BERSERK

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I got my copy of the Young Animal issue. I never realized how terrible the paper quality was on these things lol. The booklet of messages from Miura's friends and colleagues was very nice, and the last one is especially heart breaking.

Rest in Peace, Miura.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Final volume cover

unknown.png

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Volume 41 came out in Japan today, and various international news papers are running ads for the foreign releases.
What's weird is that one of the images they used is a copy of volume 27's cover clearly drawn by someone trying to mimic Miura, and not an image Miura drew himself. The back of Volume 41 says the future of Berserk is still undecided, but clearly some effort is being made to mimic how Miura drew. I'm probably reading into it too much lol.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Final volume releasing in English in November
The newspaper ad said "summer" so consider me annoyed lol. Also can't help but notice Dark Horse's phrasing there.
"The final volume by Miura-sensei".
Obviously the English rights holder would know fuck all about what the Japanese production is planning, but given I know Berserk is the best selling property Dark Horse has, I can't help but wonder if this isn't their little "fingers crossed" implication about a continuation. Or I'm reading too much into a poorly-phrased sentence.

tidus79

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dragoon Knight
Honestly I prefer Berserk not to continue without Miura and in any case I'll stop reading this manga.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Wow. This is interesting. They're going to take on the challenge and try to implement his creative ideas he left behind.

I hope it works out. I'm eager to see what he had planned. This is pretty ballsy but it sounds like they have the right mindset to make it happen.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Wow, despite everything I said before, I really didn't expect this!

Here, I'll say this much:

Miura's not making it.

Chances are it won't live up to his standards, maybe not even come close.

Most people understand that already, and that's why many people didn't want this.

But give them a chance. They deserve that much.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Learning more about Kouji Mori in the past few months personally helped assuage some anxieties. It sounds like he was basically the closest person in Miura’s life (outside of his family) and apparently Miura was even planning on moving in with Mori and his wife after Miura retired.

Also I do think the fact that this change won’t be happening mid-volume can help for fans to compartmentalize the differences. Volumes 41 and 42 can act as very clear demarcation points. (sorta similar to how the main Dune books were finished by the author’s son IIRC)

Or as this tweet has summarized

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The only qualm I really have is them continuing the volume numbering. I'd have preferred a more clean delineation.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think that would probably do more to confuse people than help though.

Basically the explicitly changed creative credits will have to suffice for that.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think that would probably do more to confuse people than help though.

Basically the explicitly changed creative credits will have to suffice for that.

That's fair. I guess it's no big deal

I know this is more a convo for skullknight.net, but it's calmer here than there lol. Aaz and Walt are gonna freak out when they wake up. I know an emergency podcast is gonna go up quick. I'm curious to see what they think, considering both of them are very opposed to exactly this. I won't lie, in my head I was thinking that Mori was like, the guy that would be able to do it, after learning his close relation with Miura. I just didn't want to say so because I didn't want to be disrespectful to him for the extreme burden this will be. Knowing he apparently knows more or less the whole story until the end from his conversations with Miura is a huge relief for sure.

Looking at the tweet, it seems they're already showing some new panels. I know the left image was used at the exhibition, but Aaz and Walter had surmised it was probably meant to be the first panel of 365. The right image is brand new, seems to be Casca's brand reacting to Griffith.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
That's fair. I guess it's no big deal

I know this is more a convo for skullknight.net, but it's calmer here than there lol. Aaz and Walt are gonna freak out when they wake up. I know an emergency podcast is gonna go up quick. I'm curious to see what they think, considering both of them are very opposed to exactly this. I won't lie, in my head I was thinking that Mori was like, the guy that would be able to do it, after learning his close relation with Miura. I just didn't want to say so because I didn't want to be disrespectful to him for the extreme burden this will be. Knowing he apparently knows more or less the whole story until the end from his conversations with Miura is a huge relief for sure.

Looking at the tweet, it seems they're already showing some new panels. I know the left image was used at the exhibition, but Aaz and Walter had surmised it was probably meant to be the first panel of 365. The right image is brand new, seems to be Casca's brand reacting to Griffith.

Whoa good catch, I didn’t even notice that image with Casca until you pointed it out.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I just realized I didn't recognize the brand image, and then I spotted Casca under it. Something weird is happening in her eyes.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I am happy to see what they do. I have the feeling Miura would have wanted the story to go on without him. Obviously I never knew him personally, its more just a hunch than anything. The last credited chapter to him felt like closure enough for me. Anything new I welcome without any pressure or expectations.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Kouji Mori also did an entire one shot Manga for Miura after he passed and it's genuinely touching and I definitely recommend reading if you haven’t yet. It's short but touching
https://mangadex.org/chapter/19929f9d-a210-4fe4-91af-5ef3f2436328/1

Another thing that has helped to ease some of my anxieties is that apparently Kouji Mori was one of the two main people that Miura went to for advice on writing female characters after the Golden Age Arc, Farnese in particular I guess.
See here for a link to a humorous and informative manga interview with Miura
https://theozilla.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F131213567008
Kouji Mori also added some additional comments to the announcement tweet from his own Twitter.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Saw this posted in the SkullKnight.net text chat. Apparently Miura did a painting of Griffith and used it as the image in his author comment around when Rickert slapped Griffith (2014-ish). To date this is the only time we've seen that painting.
miura-comment%20YA082014.jpg

Top Bottom