ThatGuyMikey Plays Final Fantasy VI

• Thread starter Deleted member 13557
  • Start date

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You can thank Nomura for the enemy designs. He got his big break doing the enemy designs of FFV and FFVI. And his first character designs were Setzer and Shadow. You'll meet them soon :monster:

And yeah, FFVI has some truly memorable tracks. There's one FF final boss theme that rivals One Winged Angel to me, and it's from this game.

D

Deleted member 13557

A castle that is also a submarine. Sweet.

Liking where this game is going. The slave crown is rather interesting, and the settings so far are quite nice. Looking forward to learning more about espers and empires and whatever else this game shall throw at me.

Magitek armor is pretty awesome. Hoping to use that more.

Are you able to spam Edgar's tool attacks? From what I can tell they aren't using MP.

I'd like the map theme to be injected into my veins, please.

Following my FF7 playthrough, I found out about Kefka. Been kinda spoiled in that regard :( Alas, it's the journey, not the destination.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, real talk. How useful a character is basically depends on preference, and who you want to see/engage with most in the game and battle.

Mog is cute and a very versatile party member. His dances are really cool and useful.

Edgar is a strong DPS (or DPT since this is all turn based lol) with good versatility. He also has unique status effects that are inflicted by some of his later tools.

Blue Magic is kinda/sorta useful, however you don't really need it. But it's worth collecting since some can be learned early and are useful and some skills are missable forever.

Sabin is fucking legit. Blitz puts in work, and he's very versatile and very strong. Like, there's a reason he's used a lot. Just learn his inputs and put them in properly.

Celes is a legit warrior mage hybrid and Runic is broke. It'll save your ass in a lot of battles. She's got magic and might all in one package.

Terra will gain a powerful ability later on that makes her a spell slinging super-warrior. She's very useful and important.

Locke is great because of his versatility in equipment usage, weapon equipment, and stealing is very useful in FFVI. Like, there's a lot of good shit you can find in this game by stealing, so having him around and at a high level will make getting good gear early very possible.

Setzer is... gimmicky. Like, if you build him to be broken and exploit his unique weapons, he's a monster. But that's only if you build for it. His Slot mechanic on it's own (because he's a Gambler class) is horribly inconsistent.

Cyan walks the line between mediocrity and just plain poor. His Bushido just takes too damn long. But if you pull off the Psycho Cyan glitch... :awesome:

Relm's Sketch ability is no longer the disaster it used to be with the SNES. She's also good at controlling enemies.

Gau is like a Blue Mage on steroids. He doesn't just use enemy techniques, he becomes them. You can do some crazy shit with him.

Gogo is awesome for... Well, you'll see. :awesome:

For me, my primary party was always Terra, Celes, Locke, and Sabin. I'd sometimes sub out Sabin for either Edgar or Setzer. Depending on my mood and the battle. But FFVI is an ensemble cast, you can use whoever you like for the hell of it.

OH! And this is not explained or even hinted at, at all in game... But FFVI is the first FF game to introduce Limit Breaks. But they're completely hidden.

If a character is in "danger" status (i.e. crouched on the ground due to the low HP), and you choose to attack an enemy, there's a 1 in 16 chance they will perform a unique limit break attack instead of a basic attack. However, no character will do their limit break within the first 26 seconds in battle. They're especially useful in the coliseum that'll unlock later in the game, where the A.I. will pit your character against a random challenger.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
To highlight Mako's first sentence though: because of VI's age and popularity, you'll run into a lot of declarative statements online about certain characters being "useless" or "broken." But that's really only in the realm (;) )of complete optimization. All the characters are perfectly viable, so definitely pick your own favorites.

(And giving everyone a try is definitely to your benefit.)

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sabin is very versatile, but he excels at strength, stamina and speed. His magic power is actually pretty low. Not the lowest but like, 3rd lowest of all playable characters. What's interesting though, is a good number of his Blitz abilities utilize his magic stat to deal damage and the attacks are so damn strong, his low magic power isn't a big deal. :monster:

Like, Sabin is a very powerful DPS. He's one of those characters who's just all around a great choice to have around because he's just...a badass monk.

D

Deleted member 13557

The magitek armor is cool as all hell and I'm really liking Kefka. He's completely evil but he's also a little shit.
Can't say I've ever fought a moving train before. Loved everything about the phantom train sequence.

Another thing I really like here is the dialogue that appears in some battles, like when Terra uses magic in front of Locke and Edgar.

D

Deleted member 13557

There's the end of the Sabin quest. Calling it a day.
Shall move on to Locke next, and then Terra.

Can you not exchange relics when characters are out of the party? I gave Shadow gauntlet and I feel like that might've been a mistake.

Liked some of Gau's blue mage stuff. Don't imagine he's a character I'll use much when I have the ability to choose a party though.

Already having good feelings about this game :D

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
All done with the Sabin storyline, eh? Oh, I have a question for you: did Shadow leave your party? And, if he did, did he leave during a battle, or during a cutscene?

...And yes, this question ought to rock your world.

D

Deleted member 13557

Finished the three storylines.
Having to steal clothes as Locke to get to certain areas was neat.

Currently looking for a transformed Terra with Locke, Sabin, Edgar and Celes.
Loving the cast of characters with their qualities and drives, especially Locke and Sabin. Looking forward to seeing how Terra develops as a character / remembers her past.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm going to let you know right now, there are some serious and interesting thematic, gameplay and lore parallels between FFVI and FFVII. It'll be apparent the more you proceed. I find it very interesting because VII was drafted shortly after VI, and it's clear Kitase, Nojima, Nomura and Toriyama got to explore some of the same themes and ideas they touched on in VI, but in a much more different way thanks to the PlayStation technology and differing direction they took now that Sakaguchi stepped back.

I like to think of FFVI and VII as thematic/metaphorical siblings. The Gesthalian Empire and Magitek will start to look and sound very familiar.

D

Deleted member 13557

I was going to say that the Returners and AVALANCHE share some similarities, same with the Empire and Shinra. Except the Empire aren’t putting on a facade to the public, they’re pretty much publicly tyrannical and manipulative. At least with Kefka at the helm.

Although I’d imagine it’ll be explored to a much lesser extent and have much less significance to the story, the phantom train taking people to “the other side” reminded me of the concept of returning to the planet.

Top Bottom