• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

AC/CC >> Remake Buster Sword Changes

Myst Knight

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I really think the old FFVII guard is better. The gold Crisis Core guard seems too "dainty", and the FFVII guard has more of that machine-shopped industrial look about it. I think Square Enix made a good decision having this remake Buster Sword carry aspects of both the FFVII version and the Crisis Core version. Best of both world, I think?

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
dh5uozchx8t51.jpg

1631737287056.jpeg
Link to post: Early dev photo?
EZkVKxoWkAAP2-2

In the first photo the early concept buster sword design looks like the gold hilt design with duller colors. Maybe this is what inspired the AC design? The second photo is from the first AC trailer, and the third photo is apparently from early development which had Angeal using the OG design for the buster sword.
Edit:
bustersword.jpg

OG design looked a bit gold here as well.

Last edited:

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
Could be, but all the other models are seemingly final or close to it, Maybe they hadn't made up their mind on how they wanted it to look? They did ultimately combine the designs for the remake.
Yeah could just be because it's a more familiar sword to use on the Remake Cover. Though I wonder when that mocap footage was done. The Remake reveal trailer showed Cloud with the steel hilt buster sword in 2015, which is what started this whole thread since it was combined with the Comp. design. We've seen Cloud use the comp. design in mobius and Zack with the same design in the storyboards for his scenes. They also didn't bother hiding the hilt in the OG/AC flashforwards, but they have reused AC scenes before. I really wish someone asked the devs about the design change in an interview lol.

Last edited:

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
final-fantasy-30th-anniversary-exhibition-0007.jpg

The compilation buster sword was used to represent FFVII back in 2018 at the FF 30th anniversary exhibition in the "Memories of You" section

It's interesting since it's also where they showed "The Words Aerith Left Behind" and Remake concept images. The Aerith monologue is also directly connected to Remake.
https://www.gematsu.com/2018/01/fin...er-seen-final-fantasy-vii-remake-image-boards
ff7remakeart-1485873878474_1280w.jpg

And apparently, this event was also where this key art was first revealed.
Edit: Correction by cold_spirit: "That key art was revealed on January 31st 2017, the 20th anniversary of FFVII. Square Enix debuted it during the opening ceremony at its Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary celebration"

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Clearly the sword's been fucked around with on purpose :monster:

I'm telling you, the Buster Sword's gonna somehow undergo a transformation that reveals its original golden CC hilt and bright red handle. It'll be a visual representation of Cloud uncovering the layers of his past and remembering his true origin and his best friend.

...Which is gonna be kinda weird given it looked like that in the flashback with Zack but maybe he did it instead! :wacky:

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
Maybe it's related to other changes like the stamp design? The compilation sword is still in the flashforwards.
Untitled2.png

They went out of their way to change this scene in chapters 8 and 16, so they could have easily done that again or at least blurred it like they did with the other AC scenes in chapter 18.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I think they may have changed the Aerith scene because they wanted her to be clearly seen for those able to catch the reference, and the differences in design between Aerith from FFVII-R and the Compilation are a bit more distinct. The jacket, hair and ribbon are significantly different. Out of all the main characters, her outfit changed the most.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think they may have changed the Aerith scene because they wanted her to be clearly seen for those able to catch the reference, and the differences in design between Aerith from FFVII-R and the Compilation are a bit more distinct. The jacket, hair and ribbon are significantly different. Out of all the main characters, her outfit changed the most.
Nah I'd say the fine details of Barret are much further removed from his original design than Aerith's are.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Love how this topic keeps coming back.

And apparently, this event was also where this key art was first revealed.

Normally I would never be so obnoxious as to correct such a small detail, but I have all this barely used FFVII knowledge in my brain, and this is a FFVII dedicated forum, so if not here, where?

That key art was revealed on January 31st 2017, the 20th anniversary of FFVII. Square Enix debuted it during the opening ceremony at its Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary celebration. I woke up in the middle of the night to watch a Japanese stream of the event, hoping for a new Remake trailer to drop. It didn't. I'd be waiting another 2 years and 4 months for that to happen. This key art is interesting in that it showcases a different, earlier design for Sephiroth. His pauldron is more detailed. They never updated the key art with Remake's current design, though they continue to use this image regularly. It bothers me to this day.

Top Bottom