hunk of a protagonist, but as the story progresses, he’s revealed to be rather schizophrenic. Some of the things he says don’t quite seem to line up with the character we know, and if one were to suggest another personality resided in Cloud, it wouldn’t be difficult to believe. Perhaps this has something to do with why he’s more gung-ho about entering the Honeybee Inn than rushing into the final showdown with Sephiroth.

クラウド・ストライフ

age●21
height●173cm
blood type ●AB
birthday●8/11
hometown●ニブルヘイム
weapon●ソード

武器→P.67 リミット技→P.99

元ソルジャー(神羅の精鋭兵士)、ティファの幼なじみ、セフィロスへの憧れ。クラウドの過去を語るキーワードはいくつかあるが、それらがすべて真実と言えるのかどうか。あらゆることの発端は、5年前に起きたニブルヘイム事件。クラウドが自分自身を取りもどす旅——それが『FFVII』のメインストーリーでもある。

うっすらと青みがかった瞳の色は、魔光を浴びた者の証。選ばれた人間に魔晄と“あるもの”の力を加え、常人とは比較にならないほどの能力を引き出したのがソルジャーなのだ。

初期装備
武器●バスターソード
防具●ブロンズバングル
マテリア●れいき、いかずち

「設定した当初は、髪型がオールバックだったんですが、もっと主人公らしいイメージにしようということで、いまのツンツンとしたヘアースタイルに変えました」
(キャラクターデザイナー・野村哲也氏)

謎の声
「目をさませ!ここはただの発電所じゃない」「あのときはヒザすりむいただけですんだけど、今度はどうかな?」など、ときどき謎の声がクラウドに語りかけてくる。果たして、声の主は誰なのか?どうやら複数の人物が該当するようだが……。

腕輪
開発初期、クラウドはこの腕輪により左腕が封印されていた。精神世界から脱出したとき、はじめて封印が解け、両腕が使えるようになってパワーアップする予定だったのだ。

服装
クラウドの衣装替えも本作品の見せ場のひとつだろう。コルネオの館で女装したり、ジュノンのルーファウス送迎パレードで神羅兵の制服を着たり。さらに、ある場面でも……。

クラウド語録
「興味ないね」(序盤のさまざまなシーンで)
「ここに女装に必要な何かがある。俺にはわかるんだ。行くぜ!」(蜜蜂の館の前で)
「セフィロスは生きている。俺は……あのときの決着をつけなくてはならない」(ミッドガル・ハイウェイの終点で、目前に広がるフィールドをながめながら)
「クックックッ……黒マテリア」(古代種の神殿で)
「指先がチリチリする。口の中はカラカラだ。目の奥が熱いんだ!」(忘らるる都にて)
「よし、行こうよ、みんな」(最終決戦を前にして)

[セリフによる性格分析]
 ゲーム序盤では、クールな2枚目の主人公をイメージさせるが、物語が進むとともに、かなりの分裂症であることを露呈する。とても同じ人物が話しているとは思えない言葉もあり、別の人格がクラウドの中にいると言われたら信じてしまうほどだ。最終決戦突入時よりも、蜜蜂の館に入るときのほうが気合いが入っているのは、それとは無関係なのかもしれないが。

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Barret Wallace

Height: 197cm
Blood Type: O
Birthday: December 15
Hometown: Corel
Weapon: Prosthetic Arm [lit. “Gimmick Arm”]

(See p. 68 for weapons; p. 99 for Limit Breaks)

The leader of an anti-Shinra organization named Avalanche. The game’s story begins with Avalanche executing a plan to bomb Mako Reactor 1, their goal being to protect the life of the Planet. Later on, Barret’s past is revealed. He was manipulated by Shinra and robbed of his hometown, his beloved wife, and his own right arm. Gripped by revenge, Barret asks himself why he fights. Discovering the answer, his life begins anew.

Gun Arm
Barret’s right arm was paralyzed when Scarlet shot it during an incident in the village of Corel. Afterward, it was reborn as a detachable prosthetic arm. “I had Barret’s character in mind from the very beginning of Final Fantasy VII’s development. I wanted to introduce someone with a weapon attached to the end of one arm. However, the [technological] state of the game’s world was still undecided at that time, and instead of a gun, Barret had a crossbow attached to his arm” (Tetsuya Nomura, Character Designer).

Initial Equipment
Weapon: Gatling Gun
Materia: None

Costumes
The sailor uniform Barret wears on the cargo ship and in Costa del Sol is a must-see, though “cute” might not be the best term to describe it….

Pendant
An item entrusted to Barret by Dyne, his close friend since childhood. Seeing as it’s a keepsake from Dyne’s wife Eleanor, there’s only one person he should pass it on to in the near future.

Muscles
Barret draws power from his bulging, armor-like muscles, which he developed after years of manual labor in Corel’s coal mines. Even when he’s lying low in Seventh Heaven, he spars with his punching bag every day, determined to keep in shape.

Name Origin
Initially, Barret was going to be named “Blow,” but that proved problematic in the U.S. market, so he was named after [the English word] “bullet.”

Avalanche
An anti-Shinra organization formed in Cosmo Canyon by students of Planetology. The scope of the organization is unknown, but judging by [Biggs’s] claim that several comrades lost their lives learning the codes to Mako Reactor 1’s gates, it isn’t unreasonable to assume there are other members aside from those in Barret’s unit.

Selected Quotes
“Ex-SOLDIER, huh? Shit, I don’t trust you one bit.” - During the operation to bomb Mako Reactor 1
“From here on out, we’re gonna need a leader to keep everyone in check. And ain’t nobody cut out to lead like me.” - Just before departing Midgar
“I act all passionate about saving the Planet, but in the end, all I want is to get back at Shinra. I only wanna satisfy my own thirst for vengeance!” - In Corel Prison
“You’ve got my back till the end, partner!” - At the Junon branch office, patting the gun on his right arm
“This is the train we all got on—and it ain’t makin’ no stops!” - On the airship just after Cloud rejoins the party, repeating his well-known phrase
“But now… yeah… that’s it. I’m fightin’ for Marlene.” - On the airship as the final showdown draws near

Born and raised among the roughnecks of Corel’s coal mines, Barret’s speech is harsh and unadorned. However, after he’s freed from his blind vengeance against Shinra in the latter half of the story, the daggers behind his words slowly disappear. It’s through this process that Barret’s misgivings about the protagonist, Cloud, gradually fade away.

バレット・ウォーレス

age●35
height●197cm
blood type ●O
birthday●12/15
hometown●コレル
weapon●ギミックアーム

武器→P.68 リミット技→P.99

反神羅組織“アバランチ”のリーダー格。星の命を守るという思想のもと、彼らが魔晄炉爆破計画を実行するシーンから物語がはじまる。やがて明らかにされるバレットの過去。神羅に踊らされ、故郷と愛する妻、そして右腕を失った復讐者は自問する。戦う意味とは何か?それを見つけたとき、彼の人生は再びはじまる。

ハンドガン
コレル村の過去の事件で、スカーレットに撃たれて動かなくなったバレットの右腕は、取り外し可能なギミックアームとして生まれ変わった。
「『FFVII』の企画がスタートした当初から、僕の頭の中にあったのが、このキャラクターでした。片腕の先に武器がついた人間というのを登場させたかったんです。ただ、当時は世界観がまだ確定していなかったので、バレットの右腕には銃の代わりにボウガンがついていたんですよ」
(キャラクターデザイナー・野村哲也氏)

初期装備
武器●ガトリングガン
防具●ブロンズバングル
マテリア●なし

服装
運搬船からコスタ・デル・ソルにかけて登場する、水兵服を着たバレットは必見。ただし、かわいいと言っていいのかどうか……。

ペンダント
子供のころからの親友であるダインに託された品。ダインの妻、エレノアの形見であることを考えると、近い将来にそれを渡すべき相手は、もちろんひとりしかいない。

筋肉
コレルの炭坑での労働によってつちかわれた、よろいのようなぶ厚い筋肉が、バレットのパワーの源。セブンスヘブンに潜伏しているときも、日々サンドバックをたたき、身体を鍛えることに余念がない。

ネーミングの由来
最初は「ブロウ」と名づけられていたが、アメリカ市場で問題のあるネーミングだったので、「BULLET(弾丸)」から名前をとった。

アバランチ
コスモキャニオンにて星命学を学ぶ人によって結成された反神羅の組織。その規模は不明だが、壱番魔晄炉の扉の暗号を知るために何人もの仲間が命を落としたという話から考えると、現リーダー格であるバレットが率いるチーム以外に、メンバーが存在しても不思議ではない。

バレット語録
「元ソルジャー……。チッ、信用できねえな」(壱番魔晄炉爆破作戦にて)
「ここから先、団体行動にはリーダーが必要だ。リーダーといえばオレしかいねえ」(ミッドガルを出た直後に)
「星を救うなんてカッコつけてるが、オレは神羅に復讐したいだけなんだ。自分の気がすむようにしたいだけなんだよ!」(コレルプリズンにて)
「最後までもってくれよ……あいぼう!」(ジュノン支社にて、右腕のガンをさすりながら)
「オレたちが乗っちまった列車はよ! 途中下車はできねえぜ!」(クラウド復帰直後、飛空艇でおなじみのフレーズ)
「でも、今は……そうだぜ。オレはマリンのために戦ってるんだ」(最終決戦さしせまる飛空艇にて)

[セリフによる性格分析]
 コレル炭坑の荒くれ者たちの中で生まれ育ったバレットは、その口調も荒々しく飾りがない。しかし、神羅への盲目的な復讐心から解き放たれていく物語後半にかけて、言葉の中に潜んでいたトゲトゲしいものは少しずつ消えていく。それは主人公クラウドへのわだかまりが氷解する過程でもある。

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Personal takeaways:

Lots going on here. First of all, I'm assuming ブロウ was supposed to be "Blow," hence the trouble they got into. "Brow" is another common translation but that doesn't fit the context.

The Dismantled writers are of the opinion Barret's dog tags are the "pendant" Dyne handed over to Barret at Corel Prison. My first reaction was that this was obviously wrong, but to my surprise, there is not cutscene where Barret's chest can be seen before Corel Prison, making this theory un-disprovable in the context of the OG. Obviously, Remake tells us otherwise, and Barret also seems to have changed into Eleanor's pendant in his AC outfit (though, shouldn't he have given it to Marlene? Is that not actually Eleanor's pendant?).

The comment about Barret's Avalanche team being in contact with other members of the organization draws attention to the one spot in the OG where the larger Avalanche's ongoing presence is hinted at. However, it's also somewhat contradicted in the Scenario Staff interview later in the guidebook.

Last edited:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Original Nomura sketches of Barret have his name written "Blow" (25th Memorial Ultimania Vol.2, p.032).

Wait, Barret wears Eleanor's pendant in AC? That doesn't make sense.

The other curious thing:
The Mysterious Voice
From time to time, a mysterious voice will speak to Cloud, uttering such things as: “Open your eyes! This isn’t just any old power plant”; and “Back then, I only scraped my knees… how about this time?” Just whom does this voice belong to? It would seem several characters fit the bill….
I didn't think the first one was Cloud's inner voice (his inner voice is usually signified by grey text and/or by 『』 speech marks in the Japanese version), and was instead just him internally flashbacking to something Sephiroth said (in a deleted scene, mentioned in the Ultimania Omega), like the next headfuck he has in the No.5 Reactor with a fuller flashback. Although I guess 目を覚ませ wasn't in the deleted Sephiroth quote and makes more sense being said by inner Cloud... and the text is otherwise uniquely presented... I guess. That whole scene doesn't make sense.

The Cloud nude outfit thing also confused me because there was no model like that, but then I rewatched that scene and they just don't show him above the shoulders. I was also re-horrified they put that scene in the game.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Original Nomura sketches of Barret have his name written "Blow" (25th Memorial Ultimania Vol.2, p.032).

Wait, Barret wears Eleanor's pendant in AC? That doesn't make sense.

The other curious thing:

I didn't think the first one was Cloud's inner voice (his inner voice is usually signified by grey text and/or by 『』 speech marks in the Japanese version), and was instead just him internally flashbacking to something Sephiroth said (in a deleted scene, mentioned in the Ultimania Omega), like the next headfuck he has in the No.5 Reactor with a fuller flashback. Although I guess 目を覚ませ wasn't in the deleted Sephiroth quote and makes more sense being said by inner Cloud... and the text is otherwise uniquely presented... I guess. That whole scene doesn't make sense.

The Cloud nude outfit thing also confused me because there was no model like that, but then I rewatched that scene and they just don't show him above the shoulders. I was also re-horrified they put that scene in the game.
That confirms Blow Wallace. Thanks!

Here's the concept art for Eleanor's pendant, courtsey of Luneyes. Imo it looks extremely similar to the AC pendant. Does anyone have the PlayArts model so they can get a really close look? unknown (1).png

I actually edited that passage a little after I posted it. It is trying to get at what you're saying, that in that instance it's a memory of Sephiroth happening to use his activation phrase, but in other instances it's Cloud's "true self." There's a few notes explicitly confirming this in the UO playback:

Story Check: The Mysterious Voice

A mysterious voice calls out to Cloud as he’s trying to configure the bomb. Afterward, this mysterious voice continues to resonate in Cloud’s mind, communicating with him in many more scenes. These [psychic intrusions] occur due to the multiple conflicting personalities inside of Cloud: the real Cloud; the “Cloud” cobbled together from Zack’s personality after Hojo’s experiments; and the “Cloud” who’s a Sephiroth Copy (see p. 11). In this scene inside Mako Reactor 1, Cloud, triggered by the familiar surroundings, is remembering a line Sephiroth spoke in reference to Nibelheim’s mako reactor five years ago (though we never get to hear the original line during the flashback scene [in Kalm]).

[Image caption:] This instruction to open his eyes also appears in places like the Temple of the Ancients when Sephiroth is trying to turn Cloud into a puppet, but its usage here differs.

Last edited:
Here's the concept art for Eleanor's pendant, courtsey of Luneyes. Imo it looks extremely similar to the AC pendant. Does anyone have the PlayArts model so they can get a really close look? View attachment 11463
Quite similar, indeed. The main difference seems to be that AC Barret's pendant has only one metal tag, while the above concept art has two tags.

ac_barret_pendant_01.png

ac_barret_pendant_02.png

I had completely forgotten that I actually looked this up once in the past. :monster: Though I don't have the PlayArts figure so I can't compare with that.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Tifa Lockhart

Height: 167cm
Blood Type: B
Birthday: May 3
Hometown: Nibelheim
Weapon: Gloves

(See p. 69 for weapons; p. 99 for Limit Breaks)

Born and raised in Nibelheim, she’s a childhood friend of Cloud and the only character who knows precisely what happened in his past. Like Cloud, she was caught up in the Nibelheim incident five years ago, but remains inexplicably tight-lipped about it. What is it that haunts Tifa, and what is she afraid will happen? The greatest mystery of Final Fantasy VII is revealed when she comes face to face with her own past.

Costume
Judging by the outfit she wears at Corneo’s Mansion, Tifa seems to like revealing outfits that are easy to move around in.

Initial Equipment
Weapon: Leather Gloves

Gloves
Tifa has attached materia to the backs of her Leather Gloves. If she lands a backhand punch, you’ll be hurting from her hard materia. It’s painful just to think about!

Mindset
In some ways still an innocent girl, she clings to the belief her hero will appear and save her when she’s in a bind. Seven years ago at the Nibelheim water tower, she made Cloud promise to play that role.

Talents
Her skill at mixing cocktails is renowned throughout the Sector 7 Slums. She’s also a superb cook, and with Wedge as her taste tester, she’s put together an extensive menu at Seventh Heaven.

Hands
For smashing?

Miniskirt
She opts to wear a skirt on a daily basis, but men’s gazes still seem to bother her. When climbing the stairwell in the Shinra Building, she shyly has Cloud and [Barret] go ahead of her. “I had two versions of Tifa: one with a miniskirt and one where she wore leggings. I was on the fence about which one to go with, but when I went around and asked all the staff, they resoundingly preferred the miniskirt. So that’s the Tifa I settled on” (Tetsuya Nomura, Character Designer).

Martial Arts
A master of high-speed martial arts, Zangan has 128 pupils in places all over the world. During the Nibelheim incident five years ago, Zangan managed to get Tifa to safety just in the nick of time.

Selected Quotes
“You have to hang in there, Cloud! You can’t die! There’s still so much I want to talk to you about!” - Crying out to Cloud just before he falls from Mako Reactor 5
“Well excuse me….” - In the Shinra Building jail cells, when Aerith is surprised to find Tifa in the same room as Cloud
“I’ve been waiting for a chance to do this! Take that, you old hag!” - After being slapped by Scarlet on the Junon turret
“...So you did come…. You kept your promise after all. You came through for me when I was in a bind!” - In Cloud’s psycho-spiritual world
“People keep so many things bottled up inside….” - Murmuring to herself after returning from the psycho-spiritual world
“You know, words aren’t the only way to tell someone how you feel.” - The night before the final showdown, when Tifa is alone with Cloud

At times, Tifa appears to be jealous about Cloud and Aerith’s relationship. She seems to have complex feelings for Cloud that extend beyond simple childhood friendship. Her speech becomes more feminine in the latter half of the story, likely because she begins to face her feelings more honestly after the tragedy in the Forgotten City.

ティファ・ロックハート

age●20
height●167cm
blood type ●B
birthday●5/3
hometown●ニブルヘイム
weapon●グローブ

武器→P.69 リミット技→P.99

ニブルヘイムにて生まれ育ったクラウドの幼なじみで、彼の過去を正確に知るただひとりの人物。クラウドと同じく5年前のニブルヘイム事件に遭遇しているが、彼女はなぜか固く口を閉ざす。ティファは何におびえ、何を恐れるのか?『FFVII』における最大の謎は、彼女が過去と向き合うことで解き明かされていく。

服装
コルネオの館でのファッションを見ても、動きやすく、露出度の高い服が好みであることがわかる。

初期装備
武器●レザーグローブ
防具●ブロンズバングル
マテリア●なし

グローブ
レザーグローブには、手の甲の部分にマテリアが装着されている。ティファのパンチを裏拳気味に受けた場合、硬いマテリアで殴られるわけだから、考えただけでも痛そうだ。

思考
ピンチになったときにヒーローが現われて助けてくれる、といまだに信じこむ、純粋な少女のような一面を持つ。7年前、ニブルヘイムの給水塔で、クラウドにそのヒーロー役を依頼する。

腕前
カクテルを作る腕前は、七番街スラムで評判。料理も得意で、ウェッジを味見係にして、セブンスヘブンのメニューの品々を作っている。

コレですりつぶすのか?

ミニスカート
日ごろから短いスカートを好んで身につけているが、やはり男性の視線は気になるようだ。神羅ビルの階段を上るときには、クラウドたちを先へ行かせるという恥じらいを見せる。「ティファには、ミニスカートのバージョンと、スパッツをはいたバージョンの2種類があったんです。どちらにしようか悩んでいたんですが、スタッフの人たちに聞いてまわったら、ミニスカートがいい!という声が圧倒的に多くて、いまのティファに落ち着きました」
(キャラクターデザイナー・野村哲也氏)

格闘術
スピーディな動きを駆使する格闘術の師匠は、各地に128人の弟子を持つというザンガン。5年前のニブルヘイム事件のとき、彼の手によって、ティファは間一髪のところを救出された。

ティファ語録
「クラウド!なんとかして生きて!死んじゃダメ!話したいことがたくさんあるの!」(伍番魔晄炉から落下直前のクラウドに叫ぶ)
「すいませんねえ」(神羅ビルの牢獄で、クラウドと同じ部屋にいることをエアリスに驚かれて)
「さっきからパンパンいたいのよ!この年増女!!!!」(ジュノンの砲塔上でスカーレットに平手打ちされて)
「……来てくれたのね。……約束、守ってくれたのね。ピンチの時にちゃんと来てくれたんだ!」(クラウドの精神世界で)
「人間て、自分のなかになんてたくさんのものをしまってるんだろう……」(精神世界から帰還して、つぶやくように)
「想いを伝えられるのは言葉だけじゃないよ」(最終決戦前夜、クラウドとふたりきりのときに)

[セリフによる性格分析]
 ときに、クラウドとエアリスのあいだにヤキモチらしき感情をのぞかせるティファ。そこにはクラウドへの、単なる幼なじみを越えた複雑な想いがあるようだ。物語の後半から口調が女らしくなっていくのは、忘らるる都での事件を転機として、自分自身の気持ちに正直に向き合いはじめたからなのだろう。

Personal takeaways:

Maybe the miniskirt vs. leggings thing has already been presented elsewhere, but I wasn't aware of it. Interesting how Tifa's Remake is a fusion of these two versions. Also, as with the Scenario Staff interview, I'm reminded of how much more complex and independent Tifa's character has become since the OG iteration.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
“I had two versions of Tifa: one with a miniskirt and one where she wore leggings. I was on the fence about which one to go with, but when I went around and asked all the staff, they resoundingly preferred the miniskirt. So that’s the Tifa I settled on” (Tetsuya Nomura, Character Designer).

Guess Nomura decided to go with the other version for the Remake. :monster:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Aerith Gainsborough

Height: 163cm
Blood Type: O
Birthday: February 7
Hometown: Icicle Inn
Weapon: Staff

(See p. 70 for weapons; p. 100 for Limit Breaks)

Aerith makes a memorable entrance as a flower seller from the slums. Her fateful encounter with Cloud sends the sole surviving Ancient spiraling into a conflict of epic proportions. Where is the Promised Land located? Caught in the throes of destiny, Aerith struggles to fulfill her role as a “Cetra”—one who nurtures the Planet. Undaunted by the hardship that awaits, she soldiers on….

Hair
She puts a lot of effort into her hairstyle, adjusting her bangs after every battle. In the ribbon fastened to the back of her hair, she’s concealed a materia her mother passed down to her.

Hands
For ripping?

Name Origin
A play on the [English word] “earth.”

Initial Equipment
Weapon: Guard Stick

Skin
Compared to Tifa, her skin is less exposed and therefore not as tan. There’s a cute moment in Costa del Sol when she can’t quite hide her delight after Cloud tells her he likes fairer skin.

Cetra
“A people who are born from the Planet, speak with the Planet, and cultivate the Planet. The Cetra return to the Promised Land, a place of supreme happiness granted by the Planet.” What is the meaning behind these words Aerith heard from her mother? The Cetra (also known as the Ancients) and how they pertain to Shinra, Sephiroth, and Cloud’s party are inextricably bound up with the main narrative of Final Fantasy VII.

Long Skirt
“I had a relatively easy time deciding on the design for this tragic heroine. However, the people in charge of graphics seemed to have difficulty rendering her long skirt with polygons. I don’t usually consider things like polygons when creating characters” (Tetsuya Nomura, Character Designer).
The long skirt is Aerith’s trademark look, but she changes into a red dress to go along with Cloud when he’s crossdressing in Wall Market. Note how her bearing changes when she lets down her hair, which is normally tied up.

Selected Quotes
“Alright, then… how about one date!” - At the church, suggesting a reward after asking Cloud to be her bodyguard
“Riiight… Good excuse.” - To Cloud when he wants to enter the Honeybee Inn
“...A flower seller from the slums.” - Introducing herself to Rufus at the Shinra Building
“Come on, Cloud! You can do it!” - On the railroad tracks west of Corel
“...I was curious at first because you looked so much like him. You’re an entirely different person, yet you acted just the same. The way you walk, the way you move your hands… I saw him in you…. But, you’re different. Things are different now….” - Speaking to Cloud in Round Square at the Gold Saucer
“There aren’t many people I can say that about. Just a handful in the whole world who really know me…” - In the Temple of the Ancients, standing in front of Tseng
“So, I’m going to stop it. Only a survivor of the Cetra like me can do it.” - In Cloud’s dream

Aerith speaks her mind with the frank innocence of a young girl. Despite her meek appearance, she doesn't hesitate to dive headlong into danger, boldly teasing Cloud, whom she feels affection for. Sometimes, she voices her intentions so firmly it’s enough to make you double take. Perhaps it’s her sense of duty as an Ancient that gives her such strong convictions.

エアリス・ゲインズブール

age●22
height●163cm
blood type ●O
birthday●2/7
hometown●アイシクルロッジ
weapon●ロッド

武器→P.70 リミット技→P.100

スラムの花売りとして、印象的に登場するエアリス。クラウドとの運命的な出会いは、唯一の古代種の生き残りである彼女を巨大な戦いの渦へと巻き込んでいく。約束の地とはどこなのか? 宿命に翻弄されながら、エアリスは星を育む者“セトラ”としての役割を懸命に果たそうとする。過酷な結末を恐れもせず——。

ヘアースタイルには気を使っているようで、モンスターとの戦いが終わるたびに前髪を整える。うしろに結んだリボンの中には、母の形見であるマテリアを忍ばせている。

これでねじり切るのか?

ネーミングの由来
「EARTH(大地)」の読みかたを変えて命名

初期装備
武器●ガードロッド
防具●ブロンズバングル
マテリア●なし

ティファとは対照的に、肌の露出度が低く、そのぶん日焼けもしていない。コスタ・デル・ソルでクラウドから「肌は白いほうが好きだ」と聞いたときに、喜びを隠せずにいる姿がかわいい。

セトラ
『セトラの民、星より生まれ、星と語り、星を開く。セトラの民、約束の地へ帰る。至上の幸福、星が与えし定めの地」——エアリスが母から聞いていたこの言葉は、果たしてどのような意味を持つのか。セトラ、すなわち古代種という存在をめぐり、神羅、セフィロス、そしてクラウドたち一行が、『FFVII』のストーリーをつむぎあげていく。

ロングスカート
「悲劇のヒロインであるこのキャラクターのデザインは、わりとすんなり決まりました。でも、ゲームのグラフィック担当者は、ロングスカートをポリゴンで表現するのが大変だったみたいですね。僕は、ポリゴンで作るときのことを考えて……とかいうキャラクターの作りかたはしないものですから」
(キャラクターデザイナー・野村哲也氏)
 ロングスカートはエアリスのトレードマークだが、ウォールマーケットでは、女装するクラウドと一緒に赤いドレスに着がえる。ふだんは結んでいる髪の毛をおろすと、雰囲気が変わるのに注目。

エアリス語録
「じゃあねえ……。デート、1回!」(教会でボディガードを頼んだクラウドへの報酬を提案)
「……ふ~~~~ん。そうやって、ごまかしますか」(蜜蜂の館に入りたがっているクラウドに)
「……スラムの花売り」(神羅ビルでルーファウスに自己紹介)
「きゃ~、クラウド!!がんばって~!!」(コレル西の線路にて)
「……はじめはね、そっくりだったから気になった。全然別人なんだけど、そっくり。歩きかた、手の動かしかた……。あなたの中に彼を見ていた……。でも、ちがうの。いまは、ちがう……」(ゴールドソーサーのラウンドスクェアでクラウドに向かって)
「わたし、そういう人、少ないから。世界中、ほんの少ししかいない。わたしのこと、知ってる人……」(古代種の神殿でツォンを前にして)
「だから、それを防ぐの。それはセトラの生き残りのわたしにしかできない」(クラウドの夢の中で)

[セリフによる性格分析]
 童女のように無邪気な言葉で思うままを口にするエアリス。おとなしめの外見に似合わず、危険なことにも平気で足をつっこみたがり、好意を持ったクラウドへのアタックは積極果敢。そして、ときに、その口調はどきりとするほど強い意志を示す。古代種としての使命感が、そう感じさせるのだろうか。

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yes, @TurquoiseHammer -- huge thanks. I always wanted to get around to all this, but just never did. It wouldn't have gone as expediently as your efforts either, probably.

The Bracelet
In the early stages of development, Cloud's left arm was sealed with the bracelet [on his left wrist]. When he escaped from the spirit world, the seal would be broken and he’d be able to use both arms, increasing his powers.
Thus, hope for the Compilation Buster Sword design emerging after the Lifestream sequence in the remake lived on~

Maybe he split the other tag with Marlene :3
Another possibility is that the pendant slides open, the top and bottom halfs rotating to either side.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Thanks for the praise, everyone. It's a pleasure to share these one day at a time. Hope you don't mind the leisurely pace.

Red XIII

Height: ?
Blood Type: ?
Birthday: ?
Hometown: Cosmo Canyon
Weapon: Headdress

(See p. 71 for weapons; p. 100 for Limit Breaks)

The so-called last survivor of a species long revered as guardian deities of the Planet. Capable of human speech and equally intelligent, they boast a far longer lifespan than the average man, yet have since been brought to the brink of extinction. Red XIII throws himself into battle initially to protect the people of his beloved Cosmo Canyon, and later to defend the Planet itself.

Design
“There’d never been a four-legged playable character in Final Fantasy before, and with Red XIII I think we were able to provide a whole new experience. In the beginning, his design was very animal-like, and I wasn’t planning on having him speak the human language, but things ended up getting shifted around a lot. I also gave him some Native American features to match the feel of Cosmo Canyon” (Tetsuya Nomura, Character Designer).

Lifespan
In the early parts of the story, he gives off a prudent, taciturn air that suggests a mature age, but in human terms, he’s only 15 or 16 years old (though his actual age is 48). Red XIII’s tribe has exceptional longevity, with the ability to live over 500 years.

Initial Equipment
Weapon: Mythril Clip
Armor: Mythril Armlet
Materia: Fire, All, Sense

Name Origin
Named “Red XIII” because [the creators] wanted a character with a number in their name. His real name, “Nanaki,” was given to impart a Native American feel.

Tattoos
The majority are “warrior talismans” passed down through his tribe; only the “XIII” on his left shoulder was engraved by Hojo. Because of this tattoo, Red XIII seems to dread that his consciousness will come under the control of a certain someone, just like those of the other tattooed subjects who fell into Hojo’s hands.

Tail
A red flame smolders at the tip of his tail. Even when trying to disguise himself as a human (i.e., a Shinra soldier), he can’t seem to hide his tail. Incidentally, he doesn’t seem interested in women with two legs.

Father
Initially he’s scornful of his father Seto, who he believes abandoned his mother and the people of the valley when Cosmo Canyon was invaded by the Gi long ago. However, after learning the truth from his “grandpa” Bugenhagen, he comes to rethink his outlook on life.

Selected Quotes
“Hojo named me ‘Red XIII.’ A title with no meaning whatsoever to me. Call me what you wish.” - After encountering Cloud and his team
“It’s no easy task standing on two legs….” - Aboard the cargo ship
“If it’s all the same to you, I’d prefer we make haste. The heat here is drying my nose.” - Upon arriving in Costa del Sol
“I’m back! Nanaki is home!” - Upon returning to Cosmo Canyon
“I’m gonna see things through. I’ll see what happens to the Planet and then come back and tell you all about it.” - In the Cave of the Gi, after learning the truth about Seto
“I’m number 13. Am I gonna go crazy like they did?” - In the Ghost Hotel at the Gold Saucer
“All the life on this Planet—no, the very fate of the Planet itself—rests on our shoulders now….” - At the crossroads in the Northern Cave

From the time he appears as a research specimen in the Shinra Building to the events that unfold in his hometown of Cosmo Canyon, Red XIII’s speech undergoes a radical shift. We can see how deeply this teenager (in human terms) was affected by his misunderstanding of and disgust toward his father Seto. But when he finally stops trying to be mature beyond his years, he seems to regress into more child-like behavior….

レッドXIII

age●48
height●?
blood type ●?
birthday●?
hometown●コスモキャニオン
weapon●髪飾り

武器→P.71 リミット技→P.100

人語をあやつり、人間に匹敵する知能を有し、そしてはるかに長い寿命を誇る種族——星の守り神としてあがめられてきた彼らは、いまや絶滅の危機に瀕している。その最後の生き残りと呼ばれるレッドXIIIは、愛するコスモキャニオンの人々を守るため、やがては星を守るため、戦いに身を投じていく。

デザイン
「4本足のプレイヤーキャラクターというのは、これまでの『FF』にはいなかったので、ちがった味が出せたのではないかと思います。最初のころは、人間の言葉など話しそうもない、すごく動物的なデザインだったんですが、だいぶアレンジをほどこしました。コスモキャニオンのイメージに合わせて、インディアンっぽい部分も取り入れています」
(キャラクターデザイナー・野村哲也氏)

寿命
物語の序盤では、無口で思慮深い雰囲気を漂わせていることからそれなりの年齢を連想させるが、人間の歳で考えれば15、6歳相当(実年齢は48歳)。500年以上生きつづけられるほど、レッドXIIIの一族は長命なのだ。

初期装備
武器●ミスリルクリップ
防具●ミスリルの腕輪
マテリア●ほのお、ぜんたいか、みやぶる

ネーミングの由来
名前の中に数字を入れたキャラクターを作りたかった、という理由で命名。ナナキという本名は、インディアンっぽさを意識してネーミングされた。

イレズミ
その多くは一族に伝わる“戦士の魔除け”だが、左肩のXIIIの文字だけは、宝条によって刻みこまれたもの。それゆえ、宝条の手にかかったほかのイレズミ連中同様、何者かに自分の意識が支配されてしまうのではないか、との恐怖感を抱いているようだ。

尻尾
先端に、赤々と炎をともしている。人間(神羅兵)のふりをしようとしても、この尻尾だけは隠しきれないようだ。余談だが、2本足の女性は好みではないらしい。

父親
かつてコスモキャニオンがギ族に攻めこまれたとき、父親セトは母親と谷の人々をおいてひとりで逃げ出した——そう信じて父を軽蔑していたレッドXIII だが、“じっちゃん”ことブーゲンハーゲンに真実を知らされ、自分の生きかたを見つめなおすことになる。

レッドXIII語録
「宝条は私をレッドXIIIと名づけた。私にとっては無意味な名前だ。好きなように呼んでくれ」(クラウドたちと出会って)
「二本足で立つのもむずかしいものだな……」(運搬船にて)
「すまないが、少し急いでくれないか。ここは暑い、私のアカハナがかわいてしまう」(コスタ・デル・ソル到着時)
「ただいま~! ナナキ、帰りました~」(コスモキャニオンに帰ったとき)
「オイラは見とどける。星がどうなるかを見とどけて、そして帰ってくる。じっちゃんに報告するために」(ギ族の洞窟でセトの真実を知ったあと)
「オイラ、ナンバー13だ。オイラもおかしくなっちゃうのかな?」(ゴールドソーサーのゴーストホテルで)
「この星のあらゆる生命、いや、この星すべての命運はオイラたちに、かかってるんだね」(大空洞分岐点にて)

[セリフによる性格分析]
 神羅ビルで実験サンプルとして出会った直後と、故郷コスモキャニオンでのイベントを経てからでは、まるで別人のような口調になる。父親セトへの誤解と嫌悪が、人間にすれば15、6歳のレッドXIIIにどれだけの無理をさせていたのかがわかる。もっとも、背伸びをやめてからは幼児退行のきらいもあるが……。

Top Bottom